ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008 - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #346
country flag Elikian

Elikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008

Yea, these options were before today's results.
Actually I did incorporate the Paris draw in it, and the stuff you mentioned, but ofcourse I might have missed some options cancelling each other out there.

But for instance the
S-S: (399): not 3 of:
Roddick: SF Paris
Ferrer: RU Paris
Simon: W-S, R-R, S-S
Blake: Win Paris
Wawrinka: Win Paris
Tsonga: W-W, R-W

Was possible (havent seen todays results yet:
A Wawrinka def Ferrer final, with Roddick losing in the Semis would complete 3 items. I will update it with today's results, that might clear it up a bit
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #347
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Well yeah, because Ferrer and Blake can't both reach the quarters, and neither can Nalbandian and Del Potro, same for Roddick/Simon so your chart still makes sense but people need to keep that in mind that like, if Blake wins, it means by default that Ferrer cannot be RU, etc. that's all That list is still extremely helpful

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #348
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Bad draw for Pics in Paris. I doubt in current form he is able to beat Kohlschreiber or Youzhny.
Yes, that's not easy (especially Kohlschreiber). On the other hand, if Ferrer does manage to win that match it might be enough since Simon, who must be near the end of his energy reserves, faces Andreev or Mathieu, which is also a pretty tough draw.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #349
country flag Elikian

Elikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond reputeElikian has a reputation beyond repute

At quick glance, today simplifies to:

Andreev
Win: (and not 1 of)
Fer 3R, Bla SF, Waw SF, Nal RU

Soderling (Lose Lyon Final)
Win: (and not 1 of)
Sim 3R, Fer 3R, Waw SF, Nal RU

Soderling (Win Lyon Final)
Win: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Sim QF, Fer QF, Waw RU, Nal W+RU

Monfils
Del 3R, Sim QF, Fer SF, Bla RU

Verdasco
Del 3R, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU

Nalbandian (Lose Basel Final)
Win: (and not 3 of)
Rod 3R, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU
RU: (and not 1 of)
Sim 3R, Fer 3R, Bla SF, Waw SF, Tso Win, Sod W+W

Nalbandian (Win Basel Final)
Win: Secured
RU: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Sim QF, Fer QF, Bla Win, Tso Win

Tsonga
RU: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Sim QF, Fer QF, Waw Win, Nal Win, Ver Win, Mon Win

Wawrinka
RU: (and not 3 of)
Rod 3R, Del QF, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla Win, Tso Win
SF: (and not 1 of)
Sim 3R, Fer 3R, Bla SF, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Sod W+W

Blake
RU: (and not 3 of)
Rod 3R, Del SF, Sim SF, Waw Win, Nal W+W
SF: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Sim 3R, Waw RU, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Mon Win

Ferrer
RU: Secured
SF: (and not 3 of)
Rod 3R, Del SF, Sim SF, Waw Win, Tso Win, Nal W+W
QF: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Sim QF, Waw RU, Tso Win, Nal Win, Ver Win, Mon Win
3R: (and not 1 of)
Sim 3R, Bla SF, Waw RU, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod W+W

Simon
Del SF, Fer RU, Bla Win, Waw Win, Nal W+W
QF: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Fer SF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso Win, Nal Win, Ver Win
3R: (and not 2 of)
Del 3R, Fer QF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod W+W
1R: (and not 1 of)
Fer 3R, Bla SF, Waw SF, Tso RU, Nal RU, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod Win
Not Playing Paris: (and not 1 of)
Fer 3R, Bla SF, Waw SF, Tso RU, Nal RU, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod Win, And Win

Del Potro
Rod SF, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla Win, Waw Win
QF: (and not 3 of)
Rod 3R, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU, Waw Win, Tso Win
3R: (and not 3 of)
Rod 1R, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso Win, Nal Win
1R: (and not 2 of)
Sim 3R, Fer QF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod W+W
Not Playing Paris: (and not 2 of)
Sim 3R, Fer QF, Bla SF, Waw RU, Tso RU, Nal W+RU/RU+W, Ver Win, Mon Win, Sod W+W

Roddick
SF: Secured
QF: (and not 3 of)
Del SF, Fer RU, Bla Win, Waw Win
3R: (and not 3 of)
Del SF, Sim SF, Fer RU, Bla Win, Waw Win, Tso Win, Nal W+W
1R: (and not 3 of)
Del QF, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso Win, Nal Win
Not Playing Paris: (and not 3 of)
Del QF, Sim SF, Fer SF, Bla RU, Waw RU, Tso Win, Nal Win

(Have to check if the Roddick QF options are still possible now, but will do that tomorrow)
edit: yes it can: Wawrinka def Ferrer final, with Del Potro losing in semis to Wawrinka, and Roddick can lose in QF just fine )

Last edited by Elikian : 10-26-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: small flaw at Soderling
Elikian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #350
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so, because only one of Blake of Ferrer can even make it to the quarterfinals, three of those things are not possible so a QF should secure it for Roddick (but I don't think he'll make it so doesn't matter )

thanks for updating

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 10-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #351
country flag Elikian

Yes it can I think: Wawrinka def Ferrer final, with Del Potro losing in semis to Wawrinka, and Roddick can lose in QF just fine.
Ofc Blake isnt there as he loses to Ferrer, but only 3 conditions have to be satisfied

I agree wawrinka - ferrer is not likely, but it's possible
Old 10-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #352
country flag Deboogle!.

oh right, gotcha.... thanks again

Old 10-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #353
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

some nice work there elikian. too bad it wont be that exciting.

i dont think any roddick fan should be worried.. there no way that ferrer going to make a semi at this tournament.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #354
country flag Elikian

Thank you both

I know, these stats make it seem to be a tight race, seeing that there is still 3 spots left for grabs in the final week, and I think even 7 people who have it in their own control just by winning the event.
But in reality most of these players have to win the event to have a shot, and there is still the likes of Murray, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic floating in those draws

I agree, Roddick fans neednt worry, but if Del Potro loses early (still injured?) then his and Simon's spots could get interesting.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #355
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your enormous contribution Elikian...must have taken you some time to work all that out, impressive!

Okay, Federer and Murray added another title to their respective collections, and Soderling finally ended his title drought, winning in Lyon, which consolidates his place inside the top 20, at #17. A fine season for Robin, and, if he can stay injury-free, there is a good chance he can appear inside the top 15, next year. Losing finalist, Benneteau, moves up to #46, while Basel finalist, Nalbandian, keeps his very slim hopes of winning a place at the TMC, alive.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #356
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

They just said on French TV ("Stade 2") that Roddick isn't going to Shanghai, is that true?!
The French presenter who said that has absolutely no clue, but the strange thing is that Simon was on the TV show and didn't look surprised when they announced that. But maybe he got it wrong.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #357
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
They just said on French TV ("Stade 2") that Roddick isn't going to Shanghai, is that true?!
The French presenter who said that has absolutely no clue, but the strange thing is that Simon was on the TV show and didn't look surprised when they announced that. But maybe he got it wrong.
Can't imagine why he wouldn't go, he mentioned it in Madrid I think, when he said that qualifying for him isn't his biggest goal for these last tourneys but that of course it's something he pays attention to and whatnot.... but nothing he does/doesn't do surprises me anymore. He's always played when healthy in the past, can't imagine why that'd change now (except that his schedule has been especially this year ). I suppose, he's coachless and in horrible form right now and it might not be the worst idea to just call it a season after Paris and take a little time to rest and regroup and stuff, but that's generally not his style. There was a lot of speculation he wouldn't show up last year b/c of the DC final, and he did and said he was never planning to stay home, so who knows.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #358
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it sounds really strange to me too. They didn't elaborate at all, it was at the end of the TV show, the (completely clueless) journalist said to Simon good luck and it's looking for you for Shanghai since I've heard from your coach Tulasne that Roddick isn't going there - and Simon was just smiling, but maybe he wasn't really realizing and he had no time to answer anyway, it was during the credits already.
They regularly give wrong news on that show, they're not reliable at all for tennis news, forget it.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #359
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

TMS Paris - the last dash to Shanghai!!!

This week: TMS Paris (100pts)

Profiling the players with a mathematical shot at qualifyingfor a Shanghai place (bar = 99pts from #8):

(+31) Andy Roddick (USA): PARIS - 99.9% assured of his place, whatever he does...would need 3 contenders behind him to advance to the SF stage, and most likely 1 of them appear in the final. Not likely...
(+16) Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG): PARIS - in a reasonable position...Ferrer & co. must reach at least the QF to overtake him, should he lose in R2; losing in R3/QF would force the bar up to a SF.
(+3) Gilles Simon (FRA): PARIS - mustn't fall earlier than Ferrer, AND hope that anyone behind him doesn't have a great week (SF or beyond, depending on the situation).

IN CONTENTION:

(-3) David Ferrer (ESP): PARIS - What happened Pics? Must out-perform Simon by 1 round / Del Potro by 2 rounds (prior to QF stage), AND hope that anyone behind him doesn't go on the rampage. If he were to fall in R3, Blake would need a SF; if Ferrer goes further, Blake & co. would need final/title win (depending on the player's points total).

NEEDING A MIRACLE:

(-31) James Blake (USA): PARIS - must reach the SF...if Simon reaches R3/Ferrer reaches QF, he must reach the final, and if either reaches the SF, he must win the title, hoping that Simon isn't in the final.
(-40) Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI): PARIS - must reach the SF...if Simon or Ferrer reach R3, he must reach the final, and if either reaches SF, he must win the title, hoping that neither is in the final.
(-51) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA): PARIS - must reach the final...if Simon or Ferrer reach QF, he must win the title.
(-57) Fernando Gonzalez (CHI): OUT
(-66) David Nalbandian (ARG): PARIS - must reach the final...if Simon or Ferrer reach R3, he must win the title.
(-73) Fernando Verdasco (ESP): PARIS - must win Paris, and hope that Simon and Ferrer don't make SF, and anyone else behind Simon and Ferrer doesn't make the final/win the title (depending on the player's points total).
(-77) Gael Monfils (FRA): PARIS - must win Paris, and hope that Simon doesn't make QF, Ferrer doesn't make SF, and anyone else behind Simon and Ferrer doesn't make the final/win the title (depending on the player's points total).
(-83) Robin Soderling (SWE): PARIS - must win Paris, and hope that Simon and Ferrer don't make QF, and anyone else behind Simon and Ferrer doesn't make the final/win the title (depending on the player's points total).
(-87) Nicolas Almagro (ESP): OUT
(-99) Igor Andreev (RUS): PARIS - must win Paris, but, more importantly, must pray that Simon and Ferrer lose their openers, and anyone else behind Simon and Ferrer doesn't make SF/final/win the title (depending on the player's points total).

Last edited by El Burro : 10-26-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #360
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So, as you can see, this year's mad dash to Shanghai is pretty much a polar opposite to last year's. Exactly a year ago, just 14pts (and therefore 1 match outcome!) separated Haas, at #8, from Ljubicic, at #15. This year, only Ferrer is close enough to really worry Simon (and maybe Del Potro...Roddick probably won't lose any sleep).