Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #16
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tennis Need A 5th Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor Dandy View Post
If you organize this tournament in your garden would I have to qualify or could I get a WC?
Hehehe, I will let you know. I might have to put you up against Xristos.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #17
country flag trixtah

trixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Do you know how hard it was for the Aus Open to get parity with the other 3? It used to be the garbage Slam, when all the top Aussies retired and they couldn't get players there.

They turned it around, changed the surface and the timing of the event, but the event was saved when it was possibly going to be moved away.

No, it won't, you can't invent tradition. There is change for the better of the game, then there is change for cosmetic purposes.
and before my post gets buried for being the last on the previous page, why specifically a Grandslam and not a smaller tournament? Bring players there and then we'll see about even giving Masters status.
trixtah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #18
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
whats wrong with that? 5th slam wouldnt hurt

> changes dont kill u <

i wanna hear some REALLY GOOD arguments against a 5th slam

the only thing constant is change in life. like it or not, it is going to happen.

money talks and Asians have the dough.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvvi View Post
Seriously, there must be a bidding process and its just sick to watch the same places get the Grand Slam everytime. PMK, some things can't be bought by money because its the bullshit we've been taught. The current structure of tennis tournaments is unfair to Asian players.
You are talking out of your arse here that it's unfair to Asian players. When the Swedes were dominating tennis, they didn't bitch about not having a Grand Slam.

Look at what happens when you follow the bandwagon just for financial stake. Germany was the powerhouse and the engine of tennis in the 90s, had lots of big events there, heaps of TV money and look at it now. It has nothing.

The Asian players have to get better, let form their own league and not get any better because they will be isolated not playing against better opposition.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixtah View Post
and where in Asia would you like to put it? What month would you put it in? Why do you want a 5th slam but not just an increase in the number of tournaments in Asia? Tennis needs a 5th slam like I need an aneurysm
I am not saying we should put it. Just if there was a need and a market to exploit, there shouldn't be a reason not to do so. Ideally I would start off by having more challengers and mm tournaments in Asia and slowly after around 15-20 years grade the most popular one into an Masters level tournament and then slowly build up momentum to stake a claim for a Grand Slam.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #21
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixtah View Post
and before my post gets buried for being the last on the previous page, why specifically a Grandslam and not a smaller tournament? Bring players there and then we'll see about even giving Masters status.
There is going to be an Asian TMS in 2009 and they have seen top class tennis in Shanghai. It's up to the local federations to develop their players, how about getting some Asian guys doing well and pushing some others through, giving the youngsters something to strive for.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #22
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
i see u are the type of person who would rather just sit on that bridge forever
You started following tennis after Djokovic won the Aus Open.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #23
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you can't invent tradition.
well ok that might be true. but hey we're all living in 21st century capitalism.

in the end, the biggest diference between the slams and standard tournaments is the prizemoney , which is 10-20x in value.

more money = better tennis
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #24
country flag trixtah

trixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well ok that might be true. but hey we're all living in 21st century capitalism.

in the end, the biggest diference between the slams and standard tournaments is the prizemoney , which is 10-20x in value.

you keep talking about money this money that. You want to destroy tennis like some other sports? More money = better tennis? From which hole did you pull that from?

Quote:
There is going to be an Asian TMS in 2009 and they have seen top class tennis in Shanghai. It's up to the local federations to develop their players, how about getting some Asian guys doing well and pushing some others through, giving the youngsters something to strive for.
putting events in China is what I have the biggest issue with
trixtah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #25
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:

More money = better tennis for who? The sponsors and the tournament directors.

Dubai has heaps of money and they could pay a lot more, but what prestige does Dubai have as a tournament?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #26
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Money does not a slam make. Tradition does and you can't create tradition with a bribe.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #27
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are talking out of your arse here that it's unfair to Asian players. When the Swedes were dominating tennis, they didn't bitch about not having a Grand Slam.

Look at what happens when you follow the bandwagon just for financial stake. Germany was the powerhouse and the engine of tennis in the 90s, had lots of big events there, heaps of TV money and look at it now. It has nothing.

The Asian players have to get better, let form their own league and not get any better because they will be isolated not playing against better opposition.
I don't know about the politics of Europe. Do you think the Swedes and Asians are equal in Europe? Europe as a region has two grand Slams and Swedes can get wildcard into tournaments. Next thing you'll say Serbia doesn't have a grandslam and all such bullshit.

Do Asians get wildcards? Its not as simple as you portray about Asian players needing to get better. Tennis is a simple game, not some rocket science. People need experience at bigger tournaments to get better. I am not completely ruling out the possibility that asian tennis players mostly suck, but that it may be partly due to the lack of tournaments there.

And having a break away league doesn't mean they can't play in ATP, unless ATP tries protectionist tactics to have the Asian pie and not give them anything meaningful.

You need to get your head out of your arse and stop smelling your own farts.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #28

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You started following tennis after Djokovic won the Aus Open.
hm minus the obvious exageration... still wrong
Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #29

well since ur all talking about tradition i wanna hear what u think about the AO switching surface multiple times...

and WHAT IF wimbledon switched to HC? would u stop watching tennis?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #30
country flag juvvi

Remember all it takes for the Asian breakaway league to succeed is to win a match between the top two players of the regular ATP, that can be used to create a frenzy in Asia and market it and develop it. Tradition can't be bought by dollars, I agree. But can be brainwashed into people leveraging the power of media like the Western media has done for centuries into antagonising any culture other than its own.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all