The end of a period? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is today's loss only an accident (like the one to Safin 05) or did his domination end

No, let's not get carried away 47 45.19%
Yes, Federer is not dominating anymore 57 54.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
country flag Adler

Adler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond repute
Default The end of a period?

Now some people will diss me for making such thread, but I don't care. I also don't want it to be a bashing thread, but we'll see

Roger tried his best and lost. Bad luck? Not at all. Novak was looking more steady, solid and errorless during the whole match. It was visible like a black big dot on the sheet of paper that unless a turning point happens, nothing will prevent Djokovic from winning this one. I'm just surprised it happened in straights. Before this semifinal I was 75% sure Novak will win, so did some prominent users here (like scoobs for example)

Some people may make excuses... no proper preparation, virus, tougher oppostion, difficult draw, but that doesn't mean the goddamn thing. I believe something ends here. Roger's been winning Grand Slam and AMS tournaments. And he will continue to do so - maybe with even breaking Sampras's record of 15 GS won or 7 Wimbledons won - only this time he won't be winning them left and right, there will be no such domination over the next ranked players. Djokovic has been consistently raising his game - making it more multi-dimensional, cutting down UEs ratio, sharpening the backhand and so on. Now he's just collecting the rewards. And some others are waiting in line, constatntly improving: Murray, Tsonga, Cilic, Gulbis maybe, who knows, maybe Gasquet or Berdych will be late bloomers. There's alway Nadal waiting in the corridor, able to take advantage of the good draw on non-clay tournaments

What do you think, people?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
country flag FitDave

FitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of a period?

He did never dominate, he was a lucky individual playing in a weak era until now
FitDave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Last year definately foreshadowed that his dominance was ending but he'll definately still win grand slams.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

To me he's now more Sampras-esque. A great player who will still win them - but is beatable on a given court on a given day.

The 2004-2007 era of virtual hegemony over the tour is just about over.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
country flag pascal'rG

pascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond reputepascal'rG has a reputation beyond repute

It's clear for me that Federer play worst in the end of 2007 that in the others years.
Youngster are not afraid of him and begin to find some keys, but if they win that's because he's not playing his best.
So yes could be the end of a dominance periode, if federer doesn't adapt to the new situation and work to have his best level back.

He will still be a GS winner and maybe n°1 but not so dominant.
pascal'rG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
country flag tennisgal_001

tennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adler View Post
Now some people will diss me for making such thread, but I don't care. I also don't want it to be a bashing thread, but we'll see

Roger tried his best and lost. Bad luck? Not at all. Novak was looking more steady, solid and errorless during the whole match. It was visible like a black big dot on the sheet of paper that unless a turning point happens, nothing will prevent Djokovic from winning this one. I'm just surprised it happened in straights. Before this semifinal I was 75% sure Novak will win, so did some prominent users here (like scoobs for example)

Some people may make excuses... no proper preparation, virus, tougher oppostion, difficult draw, but that doesn't mean the goddamn thing. I believe something ends here. Roger's been winning Grand Slam and AMS tournaments. And he will continue to do so - maybe with even breaking Sampras's record of 15 GS won or 7 Wimbledons won - only this time he won't be winning them left and right, there will be no such domination over the next ranked players. Djokovic has been consistently raising his game - making it more multi-dimensional, cutting down UEs ratio, sharpening the backhand and so on. Now he's just collecting the rewards. And some others are waiting in line, constatntly improving: Murray, Tsonga, Cilic, Gulbis maybe, who knows, maybe Gasquet or Berdych will be late bloomers. There's alway Nadal waiting in the corridor, able to take advantage of the good draw on non-clay tournaments

What do you think, people?
No, Federer did NOT try his best (and I'm not saying if he did he would've won). Sampras has 14 Slams.

To answer the question, I don't think it's fair to cite this as "the end of an era". Federer is getting older, the "young guns" are maturing and their game is developing well. I can still see him finishing the year as world #1, winning Wimbledon and the USO as was the case in 2005. The only difference here would be that he won't win with AS MUCH EASE as he used to. It's a combination of many different factors, some of which are beyond Federer's control, others are only part of the natural process. You can only stay on top for so long. So in a way, yes he won't dominate as profoundly as he used to, and it's only normal, on the other hand if we look at the bigger picture in terms of W-L ratio, GS, AMS, tour titles, ranking, etc... he will still be on top in most departments. It depends on your perspective I guess.

(courtesy of Dimonator133)
tennisgal_001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I thought 10 straight slam finals was his greatest record, after the consecutive Wimbledon streak.
This ends that run, and he really didn't look like the better player at any time tonight.
Federer looked very average tonight. I would expect Blake or Baghdatis to lose like that.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
country flag ivankg

ivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond reputeivankg has a reputation beyond repute

This was the first time that I was able to see in Djokovic eyes the full determination and self confidence. He was so "I`m the best player in the world at this moment" lookalike. Yes, I think this is end of an era. If Djokovic keeps his physical strenght and keeps improving his technique (and there are a free space for that), he will be No.1 till the end of a year since mentaly he is completely ready.
ivankg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
country flag Adler

Adler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond reputeAdler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgal_001 View Post
No, Federer did NOT try his best (and I'm not saying if he did he would've won). Sampras has 14 Slams.

To answer the question, I don't think it's fair to cite this as "the end of an era". Federer is getting older, the "young guns" are maturing and their game is developing well. I can still see him finishing the year as world #1, winning Wimbledon and the USO as was the case in 2005. The only difference here would be that he won't win with AS MUCH EASE as he used to. It's a combination of many different factors, some of which are beyond Federer's control, others are only part of the natural process. You can only stay on top for so long. So in a way, yes he won't dominate as profoundly as he used to, and it's only normal, on the other hand if we look at the bigger picture in terms of W-L ratio, GS, AMS, tour titles, ranking, etc... he will still be on top in most departments. It depends on your perspective I guess.
1) Fed gave the best he could give today - that's what I meant
2) You're writing exactly what I wrote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
country flag FitDave

FitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond reputeFitDave has a reputation beyond repute

STFU with your :retard: excuses He tried his best. Why the hell would he shout c'mon like a mini-Hewitt on some worthless points?:retard: get a grip
FitDave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is going to win a lot more slams, but this certainly helps Nole believe in himself as a potential #1.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
country flag Bibberz
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA

Bibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond repute

I would way rather see a triumvirate than a hegemony, so I hope you're right. I won't downgrade him to "Sampras-esque" yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
To me he's now more Sampras-esque. A great player who will still win them - but is beatable on a given court on a given day.

The 2004-2007 era of virtual hegemony over the tour is just about over.
Bibberz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
country flag t0x

t0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond repute

What Fed has done the past few years is amazing and it was always going to end at some point.

I still see him taking about one slam a year though.
Federer Express Passenger #163

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un

Others: Safin - Tursunov - Gonzalez - Berdych - Ancic - Johansson - Youzhny - Cilic - Henman - Karlovic - Mahut
t0x is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Roger still has one slam a year left in him for quite a few more seasons.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Novak played well I'm not taking anything away from him...but SO FARRoger of 2008 doesn't look remotely like the roger of 2006 or 2005! so yes it looks like federer's skill is wayning...never had I seen Roger rely so much on his serve in a grand slam...hope he picks it up in time for the clay season!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote