Oscar Nominations 2008 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #31
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oscar Nominations 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
"The Simpsons - Movie" not nominated. Most famous animated series in the world and one of the most successful series in general. When do these idiots think of honoring the makers?
If idiots were voting the Simpson movie would no doubt have won.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #32
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see many of the movies/performances nominated-I always rent the dvds after its all over but I was very happy "Ratitioulle" won-so original and well done. Also Juno for best original screenplay-the story is very real and very sweet (and so well acted).

Overall, it seems a lot of deserving performances didn't make the nomination cut-I don't think that means those who did didn't give worthy performances, just that there were so many to choose from and only 5 will make it to the fianl ballot. While a lot of movie arent' to my taste these days (too violent) there are a lot of superb actors giving great performances but it has to get narrowed down somehow One of my favorite movies of the year, "Stardust" wasn't nominated for anything-just the way it goes.

Having said that, Johnny Depp has to win some year

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 02-25-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

I know Daniel Day Lewis's sister Tamasin Lewis.

She is a TV chef and she told me that he is very down to earth and carefully selects his roles, he hasnt done much movies in his career but the ones he has done he has always been excellent.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #34
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
If idiots were voting the Simpson movie would no doubt have won.
It's one of the most famous and most successful American exports in the world. Why should it not get an Oscar? It will get one in the near future I'm sure. Probably the special Oscar.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #35
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's one of the most famous and most successful American exports in the world. Why should it not get an Oscar? It will get one in the near future I'm sure. Probably the special Oscar.

Well, probably not, unless another Simpson's movie is made and released in theaters. Oscars (Academy Awards) are the US awards for movies and other types of flms that are shown in movie theaters. The Simpsons could win an Emmy (or perhaps already have-I can't remember they've been on for so long ) The Emmy's are the US awards for television which is the Simpson's main medium.....Neither is determined by popularity. Quality is the criteria and the awards are voted on by the people who work in the respective industries. So being famous or popular alone would not earn an Oscar or Emmy for anyone or any film/show.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
Well, probably not, unless another Simpson's movie is made and released in theaters. Oscars (Academy Awards) are the US awards for movies and other types of flms that are shown in movie theaters. The Simpsons could win an Emmy (or perhaps already have-I can't remember they've been on for so long ) The Emmy's are the US awards for television which is the Simpson's main medium.....Neither is determined by popularity. Quality is the criteria and the awards are voted on by the people who work in the respective industries. So being famous or popular alone would not earn an Oscar or Emmy for anyone or any film/show.
It has won more than 1 Emmy. There also will be a 2nd movie. Why should it not get an oscar for best animated movie?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #37
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because the Oscars are supposed to be for quality. Under your standards McDonalds would be a Michelin 3-star restaurant for being one of the most successful and world famous restaurants in the world.
However I am sure the Simpson movie cleaned up at the Peoples' Awards.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #38
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
It has won more than 1 Emmy. There also will be a 2nd movie. Why should it not get an oscar for best animated movie?
Because in any given year there will always be better animated movies.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #39
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Because in any given year there will always be better animated movies.
bullshit

handwork > computer
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #40
country flag Okonsky
@Ryan's Hat

Okonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manon View Post
My favorites:

Best foreign language film
'The Counterfeiters', Austria
Yes. Great, great movie.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #41
country flag Sparko1030

Quote:

I wasn't aruging one way or the other about whether it should get an Oscar. I thought from your post you didnt' realize the difference b/t the film and television awards so was only trying to clarify that for you. Myself, I can take or leave the Simpsons but my family loves the show. And some critics love them and some don't. If another movie is made and its of a high quality, then there is no reason it shouldn't be considered .

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #42
country flag Laura12

Laura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! I'm soooo happy with the outcomes. Especially Best Actor.

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."
-Henry Ford

"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it."
-Robert Heinlein

Seat#136and proud

Gregor Schlierenzauer- Ski Flying World Champion!
Laura12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #43
country flag Claroo

Claroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond reputeClaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
bullshit

handwork > computer
Then, Persepolis >> The Simpson movie
Claroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #44
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=tangerine_dream;6636394]The Oscars bombed out. Perhaps this is a sign that people are finally getting fed up with our celebrity worship culture? One can only hope.

Doubtful. I should link the website where my hubby writes a column. Another columnist wrote about pH ( Paris Hilton) and you should have seen the comments. Now remember this is a site for short story discussion I will pm it to you if you are interested.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #45
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
I highly recommend "No Country for Old Men" if anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's a brilliant and very unHollywood-like movie. Typical Coen brother genius.
So you should have loved the Oscar show then?

I don't think it is celebrity worship. I want to see my favourites do well, but the best part is to see who screws up. Gary Busey, who was a great Buddy Holly onscreen, did not let us down this year, in the ''what an as**ole'' category.