Who is going? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #46
country flag Fitz

Fitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is going?

Hi! I have a couple questions in case I can go.

Is it really true no backpacks are allowed? That is so pathetic if it is true.

Second, why doesn't the USO list any sort of camera policy. I've heard getting cameras in are hit or miss depending on who checks your bag but if they don't state a policy, how can they do that? I only have a 55-200mm lens, so I'm hoping that is acceptable if I go.

Cheers everyone!
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #47
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Hi! I have a couple questions in case I can go.

Is it really true no backpacks are allowed? That is so pathetic if it is true.

Second, why doesn't the USO list any sort of camera policy. I've heard getting cameras in are hit or miss depending on who checks your bag but if they don't state a policy, how can they do that? I only have a 55-200mm lens, so I'm hoping that is acceptable if I go.

Cheers everyone!
This link should help:

http://www.usopen.org/visiting_the_o...iNewsid=288688

That's right, they don't allow backpacks. Regular cameras it appears are still fine. If you do bring a bag be prepared to wait to get through what can be a VERY long security line. The lines for people not carrying anything in are much faster.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #48
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

And the long security line is why they don't allow backpacks. One compartment bags are much quicker and easier to search.

If there was someone in front of me in line with a backpack, I would throw something at them.

And I would not be the only one Backpacks have a ridiculous amount of pockets.
College basketball sucks.
savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #49
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe somebody already said this but I didn't see it. It's a lot faster to get in if you go to the South Gate, the entrance farthest from the subway. The line is about 75-80% shorter and sometimes there is no wait at all while the front entrance (East Gate) is jam packed. You have to walk maybe 3 minutes more but I would rather spend 3 minutes walking through a park to save 15 minutes of standing still on a crowded line.

Personally I never heard of anybody having a problem bringing in a camera, a friend of mine has a huge Hubble Telescope camera that he brings in, and nobody's ever bothered with my little digital camera.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #50
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
Maybe somebody already said this but I didn't see it. It's a lot faster to get in if you go to the South Gate, the entrance farthest from the subway. The line is about 75-80% shorter and sometimes there is no wait at all while the front entrance (East Gate) is jam packed. You have to walk maybe 3 minutes more but I would rather spend 3 minutes walking through a park to save 15 minutes of standing still on a crowded line.

Personally I never heard of anybody having a problem bringing in a camera, a friend of mine has a huge Hubble Telescope camera that he brings in, and nobody's ever bothered with my little digital camera.

This is true I have done this myself to skip huge lines

And I've never had problems with my cameras either... I mean most tennis tournaments just don't want you bringing in cameras with tripods
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #51
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen Stinks View Post
This link should help:

http://www.usopen.org/visiting_the_o...iNewsid=288688

That's right, they don't allow backpacks. Regular cameras it appears are still fine. If you do bring a bag be prepared to wait to get through what can be a VERY long security line. The lines for people not carrying anything in are much faster.
It says there flags aren't allowed, do I presume they're not that strict on this? I want to bring my Scotland flag for Muzza

And also, someone told me you can't take water inside, but there doesn't seem to be any rule on that list, can you clarify this please?
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #52

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Last year they were giving away free bottles of one of the vitamin water type drinks before you walked across the boardwalk to the main entrance. I hadn't finished it prior to walking in and thought they might make me throw it out (I think they did make me discard a plastic bottle the previous year prior to entering), but they let me walk right thru this time. I think that officially you're not supposed to bring any bottles in (definitely not glass), but it's probably hit or miss depending on who the usher is. The main thing is they probably want to make sure that no glass and no booze come in.

So, if you like to drink a lot of water, and you will if it's a steamy day, worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy a bottle of Evian for 5 or 6 bucks when you get in, and then you can just refill it at the water fountains the rest of the day. I think the water fountains are relatively decent and reasonably cold, but you Brits don't like your water cold anyway, right?

If I'm there one of the days you're around, I'll buy you a $10 beer, Adam.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #53

As for the flags, I don't think it should be a big deal, and have seen plenty in the past. Unless it's a recent change because maybe they think it reduces the chances of fights taking place. Who the hell knows. Again it probably depends more on avoiding an usher with a wire brush stuck up his...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #54
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen Stinks View Post
Last year they were giving away free bottles of one of the vitamin water type drinks before you walked across the boardwalk to the main entrance. I hadn't finished it prior to walking in and thought they might make me throw it out (I think they did make me discard a plastic bottle the previous year prior to entering), but they let me walk right thru this time. I think that officially you're not supposed to bring any bottles in (definitely not glass), but it's probably hit or miss depending on who the usher is. The main thing is they probably want to make sure that no glass and no booze come in.

So, if you like to drink a lot of water, and you will if it's a steamy day, worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy a bottle of Evian for 5 or 6 bucks when you get in, and then you can just refill it at the water fountains the rest of the day. I think the water fountains are relatively decent and reasonably cold, but you Brits don't like your water cold anyway, right?

If I'm there one of the days you're around, I'll buy you a $10 beer, Adam.
Thanks for the help mate

Well, I'm not a big fan of water full stop to be honest, but us Brits also don't like the heat and I'm led to believe NY can get a bit hot and humid in the summer

I didn't realise there are water fountains, I'll just have to kick all the Yanks out the way to get there, another thing us Brits I don't like doing is queuing.

$10 a beer?!? Almost Wimbledon-esque!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #55
#freeviktor

It's not $10. I seem to recall it only being $8 or so

The queues for the water fountains are longer than the women's bathroom line, generally
Old 08-06-2008, 06:05 AM   #56
country flag Fitz

Fitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

So I can't take a backpack in, but I can carry in a small duffle bag as long as it "fitz " their specifications?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #57
#freeviktor

As long as it fits the specifications you should be fine
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #58
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

I think my friend will invite me, otherwise I will go with my brother hopefully!
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #59
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troickitard View Post
It's not $10. I seem to recall it only being $8 or so
Splendid, I can get drunk on $80
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #60
country flag fedsfan1

fedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute

its true...no backpacks are allowed....of any size

but you can bring water. I always come with at least 2. I never had a problem.

& snoo foo is right...South Gate much faster to enter. I always use that gate since I park on that side of the park.

as for flags....just stuff it in your pockets or under your clothes...they don't frisk you at the gate...LOL

enjoy the USO everyone!!!
fedsfan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote