Articles & interviews - Page 46 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #676
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Thanks Fran Good to hear you've got a lot of work too, you picked the right time of year for it

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #677
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Here's just the thing about the slice for the time being:

They asked a few players during the tournament of Lyon. Llodra loves that shot, Jo says it's essential in his opinion, even if Gilles became world number 6 without playing this shot at all, etc. Marc Gicquel is more moderate, says it's possible to reach a very high level playing only with slice on the BH side, like Lopez, but it's also possible to be competitive without that shot, like Kolya and Gilles.
And Gilles is very categorical, as usual:
Quote:
L’époque des slices et des chips est, à mon avis, révolue. En fait, ces coups avaient un intérêt quand une surface allait vite et que ça devenait dur de contrôler. Hop, tout de suite, on passait par en-dessous. Aujourd’hui, on peut très bien jouer sans slice. Moi, je ne sais pas en faire un. Cela ne me pose aucun problème du fond du court, aucun. Ça ne serait pas une arme supplémentaire à mon jeu, je considère que ça n’a aucun intérêt. La dernière surface où le slice peut servir, c’est le gazon, ou alors la terre pour les amortis. Sur terre, un chip du fond, ça ne sert à rien non plus. Ce coup était utile sur des surfaces qui rebondissaient bas, la balle s’écrasait au sol et c’était dur pour l’adversaire de contrôler. De nos jours, les surfaces étant tellement neutres, le chip rebondit, tac, il s’arrête ici, et boum ! Certes, Federer utilise le chip mais il est de loin celui qui a le meilleur. De très très loin. Du coup, ça peut être une arme a son jeu. On a notamment vu tous les points que Roger a gagnés grâce à l’amorti sur terre. Federer est un des derniers à utiliser ce coup en fait. Et puis surtout, il joue son revers à une main, moi je suis à deux mains. Enfin, Federer ne fait pas partie d’une nouvelle génération qui voit très peu de joueurs l’utiliser. Si, moi, j’acquiers ce coup, il ne me servira absolument à rien.
Simplified:
The era of the slice is over in my opinion. Those shots made sense when the surfaces were fast and it was hard to control the ball. But it is totally possible now to play without slice. I don't know how to play it. And it doesn't pose a problem at all for my groundgame. Absolutely not. It wouldn't be an additional weapon to my game. It's of no relevance in my opinion. The only surface where it might still be useful is grass, or on clay for the dropshots. But the slice from the baseline is useless on clay. It used to be relevant on surfaces with a low bounce. Nowadays, the surfaces are so neutral that the slice will bounce to a perfect height to attack it.
Federer still uses it, that's true, but he also has the best slice in the game. By far. It can become a weapon then. We saw all the points he was able to win on clay with dropshots. Actually, Federer is one of the last players who still use this shot. The big difference is that he has an one-handed BH, unlike me. And he doesn't belong to the new generation of players who have hardly seen players using this shot. If I learn this shot, it won't be any use to me.

Last edited by Truc : 12-08-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #678
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Marc Gicquel is more moderate, says it's possible to reach a very high level playing only with slice on the BH side, like Lopez.
I remembered how I was amazed back then seeing Lalo not hitting a single backhand topspin for an entire match, but his backhand really got killed all the time then.

Anyhow, Gilles can learn it just to play some dropshots from the baseline. I'm tired of seeing him getting dropshoted and not being able to do that to his opponents.

Thanks Fran, for the article, translation and the French tips.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #679
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

He's obviously got it in him (Paris Ljubo shockathon comes to mind) or maybe he was just having an out of body experience that day. I know I was

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #680
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw the article, I had to think of Nat too who has been waiting for Gilles to add this shot to his game for so long...

Jérémy added it to his game during the last off-season (but it's more important with his style of game). I remember the journalists being completely when Jérémy explained at the beginning of the year that it was totally new to him.
Jérémy was delighted by this new weapon, I wish he would persuade his doubles partner to do the same! But Gilles is so stubborn.

(The articles about Jérémy, he actually says he was trying it in training, but had never played that shot in matches before:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...64#post8005264
Gilles said in Bercy that he doesn't even try it in training.)

Last edited by Truc : 12-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #681
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Arf! Time to put on the blindfold again.

Ok, let's pretend that interview took place just after the Llodra match and his answers were driven by his frustration at his opponent's game.

Seriously, what about Murray, Nadal & co, two-handed BH players of his generation with techinically solid slice BH? Suffice to watch them play to realize they don't work on that shot just for the aesthetic of it. Can't help thinking of Gilles' AO 4th round match, how it was easy for Gael to neutralize his whole game merely with low flying slice shots on his BH, how Gilles looked awkward retrieving them at midcourt with his flat 2H BH.. it was almost painful. The ultimate irony is that Gilles actually uses a lot of slice shots.. on his forehand wing. go figure. >_<

That guy need a coach.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #682
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I remembered how I was amazed back then seeing Lalo not hitting a single backhand topspin for an entire match, but his backhand really got killed all the time then.
I think Jana Novotna didn't hit a single BH topspin for her entire career.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #683
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle-rn View Post
I think Jana Novotna didn't hit a single BH topspin for her entire career.
But she's like 2 generations ago.

Quote:
The ultimate irony is that Gilles actually uses a lot of slice shots.. on his forehand wing. go figure. >_<
Yes, one that produced amazing shot like that one in Wimby. I love that shot.

