Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #31
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvvi View Post
I don't know about the politics of Europe. Do you think the Swedes and Asians are equal in Europe? Europe as a region has two grand Slams and Swedes can get wildcard into tournaments. Next thing you'll say Serbia doesn't have a grandslam and all such bullshit.
Well considering that France, England, Australia and the US were the top major nations that played and built up the game of tennis, it's not hard to see why they have the GS events.

As for the Swedes, lets see an Asian do what Bjorn Borg did for tennis on a global scale, he was the one who paved the way and made it easier for players from the non-tennis country backgrounds and turned into the international sport that it is currently. A Swiss and a Serb among the top 3, that would have been laughed at in the 70s.

Quote:
Do Asians get wildcards? Its not as simple as you portray about Asian players needing to get better. Tennis is a simple game, not some rocket science. People need experience at bigger tournaments to get better. I am not completely ruling out the possibility that asian tennis players mostly suck, but that it may be partly due to the lack of tournaments there.
Tell me why Asians deserve special treatment? You have nothing, but tokenism to justify it.

Do the Argentines have plenty of tournaments. They have 1 ATP main level and 1 challenger, they got no help from their federation. How about the players do what a lot of the ones from around the world do, get a sponsor, if not go to the US and play tennis at uni if they are good enough.

Grind away on the Futures, get enough points to make it through the Challengers. If they are good enough, then they will make it on the tour, this is specific for players who aren't from powerful countries who can't get a free ride on WCs.

Quote:
And having a break away league doesn't mean they can't play in ATP, unless ATP tries protectionist tactics to have the Asian pie and not give them anything meaningful.

You need to get your head out of your arse and stop smelling your own farts
I love the sound of tokenism. Does this mean that Phil Simmonds and Scoville Jenkins should get WCs into more events because they are black, as there aren't enough black players in the top level.

This is basically what you are saying.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #32
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

For all I know, Asian market in tennis is significant (even if its only because of Federer and Nadal). If they do come up with a breakaway league, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Japanese and..... will have tough competition between them and they don't have to play qualifiers of mm tournaments in Europe to get their ranking in ATP.

And if the interest for the league grows, ATP is bound to lose their viewership. I'd like to see that happen. Will teach the snooty officials a lesson.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #33
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know about the politics of Europe. Do you think the Swedes and Asians are equal in Europe? Europe as a region has two grand Slams and Swedes can get wildcard into tournaments. Next thing you'll say Serbia doesn't have a grandslam and all such bullshit.

Do Asians get wildcards? Its not as simple as you portray about Asian players needing to get better. Tennis is a simple game, not some rocket science. People need experience at bigger tournaments to get better. I am not completely ruling out the possibility that asian tennis players mostly suck, but that it may be partly due to the lack of tournaments there.

And having a break away league doesn't mean they can't play in ATP, unless ATP tries protectionist tactics to have the Asian pie and not give them anything meaningful.

You need to get your head out of your arse and stop smelling your own farts.

its not really about the players in asia. its about the huge market. if the market can support it and looks like it is easily going to be able to, its going to happen.

even the French Open officials--with all the tradition in the world----worried about maintaining relevance a while back. they concluded that a couple of retractable roofs were imperative or they were going tolose out to the asians with deep pockets and a major market to create a better and more viable venue.

now i dont see that happening but the French officials are certainly a little more informed than some of us and their worry was very real.

what is more likely to happen is some grand scale venue with a massive amount of prize money. it may not be a 5th slam but it will be close in terms of prestige. over time, it could have its own tradition going. it will be a slam foremat with both men and women. points, prize money, and most importantly, the right venue will make it worth their while to go and play.

imagine playing in front of 50,000 people instead of just 20,000 or less.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #34
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
well since ur all talking about tradition i wanna hear what u think about the AO switching surface multiple times...

and WHAT IF wimbledon switched to HC? would u stop watching tennis?
I don't watch Wimbledon anyway as for the Aus Open. If you actually read what I wrote about how they saved the event, then the answer is clear.

Here is your problem, you just think of change for the sake of change. What's the reason for a 5th Slam? There are too many events on the calendar as it is.

Football, when they banned the goalkeeper from picking up the backpass, great rule change for the game. Volleyball, changing the scoring system, so every point counted, instead of having to win it on serve. The game was a lot faster and better to watch.

The above examples of change that were thought out and worked for the better of the game.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #35
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
I don't watch Wimbledon anyway as for the Aus Open. If you actually read what I wrote about how they saved the event, then the answer is clear.

Here is your problem, you just think of change for the sake of change. What's the reason for a 5th Slam? There are too many events on the calendar as it is.

Football, when they banned the goalkeeper from picking up the backpass, great rule change for the game. Volleyball, changing the scoring system, so every point counted, instead of having to win it on serve. The game was a lot faster and better to watch.

The above examples of change that were thought out and worked for the better of the game.
there was a time when the Italian Open was called the 5th slam. it could be something like that. it does not actually have to be a 5th slam.

once again, its the venue and market that the asians will put together that will be hard to ignore.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #36
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
For all I know, Asian market in tennis is significant (even if its only because of Federer and Nadal). If they do come up with a breakaway league, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Japanese and..... will have tough competition between them and they don't have to play qualifiers of mm tournaments in Europe to get their ranking in ATP.

And if the interest for the league grows, ATP is bound to lose their viewership. I'd like to see that happen. Will teach the snooty officials a lesson.
You are a funny guy. How are they going to improve their games exactly?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #37
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
You are a funny guy. How are they going to improve their games exactly?

to hell with the asian players. it will not be about them. its about the rapidly growing market that can support and sustain a massive tennis venue.

you are still not catching on. some more schooling is needed.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #38
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tell me why Asians deserve special treatment? You have nothing, but tokenism to justify it.

So wildcards given to European players are based on their greatness? Why can't Australian open that markets itself as the grandslam of Asia give one wildcard to an Asian player? Instead they have arrangement with France and England. It's like that oligarchy thing they do in business.

England has great players to justify wildcards to Grand slams ofcourse.

Asians don't deserve special treatment, if its not given to the other playing nations.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #39
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
there was a time when the Italian Open was called the 5th slam. it could be something like that. it does not actually have to be a 5th slam.

once again, its the venue and market that the asians will put together that will be hard to ignore.
Don't give me this 5th Slam marketing talk. It was Rome and now it's Miami as the 5th Slam, but it doesn't exist.

Yeah, have you seen the masses of empty seats at the Beijing event throughout . The Shanghai public turn up, but they know they are watching top players.

Dubai has the facilities, all the money they need and the sheikhs can write off any losses, but do you see the courts full consistently?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #40
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
So wildcards given to European players are based on their greatness? Why can't Australian open that markets itself as the grandslam of Asia give one wildcard to an Asian player? Instead they have arrangement with France and England. It's like that oligarchy thing they do in business.

England has great players to justify wildcards to Grand slams ofcourse.

Asians don't deserve special treatment, if its not given to the other playing nations.

They give a WC to an Asian player. Denis Istomin won it this year and it was an Uzbek girl that won it for the womens.

They have done it for a while. Please check your facts Uzbekistan is in Asia.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #41
country flag juvvi

Quote:
Don't give me this 5th Slam marketing talk. It was Rome and now it's Miami as the 5th Slam, but it doesn't exist.

Yeah, have you seen the masses of empty seats at the Beijing event throughout . The Shanghai public turn up, but they know they are watching top players.

Dubai has the facilities, all the money they need and the sheikhs can write off any losses, but do you see the courts full consistently?
Ofcourse, even the title that Sam Querrey won recently was in front of a small crowd. Mostly were his 'Samurai' group.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #42
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
to hell with the asian players. it will not be about them. its about the rapidly growing market that can support and sustain a massive tennis venue.

you are still not catching on. some more schooling is needed.
No, you aren't getting it. You are like, lets jump on the Asian bandwagon and give them a Slam, because they have money.

What's the point of having a massive venue, if the ticket prices aren't affordable to local people? There is only so much that can be made from TV rights without people watching in the stadium.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #43
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you just think of change for the sake of change. What's the reason for a 5th Slam? There are too many events on the calendar as it is.
well most planned changes shouldnt be wrong. im not saying there should be a 5th slam , just that its possible in the future. (no way its happening soon , we know that the majority is still against it..)

maybe im looking too much ahead...

but my impression is that tennis is bound to become as commercialized as, for example the Champions League etc. and money will be the deciding factor there.

and money bends calendars ofc
finishingmove is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #44
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:

exactly. the next big market is in Asia. perhaps Malaysia. only time will tell.

who wants to burn in the damn desert in Dubai anyway? there is just no market there but there is a huge market in the Asia just waiting to be tapped.

i say within 5 years you will see a monster venue out of Asia.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #45
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
well most planned changes shouldnt be wrong. im not saying there should be a 5th slam , just that its possible in the future. (no way its happening soon , we know that the majority is still against it..)

maybe im looking too much ahead...

but my impression is that tennis is bound to become as commercialized as, for example the Champions League etc. and money will be the deciding factor there.

and money bends calendars ofc
Football and tennis are totally different markets and what works in one doesn't work in another sport essentially.

The Champs League was a compromise deal to stop a Euro Super League and even then the big clubs had to be culled in.

The extra round of matches before the knockout stage was hurting the overall product. People stop turning up for irrelevant group matches, that were dead matches, the prices were too high for these matches and the TV viewership went down.

The clubs bitches they lost money, but they didn't in reality.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1