Ernests' news thread! - Page 62 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #916
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ernests' news thread!

The Latvian journalist who went to Munich and didn't get to talk with Ernie managed to have some words with Pilic The article is here. Ernests will spend the time between Madrid and RG training in Pilic's academy (possibly with Bachinger who lives nearby), he wants to get into really good form for RG, he knows he has lots of points to defend. I'll translate the article if I have time later.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #917
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Good to hear he really wants to get into good form
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #918
country flag cath85

cath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for posting!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #919
country flag Proxima2

Proxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Evita!
Proxima2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #920
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he knows he has lots of points to defend
We only missed that he didn't know that Protams he knows it!Our little Latvian hero
ekkikossar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #921
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here's the translation of the article. I tried to do it pretty accurate but it's not perfect.

By Rolands Norietis

Ernests Gulbis, who is still without a coach after splitting with Austrian Karl-Heinz Wetter, has decided to prepare for the French Open under the guidance of his former coach Niki Pilic.

"Ernests asked me if he can come and train for a week after Madrid in my academy, and I immediately agreed," the famous Croatian tennis guru said.

Gulbis is playing in Madrid next week, but he doesn't have any tournaments in the last week before the French Open (which begins on May 24th). It's important to have good practice before season's second Grand Slam, therefore Ernests has decided to ask for help his former coach who has an academy near Munich. "The next day after his loss to Kiefer, Ernests visited the academy and played some football. We agreed that he will come and practice here for a week after Madrid," Pilic confirmed. "It's very important for him to arrive in Paris in his best possible form. This tournament is especially important for Ernests because last year he reached the quarterfinals in Paris and he has to defend a lot of points."

In Munich Gulbis will be hitting with other academy students who already have some ATP points, or possibly with Matthias Bachinger who lives nearby and occupies the 245th place in the ATP ranking. Gulbis has had practices with Bachinger already before.

Pilic said that Ernests was not satisfied with his play after his loss in Munich's first round to German Nicolas Kiefer. "It's a pity he couldn't win, he was leading 6-2 and 3-1. He made too many unforced errors after that point. Ernests told me he lost the feel of the ball. He was a little unlucky in the third set when he had a break point to go 3-1 up. They had to replay the point which he had practically won. If he had managed to get to 3-1 perhaps he would have beaten Kiefer, but in any case Ernests was not satisfied with his performance."

When asked about reasons why his former pupil hasn't been getting past the second round of a tournament for a long time, the 69 year old coach was tolerant. He said that every tennis player experiences drop of form after great tournaments. He also described Gulbis's potential: "His potential is huge. Everyone says that but nobody knows it better than me because I was with him for 6 years. I remember very well how he beat Robredo two years ago (in the US Open), and I know Ernests can play on this level. But he has to work hard for this to happen. It all depends solely on him, on how much he wants to work for his improvement."

Pilic also has an opinion on why Gulbis is avoiding the press so much (we already wrote that he declined a post-match press conference in Munich): "Ernests is a nice guy but the fact is that he is from a small country which has never had a player in the top 50 before. Ernests is not the sort of person who likes to boast about his success, he's a little shy in this sense. I'm a bit different, I've always had a good relationship with the press. Also now the press is different from when I was playing. In those days we traveled together, ate at the same table, we were joking around and playing cards. If I played bad and a journalist wrote it, I wasn't angry about it. But now, during the last 10 years I've read at least 3-4 interviews I didn't give. The last one was published only two months ago."

In Pilic's opinion, Gulbis needs to find an experienced coach with whom he can find common ground and work well together. It's not easy to find one, as illustrated by Federer who has been coachless for several years already. Gulbis was Pilic's last student with whom he went to tournaments together, and after splitting with Ernests Pilic has decided not to coach anyone full time. "I've spent so many years traveling that I don't want it anymore. Even if Federer asked me to become his coach, I'd go with him to 8-10 tournaments in Europe, nothing more."

Still, it's noticeable that Pilic's relationship with Ernests is special and they have remained friends. Pilic was present at the Kiefer match and also the second round match in doubles. For now he's not thinking about coaching Ernests again but he says: "He was training for 6 years under my supervision, and it was a great time for both of us. We started at the bottom, and he got to the 46th place in the rankings." He also confirms that he'd go to Roland Garros with Ernests if Ernie expressed such a wish.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #922
country flag cath85

cath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond reputecath85 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks a lot for translating the whole thing!!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #923
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

Liels paldies, Evita! It's almost unbelievable to read something new (and reliable) about our little latvian hero Im happy about the things I read in that article. Happy Niki is such a big friend of Ernie & hope he can help him.
Niki was so sweet to say that thing about going to RG if Ernie asks him so.
Hvala Niki!
ekkikossar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #924
country flag Truedaisy

Truedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Niki Pilic, I have such a good feeling about you!

Thanks, Evita! You're so kind to translate it for us!
Truedaisy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #925
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Evita

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #926
country flag rafaelita

rafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond repute

Evita, thank you for translating the article.
It is so relieving to know the Ernie will work again with Pilic, even if it is for a short period of time (for now). I think he is the only one that can help him, that can get Ernie back on the right track at this moment, because of their past together. Hopefully Pilic will bring back a little discipline into Ernie's training routines; RG is too important to be taken lightly imho.

I'm happy for the good news

I am very happy to be alive. There is much fun to be had. Music, movies, books, paintings, drawings... I hope you have these things where you are. If you have them, what does the real world matter anyway? JF - Letter for Children Of The Future

Alive with music, haunting my soul Love you more.

we are the same ♥
rafaelita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #927
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Evita

So that's where he was the day after 1st round... I have a good feeling about this too. I was a little scared of Niki, to be honest He looked scary, but I think he can really help Ernie by even a simple talk and it seems that Ernie trusts him like no one else. It's like he says, it depends solely on him and what he's willing to sacrifice or how hard he wants to work. And I have the feeling that this point in his head is slowly coming , considering the last 2 or 3 matches (=weeks )

He'll get there...
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #928
country flag minhee

minhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond reputeminhee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for translating
So nice is Pilic
"...I know Ernests can play on this level. But he has to work hard for this to happen. It all depends solely on him, on how much he wants to work for his improvement." ←Totally agree.
Hope Ernie can do a good job in RG!!!
minhee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #929
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Encouraging news Good to know that Niki and Erno are still close,and able to work together for a while again

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #930
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I missed this before, thanks for the translation Evita.

Really hope that Pilic will be able to put the fire up Ernie, seems that he is someone he would really listen too- it would be nice.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote