Article : Portrait of Miloslav Mecir: The Big Cat (Clips Added) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #46
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article : Portrait of Miloslav Mecir: The Big Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
i am mates with a massive talent... i dont believe the guy needs a coach... cos, he is a natural... just needs direction to find what sort of play he finds appealing...

i sent him links to the USO mecir VS wilander match... my friend is 22, but, couldn't believe was he was seeing... he couldnt understand why he saw himself as a young scholar of the game, yet miss ever hearing about such a game...

of note PMK, on the 2nd vid... is the backhand return down the line... 4:15...

i look at this shot and think: you could only ever hope that such hands would find a racquet in them... pure instinct...

when points are quick mate... you can only wish for them to look this way...
There are lots of things and information around, that hasn't been truly accessed, at the same time most people only want to know about the very top and don't look a bit deeper. Mecir and Mats were overlooked, but for different reasons.

Yes, the pace of the game was slower, but very technical and the use of angles, then sneaking into the net to finish the points off. I actually have that particular match in full and Wilander was lucky to win it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Unfortunately, I have never gotten to see those matches, only knew of the results. That must've been some kind of clinic he put on.
I saw it in Sweden, that was when Swedish TV always had tennis and when Eurosport actually did mens events.

Mecir made the ball talk, it was slow and heavy clay, just absorbed Wilander's shots and just kept him off balance. Well when a guy who moved as well as Mats says "this guy made me feel like I'm on ice skates".

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #47
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
There are lots of things and information around, that hasn't been truly accessed, at the same time most people only want to know about the very top and don't look a bit deeper. Mecir and Mats were overlooked, but for different reasons.
its funny you know... this bugs me pretty hard... i fully agree that mecir's game was the anti-venom to lendl's poison... such a simple diffusion... but... the brutal dominance of lendl throughout the 80's kind of set the blueprint for success... (martina also to an extent) ... yet, what bugs me, and will forever amaze me, that the anti-blueprint actually hailed from the same czechoslovak region... (morava - lendl is actually the closest part of czech to svk)... hence my fascination with the place...

and... as you say... people do not tend to scratch the surface... and instead of nuturing and encouraging true geniality to the top (mecir), its actually easier to put in the years to bang out a mechanically relaible shot in a brutal, tradesman like fashion (lendl).... but is it really easier... or has something just been fully overlooked...?

history says its what worked / dominated...

history chooses not to remember an operation which had a 1% liklihood of failure...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #48
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

I really have enjoyed watching clips of Mecir's matches, both those included in this particular thread, as well as those on youtube -- however scarce they may be.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #49
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Once I get the whole uploading from DVD on youtube, then I will see what I can put up on there, when it comes to Mecir.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #50
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
its funny you know... this bugs me pretty hard... i fully agree that mecir's game was the anti-venom to lendl's poison... such a simple diffusion... but... the brutal dominance of lendl throughout the 80's kind of set the blueprint for success... (martina also to an extent) ... yet, what bugs me, and will forever amaze me, that the anti-blueprint actually hailed from the same czechoslovak region... (morava - lendl is actually the closest part of czech to svk)... hence my fascination with the place...

and... as you say... people do not tend to scratch the surface... and instead of nuturing and encouraging true geniality to the top (mecir), its actually easier to put in the years to bang out a mechanically relaible shot in a brutal, tradesman like fashion (lendl).... but is it really easier... or has something just been fully overlooked...?

history says its what worked / dominated...

history chooses not to remember an operation which had a 1% liklihood of failure...
Well, Lendl wasn't the most gifted, but he knew what he needed to do, to achieve success and yes he is the father of the modern game, whether people like it or not. Lendl is from Ostrava, so he is actually closer to Poland.

Both of them have their place in the history of the game, but for different reasons. I mean look at their respective outlooks and it says it all. Lendl was very driven, ruthlessly efficient, and not as naturally talented, but he made up for it.

Mecir was a very different individual, danced to his own tune, loved fishing and being in nature, like the interviews he didn't like the big cities like New York.

At the Aus Open, he never stayed in a hotel, he stayed with a very kind and likable Slovak family in Melbourne, who I have met many times. How many top 10 players would stay with a local family.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #51
country flag boughtmypoints

boughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond repute

GW,

As you probably know Mecir was my favourite player to watch from the last 40 years.

