Spring Break In Session. First Stop: Indian Wells.... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spring Break In Session. First Stop: Indian Wells....

For most colleges and universities in the US, it's Spring Break. In David-land, it's Indian Wells time.

David has never performed very well at this tournament, reaching the round of 16 twice. He only has 75 points to defend going in, so he's looking to improve on that result. Last week, he had a chance to overtake Roddick for #6 in the rankings; however, with Roddick's win in Dubai, that won't happen at this tournament. We will be watching, though....

The draw will not be available for a couple of days. When it is available, it will be posted here.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring Break In Session. First Stop: Indian Wells....

Hope this time David has a better run at IW.

I was right to wait for Tiff.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I am absolutely clueless about what will happen here & I'm actually not only referring to David.

I'm hoping for a good tournament & for a good David, of course.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

can't wait for this tournament to start, I haven't seen David play since the match against ferrero in Australia and it wasn't a very nice match to watch , best of luck David!
and Claudia you're right, with all the surprises that have already happened in the first 3 months of the season, one can't expect anything in this tournament, just hope it's going to be a good tournament with some good matches
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

David that lost at the 4th round stage at IW during each of the last 3 years, so that is a major stumbling block for him. His defeat to an injured Ljubicic (who was considering retiring in the 2nd set I think) there last year was pretty frustrating.
Good luck to him during these Spring TMS events.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
country flag canas

canas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sigmagirl91

Good luck to David

Entry: - (Career High: - )

Race: -

W: Delray Beach 10 ,
canas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
country flag Seneca

Seneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond repute

It's been really great to see David kick his season back on track with the clay swing. The tense and emotional ride of Buenos Aires obviously meant a lot for the guy and his effortless domination in Acapulco until the final was certainly promising.

What I saw from Acapulco (night matches from Bs As are nearly impossible to follow from Europe, were they even televised?) was nothing too flashy, but he was effective and in control of the matches I saw, getting through the occasional tight situation with authority. That's the kind of game that gets results and breeds a careful optimism for the next tournaments.

I'm no mind reader and have no idea of what the psyche of a pro athlete must be ready to endure, but it looks like David has snapped out of the mindset that he can hover around the top-10 on autopilot and has made the decision to focus on the IS tournies as well. Who knows, it's almost if there is an underlying seismic shift rumbling beneath the tectonic plates of the ATP Tour and the pangaea that is Roger Federer might be opening up, allowing David to make a late-career resurgence and grab a big win or two. Not to forget the Davis Cup and Olympics, etc.

Interesting statistic - Points gained from Madrid 2007 onwards:
1. Fat Dave - 1425
2. Djokovic - 1380
3. Federer - 1325
4. Nadal - 1320

There are four majors (counting Olympics) and seven MS tournaments until the Madrid points start coming off, so that's the time frame where everything's possible.

Back on topic...

The slow courts of IW/Miami suit other players better than David, I think, but the 32-seed format removes most of the dangerous floaters apart from Kiefer, Wawrinka, Llodra & Haas, who also prefer faster courts.

The 3rd round will be against one of seeds 25-32. They are:
25. Almagro
26. Nieminen
27. Kohlschreiber
28. Chela
29. Stepanek
30. Verdasco
31. Andreev
32. Lopez
Nothing too scary there either, although Lopez has been hot from late last season. A fourth round should definitely be doable again.
| Jarkko Eminem |
Seneca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

David's quarter of the draw:
(4) Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) vs BYE
Simone Bolelli (ITA) vs (WC) John Isner (USA)
Florian Mayer (GER) vs Mardy Fish (USA)
BYE vs (31) Igor Andreev (RUS)

(24) Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) vs BYE
Luis Horna (PER) vs Sam Querrey (USA)
Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
BYE vs (13) Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)

(12) Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) vs BYE
(WC) Mario Ancic (CRO) vs Gael Monfils (FRA)
Thomas Johansson (SWE) vs QUALIFIER
BYE vs (22) Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)

(29) Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs BYE
Jose Acasuso (ARG) vs QUALIFIER
Oscar Hernandez (ESP) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
BYE vs (7) David Nalbandian (ARG)
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Scott, for posting the draw.

It's not a cakewalk draw for David.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
country flag my0118

my0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad there is no spring break over here.

Anyways, I think David should beat those who are in his draw if he pulls himself together. Best of luck in IW.
my0118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a good draw, looking forward to this tournament starting.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
country flag canas

canas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond reputecanas has a reputation beyond repute

Vamoooooos Nalbi

Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
country flag canas

Nalbi
1R Bye -
2R Ernests Gulbis
3R Radek Stepanek or Jose Acasuso
4R Mario Ancic or Juan Carlos Ferrero
QF Nikolay Davydenko or Mikhail Youzhny or Lleyton Hewitt
SF Djokovic or Federer

Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
country flag Joyce_23

Joyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond repute

Great, Ferrero and Nalby are in the same quarter again....I'm getting a bit frustrated by my faves having to eliminate each other to get far in a tourney. Then again, I will be very lucky if they both reach the 4th round. His first rounds seem reasonable but you never know with David. I hope he plays a very good tourney and if he plays JC again....This time it's your turn to win, Dave!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.

Last edited by Joyce_23 : 03-12-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Joyce_23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
country flag Naina

Naina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_23 View Post
Great, Ferrero and Nalby are in the same quarter again....I'm getting a bit frustrated by my faves having to eliminate eachother to get far in a tourney. Then again, I will be very lucky if they both reach the 4th round. His first rounds seem reasonable but you never know with David. I hope he plays a very good tourney and if he plays JC again....This time it's your turn to win, Dave!
I hate it when my faves have to play each other. This time I really hope David's awake in the match and actually plays to his abilities. I dont like his draw it's awful.
Nalbandian.Safin.Mathieu.
Naina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote