Riga Mortis: General Latvian tennis talk - Page 120 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #1786
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riga Mortis: General Latvian tennis talk

So nice to see Karlis as a coach!

#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #1787

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

NO one writes in here anymore. I've been wondering what Andis & Deniss have been up to these last few months. Anyone know? Would be nice to get some current information on them!
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1788
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Sportacentrs posted a very long interview with Karlis. It's obviously too long to be translated in its entirety but here are some points I found interesting or didn't know before:

- he started playing tennis by chance. When he was in the first grade, a coach came to his school and asked children to try playing tennis. About 50 kids signed up but Karlis was the only one who continued playing for years.

- he and Ernests practiced together from age 11 till 14. They were no.1 and 2 in Latvia in their age group and they both had a similar level, one wasn't clearly better than the other.

- the reason he didn't go to a university in the US like he had planned to is that he found out he would have had to play tennis for their team and he couldn't compete seriously because of his knee.

- he was Peer's assistant coach until she split with her main coach in February. Then he had to act as the main coach until May when Peer found a new coach. Karlis said he didn't feel he was qualified to really be a main coach because of his lack of experience but he did the best he could. When she got a new coach he reverted back to his old role. Now Peer has finished her season and Karlis doesn't think he will continue to travel with her next season. He spent two weeks in May at Bresnik's academy with Ernests and Bresnik asked him to come back to coach children when he's available. Karlis enjoyed his coaching experience there in May so now he's going back to Vienna to work there.

- he enjoys coaching for now but he'd like to become an agent for tennis players eventually.

- he's glad for the opportunity to be the DC captain and he thinks it's an honor. He wants to help tennis in Latvia.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #1789

WOW! I didn't know a lot of that. Thank you for posting! I wish he would have mentioned some of that in my interview
I think it's great he will help teach kids and it seems he has a lot of things going for him! Since he might not travel with Peer next season, I hope we still see him travel with Ernests a great deal!

edit: If anyone would like to do a fuller translation, I would love to use some of this for a full length article on Karlis for my blog. I had planned to do a large article on him after Davis Cup but then I decided to include my interviews into a Davis Cup post.
#ToNameAFew

ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #1790
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Andis is not doing too good, 6-3, 2-6, 2-3 down a break.
eze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1791
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

And it´s 1:1 after first day, Andis lost his match
Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #1792
country flag eze

I don´t know if there are still people here who are interested about Latvian tennis in general, but I think it is big news, so I post them:

Former Latvian no 3 Karlis Lejnieks(26) is hired as the new General Secretary of Latvian Tennis Union, he will also still be Davis Cup team coach.

Karlis has said that his main goal for a start will be to get Ernests to play in DC again.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #1793
country flag Ginevra83

Ginevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond reputeGinevra83 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
I don´t know if there are still people here who are interested about Latvian tennis in general, but I think it is big news, so I post them:

Former Latvian no 3 Karlis Lejnieks(26) is hired as the new General Secretary of Latvian Tennis Union, he will also still be Davis Cup team coach.

Karlis has said that his main goal for a start will be to get Ernests to play in DC again.

I saw the news...so happy for Karlis! Really nice to have new young men at these position, I think it will be good to develop interest for tennis in Latvia!!