Articles & interviews - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Thanks to Ome for the heads up, a portrait of Gilles page 24:
http://www.journaldugolf.fr/multimed...zine/JDTn2.pdf

Or just the article, if you don't want to download the whole pdf-file:
http://gilles-simon.over-blog.com/article-20234776.html

Last edited by Truc : 06-10-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to translate the article during the match, but the style is too difficult for me, my English isn't good enough. It must sound quite in English, but it also does in French! In fact, I don't always understand what he's trying to say in French either.

The fluid mechanisms
He’s only 23 years old and lives on the ATP tour in a certain anonymity despite two titles and a 34th spot in the ranking (at the beginning of May). Let’s make the acquaintance of Gilles Simon, an atypical and endearing player.

Fluid. It’s one of his favourite adjectives. His vocabulary is as rich as the range of his shots. Fluidity of the body. He’s the hybrid animal of the ATP tour, as if the qualities of the octopus and the spider were amalgamated with the tonus of the kangaroo. The fluidity of a mind in permanent contortions too. Gilles Simon does everything at the same time, asks the questions, answers them and analyzes himself with many traits of humour, according to his inspiration. Maybe he will one day agree to flex the legs when he plays from the baseline, but we don’t really care, actually. Because he already plays divinely well and because we find him even funnier the way he is.
The childhood of a puny boy
Whatever happens from now on, the first part of his life has already been a success: “I’ve always dreamed of being strong and play all these big tournaments, so my dream has already come true. On the tour, we all have wondered one day: ’But what am I heading for? What am I going to do with my life?’”
It was far from certain he would succeed in it, though: he was ranked only –15 at the age of 18; at the same age, Hewitt and Safin were on the edge to win their first Slam. “But I knew from the beginning that it would take more time for me because of a growth retardation which had made me lose 3 years. I had to cling to other things. Like the fact that many guys, especially in France, had a late breakthrough. Forget and Pioline probably reached their best ranking at the age of 26.” With two titles already (Marseille and Bucharest in 2007), Simon is rather ahead of them: “I’ve never stagnated, my progress has been quite smooth/fluid so far.”
Laser or pusher?
He made a name for himself at the beginning of 2006 with his tennis made of spineless shots which prevented many of his opponents, especially the Czech Tomas Berdych, from playing their game. “But I’m hardly doing that anymore. The guys must have thought I was an idiot. But they’re not stupid, they got the idea quickly and things became much tougher for me. Now I’m relying on my trumps to win, and not on the weaknesses of the opponent. Even though I’m sometimes forced to use these tricks again when I’m not feeling well.”
But we prefer him when he shows all his potential of speed and creativity. “I like my game when I dare to play it. People will say again that I’m conceited, but I couldn’t stand being laborious. I’m too playful in life. I always feel like cracking a forehand winner which will go much faster than most other guys’.”
Je m’aime, moi non plus (I love myself, me neither)
Sure, he could improve his game forward and at the net too: “But I’ve seen Agassi win Grand Slams without hitting a volley, so…” Sure, his 65 kg don’t really impress the heavyweights of the tour: “But when I beat Canas and Robredo, they were completely exhausted at the end, while I was still able to run.” The mind is his real area of turbulence in everyday life. With a rare honesty in an environment where people often prefer to fool themselves a little bit, he says: “I’m not afraid anymore to take a beatdown against the best players because I’m convinced that I play as well as they do. But I have trouble closing out matches. As if I was thinking: ‘OK, I can win, but it would suit me to lose…’”
It reminds of one of his already cult statements, after his defeat to Youzhny in Indian Wells in March: “I sometimes wonder if I’m not afraid to be too strong…” Explanations: “It occurred to me during the match, just like that. I was playing well and I said to myself: ‘It’s too easy…’ It’s ultra arrogant and out of place because I was playing against a guy who has already made semi-finals in Grand Slams. But all the same, that’s what I felt. Same against Nadal at the Australian Open: I have a setpoint at 5-2, but I don’t close it out. As if I was afraid it would disturb if I won 6-2 6-2 against Nadal. I shouldn’t care about it. I guess I need to sort out my motivation, ambition and pride issues.”
Is it serious, doctor?
What about a little preparation with a mental assistant to find some avenues? “We have enough problems like that without adding new ones. I have the feeling that even if everything is OK, a mental assistant will find some problem. Like with the podiatrist: even if you have perfect feet, you can be sure you will come out of his office with insoles.” A psychoanalyst would possibly need a therapy himself after having met Gilles Simon…
He goes on with his inner trip out loud: “As long as people don’t think I’m able of great things, I feel like I’m not allowed to do it. In fact, I probably don’t like being judged… “ The need to be loved, maybe? “It would suck not to be loved, yes. I want people to be happy to come and watch me play. I’m probably not immune enough to public opinion. We all need to work on ourselves, and I’m in the middle of it.”
He’s finally found a source of inspiration just next to him: his old buddy from the Insep Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. “He has always thought he was stronger than everybody else. When he plays Feliciano Lopez in Wimbledon, he says: ‘Wait, what has he done except a quarter of final in Wimbledon?’ Jo doesn’t fool himself, he feels it. When he plays Nadal, he’s sure he will win, unlike me.”
Philippe Chassepot

Last edited by Truc : 06-10-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fran, you're always the best
Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fran for the translation of the article.

I appreciate Gilles honesty. His interviews are always interesting and unique.
Brego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
country flag Truc

Tennis Magazine has an article about Gilles. They never talk about him!
They followed him during 3 days in Roland-Garros. I haven't even read it yet, I just made a screenshot, I'll try to "translate" it later:

OK, I've read it now and I guess a summary will do ^^ - unless you want to know the detail of all his meals during these 3 days and if Gillou snores?!
The part about his reaction after the match isn't uninteresting, but they could have spared us some of the private stuff...

Last edited by Truc : 06-10-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #21
country flag Truc

It's an article about his daily schedule during the first 3 days in Roland, commented by Carine.
They've been together for 3 years. She's working in Roland-Garros and lives next to the tournament venue, so he doesn't have to stay all day in Roland when it's raining.
It's full of uninteresting private stuff, he eats chocolate cereals for breakfast by watching a sports news channel, she's mad at him because he's untidy, he eats a lot of chocolate, but doesn't put on weight anyway (he just needs to be careful in that regard when he is injured and can't play tennis), he watches "Sex and the City" on DVD. Etc. Etc. Etc. ^^
They seem to find remarkable he goes to the supermarket with her the day before his match and Carine means other players wouldn't do that indeed, but Gilles remains a very normal guy and it's important for him to do that kind of things. (I didn't get what is so special about it, TBH.)

The tennis related parts:
The day before his match, he practices with Santoro and Tulasne. Gilles never wants to do physical training during the tournaments, just a few physiotherapist sessions at best. His physical trainer Paul Quétin is not too happy about it, but means: "Gilles has won 3 tournaments in 15 months, he's the only French player to have achieved that, so we have to trust him!"
He sleeps well, while he couldn't sleep at all before his first round match in Roland 3 years ago. Now he is as cool as he is in everyday life. During the rain breaks, he plays video games, of course. It doesn't bother him a lot anyway, he's very patient. He doesn't mind having to play at 8:00 in the morning or at 22:00, he's always ready to play.
He doesn't like the court 1 and is very relieved his match is scheduled on the Lenglen.
The day of his match, he trains one more time with Tulasne at 10:00 on the Lenglen (his match is scheduled at 11:00).
30 minutes before his match, he completely cuts himself off from the others and gets ready for the match. Just before he enters the court, the last pieces of advice from Thierry: "Hang on out there, take advantage of the crowd!"
After his match, Thierry immediately tells him that Stepanek was just too good on that day and that he is happy Gilles really put up a fight.
The first thing he says to Carine: "I lost, I'm crap". She answers it was more a question of his opponent playing a great match. Sometimes he needs a lot of time after a defeat to come out of his silence, she says, but this time he starts joking again pretty soon and she knows he is going to get over it quite quickly.
Then the press conference, "not always pleasant after a defeat". He says again to the journalists that Stepanek was too good.
When Carine comes back home pretty late, he's lying in the dark, looking pretty downcast and watching a sports news channel, which isn't the best way to get over his own defeat since they're constantly showing the players who won. So she forces him to watch something else (a sort of "Pop Idol" show, I think ^^) and helps him to put things into perspective.

Voilà - there are even more details about what he eats, what he watches on TV, what time he goes to bed and stands up...

Last edited by Truc : 07-26-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Give me some paragraphs to sum up and translate for Gillou's forum, from time to time, or you'll end up exhausted

I just love the snores part c'mon, it's funny.

I HAVE ONE MORE common point with Gillou : I could eat cereals all day long as well

Last edited by tedlesurfeur : 06-10-2008 at 06:38 PM.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the two articles !
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #24
country flag Brego

Brego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond reputeBrego has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation Fran. The personal stuff was, well a little too personal. It's sound like Carine is good for Gilles. Maybe she can cheer him up after his 1st round Warsaw loss.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post
The personal stuff was, well a little too personal.
Yes, it is, but it also sounds worse in my summary. The point is not to give personal informations about his relationship, etc., but to give his exact schedule. But it ends up giving tons of personal informations we didn't want to know.
And well, his schedule isn't very interesting either, he's really just hanging around most of the time. He has this thing for the environmental program of the FFT on the first day, one short interview for Eurosport, one practice session at 15:00 on Monday, one at 16:00 on Tuesday - and that's it.

I often wonder what they do all day long when I see them at tournaments and why tennis players always complain in interviews they have no time to do anything else during their tennis career. And I'm still wondering. I know it was raining, but still...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #26
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

I think they don't want to walk all around the city because they want to save energy.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #27
country flag Truc

Quote:
Slow road to stardom
At long last, No. 2 seed Gilles Simon of France is making a name for himself

Gilles Simon is ranked No. 25 in the world and is the No. 2 seed in this week's Indianapolis Tennis Championships, but you probably don't know much about the 23-year-old Frenchman.
That's OK. Few Americans do.
Simon said fans recognize him in France, but he's never been recognized on the streets in the U.S.

With that in mind, here are five things you should know about a rising star with three career singles titles.

1. It's See-MOHN, not Simon.
He said most Americans get that wrong, instead pronouncing his name like the English first name.
Simon's first name is pronounced "JEEL" and rhymes with eel, but no two people seem to say that the same way.
"The first name, it's impossible," Simon said. "You say it and then he'll say it and say it after you, and you'll hear the difference for sure."

2. He's on the rise.
In 2002, Simon finished his first season on tour tied for No. 1,345 in the world.
He cracked the top 500 the next year, the top 200 in 2004 and the top 150 the year after.
He jumped to No. 45 in 2006 and finished in the top 30 last year.
Simon reached the third round of Wimbledon last month and saw his ranking reach a career-high of No. 25 this week.
"My goal in tennis is to be the best ranking I can have with my game, and I just want to (keep improving)," Simon said. "I don't know which ranking I can reach, but for the moment, I have my best ranking every week, so I hope it can continue like this."

3. As his backhand goes, so goes his game.
Simon's two-handed backhand shined in his first set against Nicolas Mahut on Monday, including a rocket down the left side to break Mahut's serve and take a 5-2 lead.
When he dropped the second set 2-6, it was because his backhand kept finding the net. He found it again in the third set to win the match 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, and he said he was confident it will be consistent later in the week.
"My backhand is my best shot for sure," Simon said. "I can hit it across. I can play fast, I can play slow. I can change. It's easier for me than the forehand. For sure, the backhand will come."

4. He's adjusting to America.
Simon lives in Switzerland and plays in Europe as much as he can because it's an easier travel schedule.
But he can't prepare for the U.S. Open back home because Europeans play on slower, indoor hardcourts than what he'll see in New York later this summer.
"For me, it's hard to play here because of the heat," Simon said. "That's why I came here to play a tournament before the two Masters Series because it's important for me to play good there, so I need to be on top."

5. His English is a work in progress.
Simon said most people in France speak only French, so he didn't pick up English until he joined the ATP Tour.
He can carry on conversations in English with a thick French accent, but he said he's still trying to improve.
"It's not easy for me to speak English," he said. "I try. I try. It's really not easy.
"I try to speak better, but it will come for sure -- like the backhand."

Matt Baker
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...55/1287/SPORTS
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #28
country flag Brego

Thanks for the article Fran. It was very interesting and informative.

Quote:
"It's not easy for me to speak English," he said. "I try. I try. It's really not easy.
"I try to speak better, but it will come for sure -- like the backhand."
I think his English is quite good. Much better then some of the other French players.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #29
country flag Grenouille

I don't think I ever heard him speaking English...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #30
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
I don't think I ever heard him speaking English...
Here for example:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIkKxDfIA4
(go to 3'00)