ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008 - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #271
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcempire View Post
01 (01) Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1265 (15)
02 (02) Roger Federer (SUI) 921 (--)
03 (03) Novak Djokovic (SRB) 899 (03)
04 (04) Andy Murray (GBR) 520 (11)

Very close
Not really

The only fight here is Fed-Djokovic for #2
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #272
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
Not really

The only fight here is Fed-Djokovic for #2
And that won't be much of a fight either, if Fed, as is suggested, will only turn up in Basel and the TMC...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #273
country flag rvugt
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rvugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond reputervugt has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, no points for Wawrinka this week! Now the chances for Gonzalez are getting bigger to reach the TMC!

rvugt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #274
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvugt View Post
Wow, no points for Wawrinka this week! Now the chances for Gonzalez are getting bigger to reach the TMC!
Yep...we knew that Wawrinka and Simon weren't really the biggest challengers for Shanghai, but they could have humoured us a little, this week.

To be honest, this caps off a rather disastrous few days...we could have done with Tsonga, Berdych, Gasquet etc to be playing, even if the latter two have very outside chances (and had never decided to play this week anyway).
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #275
country flag decrepitude

decrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond repute

It makes it more of an exciting last-minute-dash for the next 3 weeks, though

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on
http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #276
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

What does Nadal need to do in Madrid to clinch end of year number 1??

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #277
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

In a big hurry right now, so please excuse the following details that I'll rectify at some stage tomorrow:

(1) Nieminen's points - I think he should have 157 instead of 155...gone wrong somewhere on my spreadsheet.
(2) Schuettler's "mandatory" hold over Querrey.
(3) Last week's rankings in parenthesis...need to correct those.

Otherwise, the most important piece of information you'll note (as Judio has mentioned) is that JMDP is now within the current top 8 bracket for Shanghai...

...worth also taking a look at some of the battles happening in the #30s.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #278
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post
In a big hurry right now, so please excuse the following details that I'll rectify at some stage tomorrow:

(1) Nieminen's points - I think he should have 157 instead of 155...gone wrong somewhere on my spreadsheet.
(2) Schuettler's "mandatory" hold over Querrey.
(3) Last week's rankings in parenthesis...need to correct those.

Otherwise, the most important piece of information you'll note (as Judio has mentioned) is that JMDP is now within the current top 8 bracket for Shanghai...

...worth also taking a look at some of the battles happening in the #30s.
All rectified.

...and if, like me, you were hoping that the Shanghai battle would heat up, this week, I think it is fair to say that the results couldn't have been any worse.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #279
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All rectified.

...and if, like me, you were hoping that the Shanghai battle would heat up, this week, I think it is fair to say that the results couldn't have been any worse.
i actually think the results have thrown another possible three players into the mix.

if monfils, nalbandian and safin took out the title respectively.

monfils would jump to 254 points be ranked around 14 on the table
nalbandian would jump to 235 points be ranked around 17 on the table.
safin would jump to 217 points be ranked around 20 on the table.

so far gael and david are in the semi so they have a chance to get into the final.. marat has to beat davydenko to get into the semis.

Anyways these are all just if's this happens
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #280
country flag Tzar

Tzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond repute

if nalbo wins Stockholm. QFs in madrid and paris. he would be ranked 9-10.

i think he will do better than QF in atleast madrid or paris, considering he is defending both titles obviously.

TennisTipping - 2011 COMEBACK.
Doubles: 15.
W: Los Angeles 09', Kuala Lumpur 09', Basel 09', Houston 10', Memphis 11', Belgrade 11'
Tzar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #281
country flag facundeto

facundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond reputefacundeto has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian has anticipated that if he were to qualify for Shangai, he would not attend as he wants to prepare for the DC final.
facundeto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #282
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked82 View Post
i actually think the results have thrown another possible three players into the mix.

if monfils, nalbandian and safin took out the title respectively.
True, it has given other players (especially those 3 you mention) a slightly better mathematical chance of qualifying, but, realistically, they are still a long way off when you consider that JMDP is likely to raise the bar to at least 330pts (and, working with Ferrer and Roddick, this could go beyond 350pts imo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar
if nalbo wins Stockholm. QFs in madrid and paris. he would be ranked 9-10.

i think he will do better than QF in atleast madrid or paris, considering he is defending both titles obviously.
If he were to do that, he'd add an extra 75pts to his current total (210), giving him 285pts and a provisional ranking of #11, although obviously this would depend on what some of the players (immediately) behind him get up to over these 3 weeks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facundeto View Post
Nalbandian has anticipated that if he were to qualify for Shangai, he would not attend as he wants to prepare for the DC final.
Interesting thoughts, and thanks for sharing.

Great to hear that he is so motivated about winning the Davis Cup, but this might be a little extreme. Sure, he wouldn't want to wear himself out beforehand (or pick up an injury), but potentially having the opportunity to play at least 3 matches against the very best players in the world, two weeks before, is probably the best preparation he could wish to have, given how tough Nadal is.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #283
country flag anon57

anon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting thoughts, and thanks for sharing.

Great to hear that he is so motivated about winning the Davis Cup, but this might be a little extreme. Sure, he wouldn't want to wear himself out beforehand (or pick up an injury), but potentially having the opportunity to play at least 3 matches against the very best players in the world, two weeks before, is probably the best preparation he could wish to have, given how tough Nadal is.
I had actually been wondering the same for the Argentine players as well, whether it would be best preparation for DC final to go to Shanghai and play some matches but be more tired and jetlagged as they'll be flying from China to Argentina for the final, or skip Shanghai and fully prepare for DC final but in this case they'll go the weeks before the final without playing matches which surely isn't the best preparation for the final either.
anon57 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #284
country flag Tzar

Tzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond repute

i think that now the final is in mar de plata, he may consider yec.

TennisTipping - 2011 COMEBACK.
Doubles: 15.
W: Los Angeles 09', Kuala Lumpur 09', Basel 09', Houston 10', Memphis 11', Belgrade 11'
Tzar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #285
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon57 View Post
I had actually been wondering the same for the Argentine players as well, whether it would be best preparation for DC final to go to Shanghai and play some matches but be more tired and jetlagged as they'll be flying from China to Argentina for the final, or skip Shanghai and fully prepare for DC final but in this case they'll go the weeks before the final without playing matches which surely isn't the best preparation for the final either.
...also considering that Nadal (and Ferrer, should he qualify) is probably going to go ahead and play TMC anyway. Potentially, both nations' top 2 players might have the right to play TMC matches, so there is a level playing field there...it isn't like Nalbandian & co. are taking on Sweden, or something.

@ Tzar...yep, I don't think he liked that decision, but if he is hell-bent on winning Davis Cup, as is the impression I am getting from articles/Argie posters, he will have his rant and then focus on his preparation, as normal. He knows as well as we do that he isn't guaranteed another Davis Cup final (least of all, a home tie)...