ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008 - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #226
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked82 View Post
tsonga will have 250 points and be number 14 on monday.
Yep, you're too quick for me mate. Although he'll be #15...Djokovic closed the gap on Federer to just 22pts...there's a good chance that the battle for #2 goes into Shanghai.

In taking the Beijing title, Roddick managed to move clear of Ferrer at #6, although he languishes a fair distance (65pts) behind Davydenko, at #5. And an honourable mention to Dudi Sela for his fine (and unexpected) run this week, catapulting him from #112 to #87, with a new total of 56pts.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #227
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Roddick can get himself up to #5 by the end of the year.

Hopeful Shanghai lineup:

1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Djokovic
4. Murray
5. Roddick
6. Davydenko (wish it was someone else, but Davy's got mad points)
7. Blake
8. Del Potro
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #228
country flag MrChopin

MrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
Hopefully Roddick can get himself up to #5 by the end of the year.

Hopeful Shanghai lineup:

1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Djokovic
4. Murray
5. Roddick
6. Davydenko (wish it was someone else, but Davy's got mad points)
7. Blake
8. Del Potro
It's a real long shot, but I'd rather see Tsonga right now than DP or especially Blake. An ideal lineup within reason would include DP and Tsonga at #7 and #8.
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Nadal will be fine by australian open......
You're like a living unforced error.
MrChopin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #229
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChopin View Post
It's a real long shot, but I'd rather see Tsonga right now than DP or especially Blake. An ideal lineup within reason would include DP and Tsonga at #7 and #8.
I like Tsonga too, but he only has flashes of brilliance mixed with long periods of injury.

Blake has been solid all year

Quote:
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #230
country flag arasfan

arasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused, before Beijing, Roddick had 329, and he won so he gained 35 points, 329+35 is 364 not 352, right? or not?
arasfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #231
country flag MrChopin

MrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
I like Tsonga too, but he only has flashes of brilliance mixed with long periods of injury.

Blake has been solid all year
Blake has had a lot of early exits this year, but If I pick the more consistent of the two, Blake deserves the spot. That said, as long as Tsonga is healthy and has some time to prepare (which will be the case if he makes it), I think he's more fun to watch and a far greater threat to the top guys. In '08, Blake is 1-4 against the top four (and 0-2 w/ Gonzalez and Wawrinka, two other potential qualifiers). I think Tsonga is 3-2 and has wins over Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasfan View Post
I am confused, before Beijing, Roddick had 329, and he won so he gained 35 points, 329+35 is 364 not 352, right? or not?
Players can count only so many tournaments towards their total race points. Roddick had already filled the limited number of tournaments one can count when he came to Beijing at 324. In winning Beijing and adding those 35 points, he had to drop one of his other tournaments as he was already "full." He drops his lowest score: Memphis QF, worth 12 points. Thus 352 as opposed to 364.
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Nadal will be fine by australian open......
You're like a living unforced error.
MrChopin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #232
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChopin View Post
Blake has had a lot of early exits this year, but If I pick the more consistent of the two, Blake deserves the spot. That said, as long as Tsonga is healthy and has some time to prepare (which will be the case if he makes it), I think he's more fun to watch and a far greater threat to the top guys. In '08, Blake is 1-4 against the top four (and 0-2 w/ Gonzalez and Wawrinka, two other potential qualifiers). I think Tsonga is 3-2 and has wins over Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray.
Oh I agree completely. It was the same shit last year when Dave did absolutely nothing all year and then sweeps the indoor season and everyone on MTF wanted to change the rules and shit just because he'd be a bigger draw and a bigger threat to the other guys.

I'm not implying at all that that is what your stance is, but rest assured if Tsonga ends up at #9 and Blake and JMDP are 7 and 8 right after Bercy, expect something similar

Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #233
country flag arasfan

arasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond reputearasfan has a reputation beyond repute

Players can count only so many tournaments towards their total race points. Roddick had already filled the limited number of tournaments one can count when he came to Beijing at 324. In winning Beijing and adding those 35 points, he had to drop one of his other tournaments as he was already "full." He drops his lowest score: Memphis QF, worth 12 points. Thus 352 as opposed to 364.[/quote]

Thanks, everything is clear now!!!
arasfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #234
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

29th September - 5th October 2008.

(1/5 weeks to the end of the regular season).

This week: Metz (35pts) and Tokyo (50pts).

Profiling the players with at least an outside shot of a Shanghai place (bar = 100pts from #8):

(+131) Nikolay Davydenko (RUS): not playing
(+66) Andy Roddick (USA): TOKYO - needs SF to make any points gain (+2, to max. +30)
(+51) David Ferrer (ESP): TOKYO - needs SF to make any points gain (+7, to max. +35)
(+23) James Blake (USA): not playing
(-23) Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI): not playing
(-37) Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG): TOKYO - could score full 50pts on offer
(-38) Fernando Gonzalez (CHI): TOKYO - needs R3 to make any points gain (+1, to max. +46)
(-48) Gilles Simon (FRA): METZ - needs SF to make any points gain (+5, to max. +25)
(-56) Fernando Verdasco (ESP): not playing
(-56) Nicolas Almagro (ESP): METZ - needs SF to make any points gain (+7, to max. +27)
(-59) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA): TOKYO - could score full 50pts on offer
(-70) Igor Andreev (RUS): not playing
(-83) Mardy Fish (USA): not playing
(-84) Tommy Robredo (ESP): TOKYO - needs QF to make any points gain (+4, to max. +42)

Last edited by El Burro : 09-29-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #235
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As you can see from that, most of the guys in real contention need to have a very good run this week, while Del Potro (5th title is very possible) and Tsonga, in particular, are guys to keep a very close eye on...
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #236
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

so you basically saying simon and almagro are screwed the only way they make the tennis master cup, if they go deep in madrid and paris.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #237
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked82 View Post
so you basically saying simon and almagro are screwed the only way they make the tennis master cup, if they go deep in madrid and paris.
Unless they make it to title matches in at least one of their remaining optionals, they will have it all to do in Madrid and Paris, yes.

On this basis, really I think you can largely forget about players other than Wawrinka (purely because he is close at the moment...otherwise, no), Del Potro, Gonzalez and Tsonga offering up a stern challenge to the current #5-8 ranked players. Interestly, though, Nalbandian was 171pts off the pace at this stage, last year (and of course so nearly made Shanghai, in the end), so, for him, especially, the current gap of 114pts isn't impossible to make up (although still unlikely).
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #238
country flag gjr

gjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had a look all the entry lists a Tsonga's down to play every week from now until the end of the season. I quite fancy his chances of making Shanghai.
gjr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #239
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr View Post
I have just had a look all the entry lists a Tsonga's down to play every week from now until the end of the season. I quite fancy his chances of making Shanghai.
Great he is hungry I hope it won't finish with another injury after Paris-Bercy. He needs to say healthy to defend many points in Melbourne next year.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #240
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

What players must do to qualify for Shanghai

http://www.tennis.com/features/gener...aspx?id=147446

The mountaintop of men's tennis is a little more crowded than it's been in the past few years. The perennial Big Two of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal morphed into the Big Three with the ascendancy of Novak Djokovic at the beginning of the season. Then along came Andy Murray this summer and produced a Big Four.

Having captured all but one of the Grand Slams and Masters Series events of this season so far, this quartet has already secured spots for the season-ending Masters Cup.

That leaves four places for the remainder of the field, and a large group of players are still in contention for those slots -- after all, the recent dominance of the Big Four means there's a relatively low bar for those aspiring to be the best of the rest.

Nikolay Davydenko is the only other player who can be penciled in as almost certain to qualify, meaning that the other three berths are entirely up for grabs during the five tournament weeks that remain before Shanghai:

The likes of Andy Roddick, James Blake and recent breakout Juan Martin del Potro will be in the hunt, while a potential powerhouse like Jo-Wilfried Tsonga must do a lot of catching up first.

The ATP Champions Race measures where the players stand in the pack – here's a look at their current positions, as well as a summary of their chances:

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote