The Federer Decline Thread - Page 39 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #571
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,598
Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
You are getting more and more ridiculous with each of your posts. I hope Novak loses just to see what retarded excuse you'll come up with next.

As for Fed 2008, he was 27, not 26, and he had mono. It's just his age. Not to mention he'd won so many majors in the years before. I also love how RN was never a true rival before 2008 .
I don't have conversations with looners.
__________________

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #572
country flag Looner
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12,109
Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I don't have conversations with looners.
No problem. You were never capable of a proper conversation anyway. You're too busy drooling over Nole
__________________

The "Who plays tennis?" thread


On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #573
country flag juan27
Registered User
 
juan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 2,647
juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

the 2008 was the beginning of his decline , in tennis many great champions when they had 26 years old didn`t won slams anymore like wilander........and federer in 2008 was 27 not 26 going for 28.

djokovic for me is not in the same league that federer and nadal , I mean people thing about 2 real challenges , but nole raised in 2011 when federer had 30 years old!!!

the only great opponent of roger was always nadal
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #574
country flag Macbrother
Registered User
 
Macbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Posts: 1,225
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Some of you Federer fans really do take that Foster Wallace piece literally apparently and it is a religious experience for you.

Federer can have a dip in form and still be in his prime. But more importantly, players like Karlovic, Blake, Fish and Roddick SHOULD have occasionally beaten Federer. The odd thing would be that they NEVER beat him, not that they beat him once or twice.
The only one having a religious experience is you: somehow surmising that Federer is either an immortal or buddies with Ponce De Leon and found the fountain of youth, all in a hollow attempt to boost Djokovic's resume which is entirely unnecessary. Yes, those players should occasionally beat Federer but they never did. Now, suddenly, in 2008, all of them defeat him, and some of them rather easily -- stick your head in the sand if you like but this is very clear evidence Federer's level most certainly had dropped.

Quote:
What IS hard to follow is that a man is 26 yet somehow out of his tennis prime such that his loss to Nadal in the FO open where he was obliterated had nothing to do with an unreal performance from Nadal but rather it's all about with a premature decline from one of the sport's fittest players at 26.

There is probably no evidence that will impact the mindset that produces the idea that Federer at 26, in the middle of winning slams etc, was not in his prime.
Soph has posted player after player who's career went on a downslide at 26, many of them champions. Sometimes it's about age, sometimes it's about mileage, sometimes it's about pyschology but the facts and precedence are there plain as day -- just because you don't like it, or don't want to believe it, doesn't make it any less true.
__________________
~The Mac

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #575
country flag Clay Death
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

fed has lost a little step and some of explosive movement but he seems to be compensating nicely for it.

now somebody tell sampy to beat it. we are getting awfully tired of educating his sorry ass.

on the other hand he is free to join mtf. he will be right at home here with some of the legless ejacuzees.

he can try teaching running here too along with the rest of the legless ejacuzees.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #576
heya
Banned!
 
heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,584
heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

fed is unbeatable to roddick. yes, trolls
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #577
country flag Fireballer
Registered User
 
Fireballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,383
Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
the 2008 was the beginning of his decline , in tennis many great champions when they had 26 years old didn`t won slams anymore like wilander........and federer in 2008 was 27 not 26 going for 28.

djokovic for me is not in the same league that federer and nadal , I mean people thing about 2 real challenges , but nole raised in 2011 when federer had 30 years old!!!

the only great opponent of roger was always nadal
Djoker was beating Fed in 2007 so your point is stupid...Fed at 30 still beats player on regular basis
__________________
Congrats to Roger Federer on his 17th record breaking GS title and becoming the best player that ever played on grass and breaking number 1 record.You deserve it Roger
Fireballer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #578
country flag shanks
Registered User
 
shanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 494
shanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
Djoker was beating Fed in 2007 so your point is stupid...Fed at 30 still beats player on regular basis
What? In Montreal? Please talk about Grand Slams. Djokovic NEVER beat prime Federer in Grand Slams. 2008 he had mono start of year. He started beating a post peak Fed finally in US Open 2010. Rafa beat peak Fed at Grand Slams. Both are facts. Digest that. Djokovic as far as statistics and accomplishments are concerned, will always be inferior to Rafa & Roger. I like Djoko alot,great player, but facts are facts.
shanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #579
country flag Fireballer
Registered User
 
Fireballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,383
Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
What? In Montreal? Please talk about Grand Slams. Djokovic NEVER beat prime Federer in Grand Slams. 2008 he had mono start of year. He started beating a post peak Fed finally in US Open 2010. Rafa beat peak Fed at Grand Slams. Both are facts. Digest that. Djokovic as far as statistics and accomplishments are concerned, will always be inferior to Rafa & Roger. I like Djoko alot,great player, but facts are facts.
Djoker should have won in 2007 US Open and choked and MONO FED IS A LIE
__________________
Congrats to Roger Federer on his 17th record breaking GS title and becoming the best player that ever played on grass and breaking number 1 record.You deserve it Roger
Fireballer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #580
country flag mcnasty
Registered User
 
mcnasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 364
mcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Obviously it's not a matter of agreeing or not. It's do you like Sampras or not. So to base your dislike of Sampras based on his opinion isn't addressing the issue at all. The issue is why do you despise Sampras as much as you do?
mcnasty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #581
country flag Allez
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,641
Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
That does not follow.

Roger on current form might well win 3 slams this year without Nole & Rafa, but sans Nole & Rafa the competition is worse than when he was winning 2-3 slams a year in his prime.

This whole debate is rather extraordinary isn't it?

On the one hand we have well-documented scientific evidence that reaction times, footspeed, & frequently mental toughness & motivation start to decline in the late '20s. We have the weight of historical evidence that at least since tennis became a highly physical sport, no great player with significant mileage has failed to decline from late twenties onwards, either objectively in terms of their results, or subjectively according to most observers in their standard of play - even players famed for their longevity such as Connors. And we have the fact that from 2008 onwards, Federer's results against players other than Nole & Rafa have been worse than they were from 2004-7. Most of us also have the evidence of our own eyes, but sadly nobody can make the blind see,; nonetheless, eyesight aside, there is an overwhelming argument to support the proposition that Federer has declined.

Against that, we have the opposing pronouncements of several commentators. Contrary to what certain Nole/Rafatards say, the commentators are far from unanimous about this. Peter Fleming, Barry Cowan, & Mark Petchey, to take the most recent ones I've seen on T.V., all agreed Fed had lost half a step, even while they were saying he was in the last few weeks hitting his forehand as well as ever, which in itself strongly implies he was hitting his forehand worse than before in some period between his best and his current renaissance. So the argument that the "experts" must be right, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, doesn't even get off the ground: the "experts" don't all say the same thing.

But imagine if they did. What then? If "experts" are all saying one thing and all evidence is pointing the other way, there are 2 plausible explanations: the people we take to be experts are not in fact experts, OR the experts have some reason for saying what they're saying other than their expertise. There's something to be said for the first of these: being good at doing something does NOT necessarily make you good at understanding it, partiucularly when the activity in question is physical & instinctive; porn stars aren't often experts on biology. But let's put that aside. Is there a reason for tennis "experts" to contradict the weight of evidence on this question? In Sampras's case, there clearly is, as I've said before: he is a friend of Federer's & wants to encourage him. In most other cases, the experts are employed to talk about the current game and so have a vested interest in promoting the current game. It's hard to understand how this isn't blindingly obvious. There is also in the general Zeitgeist a tendency to exalt the present at the expense of even the recent past, and you have to be highly intelligent & independently-minded to go against this - & let's face it, these qualities rarely abound in sports commentators.

Is there overwhelming evidence that Federer has declined? Yes. Is there a plausible explanation for commentators' failing publicly to acknowledge this? Yes. Is this debate now over? Yes.
Way too good! The debate is ovah
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #582
country flag shanks
Registered User
 
shanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 494
shanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
Djoker should have won in 2007 US Open and choked and MONO FED IS A LIE
You are acting like a crybaby now. Should've would've could've. Facts are facts. Just concentrate on what ACTUALLY happened. Please check with the docs how much of a lie mono Fed was. What about all the injuries Rafa & Novak have suffered? Should we conduct an investigation there too? Its a waste of time.
shanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #583
country flag Orka_n
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,006
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

The intelligence of the noletards posting here is breathtaking.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #584
country flag Clay Death
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

is this mindless, legless ejacuzee gong show still going on?

we really need to forget about sampy. he had his days in the sun.


there is a new world order here now.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #585
country flag Commander Data
Registered User
 
Commander Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: XR-17
Posts: 10,064
Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
In 5 years time when Nole is being beaten by younger players come back and spew the same BS about Nole still being at his peak and only losing because he is a crappy player compared to the younger generation
This
__________________
"You cannot be a number one in the world and be a good loser"

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios