2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #61
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 Andy News (title suggestions welcome)

that would be cuckooland then??
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #62
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #63
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #64
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun at DC, Kate. Hopefully the boys will give you something to cheer about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3221740
Not too late for Roddick to make adjustments

Photo caption: After winning nine combined events in 2004-2005, Andy Roddick has just three titles the last two years.

----------------------
The next time Andy Roddick plays a competitive match, he'll be on the dreaded European clay leading the U.S. against Austria in the opening round of the Davis Cup. Less certain is how the rest of 2008 will unfold following another tough loss in a Grand Slam.

Roddick's defeat to an inspired Philipp Kohlschreiber in the third round of the Australian Open was the latest disappointment and marked the fifth time in the past eight majors the Texan failed to advance past the fourth round.

Kohlschreiber, the diminutive German with the big game, produced an astounding 104 winners and dictated proceedings on backcourt rallies, keeping Roddick lingering behind the baseline. Ken Meyerson, his straight-talking agent, admitted that's no place for him to be if he intends to win a second Grand Slam title.

"Why would Andy resort to playing more of a retrieving-type game as opposed to more of an aggressive game?'' Meyerson asked. "I don't know whether it's nerves or deliberate, but I can only say his best tennis is when he takes that first ball and pummels it, whether it's a return on a second serve and he really goes for it, or is what we know as his classic one-two -- big serve, big forehand.

"Maybe 'frustrating' is not the right word, but when Andy plays that way, it's clearly and objectively not as effective as when he steps up and beats the crap out of the ball. I don't want Andy to get too complicated, and I don't like to see him work so hard to win points.''

The world No. 6 toiled for almost four hours against Kohlschreiber and was on the wrong end of a 3½-hour epic against Richard Gasquet on the grass at Wimbledon last year, perhaps his most devastating loss. Both had a few similarities, apart from the fifth set ending 8-6.

Roddick was only broken twice by Kohlschreiber, which is little surprise, given he finished second behind towering Croat Ivo Karlovic in points won on first serve last year. But while Kohlschreiber won more than half on his own second serve, that figure shrunk to 36 percent for Roddick.

Against Gasquet, the Frenchman similar in stature to Kohlschreiber and also blessed with a picturesque one-handed backhand, Roddick blew a two-set advantage in the quarterfinals. He dropped serve, again, just twice, with Gasquet registering 93 winners and claiming almost half of Roddick's second-serve points. The number dwindled to 34 percent for the American.

"Guys seem to play well against Andy, and I think part of that is that he allows them to play against him,'' said ESPN commentator Jimmy Arias, a former world No. 5. "Kohlschreiber, by everyone's perception, was unbelievable. But I have a feeling that it's Andy's game bringing it out.''

Coaching guru Nick Bollettieri agreed with Meyerson's assessment that his court position needs altering, saying Roddick can't hurt anyone from beyond the baseline, especially with his backhand. Interestingly, he suggested a little more variety on the serve, too, to keep the opponent guessing. (On a related note, Roddick's nemesis, or should that be, most everyone's nemesis, Roger Federer, has often said he can read the serve.)

"The players on the other side got to know that Andy will be coming in, not from way back behind the baseline or on shots anybody would come in on, he's got to come in when you don't expect him to,'' Bollettieri said. "And then Andy doesn't do that. It's a shame because he's competitive and he fights his butt off.''

Why, as others have asked, doesn't Roddick take more chances when returning, for instance, given his serve is rarely under threat?

Roddick won't have an opportunity to redeem himself until the French Open -- the very venue he has lost in the first round the last two years.

When he came close to notching a long-awaited second scalp over Federer at the Masters Cup two years ago, holding match points, Roddick won more points than Federer returning first serves and was at more than 40 percent on second serves.

"I'm surprised it hasn't happened when his steady, grind-it-out play hasn't worked,'' Arias said. "If that's not working, let's go to Plan B. Then again, it might be hard for him to think like that because he's losing a tiebreaker. It's still unbelievably tight, so he's thinking, 'This is what I need to do.' It's a tough situation in some ways.''

Taking more risks is an approach endorsed by 1991 Wimbledon champion Michael Stich, who, at one stage a few years ago, was in talks to informally work with Roddick. (Stich was also represented by Meyerson.) Adding a looping topspin forehand wouldn't hurt either, he said.

Roddick is still only 25, which gives him time to add to his arsenal. So it's too early for him to panic, said Stich, who retooled his own forehand with Sven Groeneveld -- the Dutchman who frequently coaches Australian Open finalist Ana Ivanovic -- following foot surgery in 1995 and reached the French Open final a year later at age 27.

"I said after my second operation, 'My forehand sucks, basically, and I want to work on it,''' Stich said. "I changed my forehand in three months' time, not completely, but I changed it. I found out that even at that stage in your career, you can add to your game. With Andy, I do believe he can improve and still win a Grand Slam title.''

In the immediate future, meeting up with his Davis Cup teammates next week in Vienna as the U.S. begins the defense of its title could be the perfect tonic.

"To hang with the guys, I think it's therapeutic for him mentally, and it's good for him to get back into a team atmosphere,'' Meyerson said. "Andy is such a guy's guy in terms of enjoying the camaraderie of a team.''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg espn.jpg (173.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ten_g_roddick_580.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 02-13-2008 at 06:26 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #65
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Cool so even Andy's fucking agent knows what the problem is......

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytta!. View Post
Andyland is real world, we live in a perfect place.
well said
10 FH winners rock

thanks Tangy, but I still don't know if I can get tickets

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #67
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

I will leave u guys to it then - yeah good article - it does say something when your agent knows what is wrong with your game.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #68
country flag Deboogle!.

especially when your agent is Ken.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #69
country flag kaylee

Yeah and I like Ken!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #70
country flag Deboogle!.

you do?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #71
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

So PimPim has retired at the ripe old age of 25 because his shoulder won't heal. I think the mechanics of Andy's serve are perfectly sound, he has had no shoulder problems, so for once he's been lucky that way.

I love how GMers are in mourning over Pim, calling him a "big talent with big potential" I'm glad that Pim's last professional match was vs Andy in Davis Cup. It was a teeny tiny small little dish of revenge.

I don't think Pim's retirement will be permanent. He just needs a break.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 02-01-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #72
country flag kaylee

I saw that too what a drag. Andy is lucky that his serve doesn't put a lot of strain on his shoulder. Nice article well at least he admitted that he should have done things differently in that Kolscreiber match however onwards and upwards!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #73
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ANDY RODDICK: Long story short, I should have let my forehand ride a little bit more. Kind of watching the tape, I realize that. I needed to kind of establish that shot in rallies a little bit more, maybe not let guys take control of it and take pot shots, make them a little bit more uncomfortable.

Oh my god i don't believe it.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #74
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

It's good he is talking like that, but if he is going to change something...time will let us see...
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #75
Last dance, Andy

Kinda-sorta-well-not-really Andy news but...

From TR.net:
Quote:
It's official: ESPN dumped both Indian Wells (the Pacific Life Open) and Miami (the Sony Ericsson Open). The Pac Life will be shown by local Fox Sportsnet affiliates and the same goes for the SE until the finals when CBS comes in. As a Fox tennis columnist, I'm [Matt Cronin] somewhat pleased, but Fox isn't sending their own crew, so it will be a collection of analysts picked by TWI, IMG's broadcasting arm. Justin Gimelstob is said to be in the mix. Hopefully, numerous Fox affiliates will pick up the action but how many is yet to be determined.
*sigh* Those of us with no Tennis Channel will be seeing less tennis this year.

Mugs Tennis Forums