The Federer Decline Thread - Page 31 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #451
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
The claim rejects the physical reality of sport.

With age the body recovers slower, reactions and parts of the body such as the back suffer more problems.

All top players in the history of tennis have declined with age, so obviously applies to Federer as well.
Of. Bloody. Course.
It's not rocket science, I hope?

Okay... to some it apparently is.
__________________
"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #452
country flag fivebargate
Registered User
 
fivebargate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 798
fivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Do we have to do this same shoit overandoverandoveragain?

Federer is still playing some great tennis....but yes he has declined. He isn't as fast....as fluid....as "in the moment" during key passages of the match...is jaded by success...doesn't hit his forehand as brutally as he used to....had more blips and off days....etc etc. All a product of the aging athlete. However, like all champions he has been working on ways to stay relevant and to his credit has used his phenomenal talent to still be producing some fantastic tennis in an age when conditions have dictated that tennis is more physically demanding than ever before. If you think that is a mean feat....then kindly wait 5 or 6 years and see how the current top guys fare at his age.
fivebargate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #453
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater
 
RagingLamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 5,572
RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
There is no doubt that Fed is doing extremely well for his age, nor that Sampras would like to hype up/be polite to (make your choice ) his friend.

Still - the old pundits still get payed to market the sport (apparently the sports journo's LOVE reading any comment about the current state of the sport from them, so yes, it SELLS - even the more as certain tards loving reading that kind of stuff, as is shown over here at MTF so often ), so this is obviously a factor as well playing a role, here.
Maybe he gets paid to do the interview, but to market the sport? Sampras? Who's paying him to market the sport? The ATP?
__________________
Lest we forget.
RagingLamb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #454
country flag Greatness
Registered User
 
Greatness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 457
Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
Only a blind person will agree with you. How can a 30/31 year old athlete be on the same level with a 24/25 year old athlete?? Its basic common sense and logic. Stop talking in an irrational way. Its impossible to win an argument with an irrational person. You cannot wake up a person who is pretending to be asleep. Of course, Rafa & Novak are fantastic players. How does that prove that Federer has not declined?
Only a pretentious person starts an argument assuming his point is more valid than that of others.
I have said several times that Federer's movement has declined.

How many 24/25 year old were beating Sampras, Agassi and now Federer consistently? Do you watch other sports than tennis? You know Michael Jordan won 3 championships and multiple MVP awards in his early thirties? Did you know that 39 year old Jordan scored 51 points in a game? How many young, super athletic basketball players manage that in today's league? When you're fucking good, you're fucking good.

Players make adjustments because they know they won't be young forever, they become less reliant on their athletic ability and improve other parts of their game; they become more crafty with their shot selection or become more decisive when hitting shots, take the ball early etc. Simply saying he's older that's why he's losing is an insult to the fine players who have worked very hard to surpass him in some areas of the game.


Quote:
I have seen his matches since 2001. I feel his backhand has improved over the years. Even his serve has declined. His forehand is not the same. Of course his movement is slower now. He is still a pretty good player but cannot compete with Rafa & Novak on daily basis on the same level. He used to beat Rafa regularly before outside clay till 2008. Till US Open 2010, He used to beat Novak as well at the Grand Slams (except Aus Open 2008) Now you will tell me, Federer was in his prime then and Novak & Rafa were too young. This argument can go on forever. I do not see any point
Your argument holds very little weight because young Rafa was still handing breadsticks to Federer in his prime. Why is it so hard to accept that people improve their skills and find a way to win against players who used to dominate? The argument can go on forever but so far, your argument is only based on "he's old, that's why he losing"; 32 year old Agassi beat 21 year old number 1 Hewitt in 2002 US Open semi-final. There was an 11 year gap between them. Federer only has 5 years on Nadal and people want to act like it's 80 year old Granparer vs 25 year old energetic Rafa.
No humility on this board.

Edit: fixed the ages.

Last edited by Greatness : 05-23-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Greatness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #455
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater
 
RagingLamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 5,572
RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
It worries me a moderator believes this.
Why does it worry you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I also adore the logic of I-won't-form-an-opinion-because-someone-who-has-played-the-sport-knows-better when it is obvious the guy is not in his peak form. I mean, come on...
What did you think I meant when I said "Sampras is being polite to his friend"?
__________________
Lest we forget.
RagingLamb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #456
country flag shanks
Registered User
 
shanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 494
shanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond reputeshanks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatness View Post
Only a pretentious person starts an argument assuming his point is more valid than that of others.
I have said several times that Federer's movement has declined.

How many 24/25 year old were beating Sampras, Agassi and now Federer consistently? Do you watch other sports than tennis? You know Michael Jordan won 3 championships and multiple MVP awards in his early thirties? Did you know that 39 year old Jordan scored 51 points in a game? How many young, super athletic basketball players manage that in today's league? When you're fucking good, you're fucking good.

Players make adjustments because they know they won't be young forever, they become less reliant on their athletic ability and improve other parts of their game; they become more crafty with their shot selection or become more decisive when hitting shots, take the ball early etc. Simply saying he's older that's why he's losing is an insult to the fine players who have worked very hard to surpass him in some areas of the game.




Your argument holds very little weight because young Rafa was still handing breadsticks to Federer in his prime. Why is it so hard to accept that people improve their skills and find a way to win against players who used to dominate? The argument can go on forever but so far, your argument is only based on "he's old, that's why he losing"; 35 year old Agassi beat 24 year old number 1 Hewitt in 2002 US Open semi-final. There was an 11 year gap between them. Federer only has 5 years on Nadal and people want to act like it's 80 year old Granparer vs 25 year old energetic Rafa.
No humility on this board.
First of all, do not compare basketball to tennis. Its laughable. Talk just about tennis. You have admitted that Federer's movement has declined. THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. DECLINE!! GET IT IN YOUR THICK SKULL. Nobody is taking credit away from Rafa & Novak. I do not see other players beating Federer regularly. Only Berdych, Tsonga & Soderling have beaten him in recent times in Grand Slams other than Rafa & Novak. This is also a sign of his decline. Am positive Federer in his prime would not have lost to Berdych & Tsonga at Wimbledon, of all places. Agassi was playing fantastic tennis for his age, no doubt. But no one in their right mind would think it was still Agassi in his prime. Even Federer defeated Raonic & Tomic who are many years younger to him, that does not mean he is the same player. He is unable to defeat Rafa & Novak because they are formidable players not just pretty good players like the rest of the top 10. But at the same time, if all 3 were at the same young age, you would not be seeing Rafa/Noval finals 4 slams in a row, I can guarantee that.It would be shared equally between Fed, Rafa & Novak.
shanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #457
country flag AntiTennis
Registered User
 
AntiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 22
Posts: 987
AntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I agree. It's only fedtards who want to believe Federer is in the decline to justify his losses to Novak and Rafa.
Lol , if you see Roger in his prime, is clear that he is not playing like before and is normal..he is 30..almost 31, he was better and also conditions were faster than now, but he is still playing good tennis and I think that is what Sampras is saying..that Roger is still playing good tennis to win grand slams.
__________________
Roger Federer

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #458
country flag hipolymer
Registered User
 
hipolymer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Age: 34
Posts: 8,274
hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Didn't all of you admit Roger played his best ever clay match against Rafa last year? As I recall, Fed had chances to win all 3 of the first 3 sets. And movement is most important on clay.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F0JOdLZ9DE&t=1m24s
Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .
Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis

I am a fan of no tennis player.

'Honestly' called my trolling low quality
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #459
country flag Greatness
Registered User
 
Greatness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 457
Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
First of all, do not compare basketball to tennis. Its laughable. Talk just about tennis.
First of all, old age causing decline is not exclusive to tennis; it applies to all sports so I can make any comparison to prove my point.


Quote:
You have admitted that Federer's movement has declined. THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. DECLINE!! GET IT IN YOUR THICK SKULL. Nobody is taking credit away from Rafa & Novak. I do not see other players beating Federer regularly. Only Berdych, Tsonga & Soderling have beaten him in recent times in Grand Slams other than Rafa & Novak. This is also a sign of his decline. Am positive Federer in his prime would not have lost to Berdych & Tsonga at Wimbledon, of all places. Agassi was playing fantastic tennis for his age, no doubt. But no one in their right mind would think it was still Agassi in his prime. Even Federer defeated Raonic & Tomic who are many years younger to him, that does not mean he is the same player.
2004 Federer lost to Dominik Hrbatý in Cincinnati and to Berdych at the Olympics. You think Nole 2.0 and Clay Monster would struggle against that Federer? I highly doubt that. 2006 Federer (92-5) lost 4 times to Rafa and 1 time to Andy Murray; Rafa beat him at Dubai that year when he was nowhere near as good on hardcourts as he was in 2009 (AO) and 2010 (USO). There's no denying that prime Federer is a special player but he did not face players on par with the current Novak/Rafa/Murray in most of his big wins so he looked really good blasting winners against a much weaker opposition.

Quote:
He is unable to defeat Rafa & Novak because they are formidable players not just pretty good players like the rest of the top 10. But at the same time, if all 3 were at the same young age, you would not be seeing Rafa/Noval finals 4 slams in a row, I can guarantee that.It would be shared equally between Fed, Rafa & Novak.
You can guarantee nothing, it's just your wishful thinking. I also can't guarantee nothing so let's not go that route.
Greatness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #460
country flag rocketassist
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,682
rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatness View Post

2004 Federer lost to Dominik Hrbatý in Cincinnati and to Berdych at the Olympics. You think Nole 2.0 and Clay Monster would struggle against that Federer? I highly doubt that. 2006 Federer (92-5) lost 4 times to Rafa and 1 time to Andy Murray; Rafa beat him at Dubai that year when he was nowhere near as good on hardcourts as he was in 2009 (AO) and 2010 (USO). There's no denying that prime Federer is a special player but he did not face players on par with the current Novak/Rafa/Murray in most of his big wins so he looked really good blasting winners against a much weaker opposition.



You can guarantee nothing, it's just your wishful thinking. I also can't guarantee nothing so let's not go that route.
You're forgetting Federer had just won Toronto and had to play Hrbaty two days later. His sixth match in eight days. Your beloved Nole hasn't had that problem because the byes were brought in before he reached the top of the game.

Peak Fed, with the movement, shotmaking and all-round package would put Djoker in his place. Nadal would always be awkward because of the match-up.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #461
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 13,374
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatness View Post
First of all, old age causing decline is not exclusive to tennis; it applies to all sports so I can make any comparison to prove my point.




2004 Federer lost to Dominik Hrbatý in Cincinnati and to Berdych at the Olympics. You think Nole 2.0 and Clay Monster would struggle against that Federer? I highly doubt that. 2006 Federer (92-5) lost 4 times to Rafa and 1 time to Andy Murray; Rafa beat him at Dubai that year when he was nowhere near as good on hardcourts as he was in 2009 (AO) and 2010 (USO). There's no denying that prime Federer is a special player but he did not face players on par with the current Novak/Rafa/Murray in most of his big wins so he looked really good blasting winners against a much weaker opposition.


Even Roddick put up a much better fight than Murray in his Slam finals against Federer.

FYI: Novak's achievements (or Rafa's or anyone else's) are not lessened or magnified by Federer being in his prime or not.

Federer succeeded where Sampras failed; he hasn't let the game pass him by in 'old' age and has remained competitive and adapted to the new circumstances. That only adds to his legend.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #462
country flag incognito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 186
incognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
But at the same time, if all 3 were at the same young age, you would not be seeing Rafa/Noval finals 4 slams in a row, I can guarantee that.It would be shared equally between Fed, Rafa & Novak.
That argument can go both ways, i.e. the bulk of Federer's 16 GS titles could have been shared equally between the three if they were the same age (especially if Djokovic had sorted out his physical issues earlier in his career). Federer's main trouble with Nadal and Djokovic has never been the age difference, it's always been about their ability to defend like rubber ducks against shots that would have been breathtaking winners against any other player, as well as their abilty to turn their defence into attack by exploiting Federer's weaknesses in a way that other players haven't been able to do on a consistent enough basis. In terms of pure offense, however, Federer is still at 30 years age the #1 player and he beats everyone else on that account alone. The big difference in 2011 wasn't that Federer had suddenly declined compared to 2010 or 2009, on the contrary, the difference was that Djokovic had managed to overcome his own physical limitations in 2011 by which he could was finally able to fully utilize his defensive skills against Federer. This doesn't preclude the possibility that Federer has declined somewhat from physical peak, but his game has always been more about his technique and execution of shots than about him pushing himself to his physical limits. That's probably why he has almost never been injured. I'm open to the possibility that his reflexes may be slightly slower at 30 than they were at 25, but the brain of a physically healthy 30 year old isn't all that worse off compared to the brain of a 25 year old. It boils down to speculation which might or might not have some truth to it. It could just as well be a case of him going through what any other player goes through, namely oscillations in his form.
incognito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #463
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,498
Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

You people forget FEDERER HIMSELF ADMITTED TO BE PLAYING NOW BETTER THAN EVER. Now you tell me that he is also marketing tennis...
__________________

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #464
country flag SheepleBuster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,588
SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Are Sampras and Federer even friends? Or is it like Federer Tiger friendship where they did business and sort of pretended to be friends before Tiger had his psychotic break with those women?
__________________


Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports

Dedicated to the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #465
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,498
Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
That argument can go both ways, i.e. the bulk of Federer's 16 GS titles could have been shared equally between the three if they were the same age (especially if Djokovic had sorted out his physical issues earlier in his career). Federer's main trouble with Nadal and Djokovic has never been the age difference, it's always been about their ability to defend like rubber ducks against shots that would have been breathtaking winners against any other player, as well as their abilty to turn their defence into attack by exploiting Federer's weaknesses in a way that other players haven't been able to on a consistent basis. In terms of pure offense, Federer is still at 30 years age the #1 player on tour and he beats everyone else on that account alone. The big difference in 2011 wasn't that Federer had suddenly declined compared to 2010 or 2009, on the contrary, the difference was that Djokovic had managed to overcome his own physical limitations in 2011 by which he could was finally able to fully utilize his defensive skills against Federer. This doesn't preclude the possibility that Federer has declined somewhat from physical peak, but his game has always been more about his technique and execution of shots than about him pushing himself to his physical limits. That's probably why he has almost never been injured. I'm open to the possibility that his reflexes may be slightly slower at 30 than they were at 25, but the brain of a physically healthy 30 year old isn't all that worse off compared to the brain of a 25 year old. It boils down to speculation which might or might not have some truth to it. It could just as well be a case of him going through what any other player goes through, namely oscillations in his form.
Now, you've said it. End of debate. Your post is perfect.
__________________

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios