Articles & interviews - Page 49 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #721
country flag Shooting Star

Shooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Sorry, a lot of work at the moment, here's a quick translation of the interview:
- Your girlfriend tries to encourage you to go out more...
- She's bored during tournaments. I don't do many things. I stay home at night.
Dingue, dingue, dingue! She must be crazy, keep him at home, AT NIGHT!

He's so sweet...
Shooting Star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #722
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijan View Post
Noah is such a diva anyway He said once that he was relieved that Pioline who had reached the final in Roland Garros after him didn't win the whole tournament, as Noah wanted to be left the one and only in the French crowd's heart. Seriously.
I don't know anything about that sentence (seriously it's not Noah's way to say that, except that he can joke of course and in modern times people seldom understand jokes ; people who have met Noah in real life never gave me that impression that "he's a diva", rather the opposite ... but I know that I've read many young French people, I mean fans, who are jealous about Noah because they are fed-up hearing about him and have not known him as a tennis player ; by the way, I have no problem with what Simon said about Noah, and I doubt Noah was "offended" about that, maybe some others were, like Forget or Gachassin who are not very opened and have an incredible esteem for Noah )

but I'm at least certain that Pioline (who has become an idol recently for his mental and as a way to rebel against these "old glories" Noah-Leconte ... but if there was a diva in French tennis, he can certainly apply for that ) never reached Roland-Garros final. Semifinal once. Like Grosjean and Monfils.

The only one who reached RG final after Noah is Leconte in 1988.

Last edited by duong : 02-08-2010 at 04:48 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #723
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

pas besoin de me "casser", comme ça, je ne sais combien de jours après que j'ai posté cela

I mistook final with semifinal, indeed, I apology. But Noah said this in a video documentary about his life -not only the tennis one- I think which was broadcasted on Canal + a few months ago.. I deleted it from my hard drive not too long ago unfortunately. It was not a joke, he was being serious, he admitted to the journalist that back then he was secretely hoping for Pioline to lose (Pioline then was the only French player seriously able to win a major) so he would not be forgotten in the hearts of the Frenchmen.

I don't dislike Noah, I don't feel much about him to be honest. I find his music to be crap, and I'm too young to have ever seen him play, but I respect what he's doing regards to humanitary actions. I'm not "jealous" or anything But I do find tiring that everyone only speaks about him, our boys of today are the actual players and should be the ones to be talked about.

I was surprised when it was said that he was having hard feelings about Gilles saying this, because the character more stroke me as a cool and laid-back person with a lot of humour who could take it. But he reacted like that, which is very diva-like to me.

(And I really dislike Pioline and Leconte by the way, who are real divas indeed, a lot more than Noah )
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #724
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pas besoin de me "casser", comme ça, je ne sais combien de jours après que j'ai posté cela
it's really not personal about you : usually when I say things like that, I refer to several persons I read who gave me the same impression, then I react once, but it's not about you, the special person who has just spoken, it's about multiple persons.

And the fact is that I read several young French people with a "rebellion" against Noah.

Quote:
But Noah said this in a video documentary about his life -not only the tennis one- I think which was broadcasted on Canal + a few months ago.. I deleted it from my hard drive not too long ago unfortunately. It was not a joke, he was being serious, he admitted to the journalist that back then he was secretely hoping for Pioline to lose (Pioline then was the only French player seriously able to win a major) so he would not be forgotten in the hearts of the Frenchmen.
I don't know, I'm surprised about that, I rather thought I had heard him several months ago saying that he was fed-up that people still spoke to him about his victory in RG, and fed-up that no other Frenchman had won it since then.

That's what I remembered

And Noah has no problem about "being forgotten" at all : I mean if you consider his fame about singing, about "favorite Frenchman award", does he have any fame problem ?

I still think that you misunderstood what you heard : maybe it's just the same words which I just mentioned, but interpreted another way. My memory was rather that he was fed-up being said that he was the last French RG winner

Quote:
I don't dislike Noah, I don't feel much about him to be honest. I find his music to be crap, and I'm too young to have ever seen him play, but I respect what he's doing regards to humanitary actions. I'm not "jealous" or anything But I do find tiring that everyone only speaks about him, our boys of today are the actual players and should be the ones to be talked about.
I'm also fed-up how some people like Forget or Gachassin or even many journalists talk about Noah as an idol or a "grand gourou", etc ...

It started especially with the victory in Davis Cup in 1991.

It's just too much

Noah is very social and has a lot of charisma, then it was natural that the cover was very much on him for that Davis Cup victory, and that he made something like "Saga Africa" ...

Since then this has carried on ...

But it's not Noah who is a diva, as I told you people generally say that he's a very simple and natural person, it's rather some people, among whom some now important French tennis leaders (I mean esp Forget and Gachassin, and also journalists) who put him too much as an "idol".

I also don't like it.

But it's not a reason to say liars about him like "he's a diva" ...

I've also read people who said that he was not good at tennis and extremely lucky to win RG. Well there's some truth in it (his technique was surely not a great one) but it also ignores a lot about what happened in that time (people ignore how consistent he was at that level, finishing in the year-end top-10 6 years in a row, 8 years in top-12, winning several clay "masters series" beside winning RG ...)

It's always this way to exaggerate small things and "devilize" people

Noah's time as a tennis player is very old now, and many people don't have a fair view on it : always exaggerations in one way or another

And there's also that "rebellion" of young people, esp young fans, against that "old idol". With a part of "jealousy" but "rebellion" is more the correct word.

Well it's quite normal for young people to "rebel" against an old idol, esp when he has annoying worshippers like Forget, but well, once again, it's not a reason to say "he's a diva" when you don't know him.

Quote:
I was surprised when it was said that he was having hard feelings about Gilles saying this, because the character more stroke me as a cool and laid-back person with a lot of humour who could take it. But he reacted like that, which is very diva-like to me.
I don't know, I just saw a translation by Francoise of a sentence said by Simon in an interview

But Simon also says that when he spoke with Noah, they only spoke about music

This sounds not very clear to me.

Certainly Forget and Gachassin would react like that : that's clearly their way to speak about "idols" or "models", but Noah

And who does Simon speak with ? People like Forget and Gachassin, not with Noah (or only once and to speak about music ).

Well ...

PS : Leconte is more "stupid" than diva, I rather guess that he's far less a diva than Pioline, my parents met him once and he was very natural. He doesn't have an high IQ and didn't have a high education, his background was not as good as Forget's or Pioline's from what I know, that's why sometimes he says silly things

Last edited by duong : 02-08-2010 at 06:24 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #725
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I doubt Noah was "offended" about that
I know it sounds silly, but that's what has been said:
http://xs.to/image-EDF5_4B0D126A.jpg

As for the discussion about him being a diva, I think he also totally cultivates that "Saviour" image himself.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #726
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But it's not a reason to say liars about him like "he's a diva" ...
"Lies". Liar = menteur

Ne sois pas si catégorique, ce serait sympa. J'ai sûrement dû mal m'exprimer en anglais, alors je le redis maintenant : ça m'a vraiment surprise de le voir réagir de la sorte alors que je l'avais toujours vu comme le mec très cool, sur qui les critiques glissent comme l'eau sur les plumes d'un canard. J'ai employé le terme diva faute de mieux, pour qualifier son attitude dans ce cas précis, pas son personnage de manière générale. Je n'ai rien contre lui, ni jalousie, ni rébellion, c'est juste que Noah comme grand joueur de tennis, ça ne me fait ni chaud ni froid. Je suis de la génération de Gilles, et pour moi c'est un chanteur, basta.

Quote:
I still think that you misunderstood what you heard

As you did not see the interview and I did, it's a very presomptious thing to assume.
But I promise I did not misunderstand. I'm still able to tell the difference between "I'm fed up with being the last RG winner, hopefully someone will win it soon" and "I was hoping Pioline wouldn't make it so I could stay in the hearts as the best French champion ever."

Plus it has nothing to do with one another, as he was explaining what he felt at the time of Pioline being in semis (how long ago was that, 10, 15 years ?) He might very well have changed of opinion today and hope a Frenchman will make it. Did he have this fame about singing back then ? I'm not sure. Plus there is a difference between being remembered as a sportman and as a singer. Not the same public.

What's more, I fail to see this rebellion you're mentionning. I mean, neither of the young guns act like this -what Gilles said about Noah being a singer in his mind and not a tennis player is just very accurate, without any hard feelings. I feel like this too. The problem doesn't come from the young people who is ready to move on and welcome a new champion, but from the old ones who are still cherishing an old and long gone glory. I don't see the British worshipping Fred Perry like we do Noah. They only see Murray today. Ok, they last won in 1936 but still

I'll try to find you the video, so you can see by yourself. This sentence about Pioline is actually the only thing I remember from it, as I was quite shocked, so I'd be very surprised that I "misunderstood". But for now, maybe we should drop the off topic.

Last edited by Keijan : 02-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #727
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I find your discussion very interesting, and not at all off topic
Being just about old enough to remember Noah winning RG and having watched him play he always struck me as quite a cool character, didn't he admit to smoking hash before he played matches in the early eighties? Anyway, it's fascinating hearing the inside track on the players I watched as a kid Despite having my illusions of Leconte being a charming witty man torn to shreds a while ago on this very forum Carry on

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #728
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I found this discussion rather interesting too.

I don't know anything about Noah, but I did watch Pioline, Forget and Leconte in their time and didn't remember any of them being diva-ish, but I didn't follow them much outside the courts. I mean, compare to those real divas in tennis, they are probably down to earthy .

I'm reading Agassi's book now, I want to read it so I can say that he is a prick and not get accused of not knowing much about him . I hope Sampras will one day write a book too so we can find out what he thinks about Agassi .
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #729
country flag Shooting Star

Shooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond reputeShooting Star has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I found this discussion rather interesting too.

I don't know anything about Noah, but I did watch Pioline, Forget and Leconte in their time and didn't remember any of them being diva-ish, but I didn't follow them much outside the courts. I mean, compare to those real divas in tennis, they are probably down to earthy .

I'm reading Agassi's book now, I want to read it so I can say that he is a prick and not get accused of not knowing much about him . I hope Sampras will one day write a book too so we can find out what he thinks about Agassi .
I'm reading his book too! I found it odd how even though Pete was probably his biggest rival, they kind of hung out together as friends, like he took him to see a musical! It's just a weird concept to me!

And I too found the discussion interesting, especially the french! I'm studying it at school so it was a nice little test for me!
Shooting Star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #730
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't an article or interview but I just got sent a link to a Gillou blog in Spanish http://gilles-simonblog.blogspot.com/ I told Dani she should pop in and say hi here

Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #731
country flag Frankie

Frankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond repute

Interview from Wimbledon (source http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...385423905.html)

Gilles Simon Wimbledon Interview June 24th 2010

Q. Obviously with the way the draw has worked out, could be Andy Murray in the next round. Just your thoughts on that. Obviously be strong crowd support for him.

GILLES SIMON: The strong crowd is not a problem. I know it. I played Rafa in semis in Madrid and the crowd was not for me, so it will be the same, I think.

But if I play against Andy, that would be nice for me, because it's long time I didn't play a match like this against a really top player in a slam.

So I'm gonna see how I will play on the court. I hope I will be doing something good. I'm just testing myself on the match and on this tournament, so I don't have really ‑‑ I don't have expectation about the result at the end. I will just play my match and we will see.

Q. Every year you've been to Wimbledon you've improved from the previous year. Is this year going to be the quarterfinals?

GILLES SIMON: I don't know. I hope. But I'm not in my best shape also, and Andy is a very good player.

Still, he play against Jarkko, who is playing very good also. So I'm not sure he's gonna win 100%.

But for sure my next opponent will be tough to defeat. I have no pressure. If it's Andy, I lost against him when I was playing my best tennis, so this time I don't know.

Q. How is your knee? Are you still having problems, or are you fully recovered now?

GILLES SIMON: Normally I'm fully recovered, but I can still feel the pain. For the maybe next two months, next or three months, there are still a risk for me.

But actually I have no pain. As you can see, I have no strap. I don't take any antiinflammatories. Normally I'm okay.

Q. Which is a harder prospect: Murray at Wimbledon or Nadal in Madrid?

GILLES SIMON: Quite the same, but Nadal was No. 1 and was playing amazing tennis in 2008. So I don't know. And I won this one.

So Murray, I don't know. I will tell you after the match.

Q. We see every year at Roland Garros French players don't do so well in their home tournament. It's been not as long as Fred Perry for here, but French players haven't won in Paris for a while. Do you admire the way Andy Murray handles the pressure at Wimbledon? Because he's our only player, where you've got lots of good players.

GILLES SIMON: For sure he's alone. But for us, yes, we have the pressure, but we are many players, so it's a little bit easier.

For him it's hard, because you know, I have an apartment right here. The guy told me, Murray didn't win anything for the last six months. That's a shame. Come on, he's playing good. He played a little final in Australia.

He said, No, no, no. He didn't win. He has to win. So I can feel a little bit the pressure he have.

But I just think he's doing the maximum. Last year he reached the semifinal; it was a good result, I think. He played a nice match, even if he lost this one. I think he's doing good.

Q. Do you feel under pressure? Obviously with the World Cup, will you restore some pride to French sport here?

GILLES SIMON: For us, no, I don't care what they did. It's not the same sport. It's really different. I think ‑‑ that's a shame also. Football is football. We are just playing tennis.

They have one of the best team in the world. We don't have the best players in the world, so it's different.

Q. Will you be supporting England now?

GILLES SIMON: Not sure, so just gonna watch who is win. When your team is out, after you don't care.

Last edited by Frankie : 06-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Frankie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #732
country flag Frankie

Frankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond reputeFrankie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
He played a little final in Australia.

Gilles seems to have a good attitude approaching this match - let's hope he can be inspired to pull-off Rafa/Madrid Part 2!
Frankie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #733
country flag MsTree

Sounds like his head is in a good place

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #734
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

i posted it in davis cup but i add it her. he looks very confident for the tie and thinks that Nalby is winnable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simon.jpg (321.3 KB, 55 views)
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #735
country flag Silver.

Silver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond reputeSilver. has a reputation beyond repute

Post-match interview with Gilles (in french) - http://www.welovetennis.fr/open-de-m...e-gilles-simon

Here is a rough translation in English (google translate)

"Gilles, first congratulations. Great service, nice rhythm to the exchange, and especially we saw you very relaxed compared to yesterday. Is it because you've all done better than yesterday, or because his match average for a player of his talent brought you reassured?

"Thank you. I think that is the general appearance of the game, I had good service games, I found myself back opportunistic, and above all I felt he would not return, I hope it will continue! ".

A word on the package of Richard?

"Damn, I enjoyed playing against him, it would have been nice and we deserved it but it had its problems. This is not because I play Zverev it will be easy, quite the contrary. I do not do well. There was little confidence after so much down in the standings, while there is hot, it'll be tough but he has less experience than me in the finals, it counts. "

Do you still feel an audience fully behind you?

"Sure, it's nice but it can be double-edged sword, he must know how to help but keep right and do not ignite.

Metz is a new bounce to you?

"It's been a while since I replay well, but hey, I have a ranking that will be difficult to maintain, so it's no worse to realize my progress through this final."

Do you think it your best game since your return?

"This is a very good game, but my reference is the match against Roddick in Washington. That said my game is now more settled, I'm doing even when it is less good."

Are you going to prepare this game differently, staying only with Thierry Tulasne and cut you can be your companion and your mother here?

"No, that's a plus to have my girlfriend and my mother, I have no reason to put me in my bubble."
"

Have to say some of the translation is pretty amusing "A word on the package of Gasquet?" Hahaha. But you get the gist.

Couple more - http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-sport/2...ait-zverev.php
http://www.welovetennis.fr/gilles-si...ette-dynamique

Thanks for the memories... Andy Roddick.

Last edited by tiimetochange : 09-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Silver. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote