Articles & interviews - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #796
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
TSF: What’s been the most surprising thing about year one of fatherhood? Hardest?
Gilles Simon: Well, it’s not surprising because I wanted it. [Smiling.] > sounds like a typical French misunderstanding of the question which results in a great answer.
could just means since he wanted a child so he was very prepared to handle anything when he finally became one . In any case, Gilles thrives as a dad, no doubt about it.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #797
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Did everyone just ask him the same kind of questions? or they were all talking to him at the same time but write up different script? here's another version...

http://www.downthelinetennis.com/201...-answered.html

I was just talking to Tommy Haas earlier about being a new father and you are a new father as well. What is it like in terms of your career? Does it affect your career? How much of a challenge is it to balance it?

Gilles Simon:
I thought I was ready to be a father very soon also because of my wife, I know she would be a good mother so it helped a lot. And she is actually. It’s not changing anything about the tennis just on the tournament I just try to do my thing. I feel like tennis and my private life are totally separate. Just that I feel better outside.

I have some bad moments as all the players on the tour. Arrived in Montreal three weeks ago, hurt my neck in the bad moment, lost the first round. And then when you lose of course it’s easier when you have your family, your baby smiling outside the court.

So that’s the biggest difference, to have that outside support.

It’s better outside, doesn’t change anything on the court. Still have to fight, still difficult. I feel that the result doesn’t affect me that much now because you leave one month you really want to win, because if you lose three times first round you have the impression you’ve lost some time and it was a terrible month. Now I just try to do the maximum, as usual. I know I can win, I know I can lose also and when I lose it’s easier because I can enjoy the family.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #798
country flag lalaland

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...015645199.html

Gilles Simon: making every moment count
By Matt Fitzgerald
Friday, September 2, 2011

At this time last year, Gilles Simon’s mindset was in a world far away from the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

A day before outlasting Philipp Kohlschreiber in a five-set second-round encounter, Simon’s partner Carine gave birth to the couple’s first child, Timothée, back home in France on September 2. It came as a surprise because she wasn’t due for another month. The Frenchman proved winning isn’t everything, as he rushed home to be with his family after falling to eventual champion Rafael Nadal in straight sets two days later.

Now, with a year of fatherhood under his belt, Simon has resurged up the ATP World Tour rankings from outside the top 40 at the start of the year to No. 12 coming into the US Open, winning titles in Sydney and Hamburg and reaching the fourth round at the French Open.

USOpen.org sat down with the 26-year-old after he defeated Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the second round on Friday. Simon reflected on the two matches he's played this week and his goals for the rest of the season.

USOpen.org: You’re back in the third round at Flushing Meadows but it hasn’t been easy, as you were pushed to five sets in your first-round match and went four sets today. How would you assess your performances thus far?
Gilles Simon: It was not wonderful in the first round. It was a very tough match. I was really tired and I couldn’t move like I wanted to. I had to run a lot and was almost cramping at the end of the match, so I was really happy to win it because I was feeling pretty bad on the court.

Today went better. I felt like I could play my game. It wasn’t fantastic as I missed some easy shots sometimes. But I moved better and played the right shots at the right time.

USOpen.org:
Last year, after losing in the third round here in New York, you rushed home as your partner Carine gave birth to your son Timothée four weeks early. How quick have the past 12 months gone by for you?
Gilles Simon: It’s been going fast. We play the same tournament every year. Every time we come back and say, ‘man, it is one more year already.’ But I feel every year is important. I enjoy the time I’m spending on tour and just try to play the best I can. I have a good ranking, No. 12 in the world, am playing at a good level and am just trying to enjoy what I’ve done this year.

USOpen.org:
Speaking of your ranking… you’ve risen from No. 41 to No. 12 the past nine months and seem to be regaining the form that saw you reach No. 6 in 2008. How tough was it to come back from injury and what’s helped you get back inside the top 15?
Gilles Simon: When I started to play again at Wimbledon last year, I wanted to be in the top 20 at that tournament this year and I managed to do it. I think that was the hardest part of coming back, because when you’re out injured for a while and come back, you’re no longer seeded at tournaments. You’re not as confident because you haven’t played and don’t know if your level will drop down and if you’ll still be a good player. So then when you start to win and the ranking gets better, it’s easier because you’re more confident in yourself knowing you can do it.

