News & articles - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #136
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & articles

thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #137
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

An article in the JDD today about the business aspect:
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #138
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

Merci bien Fran!

Interesting article...
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #139
country flag Fifteenlove

Fifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond reputeFifteenlove has a reputation beyond repute

Great article, he seems to be a really nice person to hang around with!
Fifteenlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #140
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fran xx
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #141
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

thanks but I don't know the mean....
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #142
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SelvenluvJo, I've worked on a translation for your benefit. Truc/McArthur please correct me where I've mistranslated

Since his explosive results at the 2008 Australian Open, various sponsors have been knocking at Jo’s door. Quite a number have been rejected, including an automobile constructor – the kind of offer that one would rarely refuse. Two firms have nevertheless secured his signature:

1) Tropicana: – Approaching Roland Garros, Jo’s effigy will prominently appear in supermarkets on packs of Tropicana fruit juices. His brand will supercede the glamour of Maria Sharapova.

2) The video games company, Electronic Arts – Jo will feature on the cover of its new video game: “Grand Slam Tennis” and will publicise the game in TV commercials. *The contract with Electronic Arts is the equivalent of those signed with Tony Parker, Karim Benzema and Franck Ribéry. The chief, Antoine Cohet, is very pleased at Jo’s involvement and has high hopes of his new ambassador. He said that Jo tested the game and once he learned how to play with his onscreen persona, he was hooked.

Even if Jo is not the highest-ranked national player (Simon and Monfils have overtaken him on ATP rankings), he has the most bankable element. His agent, Morgan Menahem explains that he has numerous qualities that attract sponsors: he wins matches, he is likeable, he has charisma, and is well-educated. Jo understands that what is rare is more expensive. *He wants to filter solicitations to the minimum as opposed to becoming a "sandwich-man". In 2008, Jo nonetheless amassed EUR1.5 million in prize money – more than sponsorship revenues of EUR600,000 mainly from his equipment/clothing sponsors Adidas and Wilson, as well at the chocolate manufacturer Ferrero.

Economic crisis or not, his sponsorship revenues will be increased this year, with the inclusion of two new sponsors and revision of contract with Ferrero. His contract with Ferrero was extended for 3 years in the wake of his success at Bercy last November, and the terms were more than doubled. Frédéric Thil, the Director General said that they gambled on Jo even before he fully realised his talent and they have not regretted it. It was a great opportunity at the time. Since then, Jo’s TV commercials have produced excellent rewards for them. He not only revitalized sales but has had a very strong impact on how the consumer perceives the product. They appreciate his style as well as his substance. Thil noted in particular how Jo is the first sports personality who actually calls him and takes an interest in their affairs. When he’s in Paris, he drives himself to the head office in Rouen. He makes the rounds of offices, signs autographs. He’s considered as one of their own.

He’s also the darling of the public, not just the French. “Two tournament directors were present at Marseille and made Jo their priority” observed Jean-François Caujolle, the boss at Open 13, where the Manceau triumphed. Jo is now in the elite group of tennis players who can attract substantial appearance fees – around EUR150,000. Only Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray can claim higher fees. Caujolle says that he did not have to pay as much as EUR150,000 for Jo in Marseille, but that’s mainly because they negotiated a 2-year agreement in 2008. Having said that, Caujolle says that he gave much more to Jo than to Djokovic for example. He said: “Jo is “Noah power 2”. The public adore him and he’s brought me much more than he’s cost me.” In brief, with Jo, money is happily and well spent.

Last edited by Turquoise : 03-03-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: *edited as per McArthur's kind comments
Turquoise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #143
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

You are great as always, Turquoise

I am such a lazy bum for never spending enough time on translations

Just one point : I think he has a contract with Electronic Art of a same amount than those of Parker, Benzema and Ribéry, but not combined. It's just a way for the journalist to stress out that he is as popular and bankable as them.

On Jo's part, we can obviously see that he doesn't want to become a "sandwich-man". He is filtering the sollicitations to the minimum.
Also, Fran posted the first mag of a french channel on the "musqueteers" ( here : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=139434 ), where he said it was a kind of dream come true for him to heve his own player in a video game ( ).

Last edited by MacArthur : 03-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #144
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks MacArthur You're very right about Electronic Art - I re-read it and realised my mistake. The "homme-sandwich" I wasn't very sure, but I suspected he was being selective about the brands he represents
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #145
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

Turquoise,thank you!!you are so nice haha
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #146
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, Turquoise, great job!
Here is the article about the Jo-Noah comparison today in L'Equipe, but I can't translate it, Selven, sorry!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Noah-Tsonga.pdf (186.9 KB, 22 views)
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #147
country flag Turquoise

I'll see what I can do tonight, at least translate the gist of the article. The comparisons are interesting and good reading. Thanks Truc!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #148
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Jo deserves so much what's happening to him.I'm happy for his endorsements but not because he's getting rich,getting much cash but especially because he represents so many positive things in France but also worldwide.
Merci Fran

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #149
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Jo is a great ambassador for France and for the sport.
Turquoise that was really nice of you to do that. Thank you so much
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #150
country flag Turquoise

You're all very welcome -my pleasure

Here's Part I

NOAH-TSONGA, THE FALSE TWINS

Comparison between the 1983 Roland Garros champion and the 2008 Australian Open finalist who possess two different temperaments beyond the norm:

10 days ago at Marseille, Tsonga declared that he wanted to top the awards’ list of French players of the modern era. This week, although he’s classed No. 3 national player as per the ATP rankings, he will lead the Davis Cup team. There are inevitable comparisons with Yannick Noah, the first mixed-race champion and French tennis emblem for the past 30 years (his first victory was in 1978).

To make hasty comparisons would be erroneous. “Jo is not Yann, Jo is Jo” asserts his coach, Éric Winogradsky. He is right.

The following individuals, who knew Yannick intimately as a player and who are also now in contact with Jo were consulted:
-Patrice Beust, first coach of Noah when he took tennis studies in Nice in 1970’s
-Patrice Hagelauer, his coach throughout most of his career;
-Henri Leconte, Thierry Tulasne, Guy Forget – his “little brothers” but back then, his rivals;
-Cédric Pioline, who knew him mostly as Captain;
- Éric Winogradsky, fellow player of Noah and nowadays Tsonga’s coach.

Their verdict is clear: between the Tsonga of today and the Noah of 23 years ago, there are many points in common, but just as many differences.

THE ORIGINS – FORMATION

Biggest point in common lies in their origins:

-both are born of mixed-race couples;
-French mother, African father: Zacharie Noah is Camerounian, Didier Tsonga is Congolese, both came to France for the sport;
-Zacharie Noah played in the great Sedan team that was victorious in the French Cup in 1961. Didier Tsonga was an international handballer who later pursued higher studies;
-The sports fibre runs in both families. Enzo, Tsonga’s brother plays basketball in Pro A. Joakim, Noah’s son, plays for the NBA;
-both were born in a town of provincial France: Noah on 16 Mai 1960 in Sedan; Tsonga on 17 April 1985 at Le Mans almost two years after Noah won at Roland Garros;
-both moved up through the FFT: high school of tennis studies, training at federal level, personal coach granted by the federation. Noah left the cocoon of the federation after winning his grand slam. At 23 years, Tsonga stays with FFT.

Biggest difference is in their itineraries:

-Tsonga has never left France. He learned to play tennis at Coulaines, in his club in the suburbs of Le Mans, and at 13 years, made a gradual transition to the tennis high school.
-Noah, aged 3 years, left for Yaoundé (Cameroon) with his parents. He thus spent his early childhood with his paternal grandfather. It was in Africa that Arthur Ashe discovered him whilst playing an exhibition tournament. At 12 years, he left his family to study tennis in Nice.
-Tsonga only went to Conga for the first time 11 months ago. “Yannick has stronger roots in Africa” says Éric Winogradsky. “Jo made the acquaintance of his grandfather only last year.”

Last edited by Turquoise : 03-05-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Turquoise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote