What seems to be the problem? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #31
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What seems to be the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I agree that his pace is SLOW but pushing someone before they are ready is a sure prescription for disaster in the long run; its a fine line between encouragement and pushing. But it is now time he was ready to be pushed.
I'm not saying that Francis should be a Yuri or Richard (Williams) but Gasquet said that his dad never pushed him and he only care about looking good on court. That's the problem IMO. His whole life, Richie's dad never said ''Win, win, win.'' It's always ''If you lose it's okay. Next time.''
Kudryavtseva def. Sharapova 6-2, 6-4
Tipsarevic def. Roddick 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, 7-6
Dancevic def. Nalbandian 6-4, 6-2, 6-4
Zheng def. Ivanovic 6-1, 6-4
Tanasugarn def. Jankovic 6-3, 6-2
Radwanska def. Kuznetsova 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
Allure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 AM   #32
country flag EternalxJourney

EternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow so much has happened since the last time I checked in here. It's really depressing to see the results recently and the hoopla surrounding DC but I know Richard will bounce back. He is capable of much more and I really believe he'll come back stronger...or at least with more confidence. Much love to my fellow Gasquetaires He'll be BACK...never in doubt.
EternalxJourney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #33
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
I'm not saying that Francis should be a Yuri or Richard (Williams) but Gasquet said that his dad never pushed him and he only care about looking good on court. That's the problem IMO. His whole life, Richie's dad never said ''Win, win, win.'' It's always ''If you lose it's okay. Next time.''
watch this video posted by lilibel: http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...43105&page=105

In the background you can hear the father shouting: "move in" (avance), "harder" (plus fort) to the nine year old. He also says he never pushes him for results (only for physical build-up and concentration - a nine year old ) but can one really believe it? I don't anymore. In the beginning, I also fell into the trap and trusted his words, I am not doing this anymore. The shadow of Francis Gasquet is looming heavily over Richard. He is supposed to achieve all the father could not, due to circumstances of life and lacking talent and money.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #34
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
watch this video posted by lilibel: http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...43105&page=105

In the background you can hear the father shouting: "move in" (avance), "harder" (plus fort) to the nine year old. He also says he never pushes him for results (only for physical build-up and concentration - a nine year old ) but can one really believe it? I don't anymore. In the beginning, I also fell into the trap and trusted his words, I am not doing this anymore. The shadow of Francis Gasquet is looming heavily over Richard. He is supposed to achieve all the father could not, due to circumstances of life and lacking talent and money.
So you're saying that Richard's dad did push him? Hmm...if so, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. Unless he is over tne top and overzealous like Yuri.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #35
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Parents and coaching - always a delicate balance and results vary depending on the personalitites. But in general it doesn't work in the long run and as Puschkin said, all too often it is a parent trying to live out their own unrealized dream through their child.

We have NO idea about Francis and Richard but from the comments I've read from Papa Gasquet, it seemed that he had a pretty healthly perspective on his son's tennis (until he opened his mouth about the Davis Cup situation).

I've seen A LOT of junior tennis player development and it is always interesting to see what works for different children but one thing is for sure, only a certain type of personality can tolerate being really pushed as opposed to being ENCOURAGED and even fewer can tolerate being pushed by a parent. The only pushing that seems to be effective on everyone is being pushed to give your best effort (100%)everytime you walk on the court and results will come, especially if you are as talented as Richard, and if results don't come, you are still a winner if you gave it your all.

Did I read somewhere that his parents sold their home and club to move to Paris when he was 15 or 16? If so that was a pretty clear signal.

