Frank Dancevic - Page 149 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #2221
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frank Dancevic

Paire doesn't have a lot of match form going into this, and has been playing on clay, so hopefully all the WTT Frank's played has him sharper and he squeaks this out. How fast are the courts for DC?

I'd assume it'd be the same as Cincy and TO/Mont - Pro DecoTurf II and therefore fast.

Wrong about that - http://www.perfect-tennis.co.uk/tenn...-court-speeds/ says it's played on DecoColor, is medium fast

Last edited by mayumashu : 07-27-2014 at 06:09 PM.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #2222
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Seed 32 Joao Sousa in R1 - Frank will have to play very well. He came so close to getting Ivo Karlovic again in R1
ibreak4coffee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #2223
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get a feel for his match against Sousa. Frank overcomes the disappointment of blowing a 6-1 first set tie-break lead by winning the second. Sousa changes everything by winning the third. Now Dancevic is up a break in the fourth...
Brad1973 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #2224
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

...wins the fourth, comes back from 2-5 in the fifth to force a tie-break, which he loses. Highly entertaining match.
Brad1973 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #2225

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Really tough loss for Frank. Over the course of the entire match he was the better player - the difference is that a guy ranked 130 doesn't play the big points as well as the guy ranked 38 - that was the slight difference today. Credit to Sousa.

First set was very even, no breaks and not a great level of tennis - Frank started the tiebreak extremely well to go up 6-1... and then froze. Was waiting for Sousa to gift a point and he didnt and soon enough it was 8-6 Sousa. Second set I was surprised I thought Frank would go away but Sousa's play dropped significantly. Third set Frank's play dropped and Sousa played his best set - easy 6-2. In the 4th it seemed routine but Frank fought back with some great shotmaking and took the set. 5th set it always felt Sousa would win because he was the more aggressive player on the big points - its not a coincidence Frank played his best tennis when down 2-5 in the 5th and nothing to lose - wish he could play that aggressively over the course of an entire match. Anyways in the breaker Sousa was the aggressor again and came to net often and Frank couldnt get one passing shot in play - which is a shame, because Sousa's the worst volleyer I've ever seen in coming to the Open for over 10 years. There should be a force field that doesnt allow him to get anywhere near the net.

In any event, Frank showed heart and guts and flashes of brilliance but it wasnt enough - I hope he builds on this because his ranking will drop considerably and its back to GS qualies as of next year - somewhere unfortunately on talent he doesn't belong at 30 years old. Only 40 points to defend before the Aussie next year, lets hope for a decent run in next months to get the ranking back up.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #2226

Looked at Frank's GS history tonight. Some interesting stats:

- He's 5-19 in 24 career GS MD matches. Best record is at Wimbledon, at 3-6 (where he's had several chances to make R3 including this year). Australian is 1-5 but he's played a seed there in all matches but one! French 0-3 (as expected) and US Open only 1-5 again.
- Of those 24 matches, he's had to play a seed an incredible 13 times, especially since he hasn't made it out of the first round often (so he's drawing a lot of seeds in R1, probably leading to a lot of losses).
- On the other hand never faced a seed at the French Open but has never won a match.
- In GS qualies however, record is a stellar 34-13!

Conclusion therefore is that he's too good for qualies, hasn't played up to par on the big stage, but drew a lot of tough matches so the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Hoping he can make some headway on the challenger circuit and get into the MD's with better draws in 2015!

Australian Open
R128 Benoit Paire (FRA)
28 L 6-7(12), 3-6, 4-6
R128 Richard Gasquet (FRA)
33 L 3-6, 4-6, 4-6
R128 James Blake (USA)
10 L 4-6, 3-6, 5-7
R128 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
26 L 3-6, 1-6, 7-5, 6-2, 1-6
R128 Victor Hanescu (ROU)
759 W 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(3)
R64 Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
19 L 4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 4-6

French Open
R128 Martin Klizan (SVK)
70 L 0-4 RET
R128 Simone Bolelli (ITA)
126 L 1-6, 3-6, 7-6(5), 2-6
R128 Miguel Angel Lopez Jaen (ESP)
264 L 6-7(6), 6-3, 5-7, 6-7(2)

Wimbledon
R128 Radek Stepanek (CZE)
13 L 6-7(4), 3-6, 4-6
R64 David Nalbandian (ARG)
25 L 2-6, 3-6, 7-5, 3-6
R128 Stefan Koubek (AUT)
60 W 6-2, 6-4, 6-2
R64 Bobby Reynolds (USA)
102 L 6-4, 6-7(10), 4-6, 4-6
R128 David Nalbandian (ARG)
7 W 6-4, 6-2, 6-4
R128 Steve Darcis (BEL)
77 L 4-6, 6-7(4), 3-6
R128 Ricardo Mello (BRA)
89 L 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7(6), 2-6
R64 Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
63 L 3-6, 3-6, 2-6
R128 Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
32 W 6-4, 7-6(5), 7-6(4)

US Open
R128 Joao Sousa (POR)
38 L 6-7(6), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, 6-7 (3)
R128 Robin Haase (NED)
59 W 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-5, 7-6(3)
R64 Tommy Robredo (ESP)
22 L 4-6, 4-6, 1-6
R128 Marsel Ilhan (TUR)
101 L 3-6, 2-6, 0-1 RET
R128 Nicolas Almagro (ESP)
18 L 3-6, 4-6, 5-7
R128 Marat Safin (RUS)
25 L 5-7, 6-7(5), 6-7(7)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #2227
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1973 View Post
I can't get a feel for his match against Sousa. Frank overcomes the disappointment of blowing a 6-1 first set tie-break lead by winning the second. Sousa changes everything by winning the third. Now Dancevic is up a break in the fourth...
When does one ever really get a feel for his matches, they are so erratic one never knows for sure what will happen next, but they usually end in a loss, at least at this level.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #2228
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute

Frank should be a little fresher for this autumn than he was last year - last year he didn't play well, didn't seem motivated. Hopefully, he finds some motivation - nice for him at his age especially not to have to qualify for majors.

I don't know if he would have won the second set if he'd won the first breaker, so I don't feel he blew this one. Was great to see him come back twice to level the match, as well as in the final set, even though he lost.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #2229

Anyone know Frank's schedule for September/October? Euro challenger circuit?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #2230
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't seem to be playing the next 5 weeks (although only next 3 are released for challengers) so I am guessing he is playing the US Challenger circuit. Entirely a guess
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #2231
country flag dancy_fan

dancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond reputedancy_fan has a reputation beyond repute

-I think Frank is currently practicing at Tennis center in Montreal and getting ready for Davis Cup.
-Yes Snowwy you guess is correct.He will play Us Challenge circuit.
dancy_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #2232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancy_fan View Post
-I think Frank is currently practicing at Tennis center in Montreal and getting ready for Davis Cup.
-Yes Snowwy you guess is correct.He will play Us Challenge circuit.
Thanks!