David News & Articles - Page 227 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #3391
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: David News & Articles

Ohhh...crap!!

Nalby has been forced to retire from the Heineken Open and the AO is also in doubt:

http://tvnz.co.nz/tennis-news/nalban...injury-3327778

David Nalbandian has been forced to withdraw from Auckland's Heineken Open.
Nalbandian, who is returning from injury after being ranked as high as three in the world, suffered an abdominal strain while practising for the Heineken and made a late decision to withdraw. His place will be taken by Inigo Cervantes-Huegun.

It's disappointing for the Auckland event with the Argentine considered a big draw card and will require some changes to the draw.

An MRI confirmed the strain and Nalbandian's Australian Open participation is now also in doubt.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #3392
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Very disappointed with this latest development.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #3393
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Very disappointed with this latest development.
Yea, I remember in 2008 he had back spasms and pulled out of Kooyong before the AO. He played it anyway and was routed by the Mosquito that year. Last year he won Sydney, but that didn't help him in the AO as he had another early second round exit. Some other articles I've read have called it a "slight" (their word, not mine) strain.

It appears the AO is probably out of the question :

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKSGE60A06F20100111
Quote:
Nalbandian was due to play former Auckland Open winner Philipp Kohlschreiber in the first round on Tuesday but scans showed he suffered a slight strain, possibly jeopardising his chances of playing in the Australian Open.

"These usually take 10 to 15 days to come right," tournament director Richard Palmer told the New Zealand Press Association.

Last edited by Nolby : 01-11-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #3394
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #3395
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodal View Post
Yea, I remember in 2008 he had back spasms and pulled out of Kooyong before the AO. He played it anyway and was routed by the Mosquito that year. Last year he won Sydney, but that didn't help him in the AO as he had another early second round exit. Some other articles I've read have called it a "slight" (their word, not mine) strain.

It appears the AO is probably out of the question :

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKSGE60A06F20100111
It just feels odd that it is mentioned as a "slight" strain, as if it were implying that he would be okay for the AO. Especially if Richard Palmer has said that it probably takes 10 to 15 days to recover from this.

I mean, I'm sure we all remember when he had those back spasms and comparatively they were described as being painful/serious even though he recovered to play the AO then.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #3396
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It just feels odd that it is mentioned as a "slight" strain, as if it were implying that he would be okay for the AO. Especially if Richard Palmer has said that it probably takes 10 to 15 days to recover from this.

I mean, I'm sure we all remember when he had those back spasms and comparatively they were described as being painful/serious even though he recovered to play the AO then.
Yea, Krystlel, I remember that time period well on the old davidnalbandian.com web Forum ("Owljustice" here ). There was quite a debate back then because he had just won the Paris and Madrid Masters to close out the season and expectations were high.

Expectations couldn't be lower right now, at least in this fan's mind's eye. So I don't see much controversy on when and where he decides to make a start. I just want to see him play again.

Their use of the ambiguously stated "possibly jeopardising his chances of playing in the Australian Open" and having Richard Palmer quote "10-15 days" for recovery confuses me. It would seem to imply that his recovery date would be after the AO begins (1/18), so he will not be able to play until afterwards. But "possibly jeopardising" implies he won't make a decision on the AO until later.

If I was in charge of his schedule for this return, I would have had him playing Doha, Chennai or Brisbane, and then skipping play this week at Sydney and Aukland (or Kooyong) to get rested for the AO. Playing a tourney the week before the Australian Open never made much sense to me given his recovery circumstances, especially given the fact he did not receive a pass to defend his Sydney title.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3397
country flag krystlel

Quote:
If I was in charge of his schedule for this return, I would have had him playing Doha, Chennai or Brisbane, and then skipping play this week at Sydney and Aukland (or Kooyong) to get rested for the AO. Playing a tourney the week before the Australian Open never made much sense to me given his recovery circumstances, especially given the fact he did not receive a pass to defend his Sydney title.
I agree. After reading about this news, I thought the same thing. So if he does develop an injury in the first week, there's more time to recover for the Australian Open... and given his history, it does seem like he needs it. Not to mention that him doing poorly last year may have had something to do with not having enough time to recover physically from Sydney.

Yeah, I know this year is much more about just wanting to see him play again, not the expectations. Well I never really posted myself on the old davidnalbandian.net fan forum though I am aware of the site. I mostly stuck to this forum over the years.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #3398
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I agree. After reading about this news, I thought the same thing. So if he does develop an injury in the first week, there's more time to recover for the Australian Open... and given his history, it does seem like he needs it. Not to mention that him doing poorly last year may have had something to do with not having enough time to recover physically from Sydney.

Yeah, I know this year is much more about just wanting to see him play again, not the expectations. Well I never really posted myself on the old davidnalbandian.net fan forum though I am aware of the site. I mostly stuck to this forum over the years.
Oh yeah...it was davidnalbandian.net. The davidnalbandian.com site has been unavailable so often lately, I got mixed up. I noticed that it is available now though. I probably just thought of you as a long time David fan who was on that site because of the many articles you've written on David that I've read (along with many other tennis articles as well). Sorry about that, Krystlel. His home web site is reporting the injury too, but stating that he has not made a decision yet on the Australian Open. So I guess we get to sit and wait on that one.

David has always been a player who is sensitive to the heat, even in his early days. I have the 4th Round match against Fed in the AO 2003 that he won. He was drenched with sweat after 3 games in that match. So I agree that winning Sydney 2009 did not do him any favors going into the AO. It may turn out that he still plays the Australian Open and it is wiser decision that he doesn't push himself too far this week. I wish he had played last week though so we could now have a better idea on how he would fare competitively.

If he waits until after the AO to make his return, I am guessing he will do so at the Copa Telmex in mid February. That would allow him to go home and renew his preparations. Of course that would mean we would have to wait another month... I hope he gives the AO a shot even if he loses in the early rounds.

Last edited by Nolby : 01-11-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typos...woozy from flu. :lol:
Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #3399
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Oh yeah...it was davidnalbandian.net. The davidnalbandian.com site has been unavailable so often lately, I got mixed up. I noticed that it is available now though. I probably just thought of you as a long time David fan who was on that site because of the many articles you've written on David that I've read (along with many other tennis articles as well). Sorry about that, Krystlel. His home web site is reporting the injury too, but stating that he has not made a decision yet on the Australian Open. So I guess we get to sit and wait on that one.

David has always been a player who is sensitive to the heat, even in his early days. I have the 4th Round match against Fed in the AO 2003 that he won. He was drenched with sweat after 3 games in that match. So I agree that winning Sydney 2009 did not do him any favors going into the AO. It may turn out that he still plays the Australian Open and it is wiser decision that he doesn't push himself too far this week. I wish he had played last week though so we could now have a better idea on how he would fare competitively.

If he waits until after the AO to make his return, I am guessing he will do so at the Copa Telmex in mid February. That would allow him to go home and renew his preparations. Of course that would mean we would have to wait another month... I hope he gives the AO a shot even if he loses in the early rounds.
By now he has pulled out of the Australian Open too. I'm still recovering from this, but from my point of view, at least it's better knowing early.

I am not sure whether the sweat meant much. But I watched that match after downloading it, and yeah his fitness wasn't that great. Despite winning it in five sets, he got tired in the fourth set and kind of threw it away, only to come back incredibly strong in the fifth to the surprise of everyone. I was a little surprised by it because everyone that comes across old David videos on YouTube will often comment on how fit he looks. But yeah, it didn't look like that was his physical peak either.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #3400
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

Nalby withdrew from AO (source la Nacion)Nest "come back" BA ? Or maybe a WC for Costa do Sauipe ???
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #3401
country flag freeandlonely

freeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond repute

Sad, still.
Or disappointed is the more accurate word.

He lift a GS trophy in my dream.
freeandlonely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #3402
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What a nightmare week it has been for my favorite players. This blog article on Nalby's withdrawal from Auckland and the Australian Open from "New Balls, Please" says it all with a photo:

http://newballs.wordpress.com/2010/0...stralian-open/

It’s official; the abdominal injury sustained during practicing for the Heineken Open will delay David Nalbandian’s return to the tour and force him to miss the Australian Open. And that’s all I have to say about that:

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #3403
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see this "strange" article in La Voz ? A guy pretends David hit him and he called police...really strange. David denied
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #3404
country flag silviagz

silviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond reputesilviagz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!
It seems that the guy (a taxi driver) called the police but never went to the police station for a formal complaint... Weird.
silviagz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #3405
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviagz View Post
Hi all!
It seems that the guy (a taxi driver) called the police but never went to the police station for a formal complaint... Weird.
From reading comments on Vamos David, it sounds like this thing is really being blown out of proportion. I found a rather crummy YouTube video of someone taping their blinking tv set showing it is getting top news in Argentina:

This site has better videos and news reports:

This is the best English Report I've seen on it.

Best news I've seen from the injury and this turmoil is that David is looking pretty fit and my sense is that his injury came from working too hard. Other comments I've read seem to indicate he is dedicated to his fitness and workouts and is going a little too hard if anything. So that is good. I am so much looking forward to seeing him play competitively again.

Last edited by Nolby : 01-20-2010 at 02:50 AM.