Clay season 2008 - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #256
country flag Herdwick

Herdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond reputeHerdwick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay season 2008

Brilliant result. Only got in to see the last set and Ferrer wasn't really at his best but am just so happy for Gael - a great win. Hope for a great performance against Fed and to see him roaring up the rankings.
Herdwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #257
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question, was Champion called for coaching again today? Cuz I was on another board and a couple of posters pointed out that Champion was coaching Gael. Just wondering... Champion is very excitable.
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #258
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moretogo View Post
Quick question, was Champion called for coaching again today? Cuz I was on another board and a couple of posters pointed out that Champion was coaching Gael. Just wondering... Champion is very excitable.
I watched the whole match and I didn't see any coaching from Thierry...it was more Ferrer's coach who was coaching
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #259
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

Splendid match from gael

He was really serious and focused, and that all along the match.

It's a great step for his game that he has passed today. I think he proved that he is able to be a great defender and a great attacker at the right time.

I am impressed in particular by the quality of his returns, wherever he were on the court, even if that was already obvious after the match against Lyubicic. But today, he was often able to back it up with some agressive shots wich earned him quite some points. The first set was a really good flash of what game he can produce at his best.

The second set was more the moonballing Gael. It was dangerous because his serve let him go two times. But it's not as bad as some "expert" seems to think. I reckon that it's a good tactic to employ at certain moments to wear down the opponent, to make him lose his mind and his confidence. He has the stamina for it.
Then, he can terminate the "beast" with some solid forehands in the contre-pied (truc, if you know the right word, you are welcome) and beautiful returns from his backhand .

The match against Federer is going to be something . I am quite sure that Gael is looking for the run of Jo at the AO. So now, like him against Nadal, he needs to make his miracle against Federer (before losing in the final ).

Anyway, it's a great year for the frenchies in the slams so far and I am betting my money on Richard to make the final at wimbledon to complete the explosion of the trio (before the victory of Chardy at the US Open, soyons fou ).

Last edited by MacArthur : 06-04-2008 at 10:56 PM.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #260
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

So I stayed up and watched this match on my DVR. Even more proud of Gael for playing a very mature match. (2nd set antics aside, which I don't think were that bad he didn't call a trainer after all) The match against Federer should be interesting again, I have no idea what Gael is going to try and do. Hopefully the crowd will be solidly behind him.

Of yeah, here's a little quibble from the presser...

Quote:
Q. In Monte‑Carlo, I remember you practicing with Marat Safin. He went crazy, and he said, Monfils, I don't understand. You have all available shots on your racquets, and you're just 90th player in the world.

GAËL MONFILS: Well, Thierry told me that many times. After this practicing match with Marat he told me that, and at that time I had not realized.
Lawd, I like all the crazies it seems.... (Marat giving anyone advice )
Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #261
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moretogo View Post
So I stayed up and watched this match on my DVR. Even more proud of Gael for playing a very mature match. (2nd set antics aside, which I don't think were that bad he didn't call a trainer after all) The match against Federer should be interesting again, I have no idea what Gael is going to try and do. Hopefully the crowd will be solidly behind him.

Of yeah, here's a little quibble from the presser...

Lawd, I like all the crazies it seems.... (Marat giving anyone advice )
yeah, I read that too on TGFR and I think most of the crowd will be with Gael, at least I hope...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #262
country flag The Freak

The Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, semis of Roland Garros is a great result and hopefully he will build off that and stay injury free!
Didn't get too see it, but it looks like Gael fought hard, and made Roger sweat.
Keep your head up Gael!

Tim Henman--Gael Monfils--James Blake--Rafael Nadal--Jo-Wilfried Tsonga--John Isner--Janko Tipsarevic--Juan Martin Del Potro--Donald Young--Richard Gasquet.

The Freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #263
country flag 2moretogo

Awww Gael !!! Way to really step up the plate and at times show some sublime tennis. In the end, I think he would play that 3 set all over again, but credit to Roger.

What an exciting match!!! I really hope he can build off of these results!!!

Don't wanna go into GM right now... some posters are so visceral. They type with such hate as if "said" player pissed on their cornflakes or something.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #264
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so proud of him.
The first set was terrible, but the problem with his eye was obviously bothering him a lot, he said in the interview his contact lense was broken and he saw everything blurred.
He fought so well after that, showed some really thrilling stuff at times. I loved his behaviour too during this tournament.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #265
country flag The Freak

The Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody know what his grass schedule is looking like?
He should take a SE into Queens then take the next week off before Wimbledon in my opinion.

Tim Henman--Gael Monfils--James Blake--Rafael Nadal--Jo-Wilfried Tsonga--John Isner--Janko Tipsarevic--Juan Martin Del Potro--Donald Young--Richard Gasquet.

The Freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #266
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

He was asked during the interview for the French TV and he answered he will take a few days off and then get ready for Nottingham.

And in L'Equipe today, they also say that he will probably change his schedule for the time after Wimbledon. He was supposed to play all the clay events because they thought he wouldn't qualify for the North-American AMS, but now he's sure to enter them, so he will rather try to get ready for the hardcourt events.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #267
country flag amdany

I'm for Gael but it was really good matchtoo bad he didn't convert his BPs because he wasn't very far from a 5th set...ah well, who would have thought that he'd be in the semis
Well done Gael!!! and good luck for the grass season
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #268
country flag Truc

The interview with Montfort was a bit of a heartbreak too, he was obviously very disappointed, poor boy, and felt there was room for more today (at least a 5th set for sure).
Montfort was trying to cheer him up and saying "But Gaël, you're ranked #59 in the world and only lost to the number 1 after a hell of a fight in a GS semi-final, you can not be disappointed!" Gaël: "But I don't care about rankings, that's not how I think." Montfort: "But you will win this tournament one day, Gaël!" Gaël: "I sure hope so, that's my ultimate goal!"
But he wasn't saying that in an arrogant way, really (at least not in my opinion), it was just cute. His attitude and his determination during the whole tournament were so great to see.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #269
country flag 2moretogo

Guess who was on the cover of the USA Today Newspaper? MONFILS!!! Didn't have any change to buy the paper, but it was very interesting to see a tennis player and especially a non-American tennis player on the cover. (Admittedly, it was only a small photo on the upper-left hand corner-- but still!!!)
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #270
country flag 2moretogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
The interview with Montfort was a bit of a heartbreak too, he was obviously very disappointed, poor boy, and felt there was room for more today (at least a 5th set for sure).
Montfort was trying to cheer him up and saying "But Gaël, you're ranked #59 in the world and only lost to the number 1 after a hell of a fight in a GS semi-final, you can not be disappointed!" Gaël: "But I don't care about rankings, that's not how I think." Montfort: "But you will win this tournament one day, Gaël!" Gaël: "I sure hope so, that's my ultimate goal!"
But he wasn't saying that in an arrogant way, really (at least not in my opinion), it was just cute. His attitude and his determination during the whole tournament were so great to see.
Awww Gael!!! So sad.