Articles & interviews - Page 44 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #646
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

I see where you're coming from. I wish he'd given Jo a walk over but he was stuck between a rock and a hard place for the Ljubo match. And I'm guilty of wanting an injured player to play to the end of a match if they can, probably through some warped idea that a retirement devalues a win. I was completely in awe of Rafa in the Rotterdam Final, he played a whole set (and got bagelled iirc) but didn't retire when maybe he should have! But I don't see that there's any point in walking out on court if you're already suffering, home crowd or not!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #647
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTree View Post
in awe of Rafa in the Rotterdam Final, he played a whole set (and got bagelled iirc) but didn't retire when maybe he should have!
There are quite a few Nadal-fans attributing his (relative) decline to exactly this decision.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #648
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe they should look a bit further back into years of odd scheduling decisions and a self-harming game style

Anyway, I do agree with you, there is a lot of pressure on players to finish/play a match when they're injured, I'm just admitting that I'm part of the pressure

Old 11-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #649
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyway, I do agree with you, there is a lot of pressure on players to finish/play a match when they're injured, I'm just admitting that I'm part of the pressure
I have no answer to this.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #650
country flag MsTree

Sorry! Do you think I'm a bad person now?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #651
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Sorry! Do you think I'm a bad person now?
Quite the contrary. You accept an argument, even if you don't share it. That's perfectly fine with me.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #652
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think they feel pressure from the tournament organisers too. I mean in Nadal's case that was a final and he must have known his knees were too bad before he even showed up, it's not like he pulled up with an injury, he was bad from when the first ball was hit. Not showing up for a final which was prob sold out would have huge implications for the tournament itself.

Also look at the criticism Henin had when she retired to Mauresmo in the AO final.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #653
country flag MsTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Quite the contrary. You accept an argument, even if you don't share it. That's perfectly fine with me.
It's even worse though, I accept your argument, share it, and admit to doing the thing you dislike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
I think they feel pressure from the tournament organisers too. I mean in Nadal's case that was a final and he must have known his knees were too bad before he even showed up, it's not like he pulled up with an injury, he was bad from when the first ball was hit. Not showing up for a final which was prob sold out would have huge implications for the tournament itself.
It's such a tough one to deal with, and this would have been the greatest pressure in this particular example, but as Margareta also says, the media pressure is also great, as I demonstrate, the pressure from fans is also great and the player will also be putting pressure on themselves to perform, especially in front of a home crowd. But one of the mental aspects of good tennis is the ability to deal with pressure, that's not something even a coach can help you with, you have to live through it and learn from it - what doesn't kill you makes your stronger (I do love that phrase )

Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #654
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
But one of the mental aspects of good tennis is the ability to deal with pressure.....
That's not why I am watching tennis, though.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #655
country flag MsTree

Ah well that is something that I watch tennis for, I love the mindgames and manipulation and seeing how players create and cope with pressure. Of course it's obviously a better watch if they're also pulling off ridiculous winners but it's the mental stuff that keeps me entertained

Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #656
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Ah well that is something that I watch tennis for, I love the mindgames and manipulation and seeing how players create and cope with pressure. Of course it's obviously a better watch if they're also pulling off ridiculous winners but it's the mental stuff that keeps me entertained
We really don't need to highjack this thread for our discussion. What each of us prefers in tennis is obvious if you look at our favs. That doesn't mean that I cannot like the mindgames and pressure coping players (in particular if an independent off-court mind is added like in Gilles' case), but the emotion will never be the same.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #657
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what doesn't kill you makes your stronger (I do love that phrase )
I love this one better :

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.. or leaves you paraplegic.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #658
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
I love this one better :

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.. or leaves you paraplegic.
so true.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #659
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't seen the Tulasne thing, thanks!
I think the MP against Djoko in Dubai happened in Tutu's dreams, didn't it?

Here's Gilles' own assessment of his season:
Quote:
«Gilles Simon, vous avez vécu deux saisons en une. Votre blessure semble avoir finalement libéré votre jeu.
C'est vrai. J'ai connu beaucoup de nouvelles situations. J'ai joué systématiquement contre des adversaires moins bien classés que moi. Cela n'a pas été facile. Au début de la saison, même si je ne jouais pas incroyablement bien, je finissais toujours par m'en sortir à l'arraché. Quand j'ai commencé à perdre, une fois, deux fois, trois fois, surtout sur terre battue, j'ai connu un passage très difficile. Je n'arrivais pas vraiment à relativiser les défaites. Perdre en «contre» me faisait bizarre. Avec ma douleur au genou, je suis entré sur le terrain avec une autre approche. Cela m'a vraiment libéré dans le jeu et dans la tête. Bien sûr, cela m'a handicapé dans le jeu (sourires). Mais dans la tête, je suis entré sur le court avec beaucoup moins d'attentes, par exemple à Wimbledon. Cela m'a aidé à «m'autoriser» la défaite. Quand ça allait, j'étais content de pouvoir jouer à fond et j'ai donc beaucoup mieux joué. J'ai gagné des matches 6-3, 6-2 alors que je n'avais jamais réussi à gagner des matches en posant mon jeu et en jouant mieux que mon adversaire.

Existe-il un match déclic ?

Quand je gagne (6-1, 6-2) contre Dancevic à Montréal, j'ai joué de manière incroyable. Il dit à la fin qu'il n'a jamais joué contre un mec aussi fort. C'est quelque chose que je n'avais jamais réussi à faire ressentir à des joueurs moins bien classés. C'est pour ça qu'il y a eu une petite polémique. Les joueurs avaient peut-être l'impression qu'ils pouvaient me battre et c'était étrange que je sois si loin devant au classement. C'était lié au fait que je gagnais rarement sur un score aussi sévère. Je ne perdais pas, mais j'ai eu beaucoup, beaucoup de matches gagnés au troisième set. Par exemple, j'avais cette impression contre un joueur comme Tommy Robredo qui était pourtant 8e. A chaque match, j'avais ma chance et pourtant, je suis mené 4-1 dans nos confrontations. Cela me parlait plus. C'est quelque chose que j'ai réussi à améliorer cette année, surtout en fin de saison.

En même temps, c'est aussi une saison où vous enregistrez vos meilleurs résultats en Grand Chelem.
C'est pour ça que ma saison a été très intéressante. J'aurais pu finir dans les dix parce que j'ai perdu beaucoup de matches que je peux gagner. Sans parler des matches en «perf». J'avais la place pour faire mieux dans des tournois comme Monte-Carlo, Rome ou Madrid par exemple. Pour autant, sur le sentiment général de ma saison, cela n'aurait rien changé. Il m'a manqué de rejouer les meilleurs. Le seul match où je me suis vraiment fait très plaisir, c'est contre Djokovic à Shanghaï parce que je sentais que je rejouais bien et il jouait très bien. Il y a aussi ma victoire contre Davydenko (6-7, 6-4, 6-4 à Cincinnati) et mon quart contre Nadal (défaite 6-2, 7-5, 7-5 à l'Open d'Australie).

Est-ce que vous n'êtes pas allé trop vite dans votre changement de jeu en début d'année en essayant d'aller au filet et d'être plus agressif ?
Oui, mais ce n'est pas la raison. Il faut que je fasse évoluer mon jeu. Si je fais vingt montées gagnantes contre Ljubicic, c'est aussi parce qu'il faut que cela se mette en place. En fin d'année, c'était simplement mieux exécuté. Je ne regrette pas de faire évoluer mon jeu, je vais continuer. Je vais changer sur l'approche des matches.

Le changement de statut avec le passage du «joueur qui n'a rien à perdre» à «l'homme à battre» a-t-il été compliqué ?
Ce n'est pas tellement le statut, mais ce qu'il implique. C'est le fait de jouer tout le temps en «contre». A chaque tournoi, il faut jouer trois ou quatre tours pour aller chercher les mecs devant. C'est vachement dur. J'ai fait toute une partie de saison dans les huit premiers, cela signifie une qualification systématique en quart de finale pour affronter les meilleurs. C'est loin et c'est difficile contre des joueurs dans les quarante premiers puis un joueur juste derrière au classement. L'an dernier, je jouais tout le temps des Federer ou Nadal. Cette année, j'ai joué trois fois contre «Djoko». Je ne fais pas de mauvais matches contre lui. Si je ne bats pas ce genre de joueur, c'est aussi parce que je les joue moins. Par exemple, une demi-finale à Marseille, on m'aurait dit super l'an dernier. Cette année, on me dit que je n'ai battu que des mecs moins forts et que j'ai perdu contre Llodra. A force d'avoir l'impression de ne pas faire un truc vraiment bien, c'est-à-dire gagner, c'était difficile.

Vous n'arriviez pas à vous raisonner en vous disant que vous ne jouiez pas en contre ?
C'est ce que je n'ai pas réussi à faire une partie de la saison. Je sentais dans les médias ou dans mon entourage qu'il était normal de gagner contre un bon joueur qui n'était pas devant moi au classement. Cela m'a crispé.

Est-ce le regard des autres qui a fini par vous «polluer» la tête ?
Un petit peu. Je pense que ce sentiment a été accentué par le fait que j'avais des bons tableaux, notamment sur terre. Je n'en ai pas profité. Cela n'a fait qu'accélérer le processus.

A un moment, vous étiez aussi très négatif vis-à-vis de vous-même, notamment à Madrid.
C'est un passage où j'avais des bons tableaux et où je n'en profitais pas. Je n'étais pas encore assez convaincu de mon niveau de jeu quand je jouais bien. Je me disais que je laissais passer des bons tableaux qui me maintiendraient au classement. J'ai commencé à douter de ma saison précédente et de mes forces. Avec mes blessures, j'ai recommencé à jouer plus libéré et j'ai réussi à écraser des mecs sur le terrain. Ce n'est pas un hasard si je prends trois sets contre Hanescu à Roland-Garros et que je lui colle trois sets à Wimbledon même s'il y a le changement de surface. Dans la manière de jouer, cela n'avait rien à voir. A Roland, je ne peux rien faire, je n'ose pas, je suis un peu timide, il joue bien et prend largement le dessus. Le match suivant, il ne touche pas une balle. Je me suis dit : quand tu joues bien, ton adversaire ne rigole pas et n'oublie pas ça.

Quel est votre programme avec votre blessure ?
Je vais essayer de reprendre à l'Australian Open. Je n'irai que si je peux jouer à fond. Je ne veux pas commencer une saison à moitié. Cela va être juste pour l'Australian. Je vais faire des examens et dès que la lésion aura disparu, j'essaierai de reprendre. Mais je vais faire attention à ne pas reprendre trop vite car on peut avoir envie de forcer trop vite et se faire mal. Je voulais finir la saison. Si je peux jouer à Melbourne, ce sera mieux d'être parmi les seize premières têtes de série. Le classement est dur à aller chercher et il faut le soigner un peu (sourires).»

Recueilli par Sophie DORGAN
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...s-la-tete.html

Last edited by Truc : 11-16-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #660
country flag MsTree

He did have MP against Nole in Dubai
I can't think of any other matches in my time watching him that he's had MP and lost.

edit ~ I suddenly became unsure of that and I'm going through the Dubai thread but I can't see any reference to him having MP ~ maybe I had the same dream as Tutu

Last edited by MsTree : 11-16-2009 at 10:52 PM.