Who is going? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #31
country flag fedsfan1

fedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderthunder View Post
Hello! I'd love it if you could give me some advice.
The situation is this: my father and I will be in and around New York this year from the morning of September 4th onwards. As a HUGE tennis fan, I am very keen to go to the US Open during this time. However, trying to buy tickets from overseas (where I am now) online through sites (whatever came up on google, ticketnow, tickco, etc.) has proven very expensive. The matches that I am looking at in this time period are the mens quarters or semis. From reading online and looking at pics, the upper promenade seems WAY TOO FAR AWAY to see anything, but even these tickets are selling for $150-$250! It also seems that it isn't impossible to sneak your way down to loge seats if it isn't crowded - is this true and what are my chances in the quarters? Given that I do not want to spend upwards of $300 for a average-at-best seat, what are my options? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Hello thunder from down under.....

Your best option is to go to the USO box office as early as you possibly can the day you want to go. Box office opens at 9am & usually tickets become available for that day. & you can buy your tickets for other days at the same time. (if they are available) Not sure what kind of seats you will get in AA but it will get you in & you will be able to watch matches on all of the other courts as well. You can always buy a grounds pass if no great matches are being played on AA & you still can go to every court to watch matches.
In my experinece, some of the best matches I ever seen were on LA, Grandstand & some of the smaller courts.
Kinda a fib cos my favorite match of all time that I watched at the USO was in AA....quarters in 04 Roger vs AA....amazing stuff.

As for *sneaking* down to better seats in AA , its an option but very iffy. Really depends on the person working in that section. They always check tickets. But you never know. Sitting close in LA or Grandstand is easier , bcos its open seating.( in LA, section surrounding the ct is researved) But IMO all the seats on those courts are good.

Have fun & I hope you & your dad have a great time in NY!!!

cheers
laura

Last edited by fedsfan1 : 07-11-2008 at 11:14 AM.
fedsfan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #32
country flag fedsfan1

fedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond reputefedsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukka View Post
I'll be in NY on holidays during the qualifying week, so I've planned to go there to watch some matches either on Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on the weather etc). I'm looking forward to see the place, I've never been at US Open before.

Elina
Thats Great Elina!!

Best part of qualies is that its free to enter the grrounds. & all the top players are practising.
I will be there at that time , too.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

cheers
laura
Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #33
country flag magnum44

magnum44 is on a distinguished road

I may intend to buy USO ticktes online. But how will I know where & when particular players will play their matches? And do I buy tickets for one match or for the whole day session (online/at the box office)?
magnum44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #34
country flag fedsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44 View Post
I may intend to buy USO ticktes online. But how will I know where & when particular players will play their matches? And do I buy tickets for one match or for the whole day session (online/at the box office)?
Hi magnum44,

The where & when of when the players play...its anyones guess .... the OOP is released the previous night. This is the same for all tournaments.
Plus you never buy a ticket for just one match, you buy for a session...day or night. IMO...its better to buy a day session cos even after the session is over....you can still stay on the grounds for the night sessions...you just won't have a seat in AA,& if you leave the grounds, you cannot re-enter. but you can go to any of the other cts to watch play. Unless there is a match you want to see in the night session in AA, then you need a ticket. But night session ticket holders cannot enter the grounds till after 5pm or later sometimes if the day sessions run late.

Hope that helps

cheers
laura
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #35
country flag magnum44

So what should I do if I want to see Rafa in his, say, 2nd round match? Do you have any tipps for me, please?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #36
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So what should I do if I want to see Rafa in his, say, 2nd round match? Do you have any tipps for me, please?
At the USO, with the exception of the first round, it's actually possible to make an educated guess as to which day (not session) the top two seeds will play on, unless the schedule has been affected by inclimate weather. Unless they have changed it, they usually play the top half of the draw the day before the bottom half. Assuming that Nadal will still be ranked #2 by the time seeds are made (obviously not set in stone, but IMO he'll still be #2, although it will be very close), he'll play on the second day of the men's round 2, which according to the USO website is Friday (http://www.usopen.org/schedules/default.sps). This is when Nadal played last year too (but not in 2006--this is not set in stone).

However, even if you can make a good guess as to what day he'll play, you won't know whether it'll be during the day or night session, since he'll probably play in Arthur Ashe, which requires a special ticket that grants you access during either the day or night, but not both (although you could buy tickets for both). This is really a toss-up. One of the two night matches will be a WTA match (that is for certain). They like to put the players with the biggest (American) star power in the night session, so they can maximize primetime American TV viewership. Furthermore, European players playing during the day will maximize European TV viewership. However, Nadal is pretty big in the US and in the past organizers have not hesitated to put him on during the night session. IMO the only male players who will trump Nadal for a space in the night session are Roddick, Federer (who if he is still #1 will be in the top half), and probably Blake. So, if either Roddick or Blake is in the bottom half of the draw, there is a decent chance that Nadal will play during the day.

