News & articles - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #151
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & articles

Part II

THE PLAYER

The panther and the boxer

Some technical views:

Patrice Beust: He had just been reviewing the final of 1983 Roland Garros Noah- Wilander for a coaching seminar. He said that Yannick’s forehand was not very aggressive and he had a “chipped” backhand. He thinks that Jo has a more solid all-round game on all surfaces.

Henri Leconte: Although Yannick had limited technique, what he achieved was exceptional. His strengths were his serve, his physique, his mental state, his backhand slice and…. he’s a panther at the net. Jo is nothing like him.

Patrice Hagelauer (expert of experts of Noah’s game): Noah was very attack-oriented at the net. Jo can go to the net, but he attacks better from the baseline. Both possess a huge serve, with power and variation. Jo has a huge forehand, which Yannick did not possess. Jo has a two-handed backhand; Yannick used his sliced backhand to allow him to approach the net. Finally, Yannick was a great volleyer, almost impassable, and lured the ball to him. Jo makes volley approaches to finish the points. Jo is however a better returner than Noah, especially on the backhand side.

Hagelauer: They’re both strong defensively, with a very good vision of the game, great mobility. Physically, they have speed in common. The way Jo moves on the court, his drop shots, reminds me of Yannick. Yann expended a lot of physical energy, no ball was impossible to reach. Jo is similar in that regard. So much physical effort cost Yannick dearly in terms of injuries, and like Jo, often played only 6 months in a year. I hope that I don’t bring Jo bad luck by saying that.

Not just the physical qualities, but the way they exploit them:

Thierry Tulasne: Both have this ability to generate confidence in their work. Yannick built up his confidence in pain and effort, by preparing himself better than the others. Jo is also like that. Perhaps that’s what has cost him: he sometimes over-stresses the engine.

Attitude wise:

Cédric Pioline: They are players who communicate a lot with the public. They have the presence, and solicit so much energy from the crowd. All this has an undeniable effect on the opponent. When Jo plays well, when he has the mind of a boxer, he has the ability to impose his will on the opponent, just like Yannick did.

THE MAN

Guy Forget: The main similarity lies in their mix of gentleness and force of character. What’s most striking is the softness and calmness of tone of voice, at odds with their extrovert qualities on the court.

Off the court, Jo is much calmer. Noah always wanted to party, surrounded by his group of people. Jo wants a quieter life, Yannick was much more extravagant.

Is the different era to blame?

Henri Leconte: It’s hard to compare, for what we saw of Yannick was when he was already at the top. Jo, he’s just starting. Yannick, he was the first mixed-race French sportsman to be so much in the media spotlight. He was the first to go out with top models. To drive a Ferrari. To appear on a variety of shows. The first time that he appeared on TV, that he sang, he wore dreadlocks; that was unheard of at that time! The external pressures spoilt his life. Because at that time, tennis had more prominence. He was a star. I have the impression that Jo is going through emotional experiences of lesser impact. Yannick had more excesses in the way he trained, in his personal life. But he opened many doors.

Does Tsonga, methodical and wise, resemble Llendl more than Noah deep within?

Winogradsky: He’s somewhere in the middle. But he also has his rebellious side, for he doesn’t want to do like the others. Even if he doesn’t go on wild sprees, a big party from time to time does him a lot of good. But he knows his limits.

Hagelauer: Although they have an aggressive nature, they have this real joy of sharing, of sincerity. Also, they have this way of communicating with a smile. Yannick always told me: “Victory is important, but the most important, it’s what we do with it.” The joy of sharing with others, with family, coach, team, that was more important than the victory and especially the cheque. What I like about Jo is that he also shares.

Winogradsky: It’s Jo’s desire to be of use to his father’s country or elsewhere through charitable acts, similar to what Noah has done (Noah create “Les Enfants de la Terre” and “Fête de Mur”). Jo still has years ahead of him to achieve that.

Another difference:
When Noah emigrated, he went to United States.
Jos needs tranquillity, says Winogradsky. He needs calm, he needs to be surrounded by green scenery. His appartment is in Switzerland, it faces a field of cows, and that’s not by accident.

Last edited by Turquoise : 03-05-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Turquoise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #152
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Part III

THE LEADER

Cédric Pioline (twice grand slam finalist, 1996 Davis Cup champion): They are both leaders. Yannick, we know him already. Jo, we see that in his attitude, in his statements, that he’s a leader. He does it in a good way. A leader is a driving force and promotes belief in others.

Tulasne: They both have natural charisma. But it helps that they feel strong physically. They have no sense of timidity.

Hagelauer: Mentally, they transcend pressure. Jo loves the challenge. In such moments, he has no fear of anyone. Yannick is also like that. He said: “I only play to play in the finals.”

Winogradsky echoes that sentiment in Jo: Most of the time, when Jo does not make the final, he says: “I have not come here to make the initial rounds, or even the semi-finals.”

The most marked difference between them lies in their ambition:

Patrice Beust: Jo gives the impression of having a constant ambition: of being number one. Yannick’s ambition was limited to specific goals, like winning Roland Garros. When he applied himself, he delved deep.

Patrice Hagelauer confirmed this: After his victory, a lot of things changed. The motivation fluctuated. Also, he needed to take a breather.

Henri Leconte: The fact that Jo was injured so young and for such a long time means that tennis is now a bonus. He had to start the hard way. I think that he’s less bothered by external influences than Yannick. He’s more open, more joyous.

CONCLUSION

Brothers, yes.
Twins, no.

Born after Noah’s victory at Roland Garros, Tsonga never modelled himself on the best French player of the modern era. The times, now more demanding, the competition more professional, would never permit him to do so. The only thing that he’s knowingly imitated of his predecessor is the “smiley” in his autographs. One common ground that both men share is their generosity, in their effort and in their emotions.

At Tsonga’s age, at 23 years and 10 months, Noah had just won Roland Garros. He was propelled to star status in French sports and already raised questions over his future, to the point that he finished 1983 in a state of depression. His professional career had started five years earlier. That of Tsonga’s was only launched 2½ years ago. The future belongs to him.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #153
country flag Månu

Månu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond repute

wow great job!

"We still believe that all people are born bad and are made good by society, rather than the opposite" Trey Parker & Matt Stone
Månu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #154
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thanks Turquoise, really appreciative of your hard work and you are really good at the translating, you translate it really well for a native english speaker to understand. I often use google translate as my French is not that great and it's awful so thank you once again
I've heard Jo say in interviews that he likes nature. I don't remember an awful lot about Noah (just that he was handsome, charismatic and had great hair!) so the comparisons between him and Jo are a good read.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #155
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Turquoise
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #156
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

You really are too awesome for us, Turquoise

I wanted to give you some rep again, but I need to spread around before
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #157
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the good rep thing is a real pain, you should be able to rep who you want when you want! Also if you do it too much generally it then tells you that you have done too much good repping in a 24 hour period. So annoying as I would have good rep'd you again too Turquoise
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #158
country flag Turquoise

Wow, thanks for your wonderful praise! It's really no trouble, I enjoy doing it especially for guys like you. There are obviously mistakes here and there, but I'm glad that you get the general gist of the article.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #159
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

Turquoise
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #160
country flag lilibel13

lilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond reputelilibel13 has a reputation beyond repute

Merci tout le monde de nous tenir au courant !!!!

Well jo is at the one of l'equipe mag if nobody have it i can post it

Here some pages of it
http://www.lequipemag.fr/EquipeMag/M...ndex_flip.html

And jo give an ITW in FHM BIONIC (read on purepeople) , it 's a bonus of the french fhm at this moment , i only that he says that he likes brunette's girls but like....blond beer
So if somoene have a bf ,brother or a husband who read this mag it will be gentle from to post it if you can
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #161
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

merci lili~~~
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #162
country flag krn81

krn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond reputekrn81 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if this news was given before.
Published this morning on L'Equipe, Jo will represent France for the world cup in Dusseldorf from the 17th to the 23rd of May.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...a-en-sera.html
krn81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #163
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that this morning but I am waiting for all of his calendar during the clay season to be published to put it up in a new thread.

I find it strange to be honest. It's a 250 equivalent and he is full for that kind of tournament. Plus it's just before RG. I also know that he will be at Barcelona too. We'll see...
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #164
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

you can vote for your favorite player

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1...ds/default.asp
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #165
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdany View Post
you can vote for your favorite player

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1...ds/default.asp
I voted~~~~~