And I agree that Gilles needs a new coach, he needs to stop coaching himself and let others do it.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #684
country flag turtle-rn

Quote:
But she's like 2 generations ago.
It can't be that old, I remember watching her live on tv beating Tauziat in Wimbly.

Quote:
And I agree that Gilles needs a new coach, he needs to stop coaching himself and let others do it.
Yes, he should stop coaching himself but it's not like he has other options at the moment.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #685
country flag lalaland

Quote:
It can't be that old, I remember watching her live on tv beating Tauziat in Wimbly.
I confess, I don't remember much about her, my last memory of her was that Wimby final when she cried on the shoulder of the Duchess. She retired the year when Momo made her mark, now Momo is retired , that's about 2 generations ago then .

Quote:
Yes, he should stop coaching himself but it's not like he has other options at the moment.
Perhaps we are giving Gilles too much credit and Tutu too little .

So back to that article:
L’an dernier, on a fait notre Une avec les 4 Fantastiques. On avait essayé de savoir qui allait être l’homme de l’année 2009.
Ah oui, je m’en rappelle ! D’ailleurs, je n’avais pas bien compris...

Pas compris quoi ?

J’ai le souvenir d’être très musclé sur cette Une.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #686
country flag Truc

Quote:
Arf! Time to put on the blindfold again.

Ok, let's pretend that interview took place just after the Llodra match and his answers were driven by his frustration at his opponent's game.

The interview is easy to understand with a Google translation? He says a lot of things he has already explained in great detail in other interviews since the point is to assess his season. Always the same stories about the necessity to change his game in order to be successful in Slams, where he can't afford to fight like crazy in each round like he used to, and he's glad because he has improved in that regard and is now able to win matches in straight sets, unlike in the past, etc.

He says his "intellectual" image is just a game in the media. For example, the fact that he plays the piano has been stressed way too much in articles. Journalists arrive with a definite idea in mind and they will write it in their articles whatever he might tell them. He doesn't play atm because he has no piano at home (he says it didn't get through the door, so I guess he has a grand piano).

And at the end he's asked to forecast the results of the "4 Fantastiques" in 2010.
He thinks Jo has learned a lot during his first complete season on the tour, he also experienced a sort of weariness at times and will learn from that.
Gaël is more mature, but still spreading himself too thin. He's improving fast on the court, though.
Richard went through a tough thing, but he's undisputably on the right track now.
But there are other players too who do great things and are not as much in talk as them. He thinks especially of Jérémy. He likes to follow all the French players, it's interesting for him to understand why Jérémy improves the way he does.

Last edited by Truc : 12-08-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #687
country flag Truc

He's also quoted in the Delpo article (p. 17) - he is the "pro-Delpo" one, while Seb plays again the part of the guy who finds Delpo not that impressive and says Fed should have won the first 2 sets and Delpo wouldn't have been able to come back then.
Gilles says Delpo is the embodiment of modern tennis. And there is a key factor in modern tennis: the surfaces are much slower now. Delpo takes full advantage of it. Since he's tall, he uses the angles rather than the power on his serve. Gilles was watching a Sampras-Agassi final again not long ago and noticed that Sampras was serving at 190 km/h and hitting loads of aces. Gilles himself often serves at 200 km/h and doesn't hit a lot of aces. So the bounce certainly was different at that time.
The other big factor is that some shots have disappeared in modern tennis, like the slice. It was useful when the ball was hard to control. But a player like Delpo has everything under control on the current surfaces, he always has enough time to execute his shots and hence doesn't use the slice.
He'll stay at the top for a long time, no doubt.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #688
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's also quoted in the Delpo article (p. 17) - he is the "pro-Delpo" one, while Seb plays again the part of the guy who finds Delpo not that impressive and says Fed should have won the first 2 sets and Delpo wouldn't have been able to come back then.
Gilles says Delpo is the embodiment of modern tennis. And there is a key factor in modern tennis: the surfaces are much slower now. Delpo takes full advantage of it. Since he's tall, he uses the angles rather than the power on his serve. Gilles was watching a Sampras-Agassi final again not long ago and noticed that Sampras was serving at 190 km/h and hitting loads of aces. Gilles himself often serves at 200 km/h and doesn't hit a lot of aces. So the bounce certainly was different at that time.
The other big factor is that some shots have disappeared in modern tennis, like the slice. It was useful when the ball was hard to control. But a player like Delpo has everything under control on the current surfaces, he always has enough time to execute his shots and hence doesn't use the slice.
He'll stay at the top for a long time, no doubt.
Thanks Fran. I'm pro Delpo too. Not bcoz he's hot or anything (no hotness at all). Simply like the power, gamestyle and his mental!!!

After years of Marat's fan, I could use some stable players like Delpo or Gillou

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #689
country flag lalaland

Quote:

The interview is easy to understand with a Google translation?
Yes, it's quite easy especially at the latter part, and because like you said, most of the things he talked about here he already talked about before. But the translation for the title is quite miserable, so I search the phrase instead and found that it meant sth like: "I put things in motion", is that correct? But even that, I still can't quite get the essence of it.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #690
country flag Truc

I didn't pay attention to the title, sorry, it's normal you don't understand it because it's a bit colloquial.
"branlée" means "hammering", "thrashing". So it means he gave some of his opponents a good thrashing this year, which he wasn't able to do in the past.

"mettre en branle" is "to put things in motion" indeed, but it's a different word here ("branlée").