2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #136
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 Andy News (title suggestions welcome)

He'll more likely spend the time in New York with his girlfriend.

*edit*

From Ted Robinson's blog.

Mixed reviews on Roddick's San Jose win.

Interesting to hear mixed reviews of Andy Roddick’s win in San Jose. Some feedback focused on strong play from Roddick, a sound strong backhand that he was willing to rip up the line, his potent serve (particularly in the final against Radek Stepanek) and a growing confidence as he rolled through the week (albeit against no top ranked players until the final.)

Then there were the comments that ranged from concern to contempt for Roddick’s attitude. He derailed Japanese teen Kei Nishikori, conqueror of James Blake in the Delray final, and unloaded a verbal barrage in the process. Nishikori first claimed not to hear Roddick, then admitted an unwillingness to repeat the words publicly.

The esteemed Jon Wertheim, who shares with me a tendency to like Roddick, framed the San Jose incident in the light of recent transgressions, notably Andy’s explosion at umpire Emmanuel Joseph during his loss to Kohlschreiber in Australia, and wondered if there has been a sea change in Roddick’s demeanor. Fair question- is he being influenced by Jimmy Connors?

Here’s what I know: from an early age, Roddick understood his position as the heir to the Sampras-Agassi throne. As a sports fan, he was aware of tennis’ position in the American sports arena and went to pains to sell/promote the sport much more than himself. His triumphant media tour of New York after winning the 2003 US Open was masterful. It signaled that American tennis was set for the next 6-8 years.

Of course, we couldn’t have predicted Roger Federer. Andy could never have imagined not just Fed’s 12 Slams but also the 15-1 head-to-head dominance of Roger.

And for four years, imagine how many times Roddick has heard that line of questioning….Why is Roger so good? What can you do to stop him? Can you beat him? Is Roger the best ever? Think Roddick may tire of that?

Something else I know: Roddick has been great with young American players on tour. At Wimbledon, he has insisted on using the upper-tier of the men’s locker room, the area to which lesser players and juniors are relegated. There Andy hands with the group that has largely been his peers while the other top-ranked pros dress on the lower level. Roddick is also a thorough American sports fan, thus the concept of “talking” to an opponent may not strike him as foreign as it does many who love tennis.

Story I never forget: 2000 Davis Cup in Los Angeles. Johnny Mac, as captain, chooses 17-year-old Roddick as practice player. What Andy learned was that the role called for him to be “fresh meat,” in this case for Andre Agassi. The great Agassi punished Roddick on the court in their head-to-head practice match. And then Andre piled on a verbal assault. The cumulative effect was so fierce as to force Johnny Mac to halt the proceedings.

I have only talked briefly to Andy about that time, but I am fairly sure he has never forgotten. So when he “talks trash” to Nishikori, Andy may think it’s nothing compared to what he took from Andre. And to the treatment of umpires, well could Connors be advising Roddick that his flare-ups are nothing compared to the classics of Jimmy’s era?

The world of super models, high-stakes poker and private jets in which Roddick lives is another issue, one raised in a fair manner by Jon Wertheim. And I agree with Jon’s conclusion. If Roddick has veered in some ways, the Andy I know will return.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 03-10-2008 at 03:22 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #137
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
it leaves a shred of hope that he might show in Monte Carlo.
or not.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...r/5593400.html

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #138
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

http://blog.douglasrobson.com/2008/0...s-connors.aspx

PLUS
Bodo here and there. Bonnie Ford on Jimmy/Andy and Steve Tignor mentions it, too
Quote:
6. Roddick-Connors: I think we can look back and call this partnership a success. It certainly re-motivated Roddick at a point when he needed it. It also gave him an immediate boost that led him back to the final at Flushing Meadows and resulted in only a couple of severely disappointing losses (Gasquet at Wimbledon; Kohlschreiber at the Aussie Open). Otherwise, he and Jimbo just couldn’t climb over Mt. Federer.

From a playing standpoint, the days when Connors had Roddick moving forward more and using his backhand as a weapon had passed. (In the Davis Cup final last December, an event Connors didn’t attend, Roddick won with defense and serving.) That is a disappointment, and maybe it shows that Connors just wasn’t dedicated enough day-to-day to have a lasting effect on Roddick. If a coach is going to change even one part of a pro’s game, he has to be there at all times to guard against the inevitable backsliding. I wonder if Andy’s good form in Dubai comes from a feeling of liberation, to just play for himself. If so, Jimmy will have given him boost on the way in, and one on the way out.
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewr...-10-sprin.html

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish

Last edited by Kate87 : 03-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #139
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

nothing new just a nice article from the British press

Quote:
Roddick win proves him the world's 'best bad player ever'
By Paul Newman in Dubai
Monday, 10 March 2008

Andy Roddick sometimes calls himself "the best bad tennis player of all time". The 25-year-old American has 25 titles to his name and has not been out of the world's top 20 for more than six years, yet he has spent a professional lifetime answering questions about the deficiencies in his game.

Apart from his thunderous serve and booming forehand, it is said, the world No 6 cannot play. And when Jimmy Connors helped bring about a rise in his fortunes following his appointment as coach two summers ago, all the talk was of the genius of the eight-times Grand Slam champion rather than the man with just the 2003 US Open to his name.

Roddick, who parted company with Connors 10 days ago, insists he has not had a point to prove, but his performances over the last week here at the Barclays Dubai Championships have told their own story.

The American had never played here before and arrived, exhausted after three separate flights in 24 hours, the day before his first match. Yet before Saturday night's final against Feliciano Lopez, Roddick had not dropped a set in his previous four matches, against Juan Carlos Ferrero, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. Lopez got closer than the others but was worn down by Roddick's sheer consistency and lost 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.

"I was literally asleep on the floor in the players' lounge before my first match, with people stepping over me and Djokovic dropping stuff on me," Roddick said. "I didn't even warm up that day because I was so tired. I really didn't know what to expect. Maybe that's why I played well. I knew I was playing pretty well in my first two matches, but to come out and control my match against Nadal was a big confidence boost for me."

Roddick served 84 aces in his five matches here, but there was much more to his success. While his forehand was in great shape, the improvement that Connors has brought to his backhand was especially evident. Opponents targeted his weaker flank all week, but to no avail.

"I felt I was dictating the rallies with my backhand, keeping it low and hitting it pretty hard," Roddick said after the final. "It's probably not my best shot, but I don't know that it's a glaring weakness any more."

While Nadal and Djokovic are spearheading a new generation of players, Roddick believes he can still be a contender for the biggest prizes. "Sometimes I tell people that I'm the best bad tennis player of all time," he said. "I feel that a lot of the time people talk about up-and-coming players and say they do a lot of stuff better, but I do end up winning a lot of the time.

"If you look at my record against the rest of the top 10, with the exception of Roger Federer, it's pretty good for a guy who can serve but can't really volley or hit a backhand or whose forehand isn't really big any more. The list goes on and on and on, but there must be something there. I'm going to try to figure out."

He added: "I can play tennis sometimes, besides the serve. Ivo Karlovic serves better than I do and he's No 30 in the world, so there has to be something to it. I'm serving well but I'm hitting my forehand pretty well and there's not much I've been unhappy with this week."

Roddick paid full credit to Connors for helping to make him more of an all-round player. When asked whether this week had shown he did not need a coach he replied: "I don't think you can discount what we tried to work for in the last year and a half in a matter of five days. To compare this with baseball, if a coach has a successful run with a team for four years, he leaves and all of a sudden the next year the team are still good, the coach probably had something to do with it."

A questioner asked whether this week could signal the start of a Roddick revival. "I guess it's a back-handed compliment to talk about a resurgence when someone is No 6 in the world," Roddick smiled. "But this week has been a different level from what I've been playing."
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...er-793622.html

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #140
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kate
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #141
country flag Kate87

you're welcome

Old 03-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #142
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #143
country flag Kate87

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #144
country flag Kate87

Justin
Quote:
In defense of Andy
Roddick deserves better than the recent word-lashing

Yes, Andy Roddick is my friend. But that's not why I'm about to spout off. This is about coming face-to-face with a fellow writer who I believe took it too far -- even though he's the guy who got me this gig.

I'm writing this because a 25-year-old professional tennis player -- one who has already won the U.S. Open, held the No. 1 ranking in the world and has been the stalwart of the reigning Davis Cup champions -- doesn't deserve to be represented as a failure or a malcontent.

He deserves to be appreciated as a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer who continues to strive for excellence on and of the court. This doesn't mean Roddick shouldn't be subjected to criticism -- one of Andy's most admirable qualities is his self-deprecation and acknowledgement of his flaws (e.g., "I've been a brat long before working with Jimmy Connors, so don't blame that on him!").

I understand the symbiotic relationship between athletes and the media. The more attention and exposure an athlete gets, the more marketable he becomes. The better the access the media gets to an athlete, the better the job it can do to paint interesting, entertaining insights.

Star athletes are big targets, and Roddick has had a huge bulls-eye on his chest since winning the U.S. Open in 2003 and then falling short of other people's unrealistic expectations.

All that said, I feel my colleague Jon Wertheim took it too far in this demeaning and overzealous take on Roddick in his Mailbag a few weeks back.

As far as sportswriters go, Jon is in the top echelon. But if you're going to make statements as accusatory and defamatory as "blowing off kids for autographs," "jaded by your existence," "hating the tour," "insufferable" and insinuating that "everyone from ATP personnel to former Grand Slam champs" concur with your assessment that Andy holds himself as the "smartest guy in the room and everyone else is an idiot," you'd better do better research.

For one, referencing Roddick's charitable foundation in the past tense belittles the effort he continues to put into it and minimizes the $2 million dollars he raised this year and the more than $10 million total he has raised for the Andy Roddick Foundation. Andy lives and breathes his foundation and is making a huge impact in people's lives while using the positive side of his celebrity.

The hits he's taking for not playing "dead rubbers" in Davis Cup competition are utterly ridiculous. How about lauding his unparalleled commitment to the Davis Cup in today's era? Would you prefer Andy save his body after a tie is decided? Or have him pull a Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal, and not play at all? Does the NBA ask Dwyane Wade to play exhibition basketball games after deciding the championship?

Don't fault Roddick for a system that is obsolete. Mocking him for celebrating the Davis Cup accomplishment with a few too many drinks? Is that the worst you can say about him? He's 25, not 17. He signs more autographs then any player on tour. To state he "sucked down champagne and blew off the Portland kids" is too harsh. I highly doubt too many tennis fans left unhappy in Oregon last December after hearing them blow the roof off the stadium during the weekend.

And then the jab about the guarantees? Paying star players to play lower-tier ATP events has gone on since the inception of the tour, and trust me, if tournament promoters didn't see value in it, they wouldn't do it. I know for a fact that Andy has turned down huge sums of money while at events just because it would have been dangerous or unprofessional to play hurt or unprepared.

Go take a look at last year's draw in Bangkok, Thailand, where Andy was scheduled to play after another yeomen's effort in Davis Cup. He flew all the way from Sweden to honor the commitment and give himself the best chance to participate in the event.

When his foot injury worsened, he was faced with a precarious decision: a tournament director asking him to take the court in a compromised state in order to earn an enormous guarantee that could buy a house, or pull himself out of the event because deep down he knew his foot was injured and he wouldn't have been able to give a full effort. That's character; that's what defines someone, not the few times your emotions get the best of you on the court because you care so darn much.

I'm not defending Andy's tirade in Australia, but I also know that, until you feel the emotion of competing and the personal nature associated with it, pundits would be best served toning down their criticism.

Granted, now that my playing days are over, I've also moved over to the safe haven of the press corps. I can verify that it's a lot more comfortable in the safe confines of the media room than the hyper-competitive world of professional sports.

Jon isn't alone in his criticisms, not by a long shot. So my ire isn't just directed at him, but the institution that believes it has the right to hold athletes to a standard there is no way they themselves could uphold. Even Peter Bodo, a guy who's as respected as Wertheim in the elite of tennis writers, suggested Roddick had become somewhat of a jerk during his now-finished working relationship with Connors. And let's not even start with the wave of criticism Roddick has taken on some of the more prominent tennis blogs out there.

I guess that's just a result of the proliferation of media outlets, where any malcontent with a computer and a wireless signal can post a blog and vent his misguided angst. I just hope those with the best view get to have the greatest influence on public opinion.

Maybe a few of the so-called experts that get to sit high above the court, safely tucked away from the pain and pride of competition should have been in Chatham, N.J., last December when Andy found his own way to my charity event during a snow storm when he found out one of my other marquee players couldn't make his flight because of the weather.

Unsolicited, Andy gave up one of his few days off during the offseason and helped raise more than $300,000 for my own pediatric cancer charity. I guarantee you that every one of the 2,000 people who were there would paint a much different picture of Andy than the one splashed across SI.com's tennis section with the headline, "The Ugly American."

Former ATP pro Justin Gimelstob writes bi-weekly for SI.com.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #145
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Justin
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #146
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Justin Gimelstob again.
Justin.

*writes Justin a love letter in the SI mailbag section*
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #147
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

G1mMYy m@nN!111212!!<31!!!!!
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #148
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhh I'm so glad it got posted

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #149
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Finally! SI held this for four days, but I'm glad they worked it out and came to this compromise.

Good on ya, Justin.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #150
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, was JWertheim's blog that bad? I haven't read it but it sounds very negative. What a refreshing article about Andy, it's sad people has to keep reminding the world of his good work every now and then.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote