The Federer Decline Thread - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #406
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I don't see any decline in Federer" Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatness View Post
People who say his movement has decreased at lot are exaggerating. His movement was just fine this year when he beat Rafa in straights at Indian Wells.
Looking at the Indian Wells highlights, he is still performing his running forehand down the line nicely and gets a winner with it in the 3rd game of the 2nd set to go up 30-0 on Rafa's service game; that shot requires very quick lateral movement and a lot of work needs to be put on the ball to change its direction, using enough topspin to keep it in the court.

I went back to look at some 2004 and 2005 grand slam matches of Federer and I don't see anything flagrant in terms of movement decrease.
Speaking of old highlights, I'm amazed that a 35 year old Agassi was able to chase and return Federer's forehands on the fast US Open court in 2005, breaking Serverer twice to win the 2nd set.

Federer doesn't even need to rely on lateral movement due to his attacking style of tennis and shot selection. He's fine and has improved his backhand.
People desperately trying to make it seem like Federer was 10 times faster in the early 2000s are delusional.
His shot selection and ballstriking rely on 'movement' because his ground game besides serve is entirely based on reaction speed and timing. We're not talking about him chasing down balls here. This same reaction speed hurts his return of serve and defence because he doesn't time it as fast, not consistently anyway.

His backhand has regressed as well. It was never the greatest, but it stood up well at his peak with the exception of Nadal on clay.

Another one with a Nole avatar. 'Fed's better than he ever was! Just been surpassed by Nole!!!' YAY!
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #407
country flag Greatness

Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
His shot selection and ballstriking rely on 'movement' because his ground game besides serve is entirely based on reaction speed and timing. We're not talking about him chasing down balls here. This same reaction speed hurts his return of serve and defence because he doesn't time it as fast, not consistently anyway.
You make zero sense: it is far easier to maintain reaction speed because it has to do with how fast you think, it has nothing to do with how fast you move physically. So now you're saying Federer thinks slower than he did in the past.

Quote:
His backhand has regressed as well. It was never the greatest, but it stood up well at his peak with the exception of Nadal on clay.
Out of all the tennis greats that have talked about Federer, not a single one has said his backhand has regressed, it is unanimous that it has improved. Federer has also said that over the years, his backhand improved naturally because it kept being pounded by his opponents.

Quote:
Another one with a Nole avatar. 'Fed's better than he ever was! Just been surpassed by Nole!!!' YAY!
Pointing at avatars is all you seem capable of.
Everyone can be surpassed in one area or another; Novak has a better backhand, returns serve and defends better than Federer. Federer has a better forehand, a better serve and better volleys and slice. It's a matter of how well you can play with what you excel at.

You don't have to surpass a player in every single area in order to be better or defeat him. Federer hits a 125 mph serve and Novak returns it with pace 1 foot away from the baseline; Federer is forced to hit a low percentage shot because the return is so good.
That's how the game works. One area negates another, it has nothing to do with your narrow-minded view that Novak fans only say Federer hasn't declined much to glorify Novak.
Greatness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #408
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Out of all the tennis greats that have talked about Federer, not a single one has said his backhand has regressed, it is unanimous that it has improved. Federer has also said that over the years, his backhand improved naturally because it kept being pounded by his opponents.
I think you just lost all credibility with that statement.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #409
country flag Greatness

Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechlan View Post
I think you just lost all credibility with that statement.
A moronic one-liner with no explanation vs the opinion of tennis professionals with multiple slams; I wonder who's more credible.
Greatness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #410
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
if Novak and Rafa retired today do you have any doubts Fed would win all 3 Slams this year?
yes , but it`s becasuse the rest of top-10 now are very weak......guys like tipsarevic or fish in top10 , player who are in his best years with 30 years old....

I think that fed`s decline in his physicall movement and footwork , but his forehand and backhand for me were more powerful and determinate in his peak years than now , today he is serving very well and using his experience.

but he lost that explosive tennis of his forehand , footwork and more.

anyway , I think that roger is better in his 30s than pete was , he won us open 2002 with 31 years old but had lucky with the draw and with agassi beating hewitt
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #411
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A moronic one-liner with no explanation vs the opinion of tennis professionals with multiple slams; I wonder who's more credible.
Tennis professionals who are PROMOTING THE SPORT, yeah.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #412
Banned!

Quote:
You make zero sense: it is far easier to maintain reaction speed because it has to do with how fast you think, it has nothing to do with how fast you move physically. So now you're saying Federer thinks slower than he did in the past.

Pointing at avatars is all you seem capable of.
Everyone can be surpassed in one area or another; Novak has a better backhand, returns serve and defends better than Federer. Federer has a better forehand, a better serve and better volleys and slice. It's a matter of how well you can play with what you excel at.

You don't have to surpass a player in every single area in order to be better or defeat him. Federer hits a 125 mph serve and Novak returns it with pace 1 foot away from the baseline; Federer is forced to hit a low percentage shot because the return is so good.
That's how the game works. One area negates another, it has nothing to do with your narrow-minded view that Novak fans only say Federer hasn't declined much to glorify Novak.

Reaction speed isn't to do with thinking, it's when you move your racket to the BALL! That's why he doesn't strike it flat as well as he used to be because he's a step slower when he tries to take the ball early.

That's nothing to do with the mind.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #413
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I hope nobody posted it before. If anyone did, delete this thread and give that guy a GoodRep. Even if he's Topspindoctor, he's a cool guy.

Source:
http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinio...-with-federer/

Do you agree with Pete?

Or is it just a jynx-interview like when Soderling said "Roger is the favorite" before his 2010 match in RG?
I agree. It's only fedtards who want to believe Federer is in the decline to justify his losses to Novak and Rafa.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #414
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras - okay, I guess it's a case of a pundit actually trying to give credits - not so much to Fed, but rather to promote the sport as a whole, but in a rather peculiar manner.

This thread

C'mon there. Anyone who has witnessed Fed back in 2004-2007 with working eyes knows he has declined, even as good as he still is nowadays (and yes, the past 12 months or so, he has been better than during the same period in 2009-2010 - which isn't impossible at all, as a decline usually goes with ups-and-downs. Fed is obviously in an 'up' lately).

But I'd like Sampras to be right - Federer, the only tennis player to NOT decline past the age of 30, being a dad, 74 tourmanent victories, 15 years on tour, and having some 123984712034102364 kms of mileage.
Superman, truly.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #415
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I agree. It's only fedtards who want to believe Federer is in the decline to justify his losses to Novak and Rafa.
Sure.
I reckon that you believe that athletes do not decline after his mileage & age?

That's pretty much pathetic, sorry to say so.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #416
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
where were nole when federer and nadal had his prime???

I mean , a past peeak roger ( 2008-2010 ) was capable to destroy many times nole and when nadal had his real peak , nole couldn`t did anithing too.

even a 30 years old fed was capable to defeat nole in an slam and was two points to made it again in us open.....

fed 2004-2006 should defeated nole in 3 sets in that us open 2011 and even with that slow court
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #417
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On the other hand, Nole Spam, you are at the peak of your abilities.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Looner : 05-23-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #418
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really...when Nole is 31 no one will be going around declaring he's as god as he was in 2011/2012. At that age he will be beaten on a regular basis by fitter, faster and stronger players. It will not be a shame to admit that at 31 Nole is not nearly as good as he was at 24/25...so why the different standards for Roger

To cheat aging is a power only one has achieved but if we work together I am sure we can discover the secret...
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #419
country flag comesbackatlast

comesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond repute

4 quotes in a row of the same post. Game Federer fans!

Chuck Norris Facts in Tennis - "Best of"!
comesbackatlast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #420
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
where were nole when federer and nadal had his prime???

I mean , a past peeak roger ( 2008-2010 ) was capable to destroy many times nole and when nadal had his real peak , nole couldn`t did anithing too.

even a 30 years old fed was capable to defeat nole in an slam and was two points to made it again in us open.....

fed 2004-2006 should defeated nole in 3 sets in that us open 2011 and even with that slow court
What are you saying man? you don't have a clue. Most wins happened when Nole was too young (ie. 18 years old) or off his game (2010). Nole has won against peak Roger and peak Rafa many times. Take the bandage off your eyes.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote