Robby on clay :\ (congrats on 4th round at Roland Garros!!) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robby in Houston

Robby lost in the first round in Bermuda - 2 and 2 to Cuevas... ouch.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #17
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robby on clay :\

Robby played in Barcelona only to exit in the first round not much new there...

I finally saw Robby in person when I went to River Oaks!! I bought tickets for the Monday evening session that week before I even knew who was scheduled to play, and it ended up being him!!

I had low expectations for him, honestly, but when I saw him come out and warm-up before his match (his match started long after 6pm when it was supposed to start because they moved a doubles match onto that court and it went to the bitter end), to me, he CLEARLY looked like the better player, and I'm not even being biased when I say this. Robby looked confident and ready to play, and Dudi Sela just seemed average in comparison at the time.

When the match started, Robby again CLEARLY looked like the better player. He was mixing up his shots very well. He played with a variety of pace and spins, and he was constructing his points very well. I was very pleased to see that he was getting off to a good start, and it wasn't looking like anything was going to stop him..........

However, things did start to change... and I noticed this during the break points. ((It also began to get kind of cold there)). Believe it or not, Dudi actually came up with his best shots during those crucial points in the latter part of the first set. It was actually weird for me to watch this because I instantly became pessimistic about the outcome of this match once this started to happen. I still kept hope alive, but started to notice a downward trend. Dudi's favorite shot seemed to be his one-handed backhand, cross-court, which he would often cut at such an angle or with such pace that Robby would either not be able to reach it in time, or if he did, he was at such an awkward position that he wasn't able to do anything with it.

I honestly think this annoyed Robby, because through the whole beginning of the match, there was virtually no greatness from Dudi, but suddenly he was coming up with stuff when Robby was looking to take the first set. Although the audience was overwhelmingly on Robby's side cheering him on, whenever Dudi came up with an awesome winning shot, the audience would uproar with shock and applause- because it seemed to come out of nowhere and there was fight on both sides! Little by little, Robby's earlier strategy of mixing up his shots and spins (and being patient) was replaced with what looked to be Robby's attempt at trying to create winners of his own... Unfortunately, he was choosing the WRONG times to do this! Several times, you could see him setting up for a powerful forehand winner, when it wasn't necessary, only to smack it straight into the net- with the entire audience gasping in disbelief/disappointment. Robby seemed equally annoyed with his inability to come up with winners when he had a nearly open court to do so. He would appear to set up his points really well, until he would try to go for his open-court winner, and he would often mishit! He even yelled to himself "have a purpose behind your shot!" as he looked downward. When it got to the tie-break, I looked at my friend and said, "this isn't good"... and apparently I was right... Robby completely dumped the first 4 points of the tie-break... had he not done this, he would have likely won that tie-break, because he almost came back in that tie-break to win it, but then he made some more unforced errors to end that set.

There were some uncomfortable moments in the match where Dudi would win the point, but you could hear a pin drop afterward... There was an overwhelming feeling there that people were witnessing a talented player sink in confidence and his ability to win points and turn things around. There were times in the 2nd set where various people cheered Robby's name out loud hoping to lift his spirits and help him back in the match, but he just never quite got back to where he was in the beginning of the match , and Dudi only seemed to grow in confidence. When it was over, Wayne Bryan said "Robby Ginepri everyone"... as he left the court, and everyone clapped... Robby seemed very disheartened and very aware that he let more than just himself down.

I only saw Jamie (his trainer) with him there, and they both left relatively quickly after his match was over. I do hope to see him play in the future, hopefully with a win next time though!!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #18
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

Holy @#$% ... Robby beat Mario Ancic 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(8)! And he saved two match points!

rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

he also beat Olivier Rochus in 3 sets and is playing Juan Monaco closely, good signs for Robby

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #20
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

Robby was playing on a court with no TV coverage, but TTC dispatched a cameraperson over there for the last half of the match. Conditions were a little rough, but he fought his way through in four sets.

Any word on why he was sporting the braces/supports on his right bicep & forearm?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
country flag Deboogle!.

I believe he'd had an injury there a while back, maybe he is still wrapping it up as precaution

Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #22
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rege View Post
Any word on why he was sporting the braces/supports on his right bicep & forearm?
Robby told Luke Jensen that it was "all for show"... but I think it serves as a precautionary measure ever since he had a bicep injury in March... It was reassuring to hear that he wasn't in any pain or anything

I saw bits of the match today on ESPN2, and PMac couldn't stop saying how impressed he was with the way Robby was playing and how hard he had been working. And he praised his efforts during the Davis Cup final again too.

I'm just impressed how Robby kept it together during the match, and when he would react to his own errors, he reacted promptly, and then it seemed to leave his system, which was amazing to see... In the past, his body language would stay negative for a longer period of time, OR he would try to bottle it all up inside, only to suddenly blow up later on.

Congrats Robby on making the 3rd round of Roland Garros!!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #23
country flag rege

Actually, they showed quite a bit of Robby's match on ESPN this morning and P-Mac said it was for an elbow issue. In looking at the way he had it taped (the black tape going along the length of his arm and over onto his back), I think it is indeed an elbow thing.

And I agree that Robby seemed to be in a better state of mind... didn't dwell on his occasional unforced errors and didn't let his opponent derail his momentum with breaks (medical treatment, having the umpire check a smudge, etc.).
Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #24
country flag Deboogle!.

Robby's the last American singles player in either draw amazing

And maybe even more importantly, the rankings for the Olympics closes and this run should've put him into the position to make the US team

Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #25
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to Robby in today`s match!!!

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
country flag Deboogle!.

straight sets pretty amazing!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #27
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsay 2005 QF here would be awesome

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
country flag Deboogle!.

Robby was just interviewed, he said the taping is indeed precautionary from his injury earlier this spring.....

also he said he is supporting the Celtics in the NBA finals so he is in my good book

Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
And maybe even more importantly, the rankings for the Olympics closes and this run should've put him into the position to make the US team
Yep, Mary Carillo just said so on NBC today. Good for him