USOpen.org: Today is Timothée’s birthday. Do you and Carine have any special plans to celebrate the occasion, either here or back home in France after the US Open?
Gilles Simon: Unfortunately they are not here anymore… they are back in France. I’m afraid I’m going to miss every birthday. I already missed the birth (laughing). When I have them around at tournaments, I try to see him as much as I can. Sometimes it’s not possible and right now they’re not with me, so I’ll wait till I go back to France. ( surely you can make them stay next year, is not like he has to go to school)

USOpen.org: You’re in contention to qualify for the Barclays World Tour Finals. What goals do you have for the rest of the season and how do you fancy your chances of qualifying for the year-end championships for the first time since 2008?
Gilles Simon: To make the World Tour Finals is always a very good thing, but when you’ve done it once, it’s not exactly the same motivation. I just want to improve, win some tournaments, some big events. That’s my goal… to win something big. I also hope to finish in the top 10. I don’t know if I will do it but I’m in a good position.

USOpen.org:
How would Carine rate your diaper changing skills?
Gilles Simon: Haha. I’m good but the mother is far better than me!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #799
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Most people would probably be completely bored of the father questions by now. But not Gilles.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #800
country flag heba-mig

heba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond reputeheba-mig has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...232777119.html

after delpo match

An Interview With: Gilles Simon
Sunday, September 4, 2011

Q. You must be very proud of your performance today. Which part do you think was most satisfying for you?

GILLES SIMON: Well, I think the end, just to win the match, because the fourth set was really close. I was break up, 3-2, and then I started to play a little bit shaky. Was hitting harder and harder every time. Finally I started to be tired and it was really hard to play at the end of the match. It was very good to finish in four sets.

Q. How difficult is it mentally to keep up your focus and your desire to run down the kind of ball he hits?

GILLES SIMON: Well, it's hard, but it's my job, so... I just try to do it as good as possible. I had the sensation on the court that I maybe missed something 'cause I was playing better than him in the beginning of the fourth, and then finally it was 5-4, Love 40 on my serve. I really had the impression that I missed something. I was a little bit upset. But finally I played some good points at this moment to save my serve. I was just focused on the end of the fourth set. I didn't really want to play a fifth.

Q. Were you angry at yourself when you went down Love 40? Did it almost inspire you in a way?

GILLES SIMON: Well, I knew I had to be more aggressive. But I start to be very tired on the court and it was harder to hit the ball. So every time he was playing a good shot, it was hard for me to run the ball then hit hard also. I was always losing some space and I was very far from my baseline some points. So I knew I had to be a little bit more aggressive. That's what I tried to do. I think I played a good serve and volley. Then I hit a winner also, then a good first serve. I managed to do it. It was a very good idea.

Q. The last time a lot of us talked to you you were in a rush to leave here and get on the plane to go home. Tell us what that trip was like.

GILLES SIMON: Well, it was a special one, for sure. Paris is far from New York sometimes; sometimes it's close. But, no, I really wanted to be back there. That's why I prefer Rafa not to take too much time when it was 6-4, 6-4, 5-0, just to finish it. (Smiling.) No, it was a special moment. I was really sad to miss the birth of my son, of course. But then I wanted to be there, of course, as soon as possible. So I was very impatient. Special trip.

Q. Was he already at home by the time you got home? Was he still at the hospital? Where did you actually see him?

GILLES SIMON: In the hospital. I was there just three days late. It's all right. Not much.

Q. Is he here this week?

GILLES SIMON: No. The mother and him were here for one month, but they left finally 'cause it started to be long. Also for them it's not easy.

Q. Is he walking, talking?

GILLES SIMON: No, he's not talking, walking. He's just one year old. He try to walk already.
heba-mig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #801
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

There is a crossed interview with the singer Cyril Mokaiesh in lequipe Mag. Cyril was at the INSEP with Gilles before he left tennis for a singer career. It's an interesting interview from both not especially about tennis. If sombody is interested i can posted it but i won't translate
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #802
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

I am always interested in Gilou interviews.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #803
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

yes please post it
Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #804
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

The making of the report http://www.lequipemag.fr/EquipeMag/R...02_175228.html

If you don't know Mokaiesh

Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #805
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Soulage
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #806
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting interwiew, it's cool to know things about Gillou's past, and to know about what music he likes, etc...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #807
country flag moi1227

moi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond reputemoi1227 has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately soulage said he wouldn't translate, but if someone has some free time, please, translate!

wow in 'Communiste' first pics are from my country. 'BEM, KOSSUTH, BARÁTSÁG, SZABADSÁG' and under someone's feet is 'LENIN KÖRÚT'. These are Hungarian.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #808
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Simon : «Des matches sans pression»

Mais que fait Gilles Simon aux Interclubs ? C'est simple : le 12e mondial prend du plaisir à jouer avec ses copains du Tennis Club de Paris. Gilles Simon a disputé les trois premières journées des Interclubs et sera présent lors de la phase finale.

«Gilles Simon, pourquoi disputez-vous les matches par équipes ?
C'est bien de jouer les Interclubs. Cette compétition n'est pas assez valorisée. C'est quand même un championnat de France par équipes dans un sport qui est très médiatique en France. Il n'y a pas assez de gens qui regardent les matches. Il y a quelques années, j'ai joué à Jean-Bouin contre Gaël (Monfils) et il n'y avait pas grand-monde. C'est dommage. Les gens aiment bien venir nous voir jouer partout et là, c'est gratuit et pas loin. J'aime bien cette compétition. Depuis que je suis tout jeune, je la dispute.

Tous les joueurs parlent de saison surchargée. Vous n'aviez pas besoin de repos ?
Bien sûr. Mais ce qui est difficile dans la saison, c'est d'être au top physiquement et mentalement à chaque match. Quand je joue les Interclubs, j'ai envie de gagner mais si je perds, je vais m'en remettre. Ce n'est pas un objectif. Là (Ndlr : les semaines du 14 au 27 novembre), je me repose, je suis peinard en Suisse, je suis bien. Mais les Interclubs me changent un peu, cela me permet de disputer des matches sans pression. C'est juste jouer en décompression.«Cela ne vaut pas le repos, mais j'aime bien mon club, je sais que cela lui rend service et cela ne me prend pas une énergie démesurée.»

Ce sont finalement des matches d'entraînement ?
Je ne suis pas encore dans un mode d'appliquer en match ce que je fais à l'entraînement. Je veux juste jouer et prendre du plaisir. Je m'entends bien avec tous les mecs de l'équipe (Ndlr : le Tennis Club de Paris), on est très content de se retrouver dans une super ambiance. Quand on fait 3-3 à Bondy, on se marre bien quand même. Je passe une bonne journée avec des gens que j'aime bien et avec des joueurs que je ne vois pas beaucoup. Cela ne vaut pas le repos, mais j'aime bien mon club, je sais que cela lui rend service et cela ne me prend pas une énergie démesurée. Quand j'arrive en match le samedi, j'ai tapé une fois le vendredi. Cela ne me sert pas pour mes entraînements. Pour les matches d'entraînement, je ferai une exhib en Espagne les 17 et 18 décembre face aux Espagnols. Contre Almagro ou Ferrer, ce seront des vrais tests. Là, j'aurais repris l'entraînement depuis deux ou trois semaines et je pourrais essayer de mettre des choses en place dans des matches qui ne sont pas encore officiels.

Quel est votre programme d'entraînement ?
Je vais reprendre la semaine précédant la phase finale des matches par équipes (Ndlr : les 9 et 10 décembre au centre de Ligue des Flandres à Marcq-en-Baroeul). Et la semaine d'avant, je reprendrai l'entraînement physique.

Source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...-pression.html

Sorry, no time to translate, but he explains why he played French Interclubs right after Bercy and speaks about his plans for the off season.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #809
country flag soulage

today in l'equipe all his ambitions win Masters or a GS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq06.jpg (225.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #810
country flag lalaland

Thanks Soulage, for the article.

Here I have a version for those of us that needs running it thru the translator:

Simon vise très haut

Qualifié pour les demi-finales, où il affrontera demain Dolgopolov, le Français affiche de grandes ambitions après une fin de saison ratée en 2011.

UNE SEULE VICTOIRE en cinq tournois : Gilles Simon, malgré un très bon cru 2011 (il a remporté deux titres, à Sydney et Hambourg, et grimpé de la 41e à la 12e place mondiale), avait fini la saison en queue de poisson. Lui affirmait ne pas s’inquiéter et être en phase d’apprentissage vers un nouveau style de jeu porté vers l’attaque, censé lui permettre de dépasser le 6e rang mondial, qu’il avait atteint en 2009. « Il se dit que le jeu qu’il a pratiqué jusqu’à présent ne lui suffira pas pour réaliser ses objectifs, et donc qu’il doit le faire évoluer, aussi bien au niveau technique que mental, en étant plus audacieux, explique son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne. Il a essayé de mettre ça en place en fin de saison dernière, et c’est passé par des matches pourris. Je dois reconnaître qu’après Bercy, il ne savait pas trop où il en était, mais je crois qu’il y avait aussi une vraie fatigue physique et mentale qui lui avait fait perdre patience, enthousiasme et envie. »

C’est pourquoi tout de suite après l’ultime tournoi de la saison, les deux hommes ont fait le point et soigneusement élaboré leur stratégie. « On a mis tout à plat. On est convenus que la priorité était de retrouver un système performant en se mettant en situation de jeu et en faisant le maximum de points. » Ça tombait bien, Simon avait prévu toute une série d’exhibitions (en plus des interclubs). Après seulement deux semaines de vacances, il y a battu (à chaque fois en deux sets) Gasquet, Verdasco, Lopez et Almagro. « L’envie est revenue tout de suite, poursuit Tulasne. Juste après Bercy, après seulement quelques jours de repos, ça allait déjà mieux, la tension était retombée, il était plus relax... » Relax, Simon l’est complètement cette semaine à Brisbane, où il n’a toujours pas perdu un set en trois matches. Hier, bien qu’irrité par la réussite insolente de son adversaire en début de match (« S’il jouait constamment à ce niveau, il ne serait jamais 55e mondial ! »), le Français a tranquillement pris sa revanche (7-6, 6-4) sur le Colombien Santiago Giraldo, qui l’avait battu ici même l’année dernière au premier tour.

« Remporter un Masters 1000 ou un Grand Chelem »
« C’est vrai, ce sont des matches que je dois gagner, mais j’en ai déjà perdu des comme ça ! fait-il remarquer, avant de clairement exposer ses ambitions pour 2012. Je ne me suis pas fixé d’objectif en termes de classement, mais en termes de résultats. J’aimerais remporter un Masters 1000 ou un Grand Chelem. C’est quelque chose qui est à ma portée. Chaque année, il y a un ou deux Masters 1000 où les quatre (Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray) sont battables. Il faut prendre sa chance et arriver à occulter le fait que d’habitude ils te mettent des roustes ! » Au fait, cette évolution en profondeur de son jeu, il n’est toujours pas décidé à en parler ? « Non, c’est trop sensible. Quand un joueur progresse, l’évolution est très fine. Ce n’est pas comme si j’allais procéder à un bouleversement monumental dans mon jeu. Je dis toujours que lorsque Söderling est passé de la 30e à la 5e place mondiale, il jouait de la même manière, mais il avait progressé grâce à quelques nuances. Moi, je cherche mon truc à moi... » OLIVIER VALENZA

The translated title makes me laugh. Simon is very high , as if the writer is saying he is *high* to set such tough goals, but I'm sure things are usually lost in translation. I think at this point of his career, this is really what he should be aiming at. So I agree on his assessment of his own situation. Go for it, Gilles.