But enough psych... whatever it is/was, the future awaits and it can still be an amazing time for Richard. I hope he goes for it and I'll be cheering when he does.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #36
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I agree that his pace is SLOW but pushing someone before they are ready is a sure prescription for disaster in the long run; its a fine line between encouragement and pushing. But it is now time he was ready to be pushed.
Has there been any pace at all??
I mean,do you frankly think he has improved his game since 2006,even a little bit?
richie21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with him is his lack of confidence,I think he must do a 360° virage and hire a new coach,with another way to work if compared to debliker. He needs a real change,a "refreshing" change.Someeone with great and strong personality to make him realize how good he can be if he trust on himself and go fighting like a warrior at every match he play,against a player like nadal or lower ranked like querrey.
I think he really need a REAL CHANGE, to live a new experience and become another player.

did he say that he would work with kuerten coach,the one who made him win 3 roland garros?would be handsome if he can be the player of such an experienced man.I think debliker was the "good man" for him at a time he needed someone different than his dad. But now he needs to get through another step.He has waited too much.
well like some said here,it all depends on richard willness,do he want to be just a good player not doing big things or perhaps occasionally, or he has this determination to try something different and take some initiatives.

Yes like some say;time to "man up" and know what he really want.TIME TO ACT.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori

Last edited by lisaplenske : 05-04-2008 at 05:02 PM.
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #38
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

We've all been doing a bit of speculating about Richard's form, fitness, passion, and dedication over the past month. But it's gotten us (and him!) nowhere. And these quotes prove he has no answers either.

Quote:
"After losing the first set, I lost all my confidence," Gasquet said. "I played my worst match of the year."

I'm either way high or way low, and now I'm very low," Gasquet said, adding that he is not enjoying the sport right now.

"It's really difficult on the court. I need to win some matches and have fun."

"I knew he was capable, just today anyone could have beaten me," Gasquet said.
Reading them made me wonder: is Richie depressed? I don't mean the casual depressed but I mean, is he clinically depressed? Can he be diagnosed with depression? I have struggled with moderate to severe depression for about 8 months and it's very serious. At my lowest, it was hard to even get out of bed and function. So I can understand how difficult it would be to try your best on the tennis court if you are feeling that bed.

Depression is hard for people to understand because it's not a physical disease like mono. It's mental, and it's very common for people to say, "Just get over it." But that doesn't help because that's insinuating that you have control over these feelings and you are forcing yourself to feel bad. Trust me, NO ONE wants to be depressed. It's a horrible feeling waking up with no passion and no desires and not wanting to do anything.

I don't want to diagnose Richard, but I'm going with my own personal experiences. He sounds depressed. Like me, he needs a break. I took about a 2 month break from school and work, saw a therapist, and began a medication regiment, and I'm doing great!!

Now, I'm not saying this is what Richard needs exactly because depression is different for everyone, but I definitely think he needs a break from tennis and from the stress. He is not a defending anything at the FO. He should skip it. He is defedning so many points at Wimbledon and he needs to be fresh mentally for that.

That's my opinion.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #39
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Was speechless. Was sad to read his interview transcript. Was depressed.

Come back Richie

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #40
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

I hope this slump will pass.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #41
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

he decided to act!thank god!

his new coach will be guillaume peyre,the one who was coaching bagdathis when he reached the AO finale in 2006.

Apparently he is really different from debliker(younger too)
hopefully he will help richard and make him recover his confidence and boost it even more.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaplenske View Post
he decided to act!thank god!

his new coach will be guillaume peyre,the one who was coaching bagdathis when he reached the AO finale in 2006.

Apparently he is really different from debliker(younger too)
hopefully he will help richard and make him recover his confidence and boost it even more.
That's great news.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #43
country flag cesca

cesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond repute

As a newbie, I would just like to say that this was SUCH an interesting thread. I had been following that Richie was going through a bad patch but your comments were practically all thought-provoking and a lot were poignant. A few also nearly made my cry (which is impressive because I rarely do) and suddenly realised the pressure that our darling boy (or man) is constantly under.

I don't know if any of you follow snooker but I can see a similarity to Ronnie O'Sullivan. He is considered to be the naturally most-gifted player of all time but he to has struggled with expectation and commitment and therefore despite some great results, many believe him to be an underachiever. He also has talked about disliking the game at times and wanting to give it up and the quotes by Richie seemed quite similar- especially with BGT's remarks about depression as RO'S is a sufferer of clinical depression.

A bit of a late-comer post, for which I apologise.
cesca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote