What seems to be the problem? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What seems to be the problem?

The saying is, "Man up!"

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw this quote from him. I don't remember it verbatim but he said something like when he is 23 or 24 he expects to hit his peak and then he will win more. That made me go Is he serious saying that?? He is sorting of giving excuses for himself now saying "the reason I haven't performed well so far in my career is because I haven't hit my peak. Wait a few years and see what I will do."

Now that's not exactly what he said, but that's what he sounds like. I think that's his problem. He isn't trying hard NOW because he thinks he will be good enough in a few years to beat the big players. He's 21!! Roddick won the USO at 21. Chang won the French Open at 17!! It's never too early to play and be your best Richard!! What is he going to say when he's 23 and 24 and still having bad results? Wait until I'm 26 or 27; I'll be REALLY good then.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 04-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BGT*~ View Post
I just saw this quote from him. I don't remember it verbatim but he said something like when he is 23 or 24 he expects to hit his peak and then he will win more. That made me go Is he serious saying that?? He is sorting of giving excuses for himself now saying "the reason I haven't performed well so far in my career is because I haven't hit my peak. Wait a few years and see what I will do."

Now that's not exactly what he said, but that's what he sounds like. I think that's his problem. He isn't trying hard NOW because he thinks he will be good enough in a few years to beat the big players. He's 21!! Roddick won the USO at 21. Chang won the French Open at 17!! It's never too early to play and be your best Richard!! What is he going to say when he's 23 and 24 and still having bad results? Wait until I'm 26 or 27; I'll be REALLY good then.

I think he said it during Mumbai tournament last year... he also said something like he will be able to beat Roger Federer in 2 years

It is all about desire and belief with Richard... some people say about bad forehand and serve, but the truth is when he is playing well he is placing his serves on a dime and players can't even get to his forehand to attack it, because Richard does not allow them.
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
country flag my0118

my0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond repute

He's so up and down in one match too..
my0118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BGT*~ View Post

How do you know he is not trying hard? This kind of comments are nonsense. Richard works hard. (read Santoro's comments if you doubt it)

As for reaching his peak at 23-24.. he is a pro player.. he works with professionals too.. and they know quite well the weaknesses in Richard's game. And they have objectives, schedules and methods. They know more than you what it will take for Richard to reach his peak.

I am happy he is not Roddick nor Chang btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1980 View Post

It is all about desire and belief with Richard... some people say about bad forehand and serve, but the truth is when he is playing well he is placing his serves on a dime and players can't even get to his forehand to attack it, because Richard does not allow them.
I am convinced Richard doesn't lack desire. Of course he is not a Djokovic or Monfils who are not afraid to say "I want to be the world #1". It's his nature. What he lacks at the moment is not only confidence on the court but also to feel good in his head on and off the court. He is fragile mentally and his start of the season has been really poor but he is positive in interviews and knows that he can bounce back. The only thing he needs now is some rest and to find some serenity.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

How many times do you see really talented people not live up to their potential and media hype?

Tremendous talent can often be a curse and I think Richard is a prime example of that. Things were relatively easy for him through his junior years and he never learned how to REALLY fight - didn't have to, won anyway. Couple that with a laid back, mellow personality and you have RIchard, an extremely talented player who has to learn how to tough it out in the brutal world that is professional tennis.

Then dump on the media hype that has been telling him and the world he is the greatest since he was 9 and it's no wonder he doesn't feel confident when losses pile up and he doesn't live up to what he "should" be.

Everyone talks of how weak he is but to go through all the pressures he has continually faced with his shy, mellow nature, I think he is actually quite tough in one sense. He will never be a Nadal or Djoke (good thing) but I'm sure he wants to win and works as hard as they do, he just has a much more serene nature. Richie just has to learn what it means to REALLY compete every minute he is on the court and believe that if he tries his hardest EVERY minute, he IS a winner no matter what the score is and no matter what anyone else says.

Those around him I think sheltered him through the tough teen years and that was probably wise but perhaps they did TOO good of a job. He is now almost 22 and time to deal with all the ugly realities of life on the tour (and in the world).

GOOD LUCK RICHIE. Get rest, clear your head and come out firing ....I await many more amazing matches from you - I know they are coming.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #22
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie* View Post
How do you know he is not trying hard? This kind of comments are nonsense. Richard works hard. (read Santoro's comments if you doubt it)

As for reaching his peak at 23-24.. he is a pro player.. he works with professionals too.. and they know quite well the weaknesses in Richard's game. And they have objectives, schedules and methods. They know more than you what it will take for Richard to reach his peak.

I am happy he is not Roddick nor Chang btw.

I am convinced Richard doesn't lack desire. Of course he is not a Djokovic or Monfils who are not afraid to say "I want to be the world #1". It's his nature. What he lacks at the moment is not only confidence on the court but also to feel good in his head on and off the court. He is fragile mentally and his start of the season has been really poor but he is positive in interviews and knows that he can bounce back. The only thing he needs now is some rest and to find some serenity.

Novak says it and he delivers and that's what matters. Monfils can say whatever he wants, but he plays like he has NO desire as well... he is staying 15 feet behind the baseline rolling balls back and that's all.

Here is the difference between Richard and Novak:

both blew 6-7 breakpoints in their matches against Sammy (Richard in second set, Novak in first).... one fell apart after that, the other has risen to the occasion and did not lose a GAME after that. That is the difference in the desire and belief as I see it.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here is the difference between Richard and Novak:

both blew 6-7 breakpoints in their matches against Sammy (Richard in second set, Novak in first).... one fell apart after that, the other has risen to the occasion and did not lose a GAME after that. That is the difference in the desire and belief as I see it.
I saw part of that too, quite a contrast. But I don't think it is a lack of desire - Richard wants to win as much as anyone out there or why in the world would he keep submitting himself to some of this torture! He just doesn't quite know how to kick it up. ANd we all know Novak has enough belief in himself for about 2 or 3 Richies. IF Novak could just give 10% of his confidence to Richard...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #24
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he said it during Mumbai tournament last year... he also said something like he will be able to beat Roger Federer in 2 years

Yeah he said that........two years ago just after his final at MS of Toronto!
richie21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I saw part of that too, quite a contrast. But I don't think it is a lack of desire - Richard wants to win as much as anyone out there or why in the world would he keep submitting himself to some of this torture! He just doesn't quite know how to kick it up. ANd we all know Novak has enough belief in himself for about 2 or 3 Richies. IF Novak could just give 10% of his confidence to Richard...
I agree totally.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
country flag Vlad1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Fact is Richard waits for his opponents mistakes instead of going for it and taking it. I am not talking about breakpoints in second set, I also talk about all those 15-30 on Sam serve points in third set when Richard has done NOTHING on them. When your opponent does not miss, then he should realize that the only way to win is to take initiative in his own hands. It takes courage and desire. Right now, he has neither.

Richard is top 10 now and he is satisfied with his rankings (He said it many times that he is top 10 and it is good and he wants to stay there and make Masters Cup again). The second he will drop out of top 10 (and he will because he is playing like top 50 now), only then he will start playing better.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fact is Richard waits for his opponents mistakes instead of going for it and taking it. I am not talking about breakpoints in second set, I also talk about all those 15-30 on Sam serve points in third set when Richard has done NOTHING on them. When your opponent does not miss, then he should realize that the only way to win is to take initiative in his own hands. It takes courage and desire. Right now, he has neither.

Richard is top 10 now and he is satisfied with his rankings (He said it many times that he is top 10 and it is good and he wants to stay there and make Masters Cup again). The second he will drop out of top 10 (and he will because he is playing like top 50 now), only then he will start playing better.
ITA. Richard waits for his opponents to make mistakes instead of being the aggressor. He doesn't have belief in himself and it doesn't help that those around him coddle him and let him go at his own pace (which is SLOW). If only his parents had pushed him more...
Kudryavtseva def. Sharapova 6-2, 6-4
Tipsarevic def. Roddick 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, 7-6
Dancevic def. Nalbandian 6-4, 6-2, 6-4
Zheng def. Ivanovic 6-1, 6-4
Tanasugarn def. Jankovic 6-3, 6-2
Radwanska def. Kuznetsova 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
Allure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #28
country flag Jozie

Jozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond reputeJozie has a reputation beyond repute

I really think Richie doesn't give much thought or time even between points. He just rushes the through the games, and when he isn't playing well, he absolutely can't wait to just get off the court. It's like it is quite painful for him.

Just watching Fed, Djoko, Nadal and Davydenko today. They all just take that little extra time to contemplate what they are doing before each and every point.

I always feel exhausted watching Richie. Its like he just wants to get the business over and done with. Whether he's winning or losing. He just really does not look comfortable out there.

Am I right or wrong? It is just something I picked up this afternoon. Maybe just grasping for straws.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
Jozie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #29
country flag ~*BGT*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie* View Post

That's not my opinion. That's the insinuation I got from reading the quote. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but when he said that, one of the first things I thought was "Maybe he thinks he doesn't have to give his all NOW because he knows he will do better in the FUTURE."

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #30
country flag Schu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
ITA. Richard waits for his opponents to make mistakes instead of being the aggressor. He doesn't have belief in himself and it doesn't help that those around him coddle him and let him go at his own pace (which is SLOW). If only his parents had pushed him more...
I agree that his pace is SLOW but pushing someone before they are ready is a sure prescription for disaster in the long run; its a fine line between encouragement and pushing. But it is now time he was ready to be pushed.