Articles & interviews - Page 45 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #661
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Here's Gilles' own assessment of his season:
Thanks. J'ai presque l'impression de lire une interview de Richard, il y a des passages qui ne sont pas très cohérents.. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTree View Post
maybe I had the same dream as Tutu
I confirm, you had the same dream as Tulasne. That's creepy.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #662
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

First part of L'Equipe article Fran posted above (there are a few stuff I'm not sure to get right, he sounds unusually unclear in some passage)

GS, you had had two seasons in one. Finally, it seems your injury did make you unleash your game.

It's true, I experienced new situations like playing systematically against lesser ranked players and that wasn't easy. At the start of the season, I wasn't playing amazingly well but I always managed to clutch my way out. When I started to lose once, twice, three times, especially on clay, I had a very hard time. I couldn't put those defeats in perspective. Experiencing an upset was a weird feeling. Following my knee injury, I came on court with another approach, free from pressure. Of course, it hampered my game but I was free of any expectation, I allowed myself to lose. At times, when the pain was gone, I felt happy to be able to give it my all and I played much better. I've won matches 3 & 2 while in the past, I've never succeeded in winning matches by outplaying my opponent with my own game.

What was the trigger?

When I defeated Dancevic 1 & 2 in Montreal, I played incredibly well. He said at the end he has never felt so helpless on a court before. And that's something new for me. That's why there has been a little polemic at the beginning. The lesser ranked players had the impression we were in the same league and they found it strange that I was so far ahead in the rankings. That was because I rarely won with an impressive scoreline; many many matches that I won went the distance. I for one, had the same impression when I played Robredo at the time he was 8th in the world. In every match, I felt we were on par yet he's leading 4-1 in our h2h. [pas compris la suite lol].

Still, you got your best GS results this year.

That's why my season has been very interesting. I could have stayed within the topten had I not lose so many matches I could have won. Not to mention the matches against better ranked players I could have won too. I could have done much better in MC, Rome or Madrid. Still, it wouldn't have changed my overall feeling about that season. I missed playing against the very top players. The only match I really enjoyed myself was the one against Nole in Shanghai because I felt I was again playing well and he was playing very well. Also the match against Kolya in Cinci and the one against Nadal at AO.

Were you too hasty in changing your game at the start of the season, trying to be more agressive and running to net?

Yes, but that's not the reason [of my poor results?]. I needed to change my game. At the end of the season, I won 20 points at the net against Ljubicic and that's the result of the work I started back then. It takes time to fit those things into place. I don't regret my decision, I'll keep working in that direction.

[I'm off for lunch, second part a bit later]

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #663
country flag turtle-rn

Was the change of status, going from the guy who has nothing to lose to the one being hunted, difficult to handle?

It's not so much a matter of status but what it implies. You spend your time playing against lesser ranked player, i.e you're constantly in potential upset situation. In every tournament, you must go through three or four rounds to play the top players. That's very hard. I've been amongst the top eight for a good part of the season which means I have at least to get to the QF to play them. That's a long run and a difficult one when you're up against players of the top40. Last year, I played all the time against the likes of Federer or Nadal [ah bon? ]. This year, all in all, I've played three times against Djoko. I didn't play poorly but if I didn't beat him it's also because I have less opportunities to play against opponents of his caliber. For instance, last year, everybody would have been thrilled if I made it to the SF in Marseilles; this year, all I hear is that I've beaten lesser ranked players and lost to Llodra. Having time and again the impression of not doing enough, i.e win a tournament, was difficult to handle.

Couldn't you sort it out by forgetting the rankings?

That's what I failed to do during a deal of the season. I felt from the media or from my entourage that I had to win against a lesser ranked player. That has contributed to tense me up.

Did other people's expectations end up clouding your mind?

Yeah, kind of. Having good draws I couldn't take advantage of only made it worse, especially on clay. From that point on, everything went downhill.

At one point, you were very hard on yourself, like in Madrid.

It was at a time I got good draws but couldn't make anything of it. I was still doubting the quality of my A-game. I said to myself I was missing opportunities to keep my rankings up. I began to doubt about my last year results and about my skills. Thanks to my injuries, I could loosen up and managed to crush a few guys on court. [>_<] It's no coincidence that I lost to Hanescu in straight sets in RG and pasted him in Wimbly. Game wise, those matches couldn't be more different. In RG, I couldn't do a thing, wasn't bold enough, he was playing well and easily had the upper hand. Next match in Wimbly, he hardly touched a ball. I said to myself: when your game is on, it's no fun for your opponent, don't forget that.

What will your schedule be now with that injury?

I'll try to resume competition at the AO but I'll go only if I can give it my all. I don't want to start a new season on one leg; it might be too short till the AO though; I'll have some examinations and won't resume training untill the injury is gone. I'll be very careful because it's always tempting to overdo after a pause. I wanted to play till the end of the season. If I can play at the AO, it would be better to be amongst the 16th seeds. It's hard to improve your ranking so you have to take care of it a little.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #664
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nat, for the translation.

I found his thought pretty clear, but then, maybe it wasn't as clear in the original language and you have to make some guess to make it clear, idk. But anyhow, I found this interview quite encouraging, looking forward to the next season.

Fran commented on the other threads how different we foreigners view towards Tulasne compares to the French's view, probably the same towards the player also. I somehow do thinks we foreigners are less critical, or maybe I should say more forgiving. I like that balance of different views, keeps me from becoming too apologetic for the player I like.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #665
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
I confirm, you had the same dream as Tulasne. That's creepy.
I dug out the dvd of the Nole match in Dubai and ~ no MPs I am slightly creeped out now

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #666
country flag turtle-rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I found his thought pretty clear, but then, maybe it wasn't as clear in the original language and you have to make some guess to make it clear, idk.
Yes some passages are clearly my interpretation of his answers to make sense considering the question and I just realized it was probably a presser transcript, with possibly many interviewers asking different questions at the same time, some of them not being noted in the transcript..

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #667
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nat for the translation

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #668
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I see only now in the press review of Tennis Magazine that Gilles had his portrait in Libération before Bercy (sorry if it was already posted in the Bercy thread, it was new to me.)

Quote:
Passé au tamis
Gilles Simon. Douzième joueur mondial, le tennisman français en lice cette semaine à Bercy se révèle ouvert, réfléchi, intense.
Par GRÉGORY SCHNEIDER

Le premier contact avec un joueur de tennis est toujours lointain, fantasmatique. Juillet 2008. Alors que le monde entier a les yeux tournés vers Pékin et les Jeux olympiques à venir, un tennisman français de 23 ans habillé tout en blanc dégringole le roi Federer dans la fraîcheur d’un début de soirée à Toronto, où la fine fleur de son sport prépare l’US Open. L’image : grand, épais comme deux allumettes, une retenue qu’on devine un peu farce - ah les gars, si vous saviez ce que c’est bon… - et une conférence de presse qu’il étirera tant qu’il pourra, entre le braquage de banque et les promesses de l’aube. Le deuxième contact, ce fut deux phrases magnifiques lâchées dans le Monde, qui disent beaucoup du sport et de son pouvoir de séduction : «Si mon entraîneur me dit juste "Mets ton coup droit là", mon coup droit, je le balance où je veux. Au-delà d’un certain niveau, il ne va pas de soi que la compétence de l’entraîneur dépasse celle de l’élève.» Bienvenue dans le monde pétillant de Gilles Simon, 12e joueur mondial avant le tournoi de Paris-Bercy qui débute lundi.

On met la main sur le bonhomme dans une minuscule salle aveugle pendant le tournoi de Lyon. Gilles Simon arrive, repart, revient, repart écumer les coursives à la recherche d’un paquet de bonbons, le trouve, affale son mètre quatre-vingt-cinq sur un canapé, s’étonne. «Les gens me disent : "On te voit partir dans tous les sens, on n’aimerait pas être à ta place." Sauf que ce gars-là, c’est pas moi. Je dors dix heures par nuit. Je passe mes journées à attendre à l’hôtel. Le temps qu’on a à perdre… Dans le tennis, le mec casanier part avec un avantage. C’est un boulot pour lui.»

Le troisième contact est passé. On y reviendra : les yeux brillants, une petite pointe de défi qu’on ne saisit pas tout de suite. On a une excuse : dans un monde du sport où l’idée de lâcher le mot de trop est aussi effrayante que celle de perdre un match, une rencontre avec Gilles Simon frise l’expérience extrasensorielle. Il n’a rien à vendre (et surtout pas lui-même), rien à craindre, aucun message à faire passer, aucune retenue sur aucun sujet. Partant, on se perd dans un champ contradictoire et intense où, parfois, les mots du gaillard précèdent sa pensée. Le fond du discours dit le haut niveau : l’humilité obligée de celui qui a obtenu tout ce qu’il a au prix d’une bataille et l’ego XXL d’un 12e mondial, rien entre les deux.

La musique. «J’ai étudié le piano au conservatoire d’Aulnay-sous-Bois pendant sept ans. Rien à voir avec le tennis : quand tu travailles une œuvre, tu es devant un chemin déjà tracé, prévisible. Mon frère avait choisi le saxophone. Pour mes parents, l’important était de faire des choses, peu leur importait lesquelles. Beaucoup de travail et de rigueur, des gammes pendant des années… Dur. Je ne me permettrais pas aujourd’hui de juger l’exécution d’une sonate. Mais j’ai conservé l’oreille. J’adore la musique.»

Sur son talent à la Play Station, colportée par un Gaël Monfils que Simon bat tout le temps : «Ça ne sert à rien. Mais je suis un mec ludique. Avec une manette ou autre chose…»

Sur la politique : «Si tu cherches à comprendre comment le monde fonctionne, il n’y a rien de mieux. J’ai beaucoup de respect. Pour y arriver, il faut avoir fait des études, du charisme… Mais ça ressemble à une cour d’école, "Maîtresse, il a copié, il est pas gentil…" Ce que dit un homme politique est surdéterminé par rapport à la ligne de son parti, il ne peut pas en sortir, on le sait tous. Pour moi, la plupart des sujets - prenez l’écologie, par exemple - n’appellent pas le débat. Mais il n’y a jamais de consensus. Les médias scrutent les politiques en permanence, les images et les mots circulent en temps réel. Ça pousse les politiques à adopter des comportements et des réflexes dont ils ne peuvent plus sortir.»

Et enfin sur lui : «Mon père était réassureur, ma mère ingénieure : personne ne connaissait le chemin pour y arriver dans le sport. Il a fallu inventer, donner du temps sans savoir pourquoi. Je n’ai jamais été dans les cinq meilleurs dans aucune catégorie d’âge. A 14 ans, je mesurais 1,53 mètre et je pesais 38 kilos. J’ai dû trouver des solutions. Ceux qui disent [tout le métier, en fait, ndlr] que j’ai une grosse confiance en moi ne me connaissent pas. Je ne suis pas Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Moi, il faut que je me brûle avant de comprendre qu’il ne fallait pas mettre la main. Mais j’ai toujours avancé vite comme ça.» Et contre le vent, aujourd’hui comme hier.

Hier, Gilles Simon a fait sa route sous les yeux d’éducateurs qui n’aimaient pas beaucoup le joueur - «Avec son gabarit, on s’est toujours demandé comment il se débrouillait pour faire avancer la balle», raconte l’un de ceux qui l’a eu au Pôle France de Poitiers - mais témoignaient d’un grand respect pour le mélange d’aplomb, d’effronterie et de vivacité du gamin. Il y a une anecdote qui en vaut dix. Thierry Tulasne, son entraîneur actuel, explique avoir cerné le potentiel du bonhomme en jouant aux… tarots avec lui à Doha en 2003. La mère de l’intéressé a donné son sentiment en peu de mots dans l’Equipe : «Avec les vexations qu’il a subies, j’ai trouvé que le sport élitiste (sic) était parfois cruel avec lui.» Et ça continue, mezza voce puisque les scalps de Federer ou Nadal pendent à sa ceinture. Quand Simon accède au Masters de Shanghai - un Masters est par définition réservé aux huit meilleurs mondiaux - fin 2008, il y eut quelques joueurs pour estimer qu’à ce compte-là, eux-mêmes seraient bientôt les rois du pétrole. Tulasne a dit une fois : «Gilles est anormal par sa normalité.» On n’est plus très loin. Tsonga est psychologiquement indestructible, une sorte de miroir inversé de son corps en porcelaine. Monfils a appris à cacher sa timidité et son besoin d’être rassuré sous l’expression athlétique et les mimiques du showman. Richard Gasquet était une star à 10 ans. L’histoire de Gilles Simon, c’est celle d’un type curieux de tout, handicap 15 au golf à 12 ans, excellent nageur au même âge, doué pour le piano, fort à l’école (le bac S à 18 ans), fort partout, qui réduit son champ d’expression au fur et à mesure qu’il grandit dans le tennis. C’est le prix qu’il a payé.

Pour le reste, la pointe de défi, on a eu l’explication au finish. Avant de partir, on lui a demandé quelle était la pire chose qu’il ait lue ou entendue sur lui. Son visage s’est fermé d’un coup. «"Tu n’y arriveras pas." Faut jamais dire ça à quelqu’un.» OK, mais peut-être que justement, sa propension à contredire son environnement l’a poussé à… «Oui, l’esprit de contradiction, je vais tous vous niquer…» Un blanc. On le sent en équilibre. Ça dure quelques secondes. Puis, ça bascule : «Eh bien pas du tout. Ça ne marche pas comme ça. Plus on te dit que tu vas te planter, plus tu le penses, et plus tu te plantes ; c’est ça la vérité. Mais qu’est-ce que vous croyez ?» Il est furieux. Le joueur de tennis fantasmatique a pris corps.
http://www.liberation.fr/sports/0101...passe-au-tamis
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #669
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

It's way too complicated for a quick translation, but we have 2 months to work on it.

They also quote an excerpt of the article about Noah in L'Equipe Mag a few weeks ago, Noah was furious and hurt when Gilles said at the Australian Open that he knows him more as a singer than as a tennis player since they were not even born when Noah won Roland-Garros.
What the heck is hurtful about this statement? Noah is such a diva. ^^ I find hilarious he made such a fuss because of Gilles' remark since he says more offensive things about them in the media imo.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #670
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Noah is such a diva. ^^
but that also made him a GS champion.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #671
country flag Truc

But he always acts as if he was the embodiment of wisdom and way more than just a GS champion, so it gives me a good laugh he sulked because Gilles had dared to say that.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #672
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But he always acts as if he was the embodiment of wisdom and way more than just a GS champion, so it gives me a good laugh he sulked because Gilles had dared to say that.
I totally agree with you and I am not keen on it, but look at the GS champions: they all have a very strong ego, maybe a apart from Nadal, but that's another story.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #673
country flag turtle-rn

So uncool to remind Noah he is a dinosaur. A singing dinosaur.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #674
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Who can fault the guy for telling the truth?
Oh wait, Noah can .
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #675
country flag Truc

Sorry, I've had no time to (try to) translate the Libé thing yet, a lot of work atm.

"Grand Chelem" has an interview of Gilles in the last issue (p. 20), but nothing really new, and also quotes him in the article about the slice (p. 14):
http://www.welovetennis.fr/medias/ma...dChelem_15.pdf
(Some gems again, "shops à une main", "côte 2010", etc. If you're learning French, don't take them as a model, their magazine is full of mistakes!)