The Federer Decline Thread - Page 55 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #811
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer will probably drop to #4 next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Poor argument. "had nadull been able to play more " is a mute point. Reason being nadull fans and apologist want it BOTH ways . It's just not how reality works. U get what u put out. It would be a valid point if it was like Muster, Sampras , Seles etc. however Nadulls tiredness and injuries ( knee tendinitis) is a direct result of his physical retrieving style of play. It's one of the drawbacks of his style. The same style that is so effective against federer is the same style that leads to injuries by overplaying .
Put another way , in any other era nadull would still miss tournies or not go as deep because of injuries caused by excessive play as opposed to his contempories.
As a fed fan I could say I want fed n Soderling fan I could say I want them to go for the lines and be risky but not miss , or leak a lot of errors. But that's not the case , u playing style has pro and cons. U can have your cake and eat it too.
So nadull would still make it deep just as much in any era with his style of play, so goes for every one else , whose failure isn't caused by an accident of pre existing medical condition.
No, you missed my point...

I meant, Nadal is slumping at the moment, so that means he'll come back hungry next year, whereas Federer is on a roll now and that will end in a few months. So...
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #812
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
No, you missed my point...

I meant, Nadal is slumping at the moment, so that means he'll come back hungry next year, whereas Federer is on a roll now and that will end in a few months. So...
Yes nadull is slumping and with this rest will come back stronger next year relative to fed who is on his home stretch at the top.
However nadull success would be limited IMO , from now on
1 because of age.
2 he has more players adept to his game in the current generation.Novak/Murray/Del-po would slowly dominate nadull.

THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #813
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes nadull is slumping and with this rest will come back stronger next year relative to fed who is on his home stretch at the top.
1 because of age.
2 he has more players adept to his game in the current generation.Novak/Murray/Del-po would slowly dominate nadull.
yes he is 26 wow he is old
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #814

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Federer will drop to number 4 next year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
I said I think Federer is a consistent top4 performer. With that I meant he isn't losing often to anyone outside the top4. And I don't think a non top4 ranking or seeding will change that. Of course it's harder to get back in the top 4 than to stay in the top4 because these days the top4 perform a lot better and more consistent than all other players.
OK, let's say Federer is ranked 5 and draws Nadal in every slam QF. Nadal would win at least two AO and RG matches. That's two QF exits for Federer. At Wimbledon and USO, if he does beat Nadal and reach the semifinal, he would have to face another top 4 player and he would be a dog there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Listen to this then, in 2014-2015 everyone in the current top 5 will be in declining years. There will be no dominant force, power players touching 30 (Berdych, Tsonga) retiring and youths wont be able to fill shoes from previous generation. Djokovic and Murray at 28 with a faster decline than Federer, inconsistency and mediocrity will dominate tennis like the late 90s and early 00s.

Let me remind you how it goes; one day Rios, then Moya, then Kafelnikov nr1. Agassi at 33 winnign slams against the likes of Schuettler and Clement in finals, Johansson winning slams.

Federer at 33-34 could be in for a good time if healthy. Winning one slam here and one there without even playing Djokovic, Murray or Nadal. How about Federer-Nishikori in Australian open final 2014? Or Federer-Tomic in Wimbledon 2015?

See, I think Federer and his team have seen what lies beyond the current strong top 4 and it is a wasteland! He can hang in there even with a weak 2013, the Djokovic decline is on the horrison and the Nadal decline is happening at full speed right infront our eyes.

Slope of the Federer decline is not falling at such degree that he will be losing slams to Tomic, Harrison or Raonic the next 2, 3 years.
And you think Djokovic doesn't see that? Or Murray? Or Del Potro? Or Nadal of course.

Some of them might have a more physical approach to the game, but it's not as dramatically different as MTF sometimes puts it. Del Potro, injury free, could also play by age of 35 going by that logic (less grinding = more longevity). The key factor is the motivation of these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
No, it doesn't. Federer has won two out of three against Nadal on grass, losing in a banner year for Nadal and a poor one for himself. This year has not been like that. He would be heavy favourite to win, especially considering the weather - a large part of the match would be played indoors. Nadal plays much slower than Murray, so the roof would come out in the 2nd set.

As for "just had to show up in the final" - how easy do you think it is to reach a Wimbledon final? Nadal managed five times. Excellent. But that does not mean he can book his place there every year.

Federer's ranking will of course eventually drop. He will most probably maintain top-3 longer than Nadal, though. It appears likely now that when he finally drops it will be Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro that passes him, but things happen quickly so one never knows.
The weather is the only thing that could help him. Though, had Nadal been marching into the final, things would look different. It's not a given that Federer would reach the final then. He surely wouldn't be as motivated as when knowing Murray was waiting there.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #815

Quote:
1 because of age.
A semi-decent Nadal can give a lot of problems to Federer, if nothing else.

Besides, even if Nadal fails, Djokovic has shown consistency beating Fed at AO and USO, Del Potro beat him at the USO, Murray is a big question mark at this point, but I think he has the game to bring Fed down on all surfaces (including clay)...
Quote:
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #816
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Federer will drop to number 4 next year)

For some 32 years old guy from weak era would be miracle if he stays in top 4 in this strong era. don't see a point of this discussion
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #817
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

The guy is over 30 and still number 1. Pure legend. Too bad he is an arrogant twat.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #818
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

One of the worst poll options I've ever seen. Why would it mean that just because Fed is declining he wouldn't win another major?

Those who think Federer hasn't declined either didn't follow him at all in 2004-2006, are just trolling or are blinded by hate and tardism. Fed serves better than in his peak, and he arguably handles the high backhand better. Everything else he does worse. When comparing levels of one player it's completely pointless to use 2 sets here, a match there to prove any point.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #819
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
yes he is 26 wow he is old
A players Prime is generally from 21-25 years. Of course their are exceptions to the rule.
Nadull is an early bloomer and because of his physical game 26 is getting on the older side. Most players in history that plays nadull style of play would be done and dusted by now. However credit to nadull for still being among the top at 26. However the fact that he hasn't won a title off- clay for 2 years show the trajectory of his career is on the decline.
19-21 won slams only on clay . 1 per year.
21-25 won multiple slams on all surfaces
25 + back to winning predominantly on clay.

ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
NOTHING MORE

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #820
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A players Prime is generally from 21-25 years. Of course their are exceptions to the rule.
Nadull is an early bloomer and because of his physical game 26 is getting on the older side. Most players in history that plays nadull style of play would be done and dusted by now. However credit to nadull for still being among the top at 26. However the fact that he hasn't won a title off- clay for 2 years show the trajectory of his career is on the decline.
19-21 won slams only on clay . 1 per year.
21-25 won multiple slams on all surfaces
25 + back to winning predominantly on clay.
you should have learned by now to never count Nadal out.Your wishes are irrelevant.He will play for years to come at a high level
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #821
country flag sco

sco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why this thread is still going on. It's obvious to anyone who saw Fed in his prime that he has declined (in particular, his movement - Navratilova once said that it's not that she can't hit the shots anymore, it's that she can't get there fast enough to do so.). Back then, he dominated the tour (sans Nadal) without coaching, scouting, using the drop shot at all and his improved backhand, and he did it comfortably. Having the talent he has and at his physical prime, his confidence was sky-high, and we all know what a great front-runner he is. His opponents were confounded because he could hit every shot and chase down everything. Even Agassi thought there was just nowhere to go vs Fed - either on serve or returning.

To me, it's incredible that he's reached #1 again (after the shanking of the past 2 years). I always thought he'd win a Grand Slam or two more, but never attain #1 or the most weeks at #1 record. As far as I'm concerned, everything now is icing on the cake but then I thought so after he won FO too. No one knows what's going to happen in the future, but as long as he enjoys tennis, he'll keep playing and maybe get lucky. Really no difference between #3 and #4 as far as draw is concerned. And even if he drops further, it just takes luck for a draw to open up. Hard to see why there are still doubters, the man continues to amaze. BTW, Nadal will be back - don't count him out.

Last edited by sco : 08-13-2012 at 05:40 PM.
sco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #822
country flag luie

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
A semi-decent Nadal can give a lot of problems to Federer, if nothing else.

Besides, even if Nadal fails, Djokovic has shown consistency beating Fed at AO and USO, Del Potro beat him at the USO, Murray is a big question mark at this point, but I think he has the game to bring Fed down on all surfaces (including clay)...
A semi decent nadull would give fed problems even be favorite . However this is second part of the year the faster lower bouncing part of the season where fed is 6-1 against nadull and Nadulls lone victory coming in his absolute Prime game wise 2008. In 2010 nadull was lucky.
So nadull hasn't demonstrated ownership of fed in the second part of the year do blanket generalized statements can't be used.

ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
NOTHING MORE

Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #823

Quote:
A semi decent nadull would give fed problems even be favorite . However this is second part of the year the faster lower bouncing part of the season where fed is 6-1 against nadull and Nadulls lone victory coming in his absolute Prime game wise 2008. In 2010 nadull was lucky.
So nadull hasn't demonstrated ownership of fed in the second part of the year do blanket generalized statements can't be used.
I'm talking about next year. So, starting as of AO 2013 etc.

Federer will probably still have pretty good results this autumn.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #824
country flag luie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
you should have learned by now to never count Nadal out.Your wishes are irrelevant.He will play for years to come at a high level
I am not counting nadull out , he could win the USO and I wouldn't be surprise. He could beat fed and I wouldn't be surprised, it might be expected. However this goes for most players in history . Not targeting nadull.

ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
NOTHING MORE

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #825
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
Sure why not. he can be number 4 as long as he wins slams. Serena is not number 1 but everybody knows she is the best in wta and no one can deny that.
Serena Williams is a deserved 4th best in the WTA, I don't know why anyone would rate her higher. Best on grass, yes, but grass is a short part of the season. Her results in AO and FO makes it very clear that Sharapova and Azarenka are the two best players of 2012 thus far. It is bad enough you bring in the WTA in a Mens Tennis Forum discussion, but if you must then please get your facts straight.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote