The Federer Decline Thread - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #211
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (What happened and when it started etc)

Lets not forget the surface speed was faster back in 2003-2005 and has just gotten slower everywhere. Fed had such great movement when the surface was much faster and he had better defense so people really forget how great it was given the speed of the courts during his prime.

If the courts were the same speed as they were back in 2003; i think people would see the difference much more prominently. Fast and big hitters were unable to bother federer even on faster courts because his movement and defense were that great.

As far as his forehand, I think today the fact that the courts have slowed down may be a bit why it looks like he has lost a touch of speed on it. Its not as consistent as in the past but im not sure exactly how much less pace it has than in his prime due to the courts, balls, etc being slowed down over the last 10 years.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #212
country flag Ajk822

Ajk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer-Agassi is fun. I'd never seen that before.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #213
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

agassi was robbed in indian wells 2004 on a so-called faster court. fed trolls didn't complain.

federer was nothing special in outdoor hardcourts but it didn't bother him the last 5 years.
even fraud clown roddick also made qfs and finals since 2008 in indian wells and miami, and beat federer, nadal and berdych in 2008 & 2010.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #214
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

The Federer decline began when he first saw Rafa Nadal on the other side of the net. He has been scared since

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #215
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Watch from 5:50 in this match between Roddick and Federer in Toronto an incredible game you are unlikely to ever see from both again, Roddick trying to hold his serve and beeing ultra aggressive (real quality tennis from Andy and still beeing broken here) and Federer with Nadal-like defense and passing shots:

Last edited by sexybeast : 03-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #216
country flag sylacauga

sylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The Federer Decline Thread (What happened and when it started etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Watch from 5:50 in this match between Roddick and Federer in Toronto an incredible game you are unlikely to ever see from both again, Roddick trying to hold his serve and beeing ultra aggressive (real quality tennis from Andy and still beeing broken here) and Federer with Nadal-like defense and passing shots:

Comparing this court to Toronto of today is like night and day. Just like Roddick's game.
sylacauga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #217
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylacauga View Post
Comparing this court to Toronto of today is like night and day. Just like Roddick's game.
Roddick's change in his game after 05 is one of the strangest happenings I have seen in tennis, from beeing boomboom Roddick to beeing a strange hybrid of part big server and part pusher.

It is not often players try to be more defensive as they grow older, they often try to compensate aging with playing more aggressive and shorter rallies, so I have seen players transform the other way around (even Sampras was a baseliner who turned pure serve and volley), but Roddick might be the only one I can think off who played more and more defensive tennis as he aged.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #218
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

People forget how insanely quick Feds was, and thus don't realise any decline.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #219
country flag sylacauga

sylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond reputesylacauga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddick's change in his game after 05 is one of the strangest happenings I have seen in tennis, from beeing boomboom Roddick to beeing a strange hybrid of part big server and part pusher.

It is not often players try to be more defensive as they grow older, they often try to compensate aging with playing more aggressive and shorter rallies, so I have seen players transform the other way around (even Sampras was a baseliner who turned pure serve and volley), but Roddick might be the only one I can think off who played more and more defensive tennis as he aged.
I think Roddick's coaches advised him to become more defensive to help counteract Fed's aggression. However, Roddick took this too far and ended up suppressing his natural aggressive game too much. The very game that got him to number one to begin with. Roddick was/is never going to be a great defensive player. His speed and footwork are not good enough.
sylacauga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #220
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
The Federer decline began when he first saw Rafa Nadal on the other side of the net. He has been scared since
You predicted he would be number 5 or 6 at the end of 2010. And everybody declines eventually.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #221
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
You predicted he would be number 5 or 6 at the end of 2010. And everybody declines eventually.
again and again.... Nole will decline too... I'm not sure what's the big fuss. I mean, did you guys really expect Rog to keep winning slams forever?
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #222
country flag EddieNero
Banned!

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

31-years old Declinerer is continually included in Slam deliberations and it tells pretty much about the depth and strengh of current era.
I'd like to remind some clowns around here so-called former GOAT Sampras was wandering outside Top 10 at Fed's age in those weak times.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #223
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
Okay. How about Nadal? When did his decline begin?
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #224
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'll chime in here.

The OP of this article was just after the 2008 Australian Open.
So in terms of majors, in the 4 years since that time Mr. Federer has:

In 16 appearances post 2008 AO (age 26-30):
4 wins
5 finals
4 semifinals
3 quarterfinals

16 QF or better
13 SF or better

In the 16 appearances prior to the 2008 Australian Open (age 22-25):

11 wins
2 finals
2 semifinals
1 3rd round exit

15 semifinals or better

Conclusion 1:
He has not been as successful in terms of winning or reaching finals since AO 2008 as he was previously.
But, he has still been right there, and the difference is probably attributal to a combination of 3 things.
  1. Playing conditions have become slower/higher bouncing
  2. Other top players improvement and consistency (notably Djokovic, Nadal) with 1 helping them more than Federer.
  3. Federer's slow fade, mostly in terms of ability to consistently focus and finish, even when conditions generally favor him (US Open).

Conclusion 2:
Still, Mr. Federer is being judged against himself and the greatest record of the Open Era.
To put it in perspective, I think most players would love to have his post 2008 AO slam record from age 26-30 yrs.

Djokovic's last 16 majors post 2008 AO from age 20-24:

4 wins
1 final
5 semifinals
4 quarterfinals
1 3rd round exit
1 2nd round exit

14 quarterfinals or better
10 semifinals or better

Nadal's last 15 majors (1 Wim. withdrawal) post 2008 AO from age 21-25:

7 wins
3 finals
2 semifinals
2 quarterfinals
1 4th round exit

14 quarterfinals or better
12 semifinals or better

They all have a chance to add to their records. It will be interesting to look at them in 10 years time.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #225
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's slow decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post

quote me in 3 years time
Funny if this come true.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote