Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #46
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
No, you aren't getting it. You are like, lets jump on the Asian bandwagon and give them a Slam, because they have money.

What's the point of having a massive venue, if the ticket prices aren't affordable to local people? There is only so much that can be made from TV rights without people watching in the stadium.
100% true. if there will be another slam it will be placed in europe
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvvi View Post
Ofcourse, even the title that Sam Querrey won recently was in front of a small crowd. Mostly were his 'Samurai' group.
That proves what exactly?

Asia has challengers in Japan, Korea, Doha, Malaysia, Iran, India, they have a few ATP events. A TMS coming up and the TMC as well.

They aren't doing that badly.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #48
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
exactly. the next big market is in Asia. perhaps Malaysia. only time will tell.

who wants to burn in the damn desert in Dubai anyway? there is just no market there but there is a huge market in the Asia just waiting to be tapped.

i say within 5 years you will see a monster venue out of Asia.
Dubai has a lot of things going for it and many of the players liking going there. I wonder what the reason is for that.

It's not that hot when they play the event, funny they time it for better climatic conditions.

Malaysia had an ATP IS event and it's defunct. It didn't last very long at all.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #49
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

I only hope that there are more events in India or atleast top players turn up to play in India a little more often. Can't blame them because they have to play throughout the year. Last year, Gasquet won in Mumbai. So happy that Gasquet decided to play in India, but I think he won't be going back.

I am travelling to Europe next month and will make it a point to understand the culture that makes tennis tick in Europe. I don't know about Malaysia, but India is where I like to see my GrandSlam.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #50

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Football and tennis are totally different markets and what works in one doesn't work in another sport essentially.
i think the only diference is in the current level of popularity with the mainstream sports fan.

many people in serbia considered tennis boring before Djokovic was glorified in the media.

today u could say tennis is the no1. most popular sport in serbia.

and we know its popular in asia already... japan & china at least.

so its not rly different

to make it simple : we went from -> nobody used to watch tennis in serbia -> everybody watches tennis in serbia
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #51
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
i think the only diference is in the current level of popularity with the mainstream sports fan.

many people in serbia considered tennis boring before Djokovic was glorified in the media.

so its not rly different
See, what Djokovic did by winning the Aus Open, is what Borg did for Swedish tennis and Becker did for German tennis. The kids wanted to be like them and they wanted to play the game, which goes back to my point about the bandwagon effect. Those 2 nations had a big boom and big results for a while.

Now the level of depth isn't there, therefore as less success, it gets less coverage. The same will happen in Serbia, these things are cyclical, yet predictable.

Tennis isn't that popular in Japan, well not compared to football, baseball or Manga comics. Table tennis is king in China as well.

If it was that popular then there would be some more players coming through and good results from local players drives up interest.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #52
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

so its not rly different

to make it simple : we went from -> nobody used to watch tennis in serbia -> everybody watches tennis in serbia
Quite right. I can say the same about India. Although we don't have any male superstar, we have one in the WTA ranked in the 30s. And that girl is already a multi millionaire though she is just 21. I am sure that girl is richer than most of the top mens players. And now so many people watch tennis in India just for her.

I know that a male tennis player is long overdue for India. May be in another 20 years, we'll have one to gloat about. For now, I am happy with Richard Gasquet and consider him as a fellow Indian.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #53
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dubai has a lot of things going for it and many of the players liking going there. I wonder what the reason is for that.

It's not that hot when they play the event, funny they time it for better climatic conditions.

Malaysia had an ATP IS event and it's defunct. It didn't last very long at all.

what i am saying is not new as i have suggested. in fact, i cant even take credit for it. the french and the english have been talking about this for a few years now and hence their decision to finally put some roofs over their show courts. tele revenues have been drying up here in the west. mercedes has dropped its sponsorship for instance in favor of golf and equestrianship. espn has no use for tennis. tele revenues and viewership were down significantly at the last u.s. open and that is still another example. i could go on and on.

the french and the english are at the forefront of this thought. they believe it is only a matter of time before some newer, bigger markets are created in Asia with far more desirable venues.

i am not jumping on any bandwagon. i am the one who started this thread. i also believe its going to happen.

Last edited by Clay Death : 03-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Tennis isn't that popular in Japan, well not compared to football, baseball or Manga comics. Table tennis is king in China as well.

If it was that popular then there would be some more players coming through and good results from local players drives up interest.
thats why i predict tennis will still expand in europe for a while before hitting asia ...

remember how the football WC was held in korea & japan ? brazil cant finance it(as much as they'd like, and we for that matter) so that's the logical step...

same thing is happening to tennis

Last edited by finishingmove : 03-12-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #55

bottom line : the game DOES NOT NEED another slam; slam IS DUE when the crowd apetites grow.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #56
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
thats why i predict tennis will still expand in europe for a while before hitting asia ...

remember how the football WC was held in korea & japan ? brazil cant finance it(as much as they'd like, and we for that matter) so that's the logical step...

same thing is happening to tennis
Well Korea and Japan actually had some football history before the World Cup was awarded to them. Hosting the World Cup is not the same as a GS event, one is a one-off event and the other an annual, clear difference.

Their players have developed and got better by playing outside of their countries and learning skills they lacked and incorporating them into the qualities they possess. Funny that might even work in a tennis sense.

It was not that big of a deal holding in those countries, as they were capable of doing it, but it was beneficial for all.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #57
country flag Lucinda

Lucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond repute

The more you have of something, the less special it becomes. The more grand slams floating about means they are worth less - to the players AND the fans.
Lucinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #58
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
what i am saying is not new as i have suggested. in fact, i cant even take credit for it. the french and the english have been talking about this for a few years now and hence their decision to finally put some roofs over their show courts. tele revenues have been drying up here in the west. mercedes has dropped its sponsorship for instance in favor of golf and equestrianship. espn has no use for tennis. tele revenues and viewership were down significantly at the last u.s. open and that is still another example. i could go on and on.
No, the Slam organisations know that they can't rest and have to develop their infrastructure within the confines of the venue. Hence the Australian has to expand again as well.

The US is not the world when it comes to tennis. Overall viewing figures are up elsewhere, all Slams have had record attendances.

Mercedes has nothing to do with the Slams, their problem was with de Villiers and he has nothing to do with the ITF.

Quote:
the french and the english are at the forefront of this thought. they believe it is only a matter of time before some newer, bigger markets are created in Asia with far more desirable venues.

i am not jumping on any bandwagon. i am the one who started this thread. i also believe its going to happen.
You are jumping on the bandwagon to suggest that there should be another GS event. So you think winning a Slam should be cheapened?

Golf is expanding and how many majors are there? That's right 4.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #59
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i appreciate that the current slams are each held in a place or respective country that have spawned legendary tennis players.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #60
country flag tripb19

tripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond reputetripb19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
some people say the AO is a micky mouse slam.
No, one retard does and he's not allowed access to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my0118
Watch your hero getting schooled by Nalbandian like this pansy again.
At least this pansy took 6 games from Nalby whilst your hero took 3 games in Madrid.
Oct/Nov 2007: There was a time in history when the quality of a tennis player was determined by how many games he won off David Nalbandian.
tripb19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote