News & articles - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #406
country flag julia_gu

julia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the graduate View Post
does anyone know where Didier Tsonga is havent seen him in a long time.is he still married to Tsonga s mom...divorced ha
His father went to see the match against Federer

Last edited by julia_gu : 11-21-2011 at 02:25 AM.
julia_gu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #407
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

L'equipe sport and style

soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #408
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

long and interesting interview in l'equipe magazine today.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #409
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga: Frenchmen should emulate Spanish camaraderie

Quote:
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga says that France players should emulate the camaraderie and competitive spirit Spanish men exhibit.

ďWe do everything to change this statistic that we didn't win a lot of Davis Cup and we don't have players in the top five,Ē Tsonga told reporters. ďMaybe we still need time and is gonna happen. But for the moment, we have to work and we have to be all together. We have to push each other towards the top or motivate each other towards the top. We have to work together like the Spanish guys did. They always have dinner together. They always spend time together. They discuss a lot. I think it make Spain have a really good spirit. We are close, but we have to be more close.Ē

Both nations have seven men ranked in the top 50, but Spain has two Top 5 players in Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, while France does not have a Top 5-ranked man. Tsonga, the 2008 Australian Open runner-up, is the only member of his generation of Frenchmen to have reached a Grand Slam singles final. Tsonga said he believes a Frenchman can break through and win a major.

ďI think we have the potential to [have a Grand Slam champion],Ē Tsonga said. ďBut the potential is not enough; we have to do it. We have some players who play semis sometimes. I think we're already able to do a little bit more.Ē

J. Isner | J. Sock | D.Y. | R. Harrison | C. Harrison | D. Kudla | S. Querrey | S. Johnson | R. Williams

J. Donaldson | N. Rubin | S. Kozlov | B. Kozlov | F. Tiafoe | M. Mmoh | T. Harry Fritz | A. Fenty
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #410
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Quote:
SHANGHAI, CHINA

J. TSONGA/F. Mayer
6‑2, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you talk about your knee injury, how difficult it was during that time.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It was not that hard at the beginning because I was in holidays. But, of course, after few days, few weeks, the game miss me. I missed the game, sorry.

Q. The game missed you, too.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I missed the game and it was tough to see my friends play. I was home watching on TV.
But anyway, you know, sometime it's good because it make your mind clear, so after that you come back sometimes stronger. That's what I will try to do.

Q. Are you 100% now?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I'm feeling good. I still have some problem with my knee. But the pain is not enough strong, you know, to leave me out of the court.
But I still have a tough match like I played yesterday. After that sometimes, you know, I have a little feeling on my knee. So I have to take care of it, be careful.
I'm not at 100% anyway because I didn't play for two months. So to find back the good shape, it takes time. But I try to play 100% of what I can do.

Q. Could you talk about your recent play against Novak, what you need to do against him differently. You used to have a pretty good record against him, but you lost the last eight times.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I lost against him few matches. Some I was really close; some others I was really far. But the only thing I know, I'm sure I can play a better tennis than what I played the other match.
So, you know, I'm looking for this tennis, and that's it. I hope it will come soon if I have to play against him tomorrow.
But of course, you know, he was the No.1 for many, many weeks, and he was playing well, he was confident. I think he lost more matches this year than the other years, so maybe it's an opportunity for me to do my first win if I have to play against him.

Q. Can you talk about today's match.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Today I played well. What can I say? Yeah, I played well. That's it. I had some trouble to finish the match. But, yeah, in general I played good tennis.

Q. Both Spain and France have the same amount of players in the top 50. I think it's seven. We tend to think of Spain as the more dominant nation at the top of the game. Why do you think France doesn't get similar recognition?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: That's a good question (smiling).

Q. Thank you.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Of course, I don't have solution. But we do everything to change this statistic that we didn't win a lot of Davis Cup and we don't have players in the top five. Maybe we still need time and is gonna happen.
But for the moment, we have to work and we have to be all together. We have to push each other towards the top or motivate each other towards the top.
We have to work together like the Spanish guys did. They always have dinner together. They always spend time together. They discuss a lot. I think it make Spain, you know, have a really good spirit. Yeah, that's it.

Q. So are you saying you guys are not quite that close; you're more independent of each other?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: We are close, but we have to be more close (smiling).

Q. Do you think there's a Grand Slam champion amongst you?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I think we have the potential to do that. But the potential is not enough; we have to do it. We have some players who play semis sometimes. I think we're already able to do a little bit more.

Q. Can you talk about your decision to split with Roger Rasheed? Do you plan on hiring a new coach or going by yourself?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I don't want to explain myself about it because we have our own reason, and we will keep it for us.
But, anyway, for me it was a good experience to work with him. I learned a lot. He make me to be a better player anyway, and that's it. And now I'm looking for a new structure around me, and I will tell you when it's going to be fixed.

Q. Do you plan on addressing it while the season is still going or after the season?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I mean, this is the end of the season anyway, so I will tell you soon.

J. Isner | J. Sock | D.Y. | R. Harrison | C. Harrison | D. Kudla | S. Querrey | S. Johnson | R. Williams

J. Donaldson | N. Rubin | S. Kozlov | B. Kozlov | F. Tiafoe | M. Mmoh | T. Harry Fritz | A. Fenty
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #411
country flag Ace20

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Quote:
SHANGHAI, CHINA

N. DJOKOVIC/J. Tsonga
6‑2, 7‑5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You started off slowly in the first set, but came back strongly in the second. Talk about the game.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, it was a great set at the beginning. I didn't serve enough good in the first set to cause him some trouble, but after that I played better and better. I served better. I was more into it. So for him it was a bit more trouble, but it's still 7‑5.
That's it. What can I say? Nothing special.

Q. Physically how are you feeling? Do you plan on playing Vienna next week?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I feel okay. I will see in a few hours how is my knee, how I'm feeling. But for the moment I'm going to Vienna.

Q. With the World Tour Finals pretty near and Andy Murray not going, there's still a few places to grab. Is this on your mind? Are you planning to try your best to get there or you're just trying to get your level back?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I mean, anyway, I have to play if I want to go. I will play, and that's it. I cannot do something special to go there. I just have to play and try to win as much as possible. That's it.

Q. It's your first semifinals since Queen's. Is it a matter of getting fully fit now for next season?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I'm going better and better. Today I played well in the second set. I know I can play a lot better. So I will continue to work. Yeah, I will continue on my way. I think I'm on a good way. That's it.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #412
country flag Ace20

Tsonga close to naming coach

Quote:
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga says he is nearing a decision on a new coach but won't make any announcement until a deal is done.

The Frenchman fighting for a place in the eight-man season finals in London next month is top seed at the Austrian Open and begins in the second round after a bye when he faces German Daniel Brands.

Tsonga, who missed nearly three months of play over the summer with a knee injury, said he will soon have a new mentor after splitting in September from Australian Roger Rasheed, who also formerly coached Gael Monfils.

"I'm looking for a coach and I'm getting close to one," Tsonga said in his only words on the subject.

The former Australian Open finalist has gone it alone in the past, playing without a coach in 2011 before picking up Rasheed after the Australian ended with Monfils.

World number eight Tsonga is coming off a Shanghai semi-final last week, losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

Tsonga stands provisional ninth in the field for the World Tour Finals from November 4, but needs to keep earning ranking points if he is to be assured of making the trip.

He is trying to stay ahead of a pursing pack led by compatriot Richard Gasquet and Canadian Milos Raonic.

The Frenchman said he is still playing at less than 100 per cent on his knee, but has been cleared by doctors to compete.

Tsonga won the Vienna title in 2011, his only previous appearance, and in his eyes he is defending that crown after not playing here in 2012.

