The "Thanks for ending it with a big fat step back" Spring HC Thread. - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #106
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Let's Just Hope He's Still in the top 10 When it's Over" Spring HC Season Th

I think it's good. Last year's court was way too fast. I think the quotes from Andy in here are old, but, not a bad article so I'll post it
=======================
TENNIS
The vanishing American star player
Roddick, one of few ranked U.S. men, blames lack of drive

John Shea, Chronicle Staff Writer

(02-16) 18:20 PST -- Nine of the top 10 ranked Americans have committed to this week's SAP Open in San Jose. A showcase for the top U.S. talent? Well, sure. But a closer look shows that only two Americans are ranked in the top 60 and just six are in the top 100.

It's no secret men's American tennis isn't what it was in the glory days from Connors/McEnroe to Sampras/Agassi, whether it's because kids are encouraged to gravitate toward team sports or lack the hunger to be tennis champions, if they choose the sport at all.

Andy Roddick, the top-ranked American and No. 6 in the world, seems to lean toward the latter theory.

"There's no substitute for hard work," he said. "To be honest with you, that's one of the things that lacks when you see the young American players. It puts a different dynamic on things when you're playing tennis to find a way out of the country as opposed to playing for fun."

Roddick, born in Omaha, Neb., and raised in Austin, will be the top seed in San Jose. New Yorker James Blake (12th in the world) is the second seed. The next highest ranked American is 62nd (Sam Querrey), then 73rd (Vincent Spadea), 77th (Mardy Fish) and 95th (Donald Young).

Roddick is the last American who's active on tour to win a Grand Slam singles title, and that was the U.S. Open back in 2003. The only American with more than one major title who'll play in San Jose this week is Pete Sampras, who's facing Germany's Tommy Haas in a Monday exhibition. Sampras has been retired six years.

Roddick, 25, envisions a bright future for his countrymen. He was asked about the development of Querrey, 20, and Young, 18.

"I think it's exciting," Roddick said. "I think maybe for the first time since our group of Robby (Ginepri) and Mardy and myself, there are some guys you can look toward the future with, even (John) Isner, who's a little bit older (22) but new on the scene as far as tennis years go.

"That being said, I think they have a lot of work to do. At least it's something we can all talk about and be hopeful about."

American Jan-Micheal Gambill, 30, who ranked as high as 14th in the world in 2001, is coming off back and shoulder injuries and will play doubles this week. He trained with Roddick and Roddick's coach, Jimmy Connors, in Hawaii before the Australian Open, which ended for Roddick in a disappointing third-round loss to No. 29 Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany.

Gambill called Roddick "a great player with a great work ethic. He's in as good a shape as I've ever seen him." He agrees with Roddick that players from some other countries tend to be hungrier "to make a life for themselves." But he also said of U.S. tennis, "I don't think we're in a drought."

He added, "I think tennis is actually on the rise a little bit in this country. You always have the ebb and flow. When I first came on the tour, I was that next young American. I had 50 press conferences. They wanted to know, 'Who's the next guy? Who's the next guy?'

"Being in the top 100, top 150, it's a good accomplishment."

Roddick is coming off a five-set victory over Austrian Jurgen Melzer (in front of hostile fans in Vienna) in the Davis Cup opener for the defending champion U.S. team, which won the cup in December.

Melzer is in San Jose this week, the No. 6 seed.

"We played on clay, which doesn't really fit his game," Melzer said of the Roddick match. "But he's still a tough competitor, still one of best players on tour. It takes a lot to win constantly at that level. Of course, he's not winning majors, but he was in the finals at the U.S. Open and twice in the finals at Wimbledon (losing to Roger Federer each time). Those are all big achievements, and he probably doesn't get enough credit for that."

Malzer realizes Roddick is the great American hope, but he said of Americans, "They're spoiled because of Agassi and Sampras and McEnroe and everyone else. But nowadays, there's a guy out there - Roger, I think his name is - who dominates men's tennis and basically wins everything that's not on clay. Nowadays, it's very tough for other people to win majors."

Roddick turned pro in 2000 and has won 23 singles titles and $13.3 million in prize money. Asked to evaluate his progress in recent years and whether he has noticed an improvement in his game, Roddick said, "I'm definitely a more complete player. At the same time, I used to cover up my backhand and volleys because I couldn't do them that well. Now that I can, sometimes I haven't fired my forehand as much as I should. I think it's just a matter of finding the balance between the two."

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #107
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Let's Just Hope He's Still in the top 10 When it's Over" Spring HC Season Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
poor me? You mean poor Larah? Well I am poor too but i've made just enough to be able to afford 4 days at IW on the first weekend. Poor Larah indeed good luck with everything, girl
At least somebody gets to go & represent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate87 View Post

Larah
I like hugs

Quote:
Roddick turned pro in 2000 and has won 23 singles titles and $13.3 million in prize money.
I haven't fired my forehand as much as I should. I think it's just a matter of finding the balance between the two."
&
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #108
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
At least somebody gets to go & represent!
but it would be fun if you could go too

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #109
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

:Le sigh:

I know, i long to go to an outdoor tournament, plus it seems like such a gorgeous venue.

Me and my sunglasses are disappointed.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #110
country flag Deboogle!.

maybe LA in the summer? no hotel costs and cheaper tix? qualies are free and the players are there practicing...

Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #111
country flag otowngurl86apa

otowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a chance to look at the draw, and Spadea pulled out, so Andy's playing Guccione now.

to: Fish, Roddick, Bryans, Isner, Delic, Querrey, Haas, Safin, Ancic, Johannson
otowngurl86apa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #112
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. Wow.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #113
country flag partygirl

Quote:
maybe LA in the summer? no hotel costs and cheaper tix? qualies are free and the players are there practicing...
Yeah, as long as i am not moving during, that would be my best bet so far.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #114
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Yeah, as long as i am not moving during, that would be my best bet so far.

Poor Vinnay. Guccione might actually be a more dangerous match considering his huge serve.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #115
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like hugs
me too, but not right now cause you'll catch my flu
Quote:
Guccione might actually be a more dangerous match considering his huge serve.
agree

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #116
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Deb.....I don't think I'm going to be able to go. I have so much going on next month. I'm so bummed.

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #117
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

Watch-out for tie-breaks in the 1st round...
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #118
country flag dibs

dibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond reputedibs has a reputation beyond repute

Guccione then, possibly, Nishikori!?! I'm not feeling too confident about this tournament.
dibs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #119
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffeygirl View Post
Deb.....I don't think I'm going to be able to go. I have so much going on next month. I'm so bummed.
okay I'll miss you there good luck with everything

Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #120
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Davis Cup A Source of Inspiration
February 16, 2008

Joel Drucker

No event in tennis stirs up passion the way Davis Cup does. "Davis Cup is rough because you're going to be in Austria one week playing on clay, and then you're indoors on the West Coast playing," two-time SAP Open champion Andy Roddick said last week. "Ninety percent of the time when we're out there playing regular tournaments it's for pretty selfish motives: it's our ranking, it's our prize money, it's our schedule. It kind of all revolves around us. I really kind of embrace the team aspect. Representing your country is an honor."

Roddick is just one member of the 2007 Davis Cup-winning U.S. team that will be coming to the HP Pavilion to compete in the 2008 SAP Open. He'll be joined in San Jose by his teammates, James Blake, Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, the entire quartet still shaking a bit of clay off their feet from last week's 2008 opening tie in Austria.

It's tricky to determine the impact Davis Cup has on a player. In the same interview, Roddick also noted that, "As far as how it translates to the regular tour, I'm not sure if it does or not. It's just a totally different scenario. There aren't too many parallels."

There's no question that Roddick is right when assessing the scenario. Davis Cup's three-day, rapid-fire, high-energy format is quite different from the day-in, day-out grind of the tour. Davis Cup is a place where players you've scarcely heard of can raise their games to tremendous levels. The presence of often highly-partisan crowds - particularly in places like Italy, Spain and Latin America - can also add extensive spice. That indeed is a dramatic contrast to the more sedate atmosphere of most ATP events.

But perhaps in some ways Roddick is selling himself short. For the battle test of Davis Cup surely can carry a crossover benefit to competing elsewhere. Roddick's road win last year on clay versus Tomas Berdych was one of the finer efforts of his career. Certainly that can inspire him on other occasions.

And even more importantly, Davis Cup success is vital to the confidence of James Blake. Coming into last year's Davis Cup final versus Russia, Blake was the man on the hot seat. But he played one of the greatest matches of his life to beat Mikhail Youzhny and put the U.S. up 2-0.

Blake followed up that effort with a fine run to the quarters of the Australian Open and another impressive Davis Cup victory last weekend over Austria's Stefan Koubek. Playing on red clay, unquestionably his worst surface, Blake was down 7-5, 5-2 - and then went to win 5-7, 7-5, 6-2, 6-2.

Said U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe, "I just couldn't be happier with the way he just stayed in there and kept believing in his game and kept fighting and going for it."

Blake too is quite aware that the experience of competing in Davis Cup for so many years has sharpened his game. As he said following the win over Koubek, "Just because I'm down a set and a break doesn't mean I can't come back and win. Just keep playing my game and going after my shots. Just knowing there are going to be so many ups and downs. That experience is huge. It's easy to say; it's not as easy to do. When I was 21, 22, even probably 24, 25, there's no way I had that ability mentally to just hang in and play each point and get it all back with one big winner. I'm really happy with the way I competed there and didn't try to get ahead of myself. Just play one point at a time. It takes its toll on the opponent."

The Bryans, of course, are the ultimate team players, joined since conception to work together and, eventually, play together. "We come to play no matter what the score is," said Bob shortly after he and Mike clinched last weekend's tie with a convincing 6-1 6-4, 6-2 victory over Austrians Jurgen Melzer and Julian Knowle. "Doesn't really make a big difference for us, it's still a sleepless night for us."

But while current Davis Cup team members Roddick, Blake and the Bryans are the most visible benefactors of these high-stakes victories, others coming to San Jose have also been inspired by Cup play. Mardy Fish has played ten Davis Cup matches and would love nothing more than to even knock off his close friends Blake and Roddick to earn a spot back on the squad. Robby Ginepri won a vital Davis Cup match in 2004 from two sets to love down. And John Isner gained experience last fall as a practice partner for the U.S. prior to the final (a role also played by Fish and Ginepri and, in the past, by another SAP Open player, Sam Querrey). Speaking in large part as the leader of the American team, Roddick says that, "Davis Cup, it's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it's something that I'm passionate about."

On Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. at HP Pavilion, the SAP Open will pay tribute to the American Davis Cup team and its 2007 Davis Cup triumph. On-hand will be all members of the winning team plus the Davis Cup trophy itself.

http://www.sapopentennis.com/news/news.asp?story_id=224

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote