<<< Turkish Tennis >>> - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
country flag Bashak

Bashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: <<< Turkish Tennis >>>

You're welcome! Btw the videos are not mine, I just found them on youtube.

Marsel has some headshots taken at the US Open:

Suicide Tennis Winner: Doha 2010, Basel 2009 FITD Winner: Auckland 2012, Nice 2010, London WTF 2009, Tokyo 2009, Roland Garros 2009, Paris 2008, Basel 2008 TT Finalist: Nottingham 2009, Savannah 2009, Marrakech 2011. TT Doubles Winner: Sarasota 2011 (w/ coasterman9 TT Doubles Finalist: Bergamo 2011 (w/ leoneo), Fergana 2009 (w/ catatonia) DTT Doubles Winner: Miami 2011 (w/Abollo)
Bashak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
country flag Bashak

Bashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond repute

There is an article about Marsel on the ATP website:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...ner-Ilhan.aspx

Quote:

US Open

Ilhan Creates History For Turkey
Day 1
by Paul Macpherson | 31.08.2009

Marsel Ilhan created history at Flushing Meadows Monday when he became the first Turkish player to ever win a main draw match at a Grand Slam tournament. In truth, Ilhan had created history late last week when he won three qualifying matches to become the first Turkish player to ever take his place in the main draw of a major. Upon qualifying, Ilhan set himself the goal of reaching the third round and is now half way there after rallying to beat experienced Belgian Christophe Rochus 3-6, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5 after serving 15 aces and breaking serve eight times.

Ilhan, 22, was born in Uzbekistan but moved with his mother to Istanbul five years ago for a better life and to further his tennis career. “I love Turkey very much and I do everything for Turkey. I have Turkish roots, I have so many friends there and the countries are very similar in their cultures. And the Turkish Tennis Federation has supported me for the last two years, which has allowed me to travel with my coach [John Uner]. I couldn’t find a sponsor in Uzbekistan.”

Ilhan, who lost his father at 14, says that he could afford to play only a handful of domestic tournaments each year and that finding money for equipment was a constant struggle. “My family lived on about $50 a month, so there was no chance to travel to tournaments. Racquets, balls, string, courts… everything was a problem. String was the biggest problem. It was so expensive and there were times I couldn’t practise because I couldn’t get my racquet strung. Balls were also a problem. I couldn’t afford to practise with new balls before a tournament. And we just had one indoor court in Samarkand, with 20 or 25 guys wanting to play.”

“I think if I had the opportunities that many players have, that I could be a Top 50 player by now. But I want to play for a minimum of 10 years, so I have time. Now that I have had this success I want more, more, more. “

In the second round Ilhan will play big-serving American John Isner.

Suicide Tennis Winner: Doha 2010, Basel 2009 FITD Winner: Auckland 2012, Nice 2010, London WTF 2009, Tokyo 2009, Roland Garros 2009, Paris 2008, Basel 2008 TT Finalist: Nottingham 2009, Savannah 2009, Marrakech 2011. TT Doubles Winner: Sarasota 2011 (w/ coasterman9 TT Doubles Finalist: Bergamo 2011 (w/ leoneo), Fergana 2009 (w/ catatonia) DTT Doubles Winner: Miami 2011 (w/Abollo)
Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #18
country flag Bashak

Against Christophe Rochus - Warm up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6zw79zhWYg

Old 09-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
country flag Bashak

Marsel Ilhan qualified for the Bangkok Main Draw. He was seed number 7 in the qualifying draw. He won all his qualifying matches in straight sets:

QR1: ILHAN, Marsel TUR def.RATIWATANA, Sanchai THA 75 75
QR2: ILHAN, Marsel TUR def. SIRIBUTWONG, Peerakit THA 62 64
QRF: ILHAN, Marsel TUR def MEFFERT, Dominik GER 75 63

His first round match is on Tuesday. He will play Benjamin BECKER (GER).
Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
country flag Bashak

Marsel won his second ever ATP main draw match by beating Benjamin Becker (GER) 46 76 63 in Bangkok

Here is a photo gallery of his final round qualifying match against Meffert from the Thailand Open tournament website.
http://www.thailandopen.org/photo_gallery.php?gsid=35

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #21
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashak View Post
Here's a short clip of Marsel right after his win over Mello. You can hear a woman sobbing with emotion in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVrmjUkZNvE
LOL!!!! Who is this guy in orange shirt on the video? Is it his coach? He was talking to him on russian, or more exactly, it was russian obscene language.
He said something like "Well done. But the last game! You had to f...k this f...king last game (he means - to end this game with very strong shots - oh yeah, russian obscene language is very rich ), what the s..t you did there, hell!"

DanaKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
country flag Bashak

I had no idea. that is hilarious. No the guy in the orange shirt is nat his coach. His coach is tall and has a shaved head, probably the guy to the right of the orange shirt guy. he must be a friend or just another crazy russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
LOL!!!! Who is this guy in orange shirt on the video? Is it his coach? He was talking to him on russian, or more exactly, it was russian obscene language.
He said something like "Well done. But the last game! You had to f...k this f...king last game (he means - to end this game with very strong shots - oh yeah, russian obscene language is very rich ), what the s..t you did there, hell!"

Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Then, a friend I believe. He was one of the first Ilhan hugged after match. And I think he is Uzbek - he looks like Uzbek, and a lot of Uzbek people speak russian even without any accent. I suppose Marcel also have to be very fluent in russian.
DanaKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #24
country flag Bashak

He looks turkish for all I know . Marsel also speaks russian. He was on one of the minor/sports oriented turkish national channels with his coach right after he came back from New York. He said he wants to improve his English because he had to speak a lot during US Open. He is also improving his Turkish, as far as I'm concerned he speaks turkish fine, but it's a little broken. but I would not say he has a foreigner's accent. Of course he's been living in Istanbul for a long time now. I think he understands much better than he speaks. Anyways, Marsel actually looks like a very typical Turkish young man. If I didn't know he was Uzbek, I would have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
Then, a friend I believe. He was one of the first Ilhan hugged after match. And I think he is Uzbek - he looks like Uzbek, and a lot of Uzbek people speak russian even without any accent. I suppose Marcel also have to be very fluent in russian.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #25
country flag Пока

Пока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I've seen Marsel play a couple of times now. For the first time at the USO, and I am watching him again as he plays Melzer. I really like his game and think he will become a favourite of mine in the future.

Can anyone tell me how I should pronounce his name though? Thanks!
Пока is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
country flag Bashak

Marsel lost to Jurgen Melzer
His name (Marsel Ilhan) is pronounced MAR-(as in March)-CELL ILL-HON-(as in Honey). The CELL and ILL are a bit more flat and shorter than English but I don't really know how else to explain.
Nice to see a possible ne fan How is your name pronounced by the way, Poka??

Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
country flag Bashak

Marsel's Schedule for the rest of the season from Tenisci (thanks a bunch )
Quote:
Tokyo
Tashkent
St.Petersburg
Stockholm

Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #28
country flag Пока

Пока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond reputeПока has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marsel lost to Jurgen Melzer
His name (Marsel Ilhan) is pronounced MAR-(as in March)-CELL ILL-HON-(as in Honey). The CELL and ILL are a bit more flat and shorter than English but I don't really know how else to explain.
Nice to see a possible ne fan How is your name pronounced by the way, Poka??
Thanks, I think I know how to say it now.

My name is James.
Пока is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
country flag Tenisci

Tenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond reputeTenisci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Marsel's Schedule for the rest of the season from Tenisci (thanks a bunch )
also in Astana, too
Tenisci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
country flag ezgi

ezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond reputeezgi has a reputation beyond repute

Marsel is in MD at Tokyo.
He will play against Monfils in R1.
Good Luck Marsel.

Last edited by ezgi : 10-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.
ezgi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote