Art lovers enter ! - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #31
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Art lovers enter !

I love the one Jess posted too.

Gustave Courbet (self portrait)

Ingres (La Grande Odalisque)

Ingres (Le bain turc)

I also like the room with those huge paintings in Le Louvre:

Géricault (Le Radeau de la Méduse)

Delacroix (La Liberté guidant le Peuple)

And one of my fav things to do when I visit a museum that has antic sculptures is to look for sculptures of Antinous. I always spot him at first glance.

Some of the ones I've seen so far:

Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #32
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Wow sculpture There is something so inherently romantic about making beautiful creations out of stone Nice paintings too Saumon.

Claire, we had talked about temple architecture in India. I found a good link with some good pics

http://www.indianetzone.com/sculpture/
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #33
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Some more sculptures I like:

Bernini's Apollo and Daphne (can't find a pic that does it justice )

Bernini's **** of Proserpina.

It looks like they are moving.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #34
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justClaudia View Post
this thread, thanks for starting it.
You're welcome, I'm glad people are posting in it, I was afraid it was gonna fall to page2 unnoticed (my lobbying must have worked )
Quote:
I'll post some of my favorites:

Las Meninas by Velázquez
never particulary like this one, but I spend a good hour staring at it in the Prado Museum in Madrid last year.
Quite intriguing.
I know what you mean, for once I'd like to know what painting, they're all staring at, and had the guy walking off, turning back to look at it some more
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
Some more paintings from my home country
Thanks Hema, very different styles those paintings, I think I like the last one best. But I'm disappointed, no Ajanta paintings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
A remarkably modern painting by Goya (1746-1828) which has always disturbed me...

Saturn Devouring His Son
To keep in the tone : Rembrandt's Carcass of Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91 View Post

This is probably one of my favorites, by Botticelli
Boticelli
You'll probably like this one too : the birth of Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
When I went to Italy, they were working on the David statue so it was not available for the public. I love sculptures (Rodin is a master as well) so I'd love to see it one day.
That sucks
if you love Rodin you should go to the Rodin museum next time you come to Paris, all his most famous sculptures are there, the thinker, the kiss, and one of his gates of hell. They're all exposed in a garden too, it's great to visit (when it's not raining that is )

Quote:
Pieter Brueghel, the Elder
The Tower of Babel (1563)
I'm usually not a fan of the flemish renaissance but Bruegel is the exception
I also love the fall of Icarus

Quote:
The crazy world of Hieronymus Bosch
Triptych: The Garden of Earthly Delights (1503 - 1504)

...and when that triptych is shut, you get this painting on the shutters:
Bosch was crazy, but the good kind of crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
Gustave Courbet (self portrait)
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I love that painting, there's an incredible intensity surrounding it. You almost feel like he's gonna snap any second now and yell or break something.
Quote:
I also like the room with those huge paintings in Le Louvre:
Géricault (Le Radeau de la Méduse)

Delacroix (La Liberté guidant le Peuple)
All the rooms have huge paintings in the Louvres, you mst like the wedding at Cana too then
Géricault's a classic.
I like delacroix's for the way the light seems to to follow the flag while Marianne is surrounded by darkness.
Quote:
And one of my fav things to do when I visit a museum that has antic sculptures is to look for sculptures of Antinous. I always spot him at first glance.
he was gay
It's great to have that kind of traditions, I looked at the URL of your pics you seem to have traveled a lot too
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #35
country flag Saumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
he was gay
It's great to have that kind of traditions, I looked at the URL of your pics you seem to have traveled a lot too
I know that. Well he was emperor Hadrian's buttboy and died tragically. Hadrian was so sad he made him a God. That's why there are so many statues of him.
I've been to Rome, Naples and on a tour all around Greece.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
^^ Wow sculpture There is something so inherently romantic about making beautiful creations out of stone
Couldn't agree more That's why I love Michelangelo's or Rodin's non-finito (even when they're not intentional)It feels like the creations are just trapped in the stones waiting for artists to come along. I remember a great quote by Michelangelo about that I'm gonna go look for it.
Quote:
Claire, we had talked about temple architecture in India. I found a good link with some good pics
http://www.indianetzone.com/sculpture/
Thanks Hema, I'm looking at it right now
Quote:

Bernini's ability to create that impression of mouvement is nearly unparalleled, I'm still sad I didn't get to go to the galleria Borghese last time I went to Rome .
What amazed me though was his St. Peter's baldacchino.
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #37
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks Hema, very different styles those paintings, I think I like the last one best. But I'm disappointed, no Ajanta paintings
As a said before, this is a dormant passion, not an active one but it is becoming more and more active of late. What I am surprised with is, I liked the last one best too of the ones I posted. I wonder if there is some kind of absolute in these sort of things.

Reg Ajanta, I didn't get around to it yet. With your thread, I am now actively searching the internet for all kinds of sculptures, paintings both Indian and Western I made a folder on my computer one for each. Will slowly gather and post over here. Like Kitty said I don't want to bore people too much all at once

Edit: Wow that last one you posted is simply stunning
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #38
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

freesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Bernini's work is brilliant.

The Tipsy Chat Thread
Nando's Chicas' and Chico Milan's Chat World
Je suis une Chardette spreading the Cute in the Lovely Thread
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
u shouldnt like people based on hotness
you need to be more like me
freesbee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #39
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

freesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond repute

René Magritte's paintings have always intrigued me:

Les Amants:

La Memoire:

The Tipsy Chat Thread
Nando's Chicas' and Chico Milan's Chat World
Je suis une Chardette spreading the Cute in the Lovely Thread
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
u shouldnt like people based on hotness
you need to be more like me
freesbee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #40
country flag Betty

Betty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

exception
:
claire wonderful thread i love the birth pf venus..for us is la Pimavera di botticelli i lost a lot of time in front of this big opera when i saw it

Casta the David statue is wonderful
2011=w/Corey F.:Auckland SF -Zagreb F -Wimbledon QF w/Dupuis2006 Nottingham W- w/acionescu Atlanta F
2010=w/Corey F. -Auckland F - w/Boarder35mNewport F -Tokyo F - w/acionescu Manerbio ch F-
2009 : (w/Corey F.) Washington W - Cordoba / Pozoblanco W - (w/Boarder35m)-Bordeaux W
TT Single 2012 O.G. SF Dubai W -Atlanta W Casablanca F 2011 Rabat , Metz F-Los Angeles W;2009 Todi ; Bergamo W -Wimbledon F -Karlsruhe F -Estoril SF;2008 = Tunica R., A.Seville SF

FORZA INTER
Betty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #41
country flag Betty

Betty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond repute

2011=w/Corey F.:Auckland SF -Zagreb F -Wimbledon QF w/Dupuis2006 Nottingham W- w/acionescu Atlanta F
2010=w/Corey F. -Auckland F - w/Boarder35mNewport F -Tokyo F - w/acionescu Manerbio ch F-
2009 : (w/Corey F.) Washington W - Cordoba / Pozoblanco W - (w/Boarder35m)-Bordeaux W
TT Single 2012 O.G. SF Dubai W -Atlanta W Casablanca F 2011 Rabat , Metz F-Los Angeles W;2009 Todi ; Bergamo W -Wimbledon F -Karlsruhe F -Estoril SF;2008 = Tunica R., A.Seville SF

FORZA INTER
Betty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #42
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #43
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Many traditional Chinese paintings include poetry and calligraphy

Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #44
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Boticelli

That sucks
if you love Rodin you should go to the Rodin museum next time you come to Paris, all his most famous sculptures are there, the thinker, the kiss, and one of his gates of hell. They're all exposed in a garden too, it's great to visit (when it's not raining that is )
Botticelli I have a huge soft spot for Raphael too. I was never really into art until I took one art history class and then I was in love

I looooooooooove the Rodin museum I went on the most beautiful day in early summer when all the roses were blooming. I have awesome pictures from there It's my favorite place in Paris I think, if you go on a nice day it's soooo nice

I will post my Rodin museum pics when I get home from work

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #45
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Thanks for posting these. Always great to see how art differs from place to place. If you could post more ancient Chinese paintings that would be great