"I'm feeling good and I'm fresh in my head," said the player starting his fourth event in the last five weeks since making his return.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #413
country flag DBR

DBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond repute

From Paris-Bercy tournament twitter ...

BNP PARIBAS MASTERS @ bnppmasters 6m
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga announced that he will train with the duo Nicolas Escudť - Thierry Ascione, coaches he will share with Nicolas Mahut.

BNP PARIBAS MASTERS ‏@bnppmasters 6m
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga annonce qu'il va s'entraÓner avec le duo Nicolas Escudť - Thierry Ascione, coaches qu'il va partager avec Nicolas Mahut.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
DBR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #414
country flag Ace20

Tsonga takes Escude and Ascione as coaches

Quote:
AFP - French number one Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has chosen compatriots Nicolas Escude and Thierry Ascione as his new joint coaches, replacing Roger Rasheed.

"The fact that they are two is an advantage as it means I can get different perspectives on my game," said Tsonga ahead of the Paris Masters tournament, which started on Monday.

"They have already proven themselves as far as I am concerned. Thierry has worked very well with all the players he has had in the last few years and helped them progress. I am thinking of Nicolas Mahut and Kristina Mladenovic.

"Nicolas has less experience as a coach but he was Fed Cup captain and that is a big plus. In any case it is not so much what he has done as a coach that matters - more what he achieved as a player."

Escude was France's Fed Cup captain from 2008 to 2022 and as a player he won the Davis Cup with France in 2001, defeating Australia in the final in Melbourne.

Currently ranked ninth in the world, Tsonga parted company with Rasheed in August, having been with Lleyton Hewitt's former coach since October 2012.

Prior to that his long-time coach had been Frenchman Eric Winogradsky from 2004 to 2011.

Tsonga has been in the world top 10 for several years but has yet to win one of the four Grand Slam titles.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #415
country flag Ace20

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

PARIS, FRANCE

Quote:
K. NISHIKORI/J. Tsonga
1‑6, 7‑6, 7‑6

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. Your knee was hurting? You had cramps?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It was more cramps than the pain in my knee. It's a bit complicated, because I'm not fit enough. It was difficult for me to practice lately. I was perspiring a lot, and there was the tension because of the match.
From the start today I put into that match a lot of intensity. I really wanted to do my best. I didn't want to think about my knee. I wanted to give it all, and my knee reminded me it was there.

Q. Yeah, for you, Bercy is very special and you wanted to be here, but at the same time you can't because your knee is not totally ready and you're not fit; so you were sort of caught in between the two?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, that's right, but I chose to play. I could have beaten many players today, and I believe he played a very solid match. I believe he managed well, because I could have won that match. He was very solid, especially during the important moments of the match.
I have seen myself be in better shape, but a few weeks ago. That's what my physio was saying just now that normally I shouldn't even be here. We even wondered if we would totally stop or if we would continue the season, and I decided to continue this season.
I thought it was better, and I think I'm happy because now I won some points, I'm not in the Masters, so we decided to go to the end.
So I must say that in the match today it's not only the pain in the knee that prevented me from winning. I think it was mainly the cramps.
I went to the end of what I could do, and now I have time to prepare for the next season.

Q. Both of you had cramps in the third set. I think he had a massage on his left leg. But in the tiebreaker, at the end he made aces; you made double faults. Was the difference a mental difference?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know. I played him two weeks ago and he totally collapsed physically at the end. I don't know if it's a mental thing, because I was very pumped up today. I was very solid in my mind and I was happy with what I was doing.
I don't know. What is your definition of mental ability? If he we don't have the same definition, the question is biased.

Q. During the first set and a bit more even, was that the only moment since Metz where you were really able to lean on your leg and move right?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, yes. I can see something positive there because it's the only match where I could play as I play usually. I haven't played like that for a long time.
I played the kind of tennis I have to play all the time, and that's why I'm not totally down. I believe there is something I can do for the future.
Of course, I really have to improve my physical condition. I have to work a lot and very hard during the break. But if I'm able to play very solid matches like I played for the first set, it's going to be good.

Q. So that means you're not going to stop? Are you going to rest?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, yeah, I'm going to rest and I'll start again. I think I'll have a break, two‑week break.

Q. And if you're a substitute for the Masters, are you going to go?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know.

Q. You said you wanted to give it all. Do you believe your two coaches supported you in this? Did they say, Go ahead, go ahead, or did they say something else?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, no, they supported me. If I decide to go on the court, it means that I will give it all. That's for sure. That was the first tournament we were doing together. But I hope there will be many others after that.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #416
country flag sirbenson

sirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond reputesirbenson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I am a Tsonga fan and a new member, just saying hello
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #417
country flag Ace20

Tsonga talks Slams, subdued reception in Roland Garros semi

Quote:
Franceís Jo-Wilfried Tsonga discusses the subdued reception he received from the Parisian crowd during his loss to David Ferrer in the 2013 Roland Garros semifinals.

ďIt affected me because I saw that the people werenít supporting me a lot because when I came on the court the stadium was half empty,Ē Tsonga told Sport360. ďBecause there was a long match before me [Rafael Nadalís five-set win over Novak Djokovic] and they all went out to do other things. It was half empty in my own country. But I didnít lose because of this. I lost that match because I think David played well.Ē

The 28-year-old Frenchman still believes he can win a major. The world No. 10 has only reached one Grand Slam finalóat the 2008 Australian Open, where he fell to Novak Djokovicóand has only won a single Masters tournament, the 2008 Paris Indoors.

ďIf I think Iím not able to achieve it I will stop,Ē he said. ďIím not that kind of guy who will play just for playing and be on the tour. I donít care. I have family, I make a lot of sacrifices to play tennis, even if itís my passion, so Iím doing it just because I really believe that I can do something great.

ďIím not doing it for recognition from people. Iím doing it for me. Because when I was young I had a dream to win a Grand Slam and whatever people think, I just try to do everything in a good way and I hope it will happen.Ē

Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #418
country flag Ace20

Interview: Mature Tsonga motivated for Major 2014

New start: Tsonga kicked off the new season in impressive fashion in Abu Dhabi

Quote:
Tennis players do not get more charismatic nor entertaining than Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The 28-year-oldís run to the Australian Open final in 2008 remains one of the most impressive surprises at a major in recent years and as he enters the season with a new team, comprising joint coaches Thierry Ascione and Nicolas Escude, Tsonga seems fresh and ready for 2014.

He kicked off his season in Abu Dhabi where he played Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal on consecutive days and if his form in those matches is anything to go by, we can expect good things from the ever- smiling Frenchman.

Sport360įís Reem Abulleil caught up with Tsonga in the UAE capital...

This year will be your 11th on tour, how do you compare your mentality now as a player to when you were starting out and how do you make sure youíre still motivated?

It works in periods. Today I have a lot of motivation. Iím ready to make all the sacrifices to be at the top, thatís what I want the most. So today Iím fresh. I have a different personality because Iíve grown up and Iím more mature and I know exactly what I want. Before it was a bit different.

Do you think itís easier sometimes in tennis if youíre young and reckless and not really aware of the magnitude of things to achieve big feats or is tennis today more about being mature?

Itís better when youíre young and youíre physically fresh and you can run everywhere without problems and when you get older you have to deal with some physical problems and stuff and thatís what makes it a bit more difficult. But then you have the experience which is important too. Both ways, you can play when you are young and a little bit less younger.

Quote:
You had your best Roland Garros, your home slam, in 2013, making it to the semis for the first time. Was there too much pressure on you?

I was in my tournament, I didnít feel anything. I didnít watch TV and I didnít read any papers. I was just trying to do what Iím doing the best and thatís it. But when people support me itís always positive pressure anyway. Itís good to know that people are behind you and want you to win.

Did the defeat to David Ferrer in the semi-finals affect you for a long time?

It affected me because I saw that the people werenít supporting me a lot because when I came on the court the stadium was half empty. Because there was a long match before me ( between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic) and they all went out to do other things.

It was half empty in my own country. But I didnít lose because of this. I lost that match because I think David played well.

He didnít give me too many opportunities to develop my game and then I missed two shots that put me in trouble and thatís it. But sometimes in tennis itís going quick, there are a few important points and if you donít deal with them well you just lose.

The game right now is dominated by baseline players, do you think you need to add some elements to your game to be able to keep up with them, especially that you have a more aggressive style?

For the moment Iím not a serve and volley player. Iím a little bit in the middle, because I play good tennis from the baseline and I also go to the net.

So I think I still have to find the right balance between both of them and like that maybe Iíll be a better player. Thatís what Iím looking for and thatís what Iím practicing for.

Quote:
You spent a couple of years without a coach and had great results, but now you have two, Nicolas Escude and Thierry Ascione. Was it difficult adapting to life with coaches again?

I had coaches since I was eight years old. So I didnít have a coach for maybe two years and for me it was just the possibility to escape because during that time I was a bit tired of it. tired of everything around it.

So I said ĎI need some time and rebuild myselfí. And now I have those two coaches who are good and Iím doing a good job with them since we started and I hope it will continue.

Whatís the advantage of working with Thierry and Nicolas?

They played a good level of tennis so they know what theyíre talking about it. Theyíre young, so they give me a lot of positive attitude... this freshness, which is nice.

We are from the same generation so they can understand me and I think that we can do some good work together. The challenge to many players now is to be able to beat Nadal, Djokovic back-to- back over best-of-five matches in majors.

Do you think you will be up to that task this year?

If I think Iím not able to achieve it I will stop. Iím not that kind of guy who will play just for playing and be on the tour, I donít care. I have family, I make a lot of sacrifices to play tennis, even if itís my passion, so Iím doing it just because I really believe that I can do something great.

Iím not doing it for recognition from people. Iím doing it for me. Because when I was young I had a dream to win a Grand Slam and whatever people think, I just try to do everything in a good way and I hope it will happen.

Youíve been coming to the Abu Dhabi event for quite some time, do you feel thereís a big difference in the level of interest here year after year?

These kind of events, itís already big. Theyíve got six of the top-10 players in the world, five of the six best players in the world. You can do a lot of things but for that you need a big organisation and maybe a really big tournament to do a bit more.

I think they know what they have to do. If you see how it goes in other countries like England, France, Australia, they have majors and when you have a major you are able to do many things because itís huge in the country.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #419
country flag Ace20

Tsonga Coach

Quote:
Nicolas Escudť, Tsonga's coach, in l'Equipe: This win was a bit of a miracle. I'm pleased with it, but you won't get me to say it was a turning point. It was painful right to the end. but Jo went and got the win... It's his first big fight of the season.

(Returning) It's a focus of our work. It's never been his strong point. It needs to become automatic. And he has to do what we talked about from the beginning of the match. To know to cut off the trajectory of the shot instead of waiting on his heels for it.

When we see the doubt Djokovic had at a certain point, you see that even the best can be caught in a spiral. Don't forget that Jo did nothing for the last three months of the season. And when he started up again, he was on one leg. To get the mechanics in place, you can't hold back.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #420
country flag Ace20

Tsonga's angry remarks to journos yesterday

Quote:
Tsonga's angry remarks to journos yesterday as reported in l'Equipe: You didn't think I was dynamic, is that it? What do you really know, basically? To you take the spin of the ball into account or the weight of shot? Doesn't my opponent have the right to be good? Saying I played badly is almost insulting to him. I come back from the locker room where there's almost a kind of euphoria and I hear that ...It's starting to piss me off. My game is on track, it just doesn't disappear like that. I thought it was a good match. I had a good attitude, I was firm in key moments, I served nothing but bullets.