2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff - Page 35 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #511
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff

Andy has culture and taste, wow! Somebody blogged about bumping into Andy at a local show and posted a pic on their site:

http://mandyannemurray.wordpress.com...re/#comment-99
I swear, I know that guy from somewhere.

I believe I am fighting off a cold, and it’s on this I’m blaming my braindeadness.

Last night, The Boyf and I went to a really great “Intimate Evening” acoustic show with Tim Brantley, Bryan Greenberg, Michael Tolcher and Graham Colton. The concert was wonderful. I love being in a tiny room with very few people, listening to guys sing and play guitar, especially when said guys sing and play well.

So we’re standing there, listening, when a tall frat-ish looking guy walks down the stairs with his girlfriend and another dude. They stand a little in front of us. I recognize the guy right away. But, I can’t figure out where I know him from. I’m racking my brain trying to figure out where I know him from. The Boyf, who hasn’t seen his face, asks me if I know his name. I say no, that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

A little time passes, some songs are sung, and The Boyf leans over to whisper in my ear, “You know that guy because it’s f***ing Andy Roddick.”

Oh.

A whoops?

I guess the reason I didn’t recognize him right away is that he was so out of context. Even though I knew he lived around here, I never would have thought I’d run into him at a tiny acoustic show in the basement of Stubbs.

Bryan Greenberg, the second act, is somewhat famous in his own right. He was on One Tree Hill, starred in October Road and in the movie Prime with Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman. (He’s not bad on the eyes, either … sorry Love!) I saw him play guitar on OTH back in the day I actually watched that show and found myself thinking, “I would like to hear more from you, sir.” Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I saw the advertisement for the show in Facebook. Yay for the Internets!

So Bryan comes in the room, a little while after his set, and walks in front of where we’re standing, to the wall and back. He passes by Andy and gets this “Andy Roddick is at my show!” look on his face. The Boyf leans into me and says, “You have to blog about that moment right there. He totally just came out to see Andy Roddick.” Bryan Greenburg did a drive by, for serious.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #512
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to believe this but even the idea made me

Andy Roddick may play an exhibition in Chile next April, reports Chilean newspaper El Mercurio. An opponent has not been secured but could be Chilean No. 1 Fernando Gonzalez, a matchup that would give the event an interesting twist because Roddick has just hired Gonzalez's former coach Larry Stefanki.

http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #513
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

oh. my. god. Yes, let's add even more SENSELESS TRAVELING DURING THE YEAR. Seriously i mean holy crap that would be stupid and it'd also give him ZERO place to ever complain about the schedule.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #514
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Somdev trains with Roddick
3 Dec 2008, 2302 hrs IST, TNN

BANGALORE: India No. 1 Somdev Devvarman is currently enjoying a ten-day training stint with American star Andy Roddick in Austin, Texas.

Somdev started working alongside the world No. 8 and his new coach Larry Stefanki on Sunday. The 23-year-old Indian enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2008 at the end of which he finds himself ranked 205.

"I am excited at the opportunity to train with Andy under the watchful eye of Larry Stefanki. It will be a great learning curve for me and it is a great way to prepare for the 2009 season," Somdev said.

Stefanki has coached greats like John McEnroe, Marcelo Rios, Yevgeni Kafelnikov and most recently Fernando Gonzales.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #515
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

awwww so cute yeah I also saw that stupid trip to SA. Honestly that boy needs his head seeing to!
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #516
country flag Deboogle!.

Andy Roddick readies for a rebound at Colonial Life Arena
After a tough year and a coaching switch, America’s No. 1 returns to the court
By SETH EMERSON
semerson@thestate.com

When Andy Roddick walks into the Colonial Life Arena on Saturday, the concept is for him to have some fun and help some charities. At least, that is most of the concept.

The biggest name in American men’s tennis is coming off a disappointing season, during which he switched coaches. So, as he prepares for what he hopes will be a better 2009, a series of fundraising events this weekend — including Saturday night in Columbia — will give him an early gauge.

“You can practice as much as you want, but until you’re getting out there with that element of actually having people and umpires and the whole deal, it’s definitely a little different feel,” Roddick said.

Rock ’n’ Raquets, an annual tennis exhibition that benefits the Andy Roddick Foundation, will feature Roddick, Serena Williams and pop star Gavin Rossdale during shows in Louisville on Friday, Columbia on Saturday and Tennessee on Sunday.

The night features a mixed doubles match: Roddick and Williams will face American John Isner and Dane Carolina Wozniacki.

“Man, I may not be good every day, but I know how to pick a partner,” Roddick said.

Williams is the top-ranked American female (second). Roddick is the top-ranked American male (eighth). Since he briefly attained the No. 1 ranking in 2003, however, his rank has slipped each year, prompting this year’s changes.

In March, Roddick parted ways with coach Jimmy Connors. He recently started working with Larry Stefanki, who coached John McEnroe, Marcello Rios and Yevgeny Kafelnikov, among others.

Roddick, who praised Stefanki’s ability to scout opponents, said the pairing will help him in both physical and technical areas.

“He’s worked with a variety of different playing styles, and some tough personalities as well,” Roddick said. “So all those things were pretty appealing. He’s a big fan of getting out there and working.”

A big challenge will be staying healthy. Roddick started last year well, winning three tournaments and beating Rafael Nadal, who went on to win two Grand Slam titles.

But Roddick ended the year with a 49-18 record, his most losses and worst winning percentage since 2002 (51-19). He missed the French Open because of a shoulder injury.

“I felt like the rest of the year I was going straight from the training table onto the court in tournaments,” Roddick said. “So I felt like I was trying to play catch-up, and I did what I could, but I didn’t really feel prepared. So I’m excited about having this little offseason here to really kind of get fit, get ready and get my body right, and get some time on the court to prepare for next year.”

Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #517
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick, Serena serving up musical matches for charity

By Michael Grant
The Courier-Journal • December 11, 2008

Tennis star Andy Roddick is going to raise a ruckus at Freedom Hall tomorrow.

Roddick, joined by Serena Williams, plans a special mix of music and sports in the ICAP Energy Rock-n-Racquets event. Three exhibition matches will be set to music by live band Chamberflow, singer Dennisha Duncan and DJ K-Dogg.

The event, reaching cities that normally don't have big-time tennis, will benefit Roddick's foundation for at-risk children.

Roddick, 26, wants a noisy crowd, so an emcee will help keep fans riled up: Wayne Bryan, father of top U.S. doubles team Bob and Mike Bryan.

"A lot of tennis events tell you to be quiet,'' said Roddick. "We tell you to not be quiet."

Roddick and Williams will play John Isner and Caroline Wozniacki in singles and be paired in mixed doubles.

Although Williams has pulled out of next month's Hopman Cup with a hamstring injury, she'll still participate in the Louisville event, said Evan Levy of the William Morris Agency, which represents her.

The event, which was started five years ago, is for a good cause. Roddick's foundation, which he started when he was 18, donates money to children's shelters and adoption agencies and provides school uniforms.

"If we can alter the course of someone's life at an early stage we could give them a chance for the rest of it," said Roddick. "I didn't need anything tragic to happen to get me motivated to help."

Roddick is also motivated to get back on top. He looked like the next great American superstar when he ascended to the No. 1 ranking in 2003 and won the U.S. Open, but he's still waiting for his second Grand Slam championship.

And with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal dominating the sport in recent years, some have wondered whether Roddick has already hit his peak. He finished 2008 ranked No. 8, although he did get a long-awaited win against Federer by stunning him in the Miami Masters in April after beating Federer just once in 16 previous encounters.

Roddick also recently hired Larry Stefanki, who's tutored John McEnroe, as his coach, and they began working together last week.

"Hopefully it will be a great fit,'' Roddick said. "I'm really looking forward to the next season."

Roddick also seems eager to shed the label of being a one-Grand Slam wonder.

"You want to win every one, so anytime you don't there's disappointment," he said.

"The fact is I'm 26. I've been No. 1 in the world. I've played in numerous Grand Slam finals, won the U.S. Open and led our country to the Davis Cup title. So to sit here and kind of sniff at that, that's not something I'm going to do. But every failure only makes me hungrier."

Next year figures to be memorable regardless of whether he gets his elusive title. He's engaged to marry supermodel Brooklyn Decker sometime in 2009 after going after her with the same tenacity he has for tennis.

But like beating Federer, it didn't happen right away.

"I kind of pursued her like you would meet anyone," Roddick said. "It took her a while to call me back, but she did finally. It took longer than I would have liked, but we got there in the end."

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...76/1002/SPORTS

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #518
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

Heehee he has just as much fuzz on his face as on his head. Thanks for the articles people a good lunchtime read.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #519
country flag Deboogle!.

Roddick wants to resume his run to top of tennis world
Knoxville exhibition serves as fun tune-up

By Dave Link
Originally published 12:29 a.m., December 12, 2008
Updated 12:29 a.m., December 12, 2008

He beat the No. 2 tennis player in the world, then the No. 3 player, then the No. 1 player.

Andy Roddick was poised for a run at the world's top ranking earlier this year , but a shoulder injury cost him a chance of regaining the No. 1 spot he held in 2003.

Now, Roddick is fit and ready for the 2009 season, and he will use Sunday's Rock-n-Racquets/BB&T exhibition at the University of Tennessee's Thompson-Boling Arena as a fun tune-up during preseason preparations.

"This year was probably the toughest for me in terms of injuries," Roddick said from Boca Raton, Fla. "I've never really been hurt before this year."

Roddick will play with fellow touring pros Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki and John Isner during Sunday's exhibition. Doors open at 1 p.m., and the exhibition begins at 2.

Roddick, 26, who turned pro in 2000, is ranked No. 8, but was on track for a higher finish earlier this year.

On his way to winning his 25th ATP title in Dubai, Roddick beat No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the quarterfinals and No. 3 Novak Djokovic in the semifinals before beating Feliciano Lopez in the final.

Roddick lost in the opening round the next week to Tommy Haas at Indian Wells, Calif., and in his next tournament broke an 11-match losing streak against No. 1 Roger Federer with a quarterfinal victory in Miami before losing in the semifinals to Nikolay Davydenko.

Roddick won two Davis Cup singles matches against France in April, and in his only clay-court tournament of the year, was forced to retire in the semifinals of Rome because of a right shoulder injury.

He was forced to withdraw from the French Open, ending a streak of 28 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played.

"I had success against the top players early in the season," Roddick said. "It was very unfortunate, the timing of the bum shoulder."

Roddick made his earliest exit ever at Wimbledon - losing to Janko Tipsarevic in the second round - and went 16-6 from August until now.

Roddick says he's ready to start a new season, which begins in early January with hard-court tournaments leading up to the Jan. 19-Feb. 1 Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.

"I feel good now," Roddick said. "I'm just looking forward to being prepared and in good shape for next year."

Holiday Prices: There is a special holiday offer for the exhibition with ticket prices reduced to $50, $25, and $12, and there is a special offer for $10 for children/students 12-under in designated sections.

An autograph signing session with the players will be held when the doors open.

Second Harvest: The Second Harvest Food Bank will be accepting canned goods/foods at the exhibition.

Fans may bring cans for Second Harvest. Barrels will be located near the ticket office at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Sponsoring Children: Centre Court Racquet Club owner/manager Lenny Simpson, one of the exhibition's sponsors and organizers, plans to sponsor 1,000 underprivileged children so they can attend the exhibition. For more information, call 865-380-5377.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #520
country flag Deboogle!.

video: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...portCat=tennis

Page 2 winner goes into the frying pan with Roddick
By Thomas Neumann
Page 2

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Andy Roddick is pretty handy with a frying pan.

Let us explain.

You might recall that Page 2 ran a contest back in July pegged to an excerpt of Todd Gallagher's recent book, "Andy Roddick Beat Me With a Frying Pan." We asked readers to re-enact a memorable sports moment using a frying pan. The creator of the winning video, as selected by ESPN.com users, would win a trip to the Andy Roddick Foundation charity weekend to play tennis against a frying pan-wielding Roddick.

The winner was Chris Wetzel, who, with the help of his brother, Nick, recreated the scene when Randy Johnson hit a dove with a pitch during spring training in 2001, literally exploding the unsuspecting bird into a sea of feathers.

Roddick, of course, is the top-rated American men's tennis player, and he's currently ranked No. 8 in the world. Wetzel, on the other hand, is a 22-year-old accounting major at Ohio Northern University. He has played tennis recreationally since junior high school, but never competitively. He's a decent athlete, albeit a bit rusty.

"The last time I actually kept a scoring game was probably in October," Wetzel said. "This last week, I went outside and tried to serve twice. One time, it was snowing sideways, and the balls got soaked. They weren't dry when I tried to use them again. …

"I would say Roddick has the advantage going in. But if it snows sideways, that gives me a little bit of an edge."

Format: Tiebreaker.
Surface: Clay.
Weather: Partly cloudy, low 70s, slight breeze.
Roddick's utensil: Generic (we declined to splurge for Sonoma's $185 All-Clad Brushed Stainless Steel Professional Fry Pan).

Roddick won the opening point and initially appeared unaffected by the angled handle on the pan. Then Wetzel tipped a shot off the top of the net to tie the score.

"Oh, no!" Roddick howled in mock anguish. "That's not fair."

Perhaps rattled, Roddick lost the next two points and trailed 3-1. He then chucked the pan in disgust, although no penalty was assessed for racket abuse.

"Oooh, handle's loose," Roddick said. "I need another. Got a spare? Maybe Emeril's brand or something?"

Sorry, in this economy, we're sticking with generic. Armed with pan No. 2, Roddick flipped the switch, losing just one more point the rest of the way and winning 7-4.

"After [falling behind 3-1], maybe he realized he's got a game on his hands," Wetzel said. "Then he switched pans and really got going."

Said Roddick: "I was feeling a little bit of the pressure. [If] you get down 4-1, it might be tough to come back from, so that was a pivotal point. But I was able to tighten it up there at the end."

It's a testament to Roddick's skill level that he was able to measure up the angles on his shots in mere minutes using a kitchen utensil -- one with an angled handle at that. Nevertheless, Wetzel acquitted himself well. One day, he'll be able to look his grandchildren in the eye and tell them he scored four points off the 2003 U.S. Open champion in a tiebreaker. Just maybe not with a straight face.

"[Roddick] was very personable, so I got comfortable," Wetzel said. "I thought it was gonna be really difficult, but once I met him and got out there, it was better than I expected."

Although Roddick had to play a limited game of lobbing and running, he settled into a rhythm after a few shots. By match point, the frying pan had practically become an extension of his arm.

"I might use this in Australia," Roddick suggested. "This would intimidate Federer, huh?"

For information on the Andy Roddick Foundation, which has raised more than $10 million to benefit at-risk youth, please click here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pg2_roddick_in_600.jpg (63.8 KB, 11 views)