Article : Portrait of Miloslav Mecir: The Big Cat (Clips Added) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article : Portrait of Miloslav Mecir: The Big Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
I didn't follow tennis as closely as I do now when Mecir was at his best so I don't know as much about the people (only about the tennis, mostly slam performances) but for sure Mecir always struck a chord with his relaxed manner. To be like that on court you realised he enjoyed the game and cared but at the same time if he never was good at tennis he would've had another life and been fine whereas with a lot of players you really feel tennis is what they've got and not much else.
Well, there is a reference in this thread as to how his parents raised him when he had a dig at Agassi. This is the thing, when he played well, it was great to watch, but when he was off, it looked like he wasn't trying, but the facial expressions were the same.

In the Lendl match at Miami, he took the piss out of Lendl on court, it was so funny and dry.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #32
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Well, there is a reference in this thread as to how his parents raised him when he had a dig at Agassi. This is the thing, when he played well, it was great to watch, but when he was off, it looked like he wasn't trying, but the facial expressions were the same.

In the Lendl match at Miami, he took the piss out of Lendl on court, it was so funny and dry.
Well, to a certain extent he could be compared to Kolya in the modern game. At least the facial experessions Nikolay makes remind me of the way Mecir held himself on court.

In terms of talent I think I would compare Mecir to Nalbandian but the Slovak more consistent by far and because of that ended up achieving more than Nalbandian is likely to do so. Obviously, the games they play are not similar, just the level relative to the other players of the day.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Mecir, I really don't think can be compared to anyone playing the game now. The closest one would have been his protege Kucera.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #34
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mecir, I really don't think can be compared to anyone playing the game now. The closest one would have been his protege Kucera.
Well one of the reasons he was so well liked and still is today is the unique way his game worked.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #35
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the closest to Mecir was Kucera, the way they moved around the court gracefully and fast and how they both used their heads to out think their opponents. Both had great temperament but also both struggled with pressure at times and injuries limited their potential success.

Nalbandian is like the closest out of all the current players but he is less graceful and deceptive.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Well one of the reasons he was so well liked and still is today is the unique way his game worked.
It's good some people, do appreciate the difference and too bad Milo got nervous and the back problems, but I still remember he was the last man to use a wooden racquet.

I bumped up another thread as well, with some good articles, a welcome change from the drivel at the moment.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Here is the legend at the Prostejov Challenger.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #38
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
Right, but people hailing from Czechoslovakia where often referred to as Czechs before the country was split into two countries.
yes thats true... pre '89...

he is slovak but his surname is actually czech.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #39
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here is the legend at the Prostejov Challenger.

the big cat is a true fukn hero of the game... an oasis of brilliance in the sea of new power...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #40
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
the big cat is a true fukn hero of the game... an oasis of brilliance in the sea of new power...
The perfect description, the antithesis of Lendl, though both had a very sharp sense of humour.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #41
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

The Big Cat...what a talent. The way he could hold the ball on his BH side was simply incredible, a pure, pure talent. Four matches stick out in my mind:

1. His 1986 SF against Becker. Shotmaking galore all over the place, late into the night.

2. His collapse against Edberg at Wimbledon. Absolutely schooling the eventual champ with effortless ease and then the collapse.

3. His Miami win over Lendl. Incredibly played, especially the BH as he was holding the ball with it all match long and Lendl didn't know if he was going DTL or CC.

4. The 1986 USO Final against Lendl. He was tired from battling Becker and after the first few games, he knew it was a hopeless case trying to beat Lendl.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #42
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Mecir's best matches were in the 1985 Hamburg and Rome, where he made Wilander look like an imbecilic kid.

Wilander even when his motivation was down, he never got thrashed like this on clay.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #43
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mecir's best matches were in the 1985 Hamburg and Rome, where he made Wilander look like an imbecilic kid.

Wilander even when his motivation was down, he never got thrashed like this on clay.
Mecir looks in good shape.

How about Mecir's match against Wilander in the 1988 Wimbledon QF?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #44
country flag fast_clay

Quote:

i am mates with a massive talent... i dont believe the guy needs a coach... cos, he is a natural... just needs direction to find what sort of play he finds appealing...

i sent him links to the USO mecir VS wilander match... my friend is 22, but, couldn't believe was he was seeing... he couldnt understand why he saw himself as a young scholar of the game, yet miss ever hearing about such a game...

of note PMK, on the 2nd vid... is the backhand return down the line... 4:15...

i look at this shot and think: you could only ever hope that such hands would find a racquet in them... pure instinct...

when points are quick mate... you can only wish for them to look this way...
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #45
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have never gotten to see those matches, only knew of the results. That must've been some kind of clinic he put on.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote