Articles & interviews - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #151
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgy View Post

for me the answer of that question is simple............Ana ofcours!!!
i've always likes her

btw, great new avi Scotty
I would have just said "I hope they can swim."

And thanks. He's so in it.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #152
country flag HoistDaColors

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I would have just said "I hope they can swim."
actually, the person that asked the question said if all of them couldn't swim. I saw the interview but the video was cut off right after the question.

here's another article. some interesting points but most of the information you guys already know. I skipped the first paragraph because it is just a recap of the game.

Quote:
http://sports.china.com/zh_cn/sports.../15180213.html
Simon Who? Before the masters cup very few websites with information on Gilles Simon even existed. The media didn't make much fuzz about this "master" that took the last train to get there--even when Federer warned everyone about this little Frenchman.

The rise of a tennis supertar usually has a few prerequisites: born out of a family with sporting traditions, young and blessed with physical attributes. The man, however, that produced the upset yesterday technically doesn't meet any of these requirements.

Simon, 23 of age, in a sport that sees most players become superstars at a young age, is not considered young. His height, 180cm, in a tour that averages 187cm, is easily glanced over. His results, after debuting 6 years ago, are unknown to the public. The 2008 season is the year he sparkled.

Simon, born in Nice, to a father who is an insurance agent and to a mother who is a doctor. His ordinary family has no connection to sports. When Simon picked up a raquet at 6 years of age, he acquired the nickname Poussin, meaning "little guy".

In French tennis, never has anyone put expectation on this "little guy" to produce any miracles. Everyone's attention was fixed on the so-called talented youngsters of Gasquet,
Monfils and Tsonga. "Nobody has ever paid much attention to me" Simon said a little begrudgingly. "But because they didn't concentrate on me, I was able to achieve my current results."

Yesterday, this "little guy" showed his own powerful performance to silence everyone. After yesterday's match, Federer walked into the conference room with his head hanging low. He shook his head and said: "This match was a replica of the match in Toronto." Three sets, same result." Federer didn't use his back injury as an excuse but instead, praised Simon.

Many people said the first time Simon beat Federer was an accident. What do you call it this time?

"Maybe it was a second accident?!" Simon said self-confidently with a smile. It's clear that he doesn't believe it was an accident.

Another article that's written slightly different.

Quote:
http://sports.cctv.com/20081111/100744.shtml
When you beat Federer the first time, people called it an accident. Now that you have beaten him twice, what do you call that?

Facing this question, Simon stared blankly followed by a silly laugh and said "A second accident?!" The whole conference room burst into a laugh. Even the tournament director standing in the back couldn't resist laughing.

Truthfully, to get Simon, this "darling boy" to said anything alarming is a difficult task. Even though he is young, but Simon, no matter he is playing tennis or answering questions, he treats them earnestly. And it is this kind of seriousness and concentration that allowed him to beat Federer yesterday.

"During the match, I don't think about anything. I just think about how to play well. I don't have any distractive thoughts. I don't ask myself questions. I tell myself: just play your best and that's enough."

Last edited by HoistDaColors : 11-11-2008 at 06:03 AM.
HoistDaColors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #153
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you, I love the
Quote:
When you beat Federer the first time, people called it an accident. Now that you have beaten him twice, what do you call that?

Facing this question, Simon stared blankly followed by a silly laugh and said "A second accident?!" The whole conference room burst into a laugh. Even the tournament director standing in the back couldn't resist laughing.
It's not in the French interviews and articles. It's priceless!
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #154

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

Fran, I wrote that before I found the video to his press conference. Now that I saw it, I think that was more mischievous than silly.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #155
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Marisa! For some reasons, I find foreign articles more interesting than French ones (too much overreaction in both ways I guess).
turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #156
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

The foreign press likes the "second accident":
Quote:
Gilles Simon serves warning to Andy Murray

Gilles Simon had an enchanting way of describing his victory over Roger Federer, the world No2 and tournament's top seed, that set alight the Masters Cup yesterday. “It was a second accident,” said the Frenchman, having been told that he holds a 2-0 win-loss record against Federer. Not many people can bring that to a dinner-table conversation.
(...)
Simon is a slighter, shorter, less expressive (occasionally) version of Murray. Both players think their way through matches, play this sport as if it is advanced calculus, with theories to be solved, angles to be projected - tennis by slide rules and dividers. Both can do their opponents to death not through the force of personality or games, but because they know the court and its parameters better. Federer, in Simon's case, and Roddick, in Murray's, were outfoxed and reduced to thrashing ineptitude. Both matches were wonders to behold. (...)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5126690.ece

Last edited by Truc : 11-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #157
country flag Truc

Georges Deniau grades his game in the last issue of Tennis Magazine (giving marks out of 10):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deniau.jpg (311.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #158
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Georges Deniau grades his game in the last issue of Tennis Magazine (giving marks out of 10):
I'm translating this. Coming right up.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #159

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Serve 7.5/10
A wonderful weapon, his first serve is quite unpredictible, and it can get even more powerful. His second serve could be gain speed and be riskier. The combination Serve and Volley isn't used enough

Return of serve 8.5/10
Excellent returner, Gilles can even change his position behing the baseline during a match, according to his opponent's serve. A good technique that can help him return the best serves, enabling him to change a match.

Forehand 8.5
A shot that reflects his hame : technically and tactically simple. He hits flat but with a slight top spin, creating damages when changing rhythms and length. Gilles takes often the upper hand with this aggressive shot.

Backhand 8.5/10
Hitting the ball with the middle of the racket's head, and flat, gives Gilles a good speed and a good length. He can vary directions as well, the opponent cannot predict the rhythm changes. Down the line or cross court, it's a beautiful and efficient shot

Volley 7/10
Hard to say if he's good at it as he doesn't come to the net so often. However when it happens, he knows how the finish the point with a neat technique. With his attacks and his vision of the game he rarely misses them, even if sometimes he makes the difficult choice instead of the easy one.

Footwork and physical strength 8.5/10
Overall excellent. Gilles is slim with no useless weight, he's fast on court. He could even be faster and more powerful. However, an excellent coordination of his movements could enable him to attack more.

Mental strength 9/10
His biggest asset. No feigning, no overacting, should it be for the crowd or his opponent. His determination, his energy and intelligence go alongside with very clear objectives. That's the most difficult thing. Congratulations.

Tactics 8.5/10
Overall very good. His patience, his rhythm and length changes makes it very hard for his opponent. He's very hard to get him far from the ball. It's a pity that he doesn't go even faster because he could finish the point more often.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #160
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Ted....one BIG bow for u
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #161

I wouldn't rate his forehand as good as his backhand. The Federer match was an exception but most of the time, his forehand isn't as damaging as his backhand.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #162
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really agree with the breakdown. I wouldn't rate his serve that high.

Also, though I agree he's well rounded, some of the other scores should be lower just because there are definitely aspects of his game that are far superior to other parts, even if the other parts are solid. IMO, his tactics and mental strength should be higher than the others by a bit.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #163
country flag Truc

A portrait of him in "Le Matin" (a Swiss newspaper). Nothing new, but I found it quite nice - sorry, no time for a translation right now:
Quote:
Gilles Simon, moineau rapace
Un mètre huitante, moins de 70 kilos, le Niçois n'a rien d'un épouvantail. Pourtant il fait trembler les meilleurs joueurs du monde.

Gilles Simon n'aime pas les costumes. Pas plus celui, pourtant sur mesure, que lui a confectionné le tailleur de l'hôtel Hilton de Shanghai que celui dans lequel la presse, y compris celle de l'Hexagone, l'avait enfermé au moment de son départ de Paris, direction le tournoi des Maîtres. Du premier, il dit qu'il n'a «pas l'habitude de porter ce genre de choses» et que «c'est bien pour faire comme les autres que je me suis ainsi déguisé en homme d'affaires».

Du second, il dénonce «une image de moi qui est fausse. Je ne suis pas un besogneux et, même invité de dernière minute, je ne suis pas venu là pour faire de la figuration, encore moins pour prendre des leçons!» Au moins le discours est-il clair. Et d'autant plus cohérent qu'à 24 ans pas même sonnés le jeune homme s'est déjà largement donné le temps d'apprendre. Né à Nice, mais grandi à Fontenay-sous-Bois, en région parisienne, il intègre l'Institut national du sport et de l'éducation physique (INSEP) à l'âge de 14 ans. Filiforme - ses copains de l'époque le surnommaient «Poussin» -, un brin effacé et «sans aucune confiance en soi (moi)», le gamin est un bûcheur. Il adore les maths, la géographie - «Elle me servira plus tard, quand je voyagerai» - et surtout... le piano. A ceux qui alors le moquent, il réplique que «cela vaut mieux que de passer quatre heures par jour à taper dans une balle».

Gilles Simon, pourtant, possède une qualité naturelle rare: il est endurant. «Je pouvais courir pendant des heures, je n'étais jamais essoufflé», se souvient-il. Et comme il ne joue «pas trop mal» au tennis...

«J'ai cru que Nadal se foutait de ma g...!»
A 18 ans, bac S avec mention en poche, et alors qu'il ne pèse toujours «pas plus lourd qu'une cacahuète», il décide de tenter sa chance chez les professionnels. Quelques résultats «passables sans plus» sur le front des juniors, l'amitié qui le lie à Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - même âge à quatre mois près, même parcours - l'ont persuadé qu'«il y avait peut-être quelque chose à faire»... Tournois futures, chambres doubles - «Le plus souvent avec Jo, on se marrait bien!» -, Gilles Simon apprend le métier. «Mais plus la musique, rigole-t-il aujourd'hui, un piano, ça ne tient pas dans les bagages.» Fin 2004, il est classé... 1331e joueur du monde. «Cela en faisait beaucoup devant moi, dit-il maintenant qu'il est... neuvième mondial. Mais, bon, j'ai croché. J'ai commencé à jouer avec mes qualités et mes défauts, en prenant exemple sur... Michael Chang. De lui j'avais la résistance, le sens du jeu, une patience à toute épreuve... et des épaules de moineau.»

Thierry Tulasne, qui lui sert de coach depuis deux ans, dit de lui qu'«il n'aime pas soulever de la fonte», mais qu'«il y passe s'il entend rivaliser à longueur d'année avec les gros bras du circuit». «Son truc à lui, poursuit Tulasne, c'est le jeu. Gilles est un compétiteur-né, il ne renonce jamais!»

La preuve: mi-octobre dernier, à Madrid, il sauve quatre balles de match face au Russe Igor Andreev, six contre l'Américain Robby Ginepri avant d'épingler Rafael Nadal en personne et au terme d'un combat long de trois heures et vingt-deux minutes. La presse espagnole le surnomme «el Superviviente» - le survivant - et Nadal lui-même le désigne comme «un costaud». Lui dit simplement que «quand Rafa a dit cela, j'ai cru qu'il se foutait de ma g...»!
http://www.lematin.ch/fr/sport/tenni...pace_12-309320
Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #164
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Marisa and Fran for the articles,Ted, the translation - awesome

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
Thanks Marisa and Fran for the articles,Ted, the translation - awesome
I translate like 1 time a month, even less, and people notice it Fran translates all the time, you should worship her not me