So, this probably isn't a huge help, but if I were you I would get a daytime AA ticket for Friday (especially since you'll still be able to access the outer courts during the day, whereas an evening AA ticket will not grant you grounds access during the day). However, before you buy you should know that there is a good chance that he may not play during that session. Organizers don't always follow this logic and like to mix it up to give all the top players the good times/courts (i.e. Roddick played a day match on AA during R2 last year while Blake had the night spot, even though Roddick is obviously a much bigger star). Nadal didn't even play during the Friday day session last year or in 2006, despite perfect weather last year. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out, especially since there is a good chance that it won't.

I know this wasn't a big help, but hopefully I at least provided some insight into the scheduling process. To summarize, there really isn't a reliable way to figure it out.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #37
country flag magnum44

Thank you.
And one more question: does a daytime AA ticket give permission to enter the night session?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #38
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you.
And one more question: does a daytime AA ticket give permission to enter the night session?
A daytime will. I'm not sure if a nighttime AA ticket will allow you to access the grounds earlier in the day, though. I can't seem to find the answer on the website either.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #39
country flag downunderthunder

downunderthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedsfan1 View Post
Hello thunder from down under.....

Your best option is to go to the USO box office as early as you possibly can the day you want to go. Box office opens at 9am & usually tickets become available for that day. & you can buy your tickets for other days at the same time. (if they are available) Not sure what kind of seats you will get in AA but it will get you in & you will be able to watch matches on all of the other courts as well. You can always buy a grounds pass if no great matches are being played on AA & you still can go to every court to watch matches.
In my experinece, some of the best matches I ever seen were on LA, Grandstand & some of the smaller courts.
Kinda a fib cos my favorite match of all time that I watched at the USO was in AA....quarters in 04 Roger vs AA....amazing stuff.

As for *sneaking* down to better seats in AA , its an option but very iffy. Really depends on the person working in that section. They always check tickets. But you never know. Sitting close in LA or Grandstand is easier , bcos its open seating.( in LA, section surrounding the ct is researved) But IMO all the seats on those courts are good.

Have fun & I hope you & your dad have a great time in NY!!!

cheers
laura

Thanks!
I do have a couple of questions, though - so please bear with me!!

I arrive on the thurday of the second week in NY, which is the day of the night session I'd like to attend! Lining up early...hmm is that even possible then? Also, I can't work it out - are matches at that late stage of the tournament only on Ashe? Or would there be a night match that day, too, on say Armstrong? I'm talking the 4th of September, and I can't work out from the usopen site exactly what's happening The men's quarters are what I'm looking at, Armstrong would be GREAT, and how much would I be looking to spend and how?

I'm sorry - that's a lot of questions!
downunderthunder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #40
country flag fedsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_s_m View Post
A daytime will. I'm not sure if a nighttime AA ticket will allow you to access the grounds earlier in the day, though. I can't seem to find the answer on the website either.
With a night session ticket, you are only allowed to enter the grounds AFTER 5pm.
I said earlier that if you buy a day session, they will NOT make you leave the grounds during the night session...you just won't have a seat in AA. (unless u buy another ticket)

FYI--box office opens at 9am. Gates open @ 10am.
Qualifing rds....free to the public.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #41
country flag fedsfan1

Quote:
Thank you.
no admission to AA but you can stay on the grounds.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #42
country flag fedsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderthunder View Post
Thanks!
I do have a couple of questions, though - so please bear with me!!

I arrive on the thurday of the second week in NY, which is the day of the night session I'd like to attend! Lining up early...hmm is that even possible then? Also, I can't work it out - are matches at that late stage of the tournament only on Ashe? Or would there be a night match that day, too, on say Armstrong? I'm talking the 4th of September, and I can't work out from the usopen site exactly what's happening The men's quarters are what I'm looking at, Armstrong would be GREAT, and how much would I be looking to spend and how?

I'm sorry - that's a lot of questions!
No worries, Thunder

Yes you could still buy tickets at the B.O. USTA always makes tickets available the day of .... But since you are arriving that day, my advice is to try to buy them online for the night session on 9/4...if available. & yes they will play on Armstrong , too. but not sure if it will be mens 1/4's. My memory is shot....not sure if they put 2 on in AA--1 in the day & 1 at night & the other 2 in LA. I do know that both semi's are played Saturday day session. Womens final Sat. night.

hope that helps

cheers
Laura
Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #43
country flag magnum44

Thank you all
Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #44
country flag happy928

happy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond reputehappy928 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, anyone has "Promotions and Special Offers" for US Open Tixs?

Thanks.
happy928 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #45
country flag dudi_fan

dudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm goin!!!