News & articles - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #121
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & articles

Just a question, why doesn't Jo play Dubai?
Ad Wim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #122
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

I am really not sure, but I think it's a schedule thing : he wants to have a free time of work and rest just after a period of something like six-seven weeks of continuous play till the beginning of the season, and just before the american tourney and the davis cup.

He made the same thing last year. Plus he is not really the whore type who goes for the big endorsement if his health and carrer are in game.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #123
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

That is absolutely remarkable: a full page about Tsonga in Le Monde
http://www.lemonde.fr/cgi-bin/ACHATS...jet_id=1067384

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #124
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
That is absolutely remarkable: a full page about Tsonga in Le Monde
http://www.lemonde.fr/cgi-bin/ACHATS...jet_id=1067384
what does it write?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #125
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
I am really not sure, but I think it's a schedule thing : he wants to have a free time of work and rest just after a period of something like six-seven weeks of continuous play till the beginning of the season, and just before the american tourney and the davis cup.

He made the same thing last year. Plus he is not really the whore type who goes for the big endorsement if his health and carrer are in game.
Oke thanks. Good to take rest, but why not in a smaller tourney than in a 500?
And it's good that he is not in for the money, but why does he go to South-Africa then? That seems a money thing to me...
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #126
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

In a sense, it's always a money thing (they are professional players), but in that case, you just have to look for the number of top players in Dubai to see what I mean : 90% of the top 30 are in Dubai, they are two (with Ferrer) in SA. He said he wants to give a chance to an african tournament... I don't know what he makes in going to SA, but I am quite confident he could have made much much more in Dubai.

And from a recent interview, he said almost clearly that he doesn't give a damn about lesser size tournament (250 or 500). He's going to give his all for the slams, the masters and the davis cup.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #127
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise Jo was playing Rotterdam. I'm glad because it will be televised on Sky.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #128
country flag Ad Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
In a sense, it's always a money thing (they are professional players), but in that case, you just have to look for the number of top players in Dubai to see what I mean : 90% of the top 30 are in Dubai, they are two (with Ferrer) in SA. He said he wants to give a chance to an african tournament... I don't know what he makes in going to SA, but I am quite confident he could have made much much more in Dubai.

And from a recent interview, he said almost clearly that he doesn't give a damn about lesser size tournament (250 or 500). He's going to give his all for the slams, the masters and the davis cup.
Giving a chance to an African tournament is a noble thing. Looking at the entry list, he will win the tournament with his left hand, certainly since Monfils is out now.

But if he doesn't give a damn about the smaller tourneys (strange thing BTW), why does he play so manu smaller sized tournaments then (Sydney, Brisbane, Johannesburg)?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #129
country flag MacArthur

In a word : to find his rythm. Jo is a diesel, he needs to play a lot to find his form (despite the injuries).

But if his schedule is such a shame for you, you still can send him a word on jo-wilfried tsonga.com. He answers to it, some times...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #130
country flag bakeroo

bakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...2448302C731616
About him at the south africa open
bakeroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #131
country flag MacArthur

Thanks Bakeroo for the good article : always good to have this kind of memento
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #132
country flag bakeroo

bakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond reputebakeroo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Ten...fles_in_Soweto

there should be photos and a video hopefully around
bakeroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #133
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Since I couldn't open the link posted above, I'm posting here Le Monde's article about Jo. Nothing really new for who knows him, but it's well-written and interesting.

Quote:
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga est une bête de scène. Ce colosse (1,87 m, 90 kg), a priori, semble pourtant d'un naturel débonnaire. La paupière lourde, il commente ses matches en conférence de presse d'une voix douce, presque inaudible. Il nourrit une passion bucolique pour la pêche, qui lui permet de "faire la sieste au grand air". Mais, sur un terrain de tennis, il se métamorphose. Il irradie. Il hurle, il joue avec la foule, il danse.

Il y a tout juste un an, les spectateurs de l'Open d'Australie et les Français, à 17 000 km de Melbourne, ont découvert cette force de la nature. Durant ce tournoi, l'un des quatre plus importants du circuit du tennis, avec Roland-Garros, Wimbledon et l'US Open, une star est née. Depuis 1983, et la victoire de Yannick Noah à Roland-Garros, le tennis français n'avait connu pareil emballement.

Pourquoi ? Pour un match, d'abord. En demi-finale, à Melbourne, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga a réalisé l'impensable. Il a balayé Rafael Nadal, le meilleur joueur du monde, en le dominant sur son terrain, celui du punch. Son charisme a fait le reste : Jo-Wilfried Tsonga possède ce je-ne-sais-quoi qui fait les vedettes.

