athie does The Eckental Challenger 'n' other stuff - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
country flag athie

athie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond repute
Default athie does The Eckental Challenger 'n' other stuff

Hi guys,

I’m going to The Eckental Challenger so I decided to log my trip and share the experience. Sadly no digital camera but I hope to buy one while I’m there.

Its 8.30am and I've still not finished packing. It’s the same old… I’ve a little space left so I’m just chucking random things in my suitcase…. typical!

Flight leaves Spain at 1300hrs. 1st stop is Palma where I’ll be sat around twiddling my thumbs for about an hour before I catch my transfer flight to Germany – I arrive there about 1800hrs.

Truth is I’m pretty excited about going. It’s cost me an absolute fortune but I promised Lars I’d go and see him play. I do intend to do a little sight seeing in Nuremberg too – the Imperial Castle is meant to be fantastic.

Of course I’m looking forward to eating as much German meat as humanly possible and sampling some of the best beer in the world.

OK gang…. will write soon.

athie
xx
athie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: athie does The Eckental Challenger 'n' other stuff

Hello Athie, lets hope you enjoy your stay Greet Lars from his fans here on the forum

Make sure you tell us about your experience and drink lots of German beer!

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable to have a qualifying cut at 759 in such a little challenger.

Have fun and make sure that Petzschner gets his 8 wins.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
country flag Space Cowgirl

Space Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun, athie, say hi to Lars for me!

Rainer = Lion
Kiwi = Scarecrow
Tommy = Tin Man
Flo = Dorothy

...but I still love 'em

Member #2 of Waskeholics United
Space Cowgirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
country flag Alexiana

Alexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond repute

have a nice flight and enjoy your stay in Germany
Alexiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
country flag athie

athie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond repute

Heya guys,
Best I dont mention Saturday's shopping MADNESS - erk!
It's now Sunday and I'm waiting for my taxi to go to Eckental for today's qualifying.

I bought I camera yesterday and keep stopping ppl to take pics
Will update this evening....
Old 11-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
country flag athie

Sunday 6th Novermber

Eventually make it to The Eckental Challenger about 12 noon. The ladies at the desk were extremely helpful – handed me a stack load of schedules and results etc…

Had a coffee and saw dirkydoos (Dirk Hordorff) having lunch - he lit my cigarette for me later & said it was a pleasure

Suffering withdrawal symptoms – not been able to check my mail since Friday am. Tournie Director (Markus) let me use the connect in the player lounge. Took a cple of pics – nothing particularly exciting – just players chucking their kit all over the floor really. Untidy buggers really!

I’ve been given the use of the players shuttle service between the hotel and the tournament, which was really nice of them. The taxi this morning cost me 35€ and that’s just 1 way

I’ve taken a fair few pics – the guys at the racket-stringing desk posed for me Alex Bogdanovic was mooching about - sorting his string tension.

To be honest most players kicking about today were German Qualifiers – many of whom I didn’t recognise – just their names

Tobias Kamke vs. Andreas Tattermusch (last match today on center court)– both German qualies. I didn’t stay to the end of the match but what a feisty pair. Tobias likes to scream at himself (and fire balls up to the roof) and Andreas likes to throw his racket about

Really disappointed I didn’t get to see Philipp Petzschner play – he retied from his match yesterday vs. David Klier. Why he had to quali in the 1st place is beyond me

Saw Alex (again) when I got back to the hotel and dirkydoos was wandering about with some laptop cables for Alex.

Left a message for Lars at reception…. (let me know if you want any messages passed on)

So far I'm really enjoying myself but the expense has been astronomical.

Hope everyone is ok - I will try my best to upload some pics on FTP this week - instructions are all in German!

To be continued....
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Bah! Every time I see 'Torsten' Popp, I think of someone else
Have a wonderful time, it certainly sounds like you are!

Kristen.

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Good that you wrote something about Kamke.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you are having fun.

Dominika Cibulková
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
country flag athie

Hi gang,

Couple of match reports from Mondays 1st round of singles play – not so much match reports but more observations on the players.

When I arrived went for coffee and saw Lars and Dirk. Lars was telling me about their dbles loss in Aachen on Sunday. Kinda busy so gonna catch up with him later

So! The tennis!

First up was an all German affair – David Klier quail WC – think he was a LL) vs. Sebastian Rieschick (quail)

Seb was 1st to serve and David came up with some cracking returns – to start with anyway.
David’s initial 1st service wasn’t particularly great but 2nd serve was pretty accurate.
Lovely net play from Seb but there wasn’t really enough of it which was a shame because he did seem pretty confident.
During the middle of the 1st set few unforced errors from Seb crept in and David managed to display a lovely temper tantrum
Saw the trainer out 3 (yes THREE) times for David who received various massages (got some pics for you FonseeJ) Not sure why because he didn’t appear to be suffering in any way physically.
One incident I must mention and I’m bloody sure he was speaking to me since there was nobody else sat near me – One of David’s shots did look out to be honest and Seb clearly thought it was – looked at me and starting babbling on in German – asking me to confirm if it was out of not. The umpire kept looking over at me shaking his head – I didn’t say a word. EH!
Sebs 1st serve went off the boil in the 2nd set and he served a fair few double faults – time for Seb to have a serious tempter tantrum – continual yelling then threw his racket from one end of the court to another! Seriously powerful throw aswell – luckily it didn’t hit David but Seb did receive a racket abuse warning.
Overall I’d say Seb was more in control of the match from the start – David was just far too haphazard with his shots (very rushed shots) and not at all confident at the net – spent most of his time hugging the baseline and his 1st serve was his big let down.

Sebastian Rieschick def.. David Klier 6:1 – 3:6 – 6:4

Next up was Monday’s darling – Andreas Tattermusch (Ger qualifier) vs. Jasper Smit (Ned)

Smit’s 1st serve was pretty diabolical – really did feel sorry for the guy too – Andreas had all the support from the few people in the audience. Jasper did attempt to serve and volley a few times but it wasn’t Henman calibre I’m afraid.
Jasper did have a very nice one handed backhand but it lacked power – return of serve was a little scrappy too – he seemed very nervous! Kinda reminded me of Lars in that respect.
Andreas had a nice return of serve and overall showed some class shots – he’s going to be one to watch on The Challenger circuit for me. He showed a lot more confidence which I personally feel was a big bonus.

Andreas Tattermusch def. Jasper Smit 6:3 – 6:2

Didn’t see all this match but I did want to see some of Daniel Brands (WC). He played Pavel Snobel (CZE)

Pretty slow start from both players – occasional nice net play from Snobel.
Have to say Daniel was very impressive. Lovely service action (reminiscent of Roddick’s short arm action) – little rushed but great placement (produced fair few aces) Very controlled shots overall and a few serve and volleys. Really nice physique aswell – thought I’d better mention that FonseeJ
Snobel’s serve was quite slow and a little constrained. Lots of unforced errors for this guy aswell. He didn’t appear to run as much as Daniel either. I noticed a lot of the time he was just taking a few steps and slowly returning the ball. It’s not a criticism as such but I did sometimes think he lacked – life!
Was also impressed with Daniels 1 handed backhand – OK not Rogi standard or mine (haha). Showed a lot of passion in his play – not seen him play before but he’s going to be another one to watch for me.

OK girls….. sat in the player lounge next to Alex Waske – don’t all scream at once!
What a cheeky grin he has.

Today’s matches are going to be fantastic – I hope! Lars is 1st up on c.court.

Will write soon – take care guys

athie
xx
Old 11-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #12
country flag athie

Daniel Brands lost apparently
Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #13
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

hello athie you're coolest one ever , you know why... yeaa the guy lost it made me really unhappy... but life goes on, maybe Kubot from Poland and Korolev from Russia can do better
and you should have argue about the price in the taxi, i bet the driver was turkish, they almost feel offended when you don't argue... in aachen one gave me a lift for a polish sweet.
on the way back i did have to pay but not much while the way was really long...
and yeah from the hotel to the courts i had a shuttle as well... but i was working there.
btw are you there as a tourist or you work too?
kiss.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
country flag JMG

The first two matches were qualifying finals.

Gremelmayr vs Wang is the best match today. And of course Petzschner in doubles.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
country flag athie

Heya gang,

One of the matches I’d hoped to see yesterday was Waske’s – something came up so unfortunately I didn’t

Anyhoo…. Arrived about 11am on Tuesday and grabbed a coffee – usual routine. The odd player kicking about but kinda quiet since no matches for another hour. Whilst had coffee read ATP Player Zone newsletter – few Masters Cup player stats and that was it.

Marcus the Tournie Director is mooching about – really nice guy and very approachable.
Mike Berrer just walked in – lovely guy – looking forward to his match later on today.

OK 20 mins to go to Larsi time! Made my way to c.court (after yapping to Lars) and a few guys practising – Alex Waske was fiddling with his mobile court side.
10 mins to go – not many people about – 3 people including me on my side of the court and 5 on the other. Least I have a perfect view.
Umpire just measuring up and on walks Lars and Marko Zelch the German Wildcard. The guy is rolling the court with his industrial brush sweeper thingymebob.

I cant really say a great deal about this match – I appreciate Lars was playing a WC and I would have expected him to win but Lars really was a class act today. Lars won 6:0 – 6-2.
Poor Marko – just no chance he was going to chip into Lars – he was in great shape and on top form. I will say this for Marko tho – what a great attitude this guy had. He knew he didn’t have a chance and well…. there was no 1st serve – even if there was I could have counted them on one hand. Marko just kept laughing to himself wondering what on earth he had to do here – nothing to be honest – nothing he could have done.
Lars said to me afterwards he hopes that his 2nd round match is like that – so do I!

AHHHH here was one I wanted to see – the wubly jubly Mike Berrer and Austrian Rainer Eitzinger.

Mike’s quite a stocky guy but he’s a lot of strength and extremely energetic. Lovely 1 handed backhand and he’s a leftie like me!
Mike’s 1st serve can be a bit iffy at times – bit like Rainer’s too.
Berrer very much reminds me of Waske with regards his attitude. He seems to expend more energy in getting very frustrated with himself – He really does have a lot more potential but this ‘rage’ issue is one of his biggest letdowns. Like so many other players – they are their own worst enemies and who said tennis wasn’t mental!!!!!

Pause here for Berrer being an argumentative sod towards the umpire.

Rainer is quite short and slight in build but he’s ready to chase down every shot. Really fast and very powerful strokes. Pretty calm on the whole. Nice service action and a lot of spin on the ball.

I have to say I don’t know how Berrer won this but I was really pleased for him – fact is he’s a nice guy but he’s one of these guys who really needs to keep his rage in check. GO MIKE!

Yipeee another argumentative player – Seb Rieschick vs. Tobias Summerer.

Temper tantrum Seb just rocks – he’s so damn funny to watch. He’s full of rage (remember he threw his racket from one end of the court to the other) but full of passion – really do like this kid.

Pause here for lunch – sorry I was starving!

When I got back Seb was having a strop – what a surprise!
Little disappointed in Summerer’ play – he had the support of the crowd but I couldn’t help cheer for Seb.
Tob’s play was pretty bog standard to be honest – I don’t dislike the guy – he’s got definitely got a lot of potential but I wouldn’t say his play was particularly exciting.

Summerer d. Rieschick 6-3 7-6 (Seb worked his ass off in the TB btw)

Denis Gremelmayr vs. Yeu-Tzuoo Wang

Only know the bare bones about these two players. Not particularly exciting match. Wang is very talented (superb footwork) but I didn’t find him exciting to watch – not sure that makes any sense really!
Bit of a baseline bashing session – they did rush the net twice which made for great play but that was it folks.

athie
xx