I found the best vantage point to watch him was behind the service line; he would have me in hysterics as he played with the ball (and his befuddled opponent).

I also saw him at his nadir, 4 tournaments from the end at IW 1990. I had always thought he cynically did a final year on the tour just to pick up first round prize money cheques, as was common with the east europeans. But in looking back at his record, he actually showed a lot of integrity when exiting the tour, playing just a handful of tournaments after his back gave out.
boughtmypoints is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #52
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

It was great watching him play, he was languid and had a very low centre of gravity for a tall guy, then he did have a long trunk and short legs.

His facial expressions were always the same, when he was winning or losing, but when he was losing, it looked like he didn't care.

Glad, he went out as well as he could, given the circumstances.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #53
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Nalbandian is like the closest out of all the current players but he is less graceful and deceptive.

People love wankfests about retired players, and many people think saying past things were better than current ones makes you look smart, I was not interested in tennis when Mecir was at his peak, but having seen footage of him I don´t think Mecir can match the talent Nalbandian has, sorry
Deivid23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #54
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivid23 View Post
People love wankfests about retired players, and many people think saying past things were better than current ones makes you look smart, I was not interested in tennis when Mecir was at his peak, but having seen footage of him I don´t think Mecir can match the talent Nalbandian has, sorry
Which people would that be? It's not a question of looking smart, it's a totally different game now, back to when it was then. Mecir never got coached, whereas Nalbandian did, one learnt to play with wood and was the last player to play with a wooden racquet, the other hasn't. There are too many differences.

The difference from top to the overall level was much greater then than now, but the level at the top (Federer and Nadal ) are exceptions is lower than at that time, they'd do well in any era, like any of the greats would.

Just look football it was a lot slower then, than it is now, the differences in levels between have shrunk in time. It just means it's a different game, whether it's better or not, is dependant on the viewpoint.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #55
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which people would that be? It's not a question of looking smart, it's a totally different game now, back to when it was then. Mecir never got coached, whereas Nalbandian did, one learnt to play with wood and was the last player to play with a wooden racquet, the other hasn't. There are too many differences.
If there are so many differences why saying Mecir was the greatest player ever not to have won a GS? Or why should we take for granted Murray won´t ever be as good as Mecir when he´s just turned 21?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #56
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Sexy legs

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #57
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
If there are so many differences why saying Mecir was the greatest player ever not to have won a GS? Or why should we take for granted Murray won´t ever be as good as Mecir when he´s just turned 21?
Mecir made 2 GS finals and made the semis at the other 2 Slams, therefore one of the few players to get to the semis of all Slams at least once, yet not win one. Facts are when he was playing Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, McEnroe up to 85 where the big guns then, all of them great players at the same time. He had a 4 year window before the back problems set in. He had the game, the ability, but not the mental strength.

When Murray does that, then you will have a case.

If you can't see the game has the changed, then you are just having a laugh. The difference in court surface speed has shrunk, the composition of the balls are different, lighter balls for clay, heavier for grass, the game is more physical than before, technological advances have impacted and changed the way it's played, this is very clear.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #58
country flag Deivid23

Quote:
Mecir made 2 GS finals and made the semis at the other 2 Slams, therefore one of the few players to get to the semis of all Slams at least once, yet not win one. Facts are when he was playing Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, McEnroe up to 85 where the big guns then, all of them great players at the same time. He had a 4 year window before the back problems set in. He had the game, the ability, but not the mental strength.
Nalbandian has had a lot of injuries during his career as well, probably helped by him being too careless about his profession. Even with that he has made semis in all 4 Slams as well, just one final in Wimbledon but he had very good chances to reach the finals in every Grand Slam (for instance how close he was against Roddick in USO or Baghdatis in AO and the back problem that hampered him while schooling Federer in that SF at RG). Mecir faced a bigger group of the best players in history but if I´m not wrong Federer has also kicked David out in several QF´s at GS, thing which also should be considered when making a recap of his weight in tennis history. I´m completely sure after a few years he has retired he will be considered by many people the most talented player ever not to win a Slam, it´s just too soon for many of them to recognize it.

Quote:
When Murray does that, then you will have a case. .
By the way you talk about Murray, looks like he will be lucky to reach a Slam final. I prefer to be more cautelous about the chances of a terribly gifted player at the age of 21 (not even considering the injury layoffs he´s faced so far). I´m convinced he will get big results (Slams included) and I find funny to scratch his chances or underrate his potential like this.

Quote:
If you can't see the game has the changed, then you are just having a laugh. The difference in court surface speed has shrunk, the composition of the balls are different, lighter balls for clay, heavier for grass, the game is more physical than before, technological advances have impacted and changed the way it's played, this is very clear.

I have not talked one thing about that, it´s pretty obvious, so I can´t see your point going again through this
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #59
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One main difference between Mecir and Nalbandian IMO is that Nalbandian at his peak is mentally stronger and has the mind to win a GS than Mecir.

Talent is subjective, so I don't really care.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #60
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Pleasure Players: Stylists We Love

By Raymond Lee and Stavo Craft
Monday, July 28, 2008

It began, as so many ideas do, during a discussion with friends. At a time when much of the debate among tennis fans on courts and in chat rooms around the world centers around "Who is the best player?" we began to reflect on our favorites who exuded a pleasure for playing.
As the game goes on there's often a tendency to proclaim the latest champions as the greatest players, but what about the players who have reserved a special place in the minds of life-long tennis fans for their style, grace and mesmerizing skills?
Tennis history is filled with standouts and stylists who have either been underrated or overlooked by fans who follow the sport today. These are players ranging from former champions who may have been overshadowed by more accomplished rivals, competitors whose careers were cut short due to injury or those who simply slipped through the cracks of public consciousness playing in an era when there was scarce coverage of the sport.
Here are three of our all-time favorite players who are connected by their graceful style and gracious sportsmanship.
One of our favorite players of the recent past is the brilliant Czech Miloslav Mecir, the 1986 U.S. Open finalist. Very rarely have we seen a player with a great combination of skills and smoothness. Mecir had such wonderful footwork and speed. He seemed to cover the court in just a few steps where he could make use of his remarkable groundstrokes. Because he was able to get to reach the ball so early he had the ability to wait a fraction of a second and disguise his shots.
Mecir had amazing touch and the ability to change pace in a way rarely seen before or since. To quote Herbert Warren Wind, writing for The New Yorker, in the late 1980s: "He plays points differently than anyone else today. He is like no one I’ve ever seen when changing pace. He really knows how to change pace on an opponent’s serve and his serve, which is something else I haven’t seen. He can also play pretty hard-hitting tennis. You really have to be hitting as well as Lendl did in that U.S. Open final to beat him because Mecir is out there thinking all the time."
Mecir, like Andre Agassi a bit later, often stood on top of the baseline and took the ball on the rise and also like Agassi he had perhaps the best return in the game. Unlike Agassi he seemed so often to be able to hit one shot and turn a rally in which he was on the defensive into a rally in which he was in control. Mecir had an excellent volley and his approach shots were very controlled and hard to read because of his short backswing. One of his few vulnerabilities was that his second serve could have been a bit better to take advantage of his 6-foot-3 height. It wasn’t a bad serve by any means, but it could have been used more effectively to get some a few additional free points.
I’ve basically given all of you a brief description of Mecir’s style of play but I can’t adequately describe to you the how truly mesmerizing he was. At his best, Mecir was such a smooth operator, it was sometimes difficult to watch his oppponent because Mecir commanded your attention on court.
I remember one rally that he was in involved in with Boris Becker in which Becker hit what I thought was a winning volley. Mecir seemed light years away from the ball, but all of a sudden he was there with time to spare and hit the ball sharply crosscourt passed a stunned Becker. I couldn’t believe it and I don’t think Becker did either!
At the risk of sounding like someone quoting Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid I thought to myself, "Who is this guy? How can anyone do this to Boris Becker?" At this point he immediately became one of my favorites. I enjoyed his unique play in so many matches over the next few years but unfortunately due to a back problem he was unable to continue what I thought would be a Hall of Fame career. Because of his premature retirement from the tennis scene, I felt robbed that I couldn’t enjoy his play anymore.
You always wonder what might have been and while he has continued a career in tennis as a Davis Cup captain for the Slovak Republic, I will always remember him as one of the best-moving big men I've seen.

Source: http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fulls...newsid=6614829
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote