Ernests' news thread! - Page 65 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #961
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ernests' news thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truedaisy View Post
Ernie, how can you know or assume or predict that Almagro would have broken down mentally if you had won that tiebreak? Some players do (like someone I know ) and some regroup and even go on to win the match. That kind of thinking can cause you to play complacently in the next set thinking that the other guy is already "mentally beaten" but it ain't over till the last point is played.
True, I've been thinking about that too but I just didn't know how to explain. It's like saying "that is the way it should've gone, and there was no other way to win that match". If he thinks that during the match, he's lost everytime. But then again, you can never be sure if the words that were written down on esports.lv were really exactly his words.

Evita, I meant that the list went on in my mind and I know how long it is
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #962
country flag Alien

Alien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkikossar View Post
Yes, that was a part I, as well, completely missed... I meant to ask you or Elena what it means but my mind went brain farting, as Z would say
Well, the Russian idiom could be translated by this English one: "It is easy to be wise after the event" (though literal translation is very different). No use in talking why the match was lost and what could have been done now that it's over. I guess Ernie meant this, though I haven't read the article and I'm no expert in Latvian.

'Amar' es el empiece de la palabra 'amargura'...
Alien is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #963
country flag cath85

cath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Well, the Russian idiom could be translated by this English one: "It is easy to be wise after the event" (though literal translation is very different). No use in talking why the match was lost and what could have been done now that it's over. I guess Ernie meant this, though I haven't read the article and I'm no expert in Latvian.
makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation. and I agree with him
Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #964
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
...though literal translation is very different...
Can you post here the literal translation for my infinite curiosity, please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post
But then again, you can never be sure if the words that were written down on esports.lv were really exactly his words.
Because you think you can be sure the things he says are exactly his thoughts?..
ekkikossar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #965
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if he gave the PC in English or not if there were English-speaking journalists there, then he probably answered in English, then the Latvian journos translated his quotes into Latvian, and we translate them back into English... A lot of subtleties could be lost there

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #966
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

That's my point, yes. And Cami, I think he just wanted to swear but kept it clean He was too upset to act complicated
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #967
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post
That's my point, yes. And Cami, I think he just wanted to swear but kept it clean He was too upset to act complicated

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #968
country flag Alien

Alien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond reputeAlien has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can you post here the literal translation for my infinite curiosity, please?
Just for you. Literally it's "one should not wave the fists after the fight"

'Amar' es el empiece de la palabra 'amargura'...
Alien is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #969
country flag underyourbridge

underyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond reputeunderyourbridge has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible lack of information about Ernests does wonders with people's knowledge of Latvian language (and Russian swear words )
M Rīmenis in his blog (http://sports.delfi.lv/news/analysis...hp?id=24798609) mentions that Ernests had to write an explanation letter to ATP officials because of journalist's (Rolands Norietis) complaint about denied interview in Munich - no sanctions were imposed (there wasn't official press conference). And again rumors of revenge from Lemberg's controlled media
underyourbridge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #970
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by underyourbridge View Post
Horrible lack of information about Ernests does wonders with people's knowledge of Latvian language (and Russian swear words )

thanks for link Māra I especially liked the paragraph where Rīmenis compares the reaction of Latvian media and Russian after with Safin's loss to Ouanna
Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #971
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

pff, that's interesting..too bad im going out now! will read it all when i come back later tonight (lets hope i'll be sober enough to understand what i read, lol)
Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #972
country flag ellen_

So that was what the "business talk" Cath and I could witness was about Could know it had something to do with the press though.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #973
country flag cath85

cath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pff, that's interesting..too bad im going out now! will read it all when i come back later tonight (lets hope i'll be sober enough to understand what i read, lol)
that's a reason not to get drunk then cami

and yes I guess that's the conversation we overheard in munich. would make sense
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #974
country flag ekkikossar

probably that's no news to the most of you, yet I had never read it before so I dare to post it here even if it's a year old.
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/mehrspo...wimbledon.html
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #975
country flag cath85

Quote:
probably that's no news to the most of you, yet I had never read it before so I dare to post it here even if it's a year old.
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/mehrspo...wimbledon.html
I had never read it. thanks for finding but it totally confirms what I already thought