Cette année, aux antipodes, le Manceau compte refaire parler de lui. En dépit de douleurs au dos, il a passé le premier tour facilement, mardi 20 janvier. Sa finale de 2008, où il avait été battu par le Serbe Novak Djokovic, lui a laissé un goût d'inachevé. "La place de numéro un mondial ? Pourquoi pas...", ose-t-il.

Cette assurance tranquille, "Jo" la puise dans sa saison 2008. Il a gagné le tournoi de Bercy, devant son public. Et, 38e joueur au classement mondial au début de la saison, il a fini l'année à la 6e place. Une progression remarquable, qui ne dit pas tout. Car le joueur a manqué près de la moitié de la saison, blessé. La course au classement étant affaire d'endurance - il faut accumuler les performances tout au long de l'année pour grimper dans la hiérarchie arrêtée en décembre -, nul ne sait jusqu'où il serait allé s'il avait pu jouer davantage.

Sa confiance semble aussi tenir de l'inné. "Je ne me fixe pas de barrières. Je suis en accord avec moi-même, j'accepte que les autres me voient comme je suis", explique-t-il. Sa mère, Evelyne, l'a toujours connu ainsi : "Tout petit, il a sauté du haut du toboggan, parce qu'il était sûr qu'il pouvait voler !"

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga est né en 1985, au Mans, de parents enseignants. Son père, Didier, est professeur de physique-chimie. Sa mère, ancienne institutrice, s'occupe maintenant d'élèves plus âgés dans des sections destinées aux adolescents en grande difficulté scolaire.

Jo-Wilfried, malgré cela, n'a pas eu un parcours scolaire brillant. Bon élève à l'école primaire et au collège, il est ensuite rentré dans le rang, tennis oblige. "Ça a été la grosse blessure pour nous et je crois que c'est un petit regret pour lui. Il a été jusqu'au bac sans redoubler, mais ne l'a jamais passé", raconte sa mère.

Le sport et les études : voilà deux fondements de la famille Tsonga. Didier, né au Gabon de parents congolais, a débarqué en France en 1976, auréolé du titre de meilleur joueur de handball d'Afrique centrale. Le grand-père de Jo-Wilfried, Alphonse, est à l'origine de cet exil. Ce gendarme français au temps des colonies avait jugé que le sport n'était pas une vie, et que son fils devait réussir à l'université, en métropole. Didier y a rencontré Evelyne, la fille d'un couple de petits commerçants sarthois.

Chassez le sport par une fenêtre et il reviendra par la grande porte... Les Tsonga ont ça dans le sang. Un frère de Didier, Richard, est l'inventeur du service smashé, en volley. Le petit frère de Jo-Wilfried, Enzo, est stagiaire-pro dans l'équipe de basket-ball du Mans, 4e du championnat de France. Gamin, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga a goûté à bon nombre de sports avant de se fixer. Il a très vite montré un physique hors normes, gagnant de nombreux cross. En plus d'être costaud, il est endurant.

Ses qualités l'ont conduit en section sport-études tennis, puis à l'Institut national des sports et de l'éducation physique (Insep), la pépinière à champions française, située dans le bois de Vincennes, à Paris. A 18 ans, en conséquence d'un parcours sans faute, il est devenu vice-champion du monde junior.

En 2004, il est entré dans le grand bain professionnel, avec un nouvel entraîneur, Eric Winogradsky, qui est encore à ses côtés. Les choses ont bien commencé, mais l'année 2005 a viré au cauchemar. Victime d'une hernie discale, le jeune homme doit s'arrêter de jouer. Sans savoir si sa carrière est déjà finie, avant d'avoir vraiment commencé. Pour sa mère, "ces blessures ne sont pas arrivées par hasard. On lui a fait faire trop de musculation, trop jeune. A un moment, ça craque". Il avait pourtant prévenu. "Il disait "ça suffit", mais on continuait à lui en demander plus, poursuit sa mère. Nous, ses parents, nous nous sommes sentis indignes de ne pas l'avoir écouté, de ne pas avoir insisté auprès de ses entraîneurs. On a compris à ce moment-là qu'on est les seuls à n'être intéressés que par son bien-être. Pour les autres, il est un capital."

L'année 2008 aura donc, enfin, été celle de l'éclosion. Son corps est encore souvent récalcitrant, mais il balaie les interrogations de ceux qui craignent que sa carrière ne puisse s'écrire autrement qu'en pointillés. "La blessure fait partie du sport de haut niveau", veut-il croire.

L'année 2008 aura aussi été celle d'une révélation. Pour la première fois, il est allé à la rencontre de son grand-père, à Pointe-Noire, en République du Congo. "La guerre n'a pas permis de faire le voyage plus tôt", dit Evelyne. "Lorsque tu es 200e mondial, tu ne prends jamais le temps, complète son fils. Tu as toujours l'impression que le prochain tournoi est celui qui va te lancer. Après l'Open d'Australie, je me suis dit : "C'est maintenant"." Il explique, avec le même ton détaché qu'à l'accoutumée : "Là-bas, j'ai compris beaucoup de choses. Pourquoi, parfois, je suis comme ça sur le terrain, un peu euphorique, excentrique. Pourquoi je danse lorsque j'écoute de la musique..."

Qui est finalement le vrai Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ? L'extraverti des courts, qui vient de s'acheter un coupé de luxe, ou l'introverti qui roulait avant cela dans la toute petite voiture de sa soeur ? " Cette ambivalence, c'est Jo. Il a toujours été un garçon très réservé, observateur. Le sport a été son moyen de s'extérioriser", raconte sa mère. Pour elle, le secret de son charisme tient en un mot, l'empathie : "Il est attentif aux autres, même s'il est dans sa bulle. Nous sommes une famille qui a foi en l'homme. Sur les courts, il sent l'effet qu'il fait au public et il aime ça." A l'attaque de la saison 2009, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga affiche un sourire gourmand.

What shocked me most is what his mother said :
Things went smoothly at first but 2005 turned to a nightmare. Because of a slipped disk (hernie discale en anglais, quelqu'un ?), the young man has to stop playing, without knowing if his career was already over before it even started. For his mother, "those injuries didn't happen by chance. People made him go through endless bodybuilding hours, when he was too young. At some point, the body breaks. He told them "I can't take it anymore", but they kept asking more and more. We, his parents, felt guilty to have not listened to him, to have not insisted much towards his coaches. We understood then that we are the only ones to care about his well-being and his happiness. For the others, he's a capital."

Scary.

And I always love when he's speaking about Africa and what it means to him. Because of the war, he wasn't able to go to Congo sooner, and then he was 200th in the world and there always was another tournament to play, and maybe that tournament would be "the" tournament where he becomes something big... After the AO, he told himself "it's now." "When I was there, I understood a lot of things. Why I am the way I am on the court, why I sometimes am a bit euphoric, eccentric. Why I dance while listening to some kind of music..."

I myself love Africa and always felt there was something special there that you can't find in any other place. It must be a great feeling to feel like you belong to such a beautiful country.

Completely unrelated, but I love the fact that a half-White, half-Black player (can we say "metis" in English ?) is the one who won the tournament of South Africa, which was for so long torn apart by the apartheid Jo, once more

edit : forgot the link : http://www.lemonde.fr/archives/artic...1144692_0.html
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #134
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

an interview of jo on l'Equipe.fr

Quote:
"Ready to be among the great"

In fifteen days, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has boosted its record of two new titles with Marseille and Johannesburg. This victory at the Open 13 for Manceau represents a new stage, where he shows consistency in performance and demonstrates its ability to transcend the difficulty. Faced with an excellent and Michaël Llodra after personal concerns, he won the fourth title of his career and himself as the boss of the French team.

"Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, what will you remember this tournament of Marseille?
Much joy, laughter, a great victory and a job well done. I keep also in mind when there was a very hot crowd against Novak (Djokovic in the semi-finals). Since the beginning of my early career, I noticed that there were still milestones for juniors in the Futures and Challengers. Tennis, it works a little step by step and makes the experience very much. It should unlock some things and learn. Sometimes we miss a few steps, but I learn every time in moments a little difficult.

What have you learned in Marseille?
I learned that I was able to win tournaments like this regularly, I was able to beat one of the best players in the world and I was ready to be part of the great.

In this final, how do you explain the very tight first set?
I explain it by the super level of play of my opponent. It surprised me a lot in the first set. Beyond serving and Volleyball, I knew he could do, he played very well from the back of the court.

"I play a lot, I work much less and I feel that I preserve myself"

in what Michaël Llodra is a difficult player to handle?

I do not know many players who play very well against Mika, he dictates the game Still, I made a very good match. Against Mika, you can not necessarily be let go, there are not many exchanges, the game is always a little chopped, one must be very concentrated and it is played often on a strike ball. I still played very well, I returned very well, I've put a lot pressure. Despite his services, I have always returned, he always had to play volleys and half-stolen even though it was very good, and in the end, I won in two sets. I think I made a very good game despite the level of play from Mika and conditions.

You have played a lot since the beginning of the season. How do you manage to avoid physical injuries?

I work a little less. Since I play a lot, I work much less and I feel that I preserve myself. I do really basic things. I was injured regularly, so I want to find solutions, I try everything that is possible.

You often come to you transcend the difficulty. How do you explain that?
I love my sport. Whenever I play, I forget everything that is outside and I concentrate on the fact of giving the maximum of myself. When I have problems, it gives me even greater motivation. It's a little loophole to play my tennis and to forget what happens next. "

Interview by Sophie Dorgan, Marseille

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #135
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Amira xx
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote