Riga Mortis: General Latvian tennis talk - Page 22 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #316
country flag ClubFed

ClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond reputeClubFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riga Mortis: General Latvian tennis talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
That is true With Juska and Karlis on the team, Ernie is only the third-tallest person
Oh, good. I thought that was just me

"Tennis players are such hoes. It's embarassing." -MarieS
ClubFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #317
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

I pretend I haven't seen the previous page of this thread

Aachen challenger Q:
1R: Andis Juška def KLOER Sascha (GER) 6/1 6/2
2R: Andis Juška def BEGEMANN Andre (GER) 4/6 6/3 6/4
final round of qualies vs 8th seed FAUREL Jean-Christophe (FRA)
Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #318
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Andis

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #319
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadie View Post
[size="1"]final round of qualies vs 8th seed FAUREL Jean-Christophe (FRA)
It'll be difficult but c'mawwwwnnn

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #320
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
in a few years nadal and federer will probably be the new santoro height wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truedaisy View Post
They will be the endangered species in tennis.... The new heights trend could define the future of the game...Bigger serves and faster, harder groundstrokes will be the order of the day (as if they're not hard and fast enough already!)....and Ernie is on the forefront of all that! Didn't Brad Gilbert say that Ernie is "the prototype of the modern tennis player"?
I've been thinking about this so called "probable future evolution" of tennis players a lot lately. Honestly, I dont know if I'd like them all to be similar to basketball players.
For example, if I look at Ivo Karlovic, this possibility makes me verrrry afraid (I just cant stand watching him play, his game is ugly, practically non-existing).
So I hope the direction tennis game follows will be different.
Of course, if it was more Ernests-like, it would just be great. But Ernests has many beautiful shots, and height is the key to only a few of them.
I mean, players' height is only one of the numerous "technical features" which define the game. Not the main one, and nor I hope it will become the main one. I.e. Andis Juska is taller than Ernests but his serve is way uglier and less effective than Ernests' one.
We all know the mechanics of Ernests' serve is virtually perfect, and I think it would be like that even if he was (God forbid!) a bit shorter.
(of course, I agree that, if he was shorter, his serve could be a little less dangerous than it is. But still, I think it would be better than Andis current serve)

Now, Andis-fans, dont get mad at me: I used Andis just to make a comparison, because he is one of the few players who are taller than Ernie and who I could watch play, being there. But I like Andis, anyway. (I could have spoken of Del Potro, too, if I liked him... but I dont)
ekkikossar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #321
country flag rafaelita

rafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkikossar View Post
I've been thinking about this so called "probable future evolution" of tennis players a lot lately. Honestly, I dont know if I'd like them all to be similar to basketball players.
For example, if I look at Ivo Karlovic, this possibility makes me verrrry afraid (I just cant stand watching him play, his game is ugly, practically non-existing).
Of course, if it was more Ernests-like, it would just be great. But Ernests has many beautiful shots, and height is the key to only a few of them.
I mean, players' height is only one of the numerous "technical features" which define the game. Not the main one, and nor I hope it will become the main one. I.e. Andis Juska is taller than Ernests but his serve is way uglier and less effective than Ernests' one.
We all know the mechanics of Ernests' serve is virtually perfect, and I think it would be like that even if he was (God forbid!) a bit shorter.
(of course, I agree that, if he was shorter, his serve could be a little less dangerous than it is. But still, I think it would be better than Andis current serve)

Now, Andis-fans, dont get mad at me: I used Andis just to make a comparison, because he is one of the few players who are taller than Ernie and who I could watch play, being there. But I like Andis, anyway. (I could have spoken of Del Potro, too, if I liked him... but I dont)
I agree to some extent. I don't know about the ugliness of it, but I know that it is, for me at least, so damn frustrating to see nothing but ace after ace. There's nothing to see, it's boring as hell! And if for me is frustrating, I can only imagine how would it feel for the opponent, just moving from one side to the other while the guy in front of you shoots aces at you. I remember seeing that kind of game at Roddick some years ago and that's why probably I never really liked him as a player. Fortunately, lately he has diversified his game (thanks to Connors, I'm sure ) and now it is a different thing watching him play.

I am very happy to be alive. There is much fun to be had. Music, movies, books, paintings, drawings... I hope you have these things where you are. If you have them, what does the real world matter anyway? JF - Letter for Children Of The Future

Alive with music, haunting my soul Love you more.

we are the same ♥
rafaelita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #322
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Watch it Camilla, I'm a fan of J-M Del Potro What exactly do you mean by mentioning his name? You're not going to tell me you think his game is ugly, right? His serve is so elegant, and when he hits the balls it looks so effortless.

About Roddick, it's true... Connors really did a great job. Andy's game is just way better and way more interesting. And what about his backhand! What a difference.
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #323
country flag ekkikossar

ekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond reputeekkikossar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post
Watch it Camilla, I'm a fan of J-M Del Potro What exactly do you mean by mentioning his name? You're not going to tell me you think his game is ugly, right? His serve is so elegant, and when he hits the balls it looks so effortless.
Ellen! The reasons why I dont like Del Potro dont involve tennis, but are determined by my own meanness.
I cant say I dont like him as a player, nor I dont like his game... but I cant really say I like him, because of envy. I envy his position in the ATP rankings: he's younger than Ernests and so I feel him as the living proof of Ernests' deficiencies (it's even more frustrating because I believe Ernests can play better than him, concentration excepted). Of course they are different.
By the way Im surely aware Juan Martin deserves what he got.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #324
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

Chile F3

Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #325
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Andis made main draw when Faurel retired after losing the first set.

He'll play the sixth seed, Andreas Beck their match is scheduled at 5pm local time today.

Sarauj Andi!

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 AM   #326
country flag Truedaisy

Truedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond reputeTruedaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkikossar View Post

Before Serena and Venus came along, most of the women players did not sport so much muscle-mass as they did (I mean Serena in particular)! Hingis' downfall was attributed to not being able to keep up with those two. Soon, people were saying they were modernizing the game by their sheer physical power and I had to agree. But as is obvious, evolution is very slow. I don't see too many muscle-packed players after them! Will they set a trend? Who knows? But I bet that when more players with their physicality come along, women's game will change.

I agree with you that height alone cannot a great player make! (I don't like watching Karlovic either--aagghh! and aces without constructive play is NO FUN!) But Ernests does not only have the height but also shoulder width (unlike Ancic or Cilic) and this is what allows him IMO to hit the ball so hard. Many of his opponents comment on how hard he hits the ball- even Nadal! I think what he brings into the game is the new velocity. And he moves very well for his size, too! Of course, his shot variety and all those other talents that he has that we all love so much are just PURE ERNESTS! And that's what makes him great!

Last edited by Truedaisy : 10-28-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Truedaisy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #327
country flag jitterbug

Hitting the ball hard does not a great player make. Just watch Tursunov and Andreev.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #328
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Nadia, thanks for the pics of Deniss in Chile

Shame Andis got through to MD in the circumstances he did Hope Faurel is soon OK again Que sera,sera Good luck Andis

Ernests has had more tactics coming into his game, the change up serve and volleying(rather than when he used to do it with wreckless abandon on surfaces not suited to pure s/v), drop shots, a little more slice, when he's regularly smarter on court the label ballbasher will be harder to justify

The best current example of a player with it all: how to employ tactics(along with a great return, intelligent shot selection, an ever improving serve with a good rate of economy, impressive reading of the game, timing, changes of pace, and a high level of durability - physical fitness, defensive capability, easy and natural footwork, relentless consistency of performance, most importantly, a stable mindset, is Andy Murray. I don't think there is any other player currently with as many facets to their game.

If Erno can get somewhere close to this level in the future it would be truly incredible, there is so much he can improve in the way Murray has, pure power and talent won't be enough for Erno to fully realise his potential. I'm looking forward to finding out how close he can get to that frighteningly high level.

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #329
country flag ekkikossar

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
The best current example of a player with it all: how to employ tactics(along with a great return, intelligent shot selection, an ever improving serve with a good rate of economy, impressive reading of the game, timing, changes of pace, and a high level of durability - physical fitness, defensive capability, easy and natural footwork, relentless consistency of performance, most importantly, a stable mindset, is Andy Murray. I don't think there is any other player currently with as many facets to their game.
Yes, thats true. Everyone sees how Andy has really improved from every side, he's a marvellous player right now. But I think he is not the only one who has it all: Nadal possesses all of the things you listed, serve excepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
If Erno can get somewhere close to this level in the future it would be truly incredible, there is so much he can improve in the way Murray has, pure power and talent won't be enough for Erno to fully realise his potential. I'm looking forward to finding out how close he can get to that frighteningly high level.
Yeah, I guess the only thing we can do is waiting and seeing. It will take some time to get there.
(If Im not wrong, Andy himself had a lot of pressure on him because everyone was expecting him to be the next great British tennis player, it took 3 years to him to move from a 60 to a 4 place.)
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #330
country flag jitterbug

Juska and Beck are at 5-4* in the third set... Intense!

http://www.atp-ac.com/news/livescorexml/livescore.html

Quote: