Am I Alone? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I Alone?

Hey every1. this is my first post so idk exactly what to do but.... i play second singles on my highschool team. I serve and overhead righthanded, but hit groundstrokes and vollies lefthanded. I was wondering if anyone else does this and do you think that it is an advantage or disadvantage? i feel like i am the only one in the world who does this.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I Alone?

Hi dunlopkickserve

It's not the same thing but when I took up tennis I'd spend half-an-hour 3 times a week hitting left-handed off a wall with the aim of being able to play with both hands. I metioned it to my coach and he told me that it was okay but that I was probably wasting my time so I stopped. But I've always wanted to be able to play with both hands - versatility is a great weapon on the court (although I must admit my backhand has developed better since).

If it's working for you then there's no reason to change it I guess, but you could put in some time on the court with the intention of trying out hitting groundstrokes and volleys with the right and just experiment. I know Moya is naturally left handed and plays with his right and Nadal the opposite, and I have seen Sharapova hit an occasional groundstroke left handed but I don't know of any one at pro or club level who plays how you do. But there's nothing wrong with being unique.

May I ask, out of interest, if you are right or left handed, and are you happy with your serve, overhead, volley and groundstrokes?
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

ur a weirdo
Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #4

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

I am naturaly left handed, but i am really uncordinated with my left hand over my head, so i just use my right hand. I am satisfied with my groundstrokes and vollies and my serve is one of the best in the conference, but my overheads just suck. I have to switch my racket to my right hand, change grips and move to the ball all at the same time in order hit the ball. Then if the ball doesn't bounce high enough, i kinda have to push the ball over the net with my right hand. Idk if it really even qualifies as a stroke. Im working on a lefty overhead right now but its still really feeble and my schools season starts in 2 weeks. So i guess i'll keep u updated
Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute

Its an interesting development. Out of interest, what style do you play and how much do you torque up your shots?
sheeter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
country flag Jackie Stephens

Jackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond repute

Very weird playing style.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Very weird stuff. Not good since you have to keep changing the racket in your hand and in some situations you won't have this time.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Very, very weird.

Smart players can find a way to beat you by exposing your weakness of changing racquet hands.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
country flag JM-Del-Potro

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
Hi dunlopkickserve

It's not the same thing but when I took up tennis I'd spend half-an-hour 3 times a week hitting left-handed off a wall with the aim of being able to play with both hands. I metioned it to my coach and he told me that it was okay but that I was probably wasting my time so I stopped. But I've always wanted to be able to play with both hands - versatility is a great weapon on the court (although I must admit my backhand has developed better since).

If it's working for you then there's no reason to change it I guess, but you could put in some time on the court with the intention of trying out hitting groundstrokes and volleys with the right and just experiment. I know Moya is naturally left handed and plays with his right and Nadal the opposite, and I have seen Sharapova hit an occasional groundstroke left handed but I don't know of any one at pro or club level who plays how you do. But there's nothing wrong with being unique.

May I ask, out of interest, if you are right or left handed, and are you happy with your serve, overhead, volley and groundstrokes?
This is very great! I also thought on this,but I don't have the time to do it...I think it's a great idea because you can confuse your opponent...maybe before the start of the match you decide to play with the right or the left hand...it's a beautiful thing,I like it!

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
JM-Del-Potro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
country flag Jackie Stephens

Jackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it could help then....
Jackie Stephens is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeter View Post
Its an interesting development. Out of interest, what style do you play and how much do you torque up your shots?
I am a hardcore topspin player with a kickserve. 2nd hardest hitter on the team but weakest overhead of all the singles players. No one has tried to just block my serve back to mess me up when i switch hands and it only takes half a second so its no big deal.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
country flag BgStallion

BgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond repute

Heh - wasn't Luke Jensen ambidexterous?
But you'll probably have some trouble serve and volleying.
Singles: ...
Vamos Juan Carlos ! Allez Fabrice !
Ferrero-tard #2

"First to the net, first to the pub"
Patrick Rafter
BgStallion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #13
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Hey every1. this is my first post so idk exactly what to do but.... i play second singles on my highschool team. I serve and overhead righthanded, but hit groundstrokes and vollies lefthanded. I was wondering if anyone else does this and do you think that it is an advantage or disadvantage? i feel like i am the only one in the world who does this.
Actually, your not alone...I hit with a player that does this. It may throw your opponents off, but there really is no weakness or advantages to it the switch. Just make sure you get that racquet in the other hand after you serve!

Im a lefty too....we have an advantage there

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
country flag FootWork

FootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond repute

i actually went out and found a lefty with a kickserve and i paid him to play me just so i could get used to it. now i would rather play someone left handed than right (i'm right handed)
FootWork is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote