Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer

He was awesome in dirty dancing and ghost.

Hope you get well soon Patrick

Patrick Swayze, the Hollywood actor and star of such films as Dirty Dancing and Ghost, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, a spokesman has confirmed.

Pancreatic cancer factbox: Tiny survival rate
In pictures: Patrick Swayze Hollywood star
But contrary to reports, the 55-year-old is not "terminally ill" with just weeks to live.

"Actor Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is currently undergoing treatment," Annett Wolf, Swayze's publicist, said in a statement.

Patrick Swayze with wife Lisa Niemi. The 55-year-old actor is said to be responding well to treatment

"Patrick's physician Dr George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic'.

The statement continued: "Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

The comments followed earlier reports in the National Enquirer and New York Post that the actor had been diagnosed with the disease more than a month ago.

The National Enquirer claimed that the cancer had spread to other organs and that Swayze had lost a dramatic amount of weight and had only five weeks to live.

advertisement
The tabloid also reported that the actor had been travelling to Stanford University's prestigious cancer centre in Palo Alto, near San Francisco, for radical chemotherapy. Dr Fisher is based at the Stanford Cancer Centre.

In early February the New York Post reported that Swayze had recently undergone a "serious gastro-intestinal procedure" at Stanford.

Swayze's mother, dancer and choreographer Patsy Swayze, echoed the doctor's optimism. "I don't really want to talk about it, but I know he's sick," she told E! Entertainment News. "But he has great doctors and a great prognosis, and that's all I can say."

Texas-born Swayze, who is married to the actress Lisa Niemi, is best known for his role as dance instructor Johnny Castle in the 1987 hit film Dirty Dancing in which he starred opposite Jennifer Grey.

The actor went on to appear alongside Demi Moore in the 1990 romance Ghost, again a massive box office hit that was nominated for an Oscar for best picture.

Pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest of all cancers, is the formation of malignant cancer cells and tumors in the tissues of the pancreas. The average life expectancy for the disease is six to nine months, with only four percent of patients living more than five years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer

I saw this story. I hope he gets well fast.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid getting well after pancreatic cancer is almost impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
I'm afraid getting well after pancreatic cancer is almost impossible
I've read it's almost an impossible mission.

Although I've also read, that his doctor said he is apparently responding very well to the treatments.

it's sad.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes for him and his family.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

I saw an early report of this yesterday and hoped that it was wrong. Pancreatic cancer is almost always terminal.

My thoughts go out to Patrick, his family, and his fans. This is just horrible, horrible, horrible news.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
country flag martine2
yawn

martine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond reputemartine2 has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible news for anyone who gets this kind of disease, actor or not.

My thoughts go to him & his family
martine2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh, poor him

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad news.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the worst cancer you can get, and this is coming from someone who works with cancer. I watched my own Grandpa die from it and it is horribly painful for the patient.
smitty8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad, I accidentally read it in the teletext yesterday and was shocked... I believe to remember that the short article there said that the doctors give him only a few more months, but maybe I got it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8 View Post
This is the worst cancer you can get, and this is coming from someone who works with cancer. I watched my own Grandpa die from it and it is horribly painful for the patient.
Reading such things always make me very sad and angry at the same time Because in my opinion, nowadays nobody should suffer from something cruel like that anymore. But palliative care isn't far enough yet in most cases and therefore, in Germany or Austria, a lot of terminally ill cancer patients who would die a painful death go to Switzerland, the Netherlands or Belgium because there are special laws or possibilities that you are helped to get something like a medically assisted suicide. If somebody is concious and sane in his mind that he knows what he's doing, this has to be respected IMO.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Pancreatic cancer is nearly always terminal because by the time it causes symptoms, it has gone way beyond the head of the pancreas and metastasized all over the place. The only cases of heard of it being cured is when it occurred in the tail of the pancreas pre-metastasis and was discovered incidentally when the doctors were looking for something else with the CT.

Not to go into palliative care, but it may be possible to give some relief with potent painkillers without the need to resort to assisted suicide. That said, some doctors in the US will overprescribe morphine, where the "intention" is pain relief but there is an understanding that the superdose will not only stop the pain - it will stop the patient's breathing. I don't quite agree with this sophistry (and I don't agree with euthanasia or assisted suicide in principle, either), but Swayze may end up doing such a thing (i.e. take a massive dose of morphium for the pain).

Anyway, this is truly sad, very, very sad.

My schoolteacher died of pancreatic cancer. I had her in the 5th grade, she was in her late 40s, full of life, etc. - and then in the middle of 6th grade (just 1/2 year later!) I heard that she had pancreatic cancer and that she didn't care to go through chemotherapy. She died several months later and they had her funeral. Totally unexpected and very rapid.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #13
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
He was awesome in dirty dancing and ghost.
Didn't realise Ivan was a girl. Point Break would have been more acceptable.
Henry Chinaski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #14
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

I read he's got some 5 weeks left...

Terrible...