The Federer Decline Thread - Page 88 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1306
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Is he done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserer View Post
He is done. No more Slams for Olderer, even semis will be difficult to reach. He should retire to save his tainted legacy before it's too late.
Broken record that has been literally been said since 2002, even before Federer was winning slams.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #1307
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
He was the 2nd best player of 2012.

The H2H against his main rivals:
Djokovic: 2 - 3
Murray: 3 - 2
Nadal: 1 - 1

Not bad for a 31 year old playing against 5 years younger opponents.

Roger will not fall out of the top 4 next year as the haters eagerly want and already started saying.

He has declined. That's obvious, just watch a match from 2005/2006. But his talent and natural ability allow him to still win slams and beat prime top opponents much to the despair of he haters.

4 more years haters and then you can finally rest.
Unfortunately haters don't wanna see this.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #1308
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

No chance he's done. If he can still win Wimbledon in 2012, which was done by beating Andy Murray (who has his best year to date), as well as still top the World Rankings when all of the other top 4, apart from maybe Nadal seem to be improving, then I don't think he'll be done for another four or five years. I'm not the biggest fan of fed, mainly due to his annoying fans and his obvious, but never talked about arrogance, but there's not doubting he is still one of the best on tour and plays probably the most exciting Tennis when he's on form. Of course lapses in concentrating are becoming more and more regular and his backhand is becoming weak, but when on the biggest stages fed steps up and always goes deep in the important tournaments. I don't think he cares about masters any more, and rightfully so. He earned the chance to miss these tournaments and we'll see him focus less and less on them, including the ones he enters. It might not happen but we could very well see fed do will in Rio 2016 but it all depends and even if he makes it the court surface may not suit him.
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #1309
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviopr View Post
Unfortunately haters don't wanna see this.
haters gonna hate man...

to much fanatism here and little tennis with that guys.

many of them started to watch tennis with nadal or djokovic.

federer has an amazing perfomance against the young guys and with amazings physicall conditions......others legends of tennis at the same age of roger were much more vulnerable and lost with mugs.
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1310
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
haters gonna hate man...

to much fanatism here and little tennis with that guys.

many of them started to watch tennis with nadal or djokovic.

federer has an amazing perfomance against the young guys and with amazings physicall conditions......others legends of tennis at the same age of roger were much more vulnerable and lost with mugs.
and you started to watch tennis with Federer so what's the difference
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #1311
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

He claims Djokovic was never injured last year and is very lucky (even after beating the top 3 players in 2007 Montreal, and then winning 5 Slams).
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #1312
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
and you started to watch tennis with Federer so what's the difference
He started watching tennis earlier than you.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #1313
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
He was the 2nd best player of 2012.

The H2H against his main rivals:
Djokovic: 2 - 3
Murray: 3 - 2
Nadal: 1 - 1

Not bad for a 31 year old playing against 5 years younger opponents.

Roger will not fall out of the top 4 next year as the haters eagerly want and already started saying.

He has declined. That's obvious, just watch a match from 2005/2006. But his talent and natural ability allow him to still win slams and beat prime top opponents much to the despair of he haters.

4 more years haters and then you can finally rest.
I don't think any tennis fan really wants to see Roger retire... It will be the end of an era... We will all miss Roger when that happens...

I've heard many fans say that they will stop watching tennis when Fed retires: then they are not tennis fans, they are Fed fans, into the personality cult more than into the sport.

Our sport is bigger than any one player... It will be interesting to see what will happen then, the playing field will be more level, we won't have one player getting all the crowd support in all the venues all over the world. It'll be weird...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #1314
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

so many fake tards asking for the old man's retirement they don't realize that fedmug isn't playing for the glory these days, he just enjoys the game (and the fat stacks too). nothing wrong with that of course.

i say let the old man do whatever he wants. hell, eve if he loses more than usually (and he will) he might get lucky and win another slam somewhere down the road.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #1315
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the ones wanting him to retire are the ones who's favourites fed poses the biggest threat too? As a Murray + Djoker fan I don't want fed to retire as I believe both guys step up their game vs fed and the rivalries between the guys and fed is great. Same could be said for the whole fedal thing. What happens when fed goes?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #1316
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I've heard many fans say that they will stop watching tennis when Fed retires: then they are not tennis fans, they are Fed fans, into the personality cult more than into the sport.

Our sport is bigger than any one player... It will be interesting to see what will happen then, the playing field will be more level, we won't have one player getting all the crowd support in all the venues all over the world. It'll be weird...
well yes ... but I can say my experience : I watched tennis a lot in the 80s and in the first half of the 90s then I got disinterested, parly for reasons external to tennis for sure but also because tennis just got less interesting in my eyes (and I know I'm not the only one who lived that). It just didn't have the same variety and excitement it had in the 80s imo.

Then I watched few tournaments from time to time (didn't miss Roland-Garros, the US Open 2002, Masters 2001 I remember all of them clearly) but it was not the same as it had been ... and then I discovered that Federer-guy in Houston 2003, and even not in his first match, in his second one against Nalbandian actually, I think I had never seen him play before, I had not even watched Wimbledon.

And it was a shock : something new and very exciting

And then I watched everyone of his matches and more and more matches, and you know that I've followed a lot a lot of matches in the last years and am interested in all players now, not only Roger ... but the truth is : it's Roger who brought me back to tennis.

Then surely Roger is not tennis but I can understand that in some periods of the game, the game is not so exciting and there are not so many exciting players : I can definitely understand that about the current and probably next period, noit only because of Roger leaving actually, there were many other exciting players in his time with different styles Roger, Gonzo, Haas, Safin, Nalbandian, Ferrero, Hewitt, Roddick, Youzhny, Blake, Davydenko ... just look at the popularity polls ... and for tennis styles also think of Fish, Ljubicic, Rochus, Lopez ... the question may also be raised if in the end Nadal will not be "linked" to that period as well if he declines from now. And surely the young Djokovic is attached to it

the problem is that it's not only Roger who's leaving : it's also all of these styles, it's also the one handed backhand ...

A lot of these players left in last years or will leave soon, and then Fed leaving will not only look like Fed leaving, it will also look like a style of tennis leaving, like an era of players leaving, many many symbols actually, also as he will probably be the last one of that era to leave.

Then I don't think it's as simple as saying "if you leave tennis then it means you're only attached to a star or to a personality". One has to be realistic : most of those will probably still follow tennis but they may do as I did in the second part of the 90s and beginning of the 00s : have lost passion and just watch it from time to time. Even if they don't decide that at the precise moment Fed will retire, it may be the process which may happen in the long term for them (and for some of those this weariness movement about current tennis has already started before Fed leaves actually)

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #1317
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer will never drop out of the top 4.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #1318
country flag ProdigyEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
Federer will never drop out of the top 4.
Erm? So the GOAT will play as a GOAPOAT ?

argument.
Quote:

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1319
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

To put Federer's 2012 and his prospects for next years in perspective :

Federer won Wimbledon 2012 at nearly 31 years old (short by one month).

That's the same age which Laver, Sampras, Connors had when they won their final slam. All of them together only played one more slam final : Connors next year was crushed in Wimbledon final by McEnroe.

The only ones in the open era who won slams at an older age are Arthur Ashe (32 years old) in Wimbledon 1975, Agassi at 32 years and 9 months, Gimeno in a French open without most top-players at 34 years and 10 months old, and the one the only freaking ... Ken Rosewall, who was already 33 years old when the open era started and still won 4 slams and played 4 other finals, his last win at 37 years old, his last final at nearly 40 years old

Sampras was far from number 1 when he won that last slam, Connors was near from it and had got it a few weeks before, Laver was undoubtedly the best player then as he won the calendar grand slam. But none of them got the number 1 again.

It mostly leaves Agassi as the one example of a guy who still managed at an older age to win one slam and lose two finals, and get to number 1 in a quite weak era.

Then you see why my main goal now for Fed is just to stay in the top-4 ... as Connors and Agassi still managed to do until 34, that means until 2015 : see where the Rio 2016 perspective comes from ? I don't think it's really the Olympics which are the real reason of that "project 2016". 35 years old just looks like a reasonable age to retire still being among top-players even though being able to win one slam and even to reach one final from now to 35 would still look like a big big performance. But well Connors and Agassi still played many semifinals

for those interested, I just made a thread with the oldest grand slam finalists of the open era ( http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...7#post12597277 ). I also realized that 27 years old already looked quite old to reach a slam final : Borg, Mcenroe, Wilander didn't reach a slam final from that age, and even Stefan Edberg reached his last slam final precisely at 27 years old, nomore final for him from them. And why is 27 years old also interesting ? because it will be the age Nadal will be during Roland-Garros this year

I just say all that to put things in perspective, especially because some think not to understand that Federer is indeed ageing and that what he did in 2012 was a very big performance (not only winning Wimbledon : 3 Masters 1000 and a WTF Final for God's sake ! H2Hs equal -or nearly for Djokovic- with all of his young great opponents-) which will probably not happen again (well of course I would love him still to win one slam in his carreer and 18 sounds better than 17 imo )

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 04:49 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #1320
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
well yes ... but I can say my experience : I watched tennis a lot in the 80s and in the first half of the 90s then I got disinterested, parly for reasons external to tennis for sure but also because tennis just got less interesting in my eyes (and I know I'm not the only one who lived that). It just didn't have the same variety and excitement it had in the 80s imo.

Then I watched few tournaments from time to time (didn't miss Roland-Garros, the US Open 2002, Masters 2001 I remember all of them clearly) but it was not the same as it had been ... and then I discovered that Federer-guy in Houston 2003, and even not in his first match, in his second one against Nalbandian actually, I think I had never seen him play before, I had not even watched Wimbledon.

And it was a shock : something new and very exciting
OMG Duong!! That's exactly what happened to me! I could have written that paragraph! I stopped watching tennis both for personal reasons and because I couldn't endure another serve fest between Ivanisevic and Sampras! I also saw Roger for the first time in Houston in 2003 and I also fell in love with his game. He brought me back to tennis, too.

The other day I met a friend whom I hadn't seen in ages and she asked me: "Do you still watch tennis? Are you still a Federer fan?" I answered: "Wow. Is it that long since we last saw each other?"

How I stopped being a Roger fan is another story... But I'll always love his game. Always. And I will be very sad when he retires.