Ernests' news thread! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ernests' news thread!

You forgot to create this one, Z!

I think we can let the old thread rest in peace. It's served its time.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ernests' news thread!

I don't want to hog all the v-cash

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

From the Houston Chronicle, by Dale Robertson

Quote:
Flags, anyone?
Overheard on the tournament walkie-talkie late Friday night: "Do we have a flag for Uruguay and Latvia?"

River Oaks likes to fly the flags of the players contending on the final weekend, but the two teams that reached the doubles final complicated things for the club. It pits Ernests Gulbis and Ranier Schuettler vs. Marcel Granollers-Pujol and Pablo Cuevas.

Gulbis is Latvian and Cuevas is from Uruguay, although he makes his home in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The German Schuettler and the Spaniard Granollers-Pujol presented far less of a problem.

Good news: The colors of Latvia and Uruguay will fly today.

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Yay The Latvian flag flying highThanks for posting the article Zara

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article It's good to know that they found a Latvian flag though I have some doubts whether the red color was accurate enough. I've seen 'Latvian' flags at various sports competitions that don't look Latvian at all.
-Evita- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
country flag jitterbug

Yeah, Austria's flag is almost identical with Latvia's except that it's red, not maroon, and has a wider band of white.

The company where I work has flags from each country hung around the ceiling, so during my break I'd try to figure out how many I could match to their countries. Thank you MTF

Quote:
Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
country flag jitterbug

From Bob Larson's Tennis News:

Quote:
DOUBLES REVIEW -- GULBIS-SCHUETTLER CAPTURE FIRST ATP TITLE TOGETHER
  • Ernests Gulbis of Latvia and Rainer Schuettler of Germany defeated No. 3 seeds Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay and Marcel Granollers-Pujol of Spain 7-5, 7-6(3) in Saturday's final between two first-time teams.
  • Gulbis captured his first career ATP title in his final debut and Schuettler his third in eight ATP finals. The German's last title came in Chennai three years ago.
  • Gulbis and Schuettler converted three of 11 break points while saving five of seven break points on their serve. They won 68% of second serve points compared to their opponents' 53%.
  • After the final, the champions dropped their bags in the locker room and went out the back door to take a celebratory swim in the club's pool, much to the surprise of the club members who were enjoying the evening poolside.
  • Cuevas and Granollers-Pujol entered their first ATP final without dropping a set during the week.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Ernests Gulbis:
"I'm happy because I wasn't satisfied at all with my singles performance. It was my first tournament on clay and it was tough for me to go from the hard court season to clay. But I'm happy I played better and better every match in doubles. So I hope I play better on clay now."

Rainer Schuettler:
"It was a great tournament and the first time we played together and from match-to-match we played better. At the beginning I wasn't so confident with my doubles performance but we won and I'm happy."

Quote:
Old 04-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
country flag jitterbug

From the Houston Chronicle, by Dale Robertson:
Quote:
Doubles champs make a splash
No matter how happy James Blake or Marcel Granollers-Pujol will be about winning the singles title today, they probably won't show it more flamboyantly than did the doubles champions Ernests Gulbis and Rainer Schuettler.

Gulbis and Schuettler repaired to the locker room after receiving the trophy, removed their shoes and walked out and jumped into the River Oaks pool. This was believed to be a first for the tournament, which has been around since 1931.

The Latvian Gulbis was especially ecstatic. It was his first title of any kind at the ATP level.
Something about the word 'flamboyant' always makes me associate it with someone gay Scott would be happy, at least - even if the fangirls aren't

Quote:
Old 04-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

I think its called gay abandon

Last edited by patchett : 04-20-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
country flag but-it's-ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
From the Houston Chronicle, by Dale Robertson:

Something about the word 'flamboyant' always makes me associate it with someone gay Scott would be happy, at least - even if the fangirls aren't
Thanks for the articles Zara

Last edited by patchett : 04-20-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats how I always associate it as well
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I'm very, very masculine.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
country flag jitterbug

I know who jinxed Ernie

From the Royal Gazette of Bermuda, by Josh Ball:
Quote:
Having demolished Alex Bogomolov in the first round, Ernests Gulbis had a tougher opponent in Nicolas Massu.

That he came through, was because unlike Massu, he adapted to the conditions of the court better

Gulbis eventually came through a first set tie-break, after Massu lost his composure and concentration, and the second set was a much more clean-cut affair.

The Latvian took the first five games without much difficulty, and although he had a slight blip afterwards, he eventually wrapped up a 7-6, 6-2 win.

Gulbis now faces Nishikori this evening, and along with Marcel Granollers, must be considered one of the favourites to win this year's tournament.
If you read the full article here, you'd see that the author really had some choice descriptions for the Nishikori-Sela match before that

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
country flag but-it's-ok

Quote:
I know who jinxed Ernie

From the Royal Gazette of Bermuda, by Josh Ball:

If you read the full article here, you'd see that the author really had some choice descriptions for the Nishikori-Sela match before that
Commentators curse Crackpot journalism not in keeping with the grandly titled Royal Gazette of Bermuda

Last edited by patchett : 04-28-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

There's an article here with lots of quotes from Ernests. I'll translate it within a few hours depending on how much free time I'll have at work.
-Evita- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote